Finding the right words of condolences to offer the bereaved is difficult. There are no right words; there’s nothing you could say that will make the pain go away. However, there are short and simple condolence messages you can send to a grieving person.
- 1 What is a Condolence Message?
- 2 Things You Should Never Say to a Grieving Person
- 3 Short and Simple Condolences Messages
- 4 Heartfelt Condolence messages on death of husband
- 5 Deep condolence message on death of wife
- 6 Condolences message to a friend who lost his father
- 7 Condolence message on death of mother
- 8 Condolence message on death of brother
- 9 Condolence messages for loss of sister
- 10 Touching condolence message on death of a Child
- 11 Condolence message on death of mentor
- 12 Sincere Condolence Messages on loss of a pet
- 13 Comfort the Grieving – Father, I pray …
- 14 5 Prayers for Comfort – Find God’s …
- 15 Bereavement Prayers
- 16 Scriptures For Comfort During …
- 17 Prayers for Strength and Comfort …
- 18 Lord, I will trust in You. – Prayers for …
- 19 Prayers and Reflections for the Bereaved – Bromham …
- 20 Prayer For Those Grieving the Loss of …
- 21 Mourning Prayer & Prayers for Grieving
- 22 Short Prayers for Our Faithful Departed
- 23 Prayer of thanksgiving for the life of our deceased
- 24 Prayer for the Bereaved
What is a Condolence Message?
A condolence message is a heartfelt or sympathetic message you send to someone in a time of sadness, specifically, during the time of death.
When someone loses a loved one, one of the necessary things you have to do is show sympathy and the most acceptable way to show compassion is to pick out a simple, heartfelt condolence message that says conveys your sympathy and try and be there for the person as much as you can.
Things You Should Never Say to a Grieving Person
Although your condolence messages or words of encouragement might not be enough to cheer up a grieving friend, careless words could hurt them further.
Here are a couple of things to avoid saying to a grieving person or expecting from someone who is grieving.
- Don’t expect a thank you.
- Do not rationalize.
- Don’t say it is probably for the best.
- Don’t say you are not the first person to lose someone.
- Don’t say move on.
- Don’t say the deceased is in a better place.
- Don’t go making false promises.
If you are terrible at consoling people who just lost a loved one, then you will find this list of sympathy messages handy.
Short and Simple Condolences Messages
These simple words of sympathy are appropriate for situations when you didn’t know the deceased, or you aren’t close to the bereaved. For example, you are accompanying a friend to a funeral, or your co-worker lost his best friend.
If someone loses an uncle, an aunt, a friend, an in-law or even a grandparent and you did not know the deceased use the following straightforward and short words of condolence:
- “Accept my condolences.”
- “My deepest sympathy.”
- “I’m very saddened to hear of your loss.”
- “I am so sorry for your loss.”
- “My heart goes out to you in your time of sorrow.”
- “Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.”
- “My prayers are with you and family.”
- “Accept my deepest and heartfelt condolences.”
- “Accept my warm and heartfelt sympathy.”
- “I am thinking of you during this time. Please accept my deepest condolences.”
Heartfelt Condolence messages on death of husband
Losing a spouse is a painful emotional experience for anyone. When we fall in love, among the things we fear could end a relationship, death is something we never include.
The best way to offer condolences to someone who just lost a husband is to say a little heartfelt word of sympathy and offer to help out.
You can offer to pick up the children, or drop them at their grandmas’, get some so groceries, bring them food as the family is on shutdown at such moments.
These are heartfelt condolences messages that can convey your sympathy to a friend or someone who just lost her husband:
- “I’m sorry for your loss. May God ease this painful period for you, Stay strong.”
- “Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your husband.”
- “May God bless and comfort you and your family during this difficult period, please accept my sincere condolences.”
- “My heart goes out to you and your family on the passing of your husband, father and best friend, know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.”
- “I’m sorry for your loss, with time and courage you will sail through these rough waters.”
- “I can not possibly imagine what you feel right now, let me know if there is anything I can do to ease your pain at this difficult period.”
- “I heard about the passing of your husband; I hope you can take some comfort in knowing that he was a great friend, and he will be sorely missed.”
- “I am deeply honored and blessed to have known your husband. He was blessing in my life, and I will forever carry him in my heart. Accept my condolences.”
- “I was so deeply saddened to hear of your husband’s passing. He was a wonderful man. You have my deepest sympathy.”
- “My heartfelt sympathy for the loss of your husband. I know you had a great marriage and loved him so much. I share your grief at this trying time.”
Deep condolence message on death of wife
Condolence messages on loss of wife
When a man loses his wife, it takes him time to realize just how much is about to change. Apart from your message of condolence, he could use your help with home errands such as food and in caring for the children.
These are sympathy messages for someone who just lost his wife:
- “Please accept my sincere sympathy for the loss of your wife. I share in the grief of you and your family at this sad time.”
- “I am deeply saddened by the loss of your wife. She will be truly missed, and I will include you and your family in my daily prayers.”
- “A person that departs from this earth never truly leaves, for they are still alive in our hearts and minds, through us, they live on. Surely she will not be forgotten.”
- “My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family during this difficult period. May you find the comfort and peace that you seek and may the soul of your wife rest in peace.”
- “I cannot even begin to understand what you are going through right now, but I would like to offer my prayers and condolences to you and your family.”
- “Please accept my condolences on the passing of wife. It is an honor to have known such a great person, and I will truly miss her.”
- “My heartfelt condolences go out to you and your family. I will surely miss her presence; she was a lovable and kind person.”
- ‘May the fond memories of your wife bring you comfort during this hard time in your life. My heart and prayers go out to you and your family.”
- “At this trying period in your life, I pray that God will grant you the serenity and peace that you need to get through this. Know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.”
- “Your wife was an exceptional person and will be missed. You have my most sincere sympathy for her passing.”
Condolences message to a friend who lost his father
The loss of a father is massive.
Your message of condolences will depend on the recipient. If it is a co-worker or a friend who lost his father, a simple message of condolence is appropriate what if it is a child? That requires more finesse and empathy.
These are appropriate words of sympathy for someone who just lost a father:
- “So sorry to hear this sad news. I’m thinking of you and your family at this time.”
- “He is a great loss to all the people who know him. May his soul rest in peace.”
- “Sympathies to your family on the passing of your father. He will always be in our hearts.”
- “May I offer my sympathies to you and your family on the loss of your father, God bless his soul.”
- “Please accept my condolences on the loss of your dad. His life is an inspiration to me and many others.”
- “I may never fathom how painful this loss is for you; please be assured that you are in my thoughts and prayers. Accept my sympathy.”
- “Your father’s vision of life was remarkable. He was indeed an inspiration to us all. Please accept my condolences.”
- “I am so sorry to hear about your father’s passing. We hope that the love of family and friends will comfort and strengthen you in the days ahead.”
- “My condolences to you and your family on the passing of your father. It is never easy to lose a parent, no matter their age. I pray for your peace and comfort during this difficult period.”
- “Our condolences to you at this sad time. Your father was a wonderful man. He always had a calming effect on everyone around him. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.”
Condolence message on death of mother
“When I lost my mom, I cried until my insides hurt and my tears ran out.” – Nicholas Owen
These are some deep words of sympathy for someone who just lost a mother, if you knew the mother well enough, a short story or mention of the impact she had on you would be helpful.
- “Please accept my heartfelt condolences on the passing of your mother, know that I’m available if you need a shoulder to cry on. God bless her soul.”
- “I extend to you my deep and heartfelt condolences on the loss of your mother. I hope you find some comfort in knowing that she was a great mother to me, and she will never be forgotten.”
- “I offer you my thoughts, prayers, and well wishes during this dark time in your life. May the soul of your dear mother rest in peace.”
- “It is terrible to hear about your loss. I express my sincere sympathy to you and your family. Know that you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.”
- “I am deeply saddened by the great loss you and your family have suffered. My heart goes out to you in this trying time and may you, and your loved ones find the strength to get through this.”
- “I hope that the Lord brings you and your family the much-needed comfort and peace during this sad time. My condolences to you and your family.”
- “Losing someone we love is never easy, but we must be thankful for, the beautiful moments and memories we shared with them. Your mother was a beautiful and kind soul, and she will not be forgotten.”
- “I would like to express my sorrow and condolences to you and your family. I pray you and your family find the fortitude to bear this great loss.”
- “Once the tears have dried up, and you have said your goodbyes, what is left is the beautiful and happy memories that you shared with your mother. May you find comfort in the memories you shared with your mom, accept my sincere condolences.”
- “Please accept my condolences, know that I am here for you if you need any help.”
Condolence message on death of brother
“A brother shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams.”
Losing a brother is never easy, most times the surviving siblings wonder if there is anything they could have done and then they find something and blame themselves.
Empathy, in this case, is more important than sympathy.
It is always helpful to offer simple condolences phrases such as “There was nothing you could have done.” “It’s not your fault.”
These simple words of sympathy are appropriate for someone who just lost a brother:
- “My heart goes out to you and your family on the passing of your brother. Accept my sincere condolences”.
- “Accept my deepest condolences on the loss of your brother; he was a kind and gentle soul. God bless his soul”.
- “My thoughts are with you and your family at this hard time caused by the painful loss of your dear brother. Accept my deepest sympathy”.
- “There are no words to express my sorrow for your loss, may you find comfort in the loving memories you shared while he was alive. Accept my condolences.”
- “He can only be physically gone but never the life lived and the memories shared. Have faith and be strong, may his soul rest in peace”.
- “It’s awful and sad to hear about the sudden and painful exit of your dear brother. My deepest and sincere sympathy goes to you and your family”.
- “Every time you miss him, search in your heart, there you can feel him, be with him and embrace him. May his gentle soul rest in peace.”
- “Your brother shall forever be cherished. In our minds, he lives on. It is an honor to serve alongside your brother. My condolences to you and your family.”
- “Your brother is the kindest and bravest person I have ever met, Stay strong and know that he continues to live in our heart. My sympathies.”
- “I know there are no words to comfort you right now. If there is anything I can do to help ease your grief at this trying period, please do not hesitate to reach out to me”. My condolences to you and your family.”
Condolence messages for loss of sister
It’s easier to miss her at a cemetery, where she’s never been anything but dead than to miss her at all the places where she was alive. —John Scalzi
These are examples of words of condolences you can offer to a friend or co-worker who just lost a sister:
- “I just heard about your sister’s passing. You have my heartfelt sympathy.”
- I am very saddened to hear of your loss. Accept my deepest condolences.”
- “I’m always there in your hour of need. May her soul rest in peace.”
- “I am sorry for your loss. I am available if you need anything or if there’s anything you’d like to talk about.”
- “I know mere words aren’t enough, but I want to let you know how sorry I am for your loss.”
- “May our Lord bless and comfort you and your family during this time of grief. Please accept my sincere condolences.”
- “I am forever grateful for the opportunity to know your sister and I will surely miss her warm smile, my deepest sympathies.”
- “In this sad time, I would like to extend my heartfelt condolences to you and your family on the painful exit of your dear sister. She was so important to our world, and will never be forgotten.”
- “I am sorry to hear about your sister, she lived a fabulous life and was an inspiration to everyone who knew her. My deepest condolences.”
- “I know that you are going through a tough time, just know that I am here for you. I am truly sorry for your loss.”
Touching condolence message on death of a Child
Losing a child is like a sword through the heart a thousand times, it is death by a thousand paper cuts, and it is not uncommon for marriages to crash shortly after the death of a child.
It is a sensitive period for the parents, so it is best to keep to a simple word of condolences.
Here are ten simple condolence messages for a family that just lost their child:
- “Very saddened to hear this news. My thoughts are with you.”
- “In moments of a great ordeal, words are useless. God rest his soul.”
- “Your loss deeply saddens me, May you find the strength to get through this.”
- “In this sorrowful time, may the love of family and strength from friends comfort you.”
- “You and your family are in my prayers during this difficult period. Accept my condolences.”
- “She will always be remembered, as I will forever hold her in my heart. God rest her soul.”
- “We will never forget the image of his energetic and bright face. May God grant him eternal rest and the family the strength to bear his untimely passing.
- “I pray that your heart and soul will find peace and comfort during this difficult period. Accept my deepest condolences.”
- “My sincere condolences to your family on the immeasurable loss you suffered. Know that you are in my prayers.”
- “I can’t imagine what your family must be feeling right now, but I want you to know that I’m just a phone call away if there is anything I can do to help you get through this. My heartfelt condolences.”
Condolence message on death of mentor
These are sincere condolences message you can send to the family of a late teacher, mentor, boss, principal or any figure of authority in your life.
If you have a good memory of your mentor, you can share it with the bereaved to recognize the role the deceased played in your life.
“I will always remember the day; he met me crying in the hallway because of some trouble at home. He took me home and told me to wait in the car; I saw him have a word with my mother and from that day, my parents never fought again, well at least not in front of me.”
Stories like this can offer some comfort to the grieving family.
These are 10 condolence messages you can offer someone who lost a teacher or a mentor:
- “I was deeply saddened to hear your loss. My deepest sympathies to your family for this great loss.”
- “I pray that in this difficult time, the love of God shelters you and mend the pain as you move forward.”
- “May God put him in a special place from where he will be watching us, the people who loved and cherished him. Accept my deepest condolences.”
- “Death can never take a good man away, for, in the hearts of the people he inspired, the legacy remains and continuous throughout generations. He was a great teacher and father to many and may his soul find eternal rest.”
- “In this time of grief, your family is in my thoughts and prayers; I will forever be grateful for the impact she had on my life growing up. Please accept my deepest sympathies.”
- “I will forever cherish his leadership and guidance. I will carry him forever in my heart. Please accept my heartfelt condolences.”
- “My deepest condolences go out to your family. I will miss the presence of the truly lovable and kind person she was.”
- “May the care and love of those around you provide comfort and peace needed to get through the days ahead. My sincere condolences.”
- “It’s so sad that my great mentor is gone so soon. I pray his family finds the love and strength needed to forge ahead in his huge absence. My deepest sympathies.”
- “Accept my deepest sympathies. His dedicated tutorship and unrelenting discipline formed the bulk of my life’s foundation.”
Sincere Condolence Messages on loss of a pet
For some people, the death of a pet could sting more than the loss of a friend. I’m not making this up; some pet owners are more attached to their pets than humans.
This means when someone loses a pet, a condolence message on the loss of the pet is in order.
Here are some sample condolence messages on the loss of a pet:
- “I’m very saddened to hear of your loss. she was a cute cat.”
- “I was saddened to hear that you lost your furry family member.”
- “I am praying for you as you mourn the loss of your family member, playmate, and friend.”
- “Your dog was downright the cutest and best dog, I’ve ever seen. Accept my sincere sympathies.”
- “Accept my condolences on the loss of your pet; I know you shared many beautiful memories together.”
- “My heart goes out to you and your family as you grieve the loss of a very lovable member of your family.”
- “Losing a pet is never easy, and it reminds us the huge role they played in our lives, cherish the memories.”
- “I am so sorry for you had to put down your dog. I admire your bravery and love; you are a great pet owner.”
- “My deepest sympathy on the loss of your dog, I’ve known that dog for as long as I’ve known you, she will be missed.”
- “Accept my deepest, and heartfelt condolences on the loss of your pet, who I know is also a member of your family, may the beautiful memories of your pet, comfort you in what must be a sad period for you.”
When someone loses a pet, avoid making statements such as “You can always get another pet.” It is equivalent to telling a boy who just lost his father, your mother will remarry soon and you will no longer miss your father. Stupid right? Yes, it is insensitive, and you should never say or imply that to a pet owner.
Remember, the best condolences message is one that conveys your sympathy.
Comfort the Grieving – Father, I pray …
Comfort the Grieving – Jim & Kaye Johns … the Father of compassion and the Source of every comfort, … Top Prayers. Prayer for a Child’s …
5 Prayers for Comfort – Find God’s …
Prayer for Comfort. If you are facing the loss of a loved one, or some other kind of shock or trouble, life may be very hard for you right now and deeply distressing. Gathered together on this page are a number of resources that remind us of God’s love and comfort in these difficult times.
Prayers for Those Who Grieve. might be helpful to read at home as you personally walk through your own journey of grief. Above are just of few of the prayers for grief that I have come across so far. I am sure there are many more out there and as I find them I hope to add them to this site. Also consider…. You can also write your own.
Scriptures For Comfort During …
Scriptures For Comfort During Grieving. … who has loved us and given us everlasting comfort and hope which we don’t … Prayer Is the Transaction …
Prayers for Strength and Comfort …
prayers for healing. A series of prayers for restoration of the sick, with a prayer for loved ones and a short prayer for healing.
Lord, I will trust in You. – Prayers for …
A Prayer for the Loss of Others. Lord, I come to you know for my friend. I come to you to ask that you provide them strength and comfort in this time of deep need. Their hurt and grief run so deep. I feel so much pain for them, but I can only imagine how hard this time must be for them.
Prayers and Reflections for the Bereaved – Bromham …
Prayers and Reflections for the Bereaved … and will find peace in prayer and the healing love of God. … we hope they bring you comfort too.
Prayer For Those Grieving the Loss of …
Prayer For Those Grieving the Loss of Loved Ones. … For Those Grieving the Loss of Loved Ones. … that we may be able to comfort those who are in any …
Mourning Prayer & Prayers for Grieving
Three Christian prayers for those who mourn, with a prayer for a grieving family, a prayer for strength and comfort in loss, & a mourning prayer poem.
To lose someone you love is to alter your life forever…The pain stops, there are new people, but the gap never closes… This hole in your heart is the shape of the one you lost – no one else can fit it.
For death is no more than a turning of us over from time to eternity.
– William Penn
Sorrow makes us all children again – destroys all differences of intellect. The wisest know nothing.
– Ralph Waldo Emerson
There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in our hearts.
– Mahatma Gandhi
It’s so much darker when a light goes out than it would have been if it had never shone.
– John Steinbeck
I guess by now I should know enough about loss to realize that you never really stop missing someone-you just learn to live around the huge gaping hole of their absence.
– Alyson Noel, Evermore
In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory.
– J.R.R. Tolkien
Prayer is a gift from God, mans greatest virtue. Our Prayers penetrate the Heavens and present themselves before the throne of God and do not leave without God looking on them and hearing them. In our memorial prayers we ask Jesus and the Blessed Virgin Mary to grant eternal rest to all our departed brothers and sisters and to strengthen and console those who are grieving the loss of their loved ones.
“The Gates of Heaven will open to all who confide in the protection of Mary” Saint Bonaventure (1221-1274) O sweet name, which gives the sinner strength and the blessed hope. We pray you, Our Lady, Star of the Sea, shine upon us in our distress on the sea of life, and lead us to safe harbour and the ineffable joys of eternity. Saint Anthony of Padua (1195-1231) O Mary, My Mother and my Lady, I offer You my soul, my body, my life and my death, and all that will follow it. I place everything in Your hands. O my Mother, cover my soul with Your virginal mantle and grant me the grace of purity of heart, soul and body, Amen.
Saint Faustina Kowalska (1905-1938) Dairy 79
O Lady, since Thou art the dispenser of all graces, and since the grace of salvation can only come through Thy hands, our salvation depends on Thee. Saint Bernadine of Sienna (1381-1444)
Short Prayers for Our Faithful Departed
O Sweet Jesus, for the sake of Thy bitter passion and the sorrows of Thy Immaculate Mother, have Mercy on his/her soul and let the light of Thy countenance shine upon him/her, Amen. O Virgin Most Kind, Mary, Mother of God, most loving consoler of those in distress, commend to Your Son the soul of our beloved (name) and because of Your Motherly intervention, may he/she joyfully arrive in your company together with all the angels and saints in Heaven, Amen. Eternal rest grant unto them/him/her, O Lord And let perpetual light shine upon them/him/her. May they/he/she rest in peace, Amen. O God the creator and redeemer of all the faithful, grant to the souls of your servants departed the remission of all their sins, that they may obtain pardon, who live and reign for ever and ever, Amen. May the divine assistance remain always with us and may the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace, Amen.
Prayer of thanksgiving for the life of our deceased
Blessed be the God and Father of Our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us all with the gift of this earthly life and has given to our brother/sister (name) his/her span of years and gifts of character. God Our Father, we thank you now for his/her life, for every memory of love and joy every good deed done by him/her and every sorrow shared with us, Amen.
Prayer for the Bereaved
Almighty God, we rejoice to know that your reign extends far beyond the limits of this life. In the mystery of what lies beyond our sight, we pray that your love may complete its work in those whose days on earth are done; and grant that we who serve you now in this world may at last share with them the glories of Your Heavenly Kingdom; through the love of Jesus Christ, Our Lord, Amen.
Death hides – but it cannot divide Thou art but on Christ’s other side. Thou with Christ and Christ with me And so together, still are we.
It is written….Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither has it entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him. Corinthians 2:9