Are you in need of a prayer for depression? Healing the symptoms of depression can be a difficult and trying experience.
If you have serious depression, or thoughts of suicide, you should talk with your doctor about possible medication in addition to prayer.
If you are feeling depressed, feel welcome to post your prayer request at the bottom of this page.
A Prayer for Depression
God bless all who are battling those inner demons of depression, loneliness, unworthiness, and hopelessness. Shine Your warm Heavenly Light down upon all of us, Lord, who are looking for our soul mates. Guide us to find peace, happiness, and contentment in our lives and within ourselves.
For Overcoming Depression
Dear Lord, I am suffering from depression and anxiety disorder. Thank you for giving me the medical attention that has helped place my soul back into my skin. Give all of us who suffer this stress the courage and strength to trust you and allow the Holy Spirit to guide us. You love and through your love all things are possible.
In Jesus’ name we praise you.
Prayer for Renewal
Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
Table of contents
- 1 Relief From Depression
- 2 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayer for Depression”
- 3 Recent prayer requests…
- 4 PRAYER FOR ANXIETY CATHOLIC
- 5 PRAYER FOR ANXIETY AND PANIC ATTACKS
- 6 PRAYERS FOR ANXIETY AND WORRY
- 7 PRAYER FOR ANXIETY, WORRY, AND FEAR
- 8 PRAYER FOR ANXIETY RELIEF
- 9 PRAYER FOR ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION
- 10 PRAYER FOR ANXIETY AND FEAR
- 11 Verses from the Bible:
Relief From Depression
Praying to God often helps to relieve ones depression. Its good to know that we are not alone in this world, and that trying times can be overcome.
To be inspired, read these Inspirational Prayers.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayer for Depression”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Lost, broke, depressed and unemployed- I have been in depression for almost 6 months and I’m really lost and don’t know what to do. I have a gambling problem and… …
- Courage- Good evening, I’m so depressed. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be happy. I can’t remember what happiness feels like. I take antidepressants and… …
- Self consumed- Hello. I’m 22 years old. I’ve been depressed for more than 2 years now, for whatever the reason is even the smallest thing. That led… …
- Take this depression away- Please pray for me I hope this depression and social isolation that I feel will finally leave me. I can finally have joy and not… …
- Freedom from depression- Heavenly Father I just lift up anyone experiencing depression to you today! Depression steals joy and blurrs our vision of how wonderful life can be!… …
- Pray for my son- Dear Lord, I would like to ask of You to take away all the depression that my son is going through now. I come to You… …
- Return to Christ- Last year I suffered several tragedies and I became so grief stricken and angry at GOD! I stopped praying going to church and reading my… …
- Depression suicide exam- I have been in depression last 6 months after I am recovering slowly I am giving my board exams with lot of effort I feel… …
- Request for Prayers- Hello – would like to request prayer for severe, chronic depression, please, and the creeping suicidality I’m now experiencing. Yours in Christ, Andrew …
- Stress free happy married life- Thank you lord, whatever you gave me in this life it’s more than enough. I am happy with me but please lord listen my prayer.… …
- Fear of suicidal thoughts- Please can you help me with my thoughts. I fear that I might take my life. I dont know why I feel like this. I… …
- Depression- Hi. My son Grant is having severe depression and we are awaiting appointments for counseling, psychologist and psychiatrist. Please say a prayer that he quickly… …
- Depression- Dear God please heal me from bipolar disorder and depression and restore me normal daily functioning back now. And always thank you God in Jesus… …
- Getting back in tune with God- I would like prayer to keep my eyes focused on the Lord. There are things that have happened with my mom that if I don’t… …
- Strength- Please help me to get through each day. Please grant me wisdom on my next steps and peace inside my heart. I am so very… …
- Strength and hope- Pray that God will give me the strength to get me mentally back to my old self …
- I am lost- Lord I am lost I am deeply depressed and need to begin to walk with you please forgive me for all the things that I’ve… …
- Anxiety Relief- Dear Lord, Help me to overcome the anxiety I have. I have always trusted you and will continue to do so. The devil is trying… …
- In the valley with suicidal thoughts- I have been in a legal battle for almost a year. And to top it off, my company, a major pharmaceutical company, is closing their… …
- Help- I’ve been feeling really down lately. I feel like I’m stuck in a position at my job I try so hard and I just feel… …
More prayers posted in: Depression
On this page you’ll find a list verses and prayers for anxiety. In today’s world, anxiety is far too common. If you find yourself stressing and panicking over events and circumstances in your life, it’s time to turn it all over to God. He is the only one who can truly ease the worries that you carry.
Everyone can benefit from prayer. As God Himself has said, you need only to come before Him and pray. Whenever you’re feeling anxious and worried, pray. There is power in prayer and in turning it all over to the Lord, who sacrificed His own son to pay for your sins. If He was willing to save you from death, why wouldn’t He take your anxieties and worries and erase them from your life. While you will still face those circumstances and events, you don’t need to do it alone. He is always there.
Many people find that once they begin to pray, they feel much calmer. There’s a peace in letting God take over your life. He has a plan and when you’re following it, you’ll find that even the bigger issues aren’t nearly as troublesome. In fact, knowing that you are not alone in dealing with them can make you feel at peace, no matter what you are facing.
PRAYER FOR ANXIETY CATHOLIC
Almighty God, You know what I need before I even ask and You know how ignorant I am. Please release me from these anxious thoughts and help me see Your gifts. Aid me in reaffirming my faith so that I can serve You as You first intended. In Your Name, Amen.
PRAYER FOR ANXIETY AND PANIC ATTACKS
Dear God, I come before You to lay my panic and anxiety at Your feet. When I’m crushed by my fears and worries, remind me of Your power and Your grace. Fill me with Your peace as I trust in You and You alone. I know I can’t beat this on my own, but I also know that I have You, Lord, and You have already paid the ultimate price to carry my burdens. For this I thank you, Amen.
PRAYERS FOR ANXIETY AND WORRY
Dear Lord, in this moment, I find myself struggling with worries. I know this is not Your will and that You wish me to lay my burdens at Your feet. I know I can turn my cares over to You, who have died on the cross to set me free. I choose to trust in You, Lord, to focus on You, and to leave behind my worries and my cares, as they are nothing in Your light. When I find myself falling to my knees, let it be in front of You, with Your name on my lips, dear God. You will ease my burden and let me live free. In Your Name, Amen.
PRAYER FOR ANXIETY, WORRY, AND FEAR
Our Heavenly Father, today is a difficult one and I come to you as a broken and humbled servant. I’m unable to bear the burden of my worry and fear alone, and I turn to You to help me. Your sacrifice has set me free and I yearn to follow Your path, Lord. Help me live in Your grace. You have forgiven me and You have erased my cares. Everything I have is because of You and I ask that You help me trust in You, Lord. Amen.
PRAYER FOR ANXIETY RELIEF
Lord, You know my heart and my innermost thoughts. You see the struggle within me, the battle between mind and heart. I beg of you, O Lord, release me from this anxiety. Let me bask in Your Holiness and remain calm, knowing that You are Lord and Savior. You died for my sins and You will not leave me alone in this dark place. I thank You for Your everlasting love, Amen.
PRAYER FOR ANXIETY AND DEPRESSION
Dear God, the heaviness of the world weighs on me and while I know You are in charge and You have my best interests at heart, I am struggling. My worries and the worries of the world crush me and bear me to the ground. O Lord, help me understand that You are the one holding me up, and that You will prevail against this darkness in me. Deliver me from the Valley of Death. Your love can heal all and I ask that you lift me from this pit of despair and surround me in Your incredible love and light. Let me see You in everything, Lord, that I may rise above this, in Your arms, and serve You. In Your Name, Amen.
PRAYER FOR ANXIETY AND FEAR
Heavenly Father, I fall before you, pleading for Your understanding and forgiveness. I have faltered in my faith, Lord. I feel fear and anxiety where I should feel faith and strength in Your arms. Forgive me, Father, and banish these thoughts from my head. Sweep away the fears that threaten to overcome me and make me new again, in Your Holy Spirit. This I ask, Amen.
Verses from the Bible:
Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought me joy.
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding.
Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to your life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power and of love.
2 Timothy 1:7
Cast all your anxiety on Him because He cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7
We can pray on your behalf by taking your anxiety prayer to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, one of the holiest points on earth. Send us your personal serenity prayer and we will take it to the church, where a priest will say your prayer in this special and religious place. We will take photos of your prayer and lit candle and send them to you by email.
Did you know that Christians can get depressed too? Many people think that if you are saved and serving the Lord it is not possible for you to be depressed.
We would like to examine depression in the bible, give you the warning signs of depression, offer you a test to tell if you are in fact depressed and then give you some biblical solutions to get out of it.
First, let’s look at some of the signs of depression, a yes answer to more than 5 of these would be positive depression symptoms:
- Are you always feeling sad?
- Do you feel hopeless, irritable, anxious, or guilty?
- Have you lost interest in hobbies and activities that you once loved?
- Are you always tired?
- Are you having trouble concentrating and remembering details?
- Do you have insomnia ? Or you over sleep most of the time?
- Have you had a drastic change in your weight due to overeating or not eating at all?
- Do you harbor suicidal thoughts or think about death and going to heaven a lot?
- Does your body ache, do you have headaches, digestive problems or cramps?.
If you would like to do an online depression test click here
In the bible several great men and women of God also battled bouts of depression. Here is a Psalm written by King David that describes what he felt as he was going through his depression.
Psalm 42 (NLT)
1 As the deer longs for streams of water,
so I long for you, O God.2 I thirst for God, the living God. When can I go and stand before him?3 Day and night I have only tears for food, while my enemies continually taunt me, saying, “Where is this God of yours?”
4 My heart is breaking
as I remember how it used to be:I walked among the crowds of worshipers, leading a great procession to the house of God,singing for joy and giving thanks amid the sound of a great celebration!
5 Why am I discouraged?
Why is my heart so sad?I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again— my Savior and 6 my God!
Now I am deeply discouraged,
but I will remember you—even from distant Mount Hermon, the source of the Jordan, from the land of Mount Mizar.7 I hear the tumult of the raging seas as your waves and surging tides sweep over me.8 But each day the Lord pours his unfailing love upon me, and through each night I sing his songs, praying to God who gives me life.
9 “O God my rock,” I cry,
“Why have you forgotten me?Why must I wander around in grief, oppressed by my enemies?”10 Their taunts break my bones. They scoff, “Where is this God of yours?”
11 Why am I discouraged?
Why is my heart so sad?I will put my hope in God! I will praise him again— my Savior and my God!
We see that David was broken hearted, deeply discouraged, his body ached, he was crying and sad. We also see his solution to his depression which was to praise God. Worshiping God brought him out of his depression. We know that while you are going through the depression you may not feel like worshiping God but if the bible offers it as a solution I think it is something we should do!
Another great man of God who suffered from depression is Elijah. He had just come out of the major victory of calling down fire on the false prophets and now Jezebel was after him. What we learn from this is that after a great victory, or even sometimes going into a great victory, you may face depression.
1 Kings 19:4-5 (NLT)
4 Then he went on alone into the wilderness, traveling all day. He sat down under a solitary broom tree and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life, for I am no better than my ancestors who have already died.”
5 Then he lay down and slept under the broom tree. But as he was sleeping, an angel touched him and told him, “Get up and eat!”
We see that Elijah was suicidal and the solution to Elijah getting out of his depression was basically for him to eat something. We are not saying that it will be this simple for everyone because each person’s process is different but we are saying that there is a solution for you and God can show you what it is.
We see in this following verse the Apostle Paul’s discouragement and that God sent Titus to encourage him and his joy returned.
2 Corinthians 7:5-7 (NLT)
5 When we arrived in Macedonia, there was no rest for us. We faced conflict from every direction, with battles on the outside and fear on the inside. 6 But God, who encourages those who are discouraged, encouraged us by the arrival of Titus. 7 His presence was a joy, but so was the news he brought of the encouragement he received from you. When he told us how much you long to see me, and how sorry you are for what happened, and how loyal you are to me, I was filled with joy!
Know that in the midst of your depression, God’s word offers hope and insight on how to get out of it. Put your hope and trust in God. Praise Him. Worship Him. Put on some worship music and sing to God, ask Him to deliver you from that spirit of depression and know that He will do it. If He did it for the great men of the bible, He will do it for you as well.
Say what you will about Joel Osteen, you would have to be blind to not see that he has the gift of encouragement. Regardless of your denominational affiliation, watching one or two of his sermons if you feel depressed will surely lift you out of it! That is his spiritual gift at work in the body of Christ and at times when you feel like you need it getting a word of encouragement from him will help. Here are some of Joel Osteen’s sermons
Here are some scriptures for you to meditate on to help you out of the depression:
Deuteronomy 31:8 (NLT)
8 Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the Lord will personally go ahead of you. He will be with you; he will neither fail you nor abandon you.”
Psalm 3:3 (NKJV)
3 But You, O Lord, are a shield for me, My glory and the One who lifts up my head.
Psalm 34:18 (NLT)
18 The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; He rescues those whose spirits are crushed.
Romans 8:38-39 (NLT)
38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. 39 No power in the sky above or in the earth below—indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Prayer for Depression
Isaiah 41:10 (NLT)
10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
Jeremiah 29:11-12 (NLT)
11 For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. 12 In those days when you pray, I will listen.
John 16:33 (NLT)
33 I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world.”
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 (NLT)
3 All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort. 4 He comforts us in all our troubles so that we can comfort others. When they are troubled, we will be able to give them the same comfort God has given us.
Psalm 118:17 (NLT)
I will not die; instead, I will live to tell what the Lord has done.
Here is a Prayer for Depression:
Holy Spirit you are the Comforter and I ask you to comfort my heart at this time. Fill my mind with your wisdom and enlightenment to see a way out of this state of depression. I ask that you would send forth your warring angels to bind the spirit of depression and evil around me. Close every door that I have left open to this spirit. Send your ministering angels to speak life, truth and hope to me. Guide me on a path of revival and renewal. Refresh my spirit and fill me anew with your joy. May the joy of the Lord be my strength. I repent for not trusting and putting my hope in you. I pray that your grace will fill me and that I will have a renewed hope in Your word and Your promises. Give me the gift of discerning spirits so that will see where and when this spirit of depression comes in and bind it up before it attacks. No weapons that are ever formed against me shall prosper and I know that I shall live and not die to declare the salvation of the Lord. Fill me from the top of my head to the tip of my toes with your Holy Spirit, with Your peace and Your presence, in Jesus name. Amen
Here are some other prayers for you. And some other spiritual warfare prayers.