Our homes are intended to be godly havens. Places of rest. Places where we, and our families can go to at the end of the day to enjoy God’s goodness and the company of family.
Our homes are intended to be sacred places. Places where God’s Name is revered, and where His Word is lived out in our lives, day after day.
That may seem intimidating, but God doesn’t call us to anything that He won’t make us able to walk in. And while you may think what I’m describing is outside of your grasp, I can tell you it is not.
God’s Word provides rich and abundant truths regarding the home.
You can pray the following verses over your home. I believe that when you do it will begin to reflect the beautiful, godly vision God has for your household. Some of these verses refer directly to our homes while others hold us accountable for our actions within their walls. Regardless, these verses contain just some of the precious biblical insight God has made available to us in this area!
Verses to Pray Over Your Home
- For He has strengthened the bars of your gates; He has blessed your children within you. He makes peace in your borders, And fills you with the finest wheat. Psalm 147:13-14
- Let all that you do be done with love. 1 Corinthians 16:14
- But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. Joshua 24:15b
- So they said, “Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household.” Acts 16:31
- I will make your pinnacles of rubies, Your gates of crystal, And all your walls of precious stones. All your children shall be taught by the Lord, And great shall be the peace of your children. Isaiah 54:12-13
- And these words which I command you today shall be in your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates. Deuteronomy 6:6-9
- My people will dwell in a peaceful habitation, In secure dwellings, and in quiet resting places, Isaiah 32:18
- Unless the Lord builds the house, They labor in vain who build it; Unless the Lord guards the city, The watchman stays awake in vain. It is vain for you to rise up early, To sit up late, To eat the bread of sorrows; For so He gives His beloved sleep. Psalm 127:1-2
- The curse of the Lord is on the house of the wicked, But He blesses the home of the just. Proverbs 3:33
- So Joshua let the people depart, each to his own inheritance. Joshua 24:28
- The wicked are overthrown and are no more, But the house of the righteous will stand. Proverbs 12:7
- The house of the wicked will be overthrown, But the tent of the upright will flourish. Proverbs 14:1
- In the house of the righteous there is much treasure, But in the revenue of the wicked is trouble. Proverbs 15:6
- Through wisdom a house is built, And by understanding it is established; By knowledge the rooms are filled With all precious and pleasant riches. Proverbs 24:3-4
- the older women likewise, that they be reverent in behavior, not slanderers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things— that they admonish the young women to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, homemakers, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be blasphemed. Titus 2:3-5
- How lovely is Your tabernacle, O Lord of hosts! My soul longs, yes, even faints For the courts of the Lord; My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God. Psalm 84:1-2
- Go home to your friends, and tell them what great things the Lord has done for you, and how He has had compassion on you. Mark 5:19b
- For we know that if our earthly house, this tent, is destroyed, we have a building from God, a house not made with hands, eternal in the heavens. 2 Corinthians 5:1
- “The Lord bless you and keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you, And be gracious to you; The Lord lift up His countenance upon you, And give you peace.”’ Numbers 6:24-26
- Now My eyes will be open and My ears attentive to prayer made in this place. 16 For now I have chosen and sanctified this house, that My name may be there forever; and My eyes and My heart will be there perpetually. 2 Chronicles 7:15-16
- And thus you shall say to him who lives in prosperity: ‘Peace be to you, peace to your house, and peace to all that you have! 1 Samuel 25:6
- But whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this house.’ Luke 10:5
- Now therefore, let it please You to bless the house of Your servant, that it may continue before You forever; for You, O Lord God, have spoken it, and with Your blessing let the house of Your servant be blessed forever.” 2 Samuel 7:29
- Peace be within your walls, Prosperity within your palaces. Psalm 122:7
- Concerning this temple which you are building, if you walk in My statutes, execute My judgments, keep all My commandments, and walk in them, then I will perform My word with you, which I spoke to your father David. And I will dwell among the children of Israel, and will not forsake My people Israel. 1 Kings 6:12-13
- Moreover I will appoint a place for My people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own and move no more; nor shall the sons of wickedness oppress them anymore, as previously, since the time that I commanded judges to be over My people Israel, and have caused you to rest from all your enemies. Also the Lord tells you that He will make you a house. 2 Samuel 7:10-11
- Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. Matthew 11:29
- He has made everything beautiful in its time. Ecclesiastes 3:11a
- I have surely built You an exalted house, And a place for You to dwell in forever. 1 Kings 8:13
- For I have known him, in order that he may command his children and his household after him, that they keep the way of the Lord, to do righteousness and justice, that the Lord may bring to Abraham what He has spoken to him. Genesis 18:9
- She is not afraid of snow for her household, For all her household is clothed with scarlet. Proverbs 31:21
- A soft answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1
- Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers. Ephesians 4:29
Praying Powerful Prayers Over Your Home
In my experience, the most powerful prayers are sincere and Biblical. If you want to have a blessed home, you must go to God in prayer. Sincerely dedicate your home to Him. And then pray the Word over your home.
I know that not all of these verses seem so obviously aligned with what you would expect from this kind of list, but what God has promised about other homes and dwellings in the Bible, He can do for yours.
You can visit the Free Resource Library to download this complete 3 page list of all 33 Scriptures included in this post so you can allow these scriptures to be the basis of the prayers you pray over your home continually.
The Value of Scripture for the Home
Continually, the Scriptures should influence our hearts and minds. And the end result of that influence within your heart and mind will eventually reflect outside of you within your home. May these verses help provide you a godly vision of the heavenly haven God desires your home to be. And while your home may not be perfect (no home is), it can still be a place of beauty dedicated to the Author of all beauty!
Hi friend! Welcome to The Warming House!
In my last post, I talked about what it means to pray according to God’s will and why that’s important. God can’t contradict himself or give you things that go against his nature.
Praying in God’s Own Language
We can know for certain we’re praying God’s will when we pray scripture. It’s like praying in God’s own language.
Through the years as I raised my kids, I’ve prayed scripture over them inserting their names into scripture where appropriate.
As I prayed, I could literally sense the scriptures they needed prayed over them the most – like God was pricking my heart saying, “Yes. This is what they need.”
Ephesians 6:10-18 speaks about the armor of God. Every piece of that armor is defensive except one – the Word of God.
There is incredible power in praying God’s Word. It’s the perfect offensive weapon when we face seemingly insurmountable challenges – and an increasingly dangerous and immoral culture. Jesus himself responded with scripture when he was tempted by Satan in the desert.
Specific Scriptures to Pray
Here are some great passages to cradle the ones you love in. Just insert their name(s) into the blanks.
Protection: “Merciful Father, I ask that you command your angels concerning __________________ to guard him/her in all his/her ways.” (Psalm 91:11)
Growth in Faith: “Faithful Father, I pray that _________ may not waver through unbelief regarding your promises, but will be strengthened in his/her faith and give you glory, being fully persuaded that you have the power to do what you have promised.” (Romans 4:20-21)
Integrity: Help ____________ conduct himself/herself in the world, and especially in his/her relations with others, in the holiness and sincerity that are from God.” (2 Corinthians 1:12)
Discernment: “Wise Father, give _________________ a discerning heart so that he/she may be able to distinguish between right and wrong.” (1 Kings 3:9)
Moral Purity: “Sovereign God, help _______________ flee from sexual immorality. Give _________ the understanding that his/her body is a temple of your Holy Spirit.” (1 Corinthians 6:18-19)
Perseverance: “My “Strong Tower”, please strengthen _______________. Help ___________ stand firm. Let nothing move _____________. I pray that ___________ will always give himself/herself fully to the work of the Lord . . . knowing that his/her labor is not in vain.” (1 Corinthians 15:58)
Courage: “Father, I pray that ________________ will be strong and courageous . . . that _____________ will not be terrified and will not be discouraged. Please allow ______________ to know that you are with him/her wherever he/she goes.” (Joshua 1:9)
A Loving heart: As God’s chosen son/daughter, holy and dearly loved, clothe _______________ with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.” (Colossians 3:12)
A Grateful Heart: “Father, help _______________ rejoice in you, you who are righteous, and praise your holy name. Let gratefulness become a state of heart and a way of life within _____________.” (Psalm 97:12)
A Life of Excellence: “Whatever _______________ does, I pray that _____________ will work at it with all his/her heart, as working for the Lord, not for men.” (Colossians 3:23)
Protection From the Evil One: “My prayer is not that you would take _______________ out of the world, but that you would protect ________________ from the evil one.” (John 17:15)
A Consistent Walk: My prayer is that ____________ will not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers. I pray that ____________’s delight is in the law of the Lord, and on his law ______________ will meditate day and night. I pray that ______________ is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf never withers.” (Psalm 1:1-3)
Faithfulness to God: I pray that _______________ will never forget your teaching, but will keep your commands in his/her heart, and that those teachings will prolong ____________’s life many years and bring ______________ prosperity.” (Proverbs 3:1-2)
What’s your experience praying scripture? Do you have a favorite scripture to pray over your family as a parent? What is it?
Related Posts You Might Enjoy:
Praying for a Sick Child
A Scriptural Prayer When Your Child is Seriously Ill
Scripture Prayers for Your Home & Family
Praying Scriptural Blessings Over Your Children
Share the love! If you know someone who might enjoy this post, just click one of the buttons below to pass it along. If you’d like to make sure you don’t miss a post, click the subscribe button at the top right side of this page. Would love to have you stick around!
I am an information junkie.
From the time I was a child I’ve enjoyed reading and learning new things. I would spend hours pouring over encyclopedias, watching documentaries, and reading biographies. And I still do today.
Often while cleaning my house I’ll find an instructional video or documentary on YouTube to listen to, because doing those menial tasks can get really boring!
But, one day as I started to clean house, I began doing something new. I began making my entire house a war room! Rather than grabbing my cell phone, I began to pray prayers over every room in the house.
Before I was done with my house, I had prayed over my entire family and home in a way I never had before and it not only revolutionized my prayer life, it completely changed how I viewed housework.
More War Room resources here and here
Here are 6 amazing prayers you can pray to make your whole house a war room!
1. The Bedrooms: As you make the beds, lay your hand on each pillow and pray for each member of your family.
Heavenly Father, I pray that You will bless and keep __________. Make Your face to shine upon them and be gracious to them. Fill them with Your grace and love so that wherever they go, their actions will be a good testimony. Guard and keep them as they are with their friends, that they will stand strong and never compromise their values. Bless them as they sleep tonight; as Your word says that You give to Your beloved even in their sleep.
2. The Living Room: As you dust the furniture and pick up odds and ends laying around pray over your family time and entertainment.
Heavenly Father, I pray that our entertainment will glorify you. May we never fill our home with those things that grieve your Holy Spirit. Give us discernment to know when to turn off the TV or computer. Guard our hearts against immorality and protect our lives from the destruction of pornography. Help us to raise our children with godly values and discernment, that they will have the strength to stand alone and walk away, even when all their friends choose to entertain themselves with the world.
3. The Dining Room: As you wipe down the table and chairs, pray over your family conversation.
Heavenly Father, bless the time we spend together as a family. May it we encourage one another and not criticize. Fill our home with joy and laughter and fill our hearts with love, grace and understanding for one another. Even in our disagreement, may we disagree gracefully and with love.
4. The Kitchen: As you wipe down the counters and appliances.
Heavenly Father, Your Word says, “Taste and see that the Lord is good.” I pray that as we eat our meals together, that we will also taste Your goodness. May we always be grateful for all You’ve given us. May our hearts never forget – even in the hard times – that You have blessed us beyond what we deserve. Thank You for our home, thank You for a loving family, thank You for everything You have given us. You have been good!
5. The Bathroom: As you wipe down the sink and mirror.
Heavenly Father, Ephesians tells us how to prepare our Spirits to go to war. I pray that as we get ready each day that we will not forget to get ready spiritually go out into world where we will face temptation and compromise. As we wash our face, brush our teeth, do our hair and makeup, may we remember to also clothe ourselves in salvation, righteousness, truth, the gospel of peace, faith and Your Word, which is on our heart. May we be spiritually ready to leave our home, even as we are physically ready.
6. The Front Door: As you wipe down your front door.
Heavenly Father, I pray for everyone who walks through this door that they will feel Your love, joy and peace in our home. Fill our home with the warmth of hospitality so that our guests feel at home with us. May our conversations be encouraging and may we find ways to build up and edify everyone who visits our home. When they leave, I pray that they will be richer for having been in our home.
Do you like these prayers? Print out the accompanying Pocket Prayers to carry with you!
Have you ever thought to pray over your home this way? I challenge you to give it a try and see how it will completely change how you pray and how you clean your home!
A war room doesn’t have to be a room, you can make your whole home a war room!
Here’s how to make a simple prayer journal!
War RoomWar Room: Prayer Is a Powerful WeaponWar Room Bible Study – Bible Study BookFervent: A Woman’s Battle Plan to Serious, Specific and Strategic PrayerThe Battle Plan Prayer CardsThe Battle Plan Prayer JournalWar Room (Music from and Inspired by the Original Motion Picture)
Rosilind Rosilind, a Pacific Northwest native, is a missionary living in Croatia and married to her hero. Together they live in the country with their 2 active boys where she enjoys fruity candles and a hot cup of herbal tea on a blustery fall evening. She holds an Associates of Practical Theology and is passionate about discipling and encouraging women. Her passion for writing led her to author a number of books. She is the author of A Little R & R where she encourages women to find contentment in what God created them to be. She can also be found at these other places on a regular basis. You can follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Google +.
Quite frankly there is nothing mystical or magical about â€œAnointing Oilâ€ or â€œHoly Water.â€ It is not even required for a priest or clergy to pray over oil or water to make it Holy. It is God himself and He alone that makes oil or water Holy in His name. All that is required to make holy water or oil is to simply pray over it with a simple prayer:
â€œFather God, I pray right now that you anoint this oil (water) in Your heavenly name. I pray that You cleanse it of any defilement that may be in or upon it, and you make it holy for the work of Your glory in Jesus’ name.â€
Thatâ€™s it! From here you can anoint away and use it in prayer, repentance or anything the Lord leads you to use the Anointing Oil with. In the past I have used it when praying over healing in a personâ€™s life, as well as using it for myself when repenting of sins or praying over another person for protection or general healing. Sometimes I would put a little oil on an affected limb and watch as God does a healing miracle either on the spot or over the coming days. Other times I would put some on my forehead and the top or back of my neck to clear my thoughts or cleanse me from sin. When I do so, I often feel lightness and refreshing in my mind and body.
Remember. There is absolutely no power in the oil itself, oil is just oil. The power comes from what it symbolizes and how God uses the â€œcleansedâ€ oil to do his perfect will.
Anointing oil is also useful in anointing homes. Throw out anything in your house that might be â€œNew Ageâ€ or have demonic roots in any way shape or form, then go around your house anointing the frame of every door way and every room. Ask God to fill your house with His spirit and do His will in your house. Doing this claims your house to be â€œHoly Groundâ€ and because of it, Satanâ€™s will can not manifest in it. Sometimes demonic attack may manifest as arguments between family members, or even general sickness.
Anointing oil is not needed for prayer, in fact (in general) prayers are just as powerful without it. Anointing oil is just another tool we can use as intercessors to break the bonds of the enemy and claim Holy Ground and victory against our aggressor Satan.
I have personally found the more I use Holy Oil from the same vial in my prayer life, the more the oil shows immediate manifestations in my prayer life. But remember! Please donâ€™t make an idol out of your oil. It is a sword (tool that is used in war) and worshiping, leaning on or praising the beauty and effectiveness of a sword really serves as a distraction from the entire battle that surrounds us every day.
Any oil or water can be used to make Holy Oil or Holy Water, simply pray over it before using it and there you go, a new weapon to add to your arsenal.
Further reading on anointing oil as written by my wife Lisa:
An addendum If you would like to purchase anointing oils accompanied with specific prayers, please visit my friend’s partnering site:
Oils Of Agreement
Other Must-Read Articles