It’s much easier to tell our children to say their prayers than to guide them through the process. Praying out loud is a bold expression of faith. Though many of us feel comfortable praying out loud in a group, it’s hard for others to muster the courage to verbalize prayer even to our own children.
Even when we are brave enough, we often let the opportunity to pray with our kids pass by in the rush of the day’s routine. Carving out time to pray with our children blazes a trail for them to cope with life the way God created us to – in conversation with Him.
Deuteronomy 11:20 tell us to “Teach these things to your children. Talk about them when you’re sitting together in your home and when you’re walking together down the road. Make them the last thing you talk about before you go to bed and the first thing you talk about the next morning.” When it seems daunting to break down faith to our children, let us pray to the Lord for strength to pass down His truth in prayer with the little lives He’s entrusted us with on this earth.
Table of contents
- 1 1. A Prayer for When I am Thankful
- 2 2. A Prayer for When I am Sad
- 3 3. A Prayer for My Friend
- 4 4. A Prayer for Help
- 5 5. A Prayer for My Sister
- 6 6. A Prayer for My Brother
- 7 7. A Prayer for My Grandparents
- 8 8. A Prayer for My School
- 9 9. A Prayer for My Mom
- 10 10. A Prayer for My Dad
- 11 ABCs of Prayer: Prayer for children
- 12 PRAYERS FOR Kids
- 14 PRAYER RELAY MOVEMENT
1. A Prayer for When I am Thankful
God, thank You for this day! Thank You for the birds and the animals, the flowers and the trees, the lakes and the streams, and the sun that rises and sets over them each day. Thank You for creating everything we see! Thank You for the life we live, and for making each person different. Thank You for Jesus, who died for us so that we can go to heaven one day just for believing in Him. What an amazing God You are! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
2. A Prayer for When I am Sad
God, I am sad. But You are good, and You are there. You listen to me when I cry. I can cry to You and tell You what is wrong. Even when I don’t know what to say, I can just pray, “Help me, God, I’m so sad.” You promise that whatever I am going through, You will be there. Thank You for always loving me, even when I am really sad. Thank You for this day, even though it’s not been the best day. Show me how to cheer up. Help me to be happy. Help me to see and remember all of the good things You have blessed my life with, and dry my tears. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
3. A Prayer for My Friend
God, Thank You for my friend. You tell us that it is not good to be alone, God, and bless us with family and friends all around us. Thank You for giving us people to talk to and laugh with. I pray for my friend today, that they have a good day and a blessed life. They are a blessing to me, God, when I need them the most. Just like Jesus is to me. Help me to be kind like Jesus. To be a good friend to others and spread His love. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
4. A Prayer for Help
God, Sometimes I don’t feel like talking about what’s wrong. I just want to be mad or sad or frustrated. I would rather sit by myself. Sometimes, things feel too big for me to figure out. Sometimes, life seems really unfair. I need Your help, God. You are the only One who sees everything and knows everything. You are the only One who knows everything about me. Can You help me to trust You, today? Please teach me how to take what I feel and give it to You to sort out. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
5. A Prayer for My Sister
God, Thank You for my sister. You tell us that no family is put together by accident. That the people in our lives are placed there by You. Thank You for making us sisters. Bless us to be friends like only sisters can be, all the days of our lives. Help me to be a good example for her, and to be there for her when she needs my support. Thank You for my sister, God. Bless her today. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
6. A Prayer for My Brother
God, Thank You for my brother. The people in our lives are placed there by You. You love all of us like sons and daughters, more than we can understand! Thank You for my brother. He is a very special person in my life. Someone who is fun to be around, but also understands me. Our friendship is very special, and I look up to him very much. Please bless him, Lord. Bless my brother, and keep him safe, today and always. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
7. A Prayer for My Grandparents
God, Thank You for my grandparents. I love spending time them. They always make me feel special and are excited to see me. Please bless them to be healthy and strong. Protect them from harm and keep them happy and safe until I see them again. When I miss them, help me to remember all of the fun times we have when we are together. Thank You, God, for my grandparents. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
8. A Prayer for My School
God, please bless my school. Thank You for all of the teachers that work so hard to help us learn. Thank You for recess and lunchtime, when we get to play with our friends. Thank You for providing a place where we can learn more about the world You created for us to live in, and how it works. Please keep my school safe. Protect all of the grown ups and kids that come to school everyday. Protect us from harm, and help us to be kind to each other. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
9. A Prayer for My Mom
God, Thank You for my Mom. She helps me grow into the person You made me to be. Even though I don’t always listen, I love her everyday… all of the time. Just like You love us. She loves me even when I have good days, and when I’m bad. Help me to be obedient, even when she tells me to do something I don’t want to do. Thank You for my mom. Bless her to know how much I love her. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
10. A Prayer for My Dad
God, Thank You for my Dad. He guides me in life by his example and his helping hand. He teaches me how to do things and helps me with my homework. He works hard at his job for our family, and makes me laugh. Thank You so much for my dad. Please bless him, God and let him know how much I love him. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
When it’s time to sleep and you want to help your child learn how to pray at bedtime, use our Kids Bedtime Prayers.
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersShort PrayersThe Lord’s PrayerSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for Guidance
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
When kids express a desire to learn how to pray, it is time for a prayer meeting! During a prayer meeting or even a mini lesson, you can teach kids how to pray for themselves, their families, communities and the world around them. Powerful, effective prayer isn’t too regimented but it’s still a good idea to provide children with leadership and teaching in regards to prayer. Jesus, the Great Pastor (Shepherd) offered his disciples an example and instructions. We can do no less, children’s ministers!
Types of Prayer Meetings
Like their adult counterparts, children have access to different types of prayer. Some you should talk about and put into practice are:
Repentance prayers: This is asking God to forgive you for your sins and transgressions. Kids should understand that sin hinders their prayer access and makes prayers less effective. Repentance praying should not cause you to become fearful about their salvation status but they should be sensitive to what the Spirit says about their personal walk.
Praying for others: You could invite a missionary to talk about the specifics his ministry has or allow other children to talk about their needs. Teach kids how to pray for others. Some common needs are for healing, strength, provision etc.
Praying the scriptures: The Word of God has prayer power for any situation. Teach kids how to read the Bible prayerfully and lead them to passages that are especially suitable for prayer like Psalm 23, 50 or 51.
Praying in the Spirit: According to your denomination, you should consider allowing children to pray in the Spirit, that is using a heavenly language. During times of prayer in the Spirit, children become complete prayer vessels for God, who knows better than anyone, what the answer to prayer are.
Prayer Meeting Guidelines
- Keep the talk to a minimum. Give clear instruction then move to the prayer time.
- Set a special room or area of the classroom aside for prayer time. God likes to meet in the same spot. (Prayer closets were His idea!)
- Play instrumental music so kids don’t distracted by the words of a song.
- Change the lighting slightly to indicate a reverential attitude. This could be simply lighting a candle, or dimming the overhead light.
- Provide everything a child needs like tissues, prayer cloths, Bibles and flags.
- Follow the Minute Rule at first. The Minute Rule means give one minute per year of the child. For example, a 13-year old could be expected to have a comfortable prayer time of 13 minutes. Have patience with kids who may have attention disorders, allow them to quietly leave the group when their prayer is complete.
Teaching kids to pray will revolutionize your church and your child. Follow the leading of the Spirit and watch your ministry grow giants for God!
There are two aspects to prayer points for children. One is what everyone else can include in their prayers when praying for children. The other aspect is what children themselves can focus on in prayer. One of the most neglected areas in the church today is teaching children to pray.
We let these young ones be bombarded by the world’s philosophies before we give them this tool of prayer to deal with it all. Proverbs 22:6 teaches us to train our children in the way that we want them to go.
It teaches that if this is done right, our children will walk on this path for life. Are your children trained in the way of prayer in such a way that they will not walk away from it?
As a ministry we hope and pray that this will be one of the aids that you can use to get closer to that goal. For the children, we will divide these into the ABCs of prayer. Older kids, don’t worry, we won’t insult your intelligence. There is just some charm in simplicity.
Return to the very basic, the building blocks of language, and make those the building blocks of prayer. Most children are thrust into prayer without a bedrock to stand on.
This was my experience. To suddenly be surrounded by adults who are engaging in prayer, and be expected to do the same. I believe there is a logical fallacy to this method.
Prayer should not just be words that we memorise and recite. It comes from the heart. Heartfelt prayers are a result of understanding the purpose of prayer. That is where we build our prayer for kids.
Lord we bless your name for these prayer points, we thank you for those who have committed time to create them. We speak a blessing over every person who will make use of these to seek your face. Father may every prayer raised here be a sweet fragrance to you oh Lord. We speak a blessing over every child and every adult that will use these in Jesus’ name.
We thank you for watching your word to perform it. May your faithfulness be seen in this. Let your word bring transformation to schools, to communities and nations at large. We declare that this will be the birthing of something new, something revolutionary for our children, for the next generation. We bless your name oh Lord. In Jesus’ name. Amen
ABCs of Prayer: Prayer for children
- Think and write down ten things that you are grateful for today. Write down another ten things that you are grateful for in your life. These may include your family, pets, food, accommodation and so on. Gratitude is an essential part of prayer. Count your blessings, be aware of them, and thank God for those.
- Father I thank you for watching over me, and all that is dear to me.
- 2. Benevolence
- Benevolence is kindness, goodwill, charity…things that God stands for. Things that you too as a child of God should consciously stand for.
- Father grant me opportunity to be kind. Teach my eyes to identify these opportunities, my heart to want to show kindness and my hands to make things better for others.
- 3. Courage
- Courage as generations before us knew it has become somewhat unrecognisable. Values that were once the fabric of Christianity are shunned or simply ignored. Father make us courageous.
- Give us grace to stand with those who have no one else to stand with them.
- May your causes be mine as well.
- May I not be swayed by status quo, rather stand in your will.
Prayer for children should always be preceded by an understanding that there is a God who cares, a God who is always listening to their words and to their thoughts.
Perhaps even more importantly, that he can and want to be involved. He wants to help. He cares. He is also an understanding ear, one that listens when no one else will. He is never too busy or otherwise engaged.
PRAYERS FOR Kids
1)Children honour their parents, first commandment with a promise
‘Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, that your days may be prolonged and that it may go well with you on the land which the LORD your God gives you.
- Father open the eyes of our children. May they know you will and evade worldly deception.
- Give them grace to follow you will.
- Show them how to honour their parents, that your blessings may follow them in this land.
- Grant them good health and longevity.
PRAYER FOR KIDS PDF DOWNLOAD
2) Prayer for kids: Obedience
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
- Lord may your word be a light unto our children path. More than anything, may their hearts truly desire to walk in the light.
- Give them humility and wisdom to run back when they have lost their way.
- Preserve them oh Lord, even when they have wandered off course.
PRAYER FOR CHILDREN_ OBEDIENCE PDF
1 John 2:1
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
- Lord we pray for those that have lost their way. Soften their hearts that they may be open to rebuke and correction.
- Open their eyes that they may see you.
- May your grace and the knowledge of it be evident to them. Let your open arms not be forgotten. They have a place to run back to.
- Thank you, Jesus for being such a faithful advocate on their behalf, as you are to ours.
More Than 35 Wonderful Prayer for Family Points
3) Wisdom, insight and understanding and to be full of the word
- Father may your word dwell in our kids.
- May their hearts and lips be filled with your word.
- Raise a generation and word filled, God fearing men and women, against all odds. You are a God of “against all odds”.
- Lord raise Daniels for this generation. Youth who are truly after your heart. Youth who walk blamelessly in your eyes.
- Fill them with uncommon, ageless wisdom, knowledge and discernment.
- May their gifts be a source of elevation. Set them before kings, for your glory oh Lord.
- Fill our children with wisdom, with visions and dreams.
- May their hearts be filled with desires for spiritual gifts.
- By their gifts your name will be magnified even among non-believers.
- As Daniel’s enemies would acknowledge his God, let that be our children’s portion. Make them impactful persons.
- Set them apart for a standard of excellence. A standard that testifies of you oh Lord.
- Raise men and women in whom even enemies will not be able to find fault for your righteousness dwells in them.
- May opportunities find those who refuse to cut corners to get ahead.
- May the problems of their enemies provide opportunity for their upliftment.
- Lord we are believing for righteous men and women in positions of power. Raise them into positions in government and finance, that righteousness may be upheld in our nations.
4) That they may maintain their purity
This is a valuable thing that has silently lost its reverence even in the church. It is eating away at our youth. We are standing for a change in this area.
- Lord may your characteristics be imparted onto our children. We are called to be holy, as you are holy. May that desire to be like you not be lost in a desire for acceptance.
1 John 3:3
- Open our children’s eyes to the tricks of the enemy. May they not be deceived into impurity.
- Take captive ungodly desires, that they may walk in Christ Jesus.
- Lord we want our children to see you! Grant them this grace oh Lord.
5) Not to be conformed to this current worldly desire but to see the treasure in following the way of God
- Father at a time that our bodies are constantly being devalued in media and in all of society. We pray that our children may give their to you. That they would life for you.
- We come against all forms of conformity! They will be like a city on a hill! They will not ne lights hidden under baskets, rather blazing infernos that the Lord may be seen through them.
6)For our children to be record breakers and go getters just like David was
1 Sam 17
- May our children brave in standing for you and for your people.
- Set them apart as record breakers, history makers through Christ Jesus.
- May they rise for what you rise for.
7)Discipline to be instilled in our children from an early age
- Our children’s hearts will be filled with a desire to walk in your will.
- Give them humility and wisdom to accept correction and instruction.
- They will remain in your will, by your grace oh Lord.
- Stupidity will not be my children’s portion. They will accept correction and grow from it. In Jesus’ name.
- May every good seed that has been sown in them grow eternally.
- May they walk in the way that you have shown them.
- Remove them from paths of wickedness, and correct where teachers and guardians have fallen short of led them astray.
- They will not be victims of our shortcomings.
8)To get guidance from the Lord in critical decision making
- May our children’s ways be testament to who you are.
- They will acknowledge in all they do, that their paths would be made straight in Jesus’ name.
9)To always be on fire for God
1 Tim 4:12
- Lord, may our children’s walk in you be a beacon of hope.
- May they be living testimonies of your glory.
- Their youthfulness will not be a hindrance to their usefulness.
- May your fire burn eternally in them.
- Set them apart in their generation, as you set apart Daniel and his colleagues.
- Sanctify this generation oh Lord.
10) Safety and Protection
- Father may our children dwell in your shelter, in the shadow of the most high.
- We speak protection from every snare of the fowler, keep them safe oh Lord. No deadly pestilence will overtake them.
- Your faithfulness will be their shield and rampart.
- Fear will not be their portion in Jesus’ name.
- Where others falls, they will remaining standing through Christ Jesus.
- They will see the wicked fall, and know that you are God.
- They will call the Lord their refuge, and make the Lord their hiding place. No harm will be their portion, disaster will pass them by.
- May your covering be their portion, wherever they set their feet.
- Their call to you will always yield an answer in Jesus’ name.
- Long life will be their portion!!
11)Pray that children’s lives will be established upon a firm foundation biblical teaching
- We pray for parents and guardians, grant them wisdom to empower and guide the children.
- May their foundation be on the rock that is Christ Jesus.
- Let your word be know and evident in all they do.
12) For our children to excel in every area of their lives
- My children will prosper wherever your place them oh Lord.
- Even in the midst of oppression and suppression, they will rise in Jesus’ name.
- They were raised for such a time as this. Awaken the sleeping giants.
1 Sam 18:14
- Let their ways be marked by excellence and prosperity.
- May your presence be with them in all they do, in Jesus’ name.
PRAYER RELAY MOVEMENT
Our team’s goal is to continue to develop prayer aids that will continue to raise, enrich and to empower prayer warriors across the world. We are always looking to partner with ministries and individuals to achieve this goal. In 2018, we want to reach more people and expand as a team. Get in touch with us:
We also take prayer requests through our website, www.prayerrelay.com , be sure to make use of that. There are a few more resources on there for you. We are also keen on partnering with individuals and ministries that are on fire for Christ. Feel free to drop us an email.
Originally posted 2018-02-03 11:26:01.