Two Methods:Religious BlessingSpiritual BlessingCommunity Q&A
You have finally moved into your new house. It is perfect in every single way, and you want it to stay that way. If you are a religious or spiritual person, you might find that blessing your home brings you great peace of mind and serenity. No matter what your religious or spiritual beliefs, start with Step 1 below to find out how to perform a house blessing that appeals to you.
Method 1 Religious Blessing
- Perform a Christian blessing.
The blessing of a Christian household is an ancient tradition which can be found in the Protestant, Orthodox, and Roman Catholic churches, amongst others. The blessing may be performed by an ordained priest or pastor, or by the owner of the house themselves.
- If you would prefer to have your house blessed by an ordained priest, invite him to your house to perform the blessing, and he will be happy to oblige.
- Normally, the priest will walk from room to room, sprinkling each with holy water. As he walks, he may recite one or more passages from the holy gospel.
- If you prefer to bless the house yourself, use anointing oil (which can simply be cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil, blessed by a minister) to mark a cross on each of the windows and doors inside the house.
- As you mark the sign of the cross, utter a simple prayer asking God to bless the room. For example “In the name of Jesus Christ I ask for Your peace and joy to inhabit this room,” or “May Your Holy Spirit flow through and fill this home up with Your Spirit.”
- Perform a Jewish blessing.
There are an abundance of Jewish traditions associated with moving into a new house, or simply blessing an old one.
- When moving into a new home, Jewish families are required to affix a mezuzah (parchment inscribed with Hebrew phrases from the Torah) to each of the doorways in the house.
- As the mezuzah is installed, the following prayer is recited “Blessed are You, L-rd our G-d, King of the universe, who has sanctified us with His commandments and commanded us to affix a mezuzah”.
- It is also believed that Tuesday is the best day for moving into a new home, that bread and salt should be the first items to enter the house, and that shortly after moving in a Chanukat Habayit or housewarming party should be held, where friends and family gather and words of the Torah are spoken.
- During the housewarming party, it’s tradition to eat the first fruit of the new season while reciting the shehecheyanu blessing, as follows: “Blessed are You, L-rd our G‑d, King of the Universe, who has granted us life, sustained us and enabled us to reach this occasion.”
- Perform a Hindu blessing.
Hindu house blessings vary greatly according to different regions. In some places the housewarming ceremony is second in importance only to a couple’s wedding day.
- However, across all regions the house blessing must be performed on the morning the homeowners move into their new home. An auspicious move-in date must be chosen by the local Hindu priest, who must also perform the ceremony.
- On the day, it is traditional (in some regions) for the homeowners to supply a gift tray or dakshina for the priest’s use throughout the ceremony. This gift tray usually contains items such as raw, washed rice, mango leaves, ghee, coins, herbs, spices, fruit and flowers, among others.
- During the ceremony, the homeowners will often sit in front of the fireplace, wearing their best clothes and repeating mantras. The priest will usually recite a prosperity prayer to the Hindu gods, asking for prosperity, purity and serenity to be bestowed upon the people of the house.
- Contact a priest at your local Hindu temple for information on how the housewarming ceremony is performed in your region.
- Perform an Islamic blessing.
Muslim people bless their house mainly by reciting prayers – usually there is no official ceremony that needs to be performed. However, certain prayers and traditions are recommended:
- Upon moving into a new house, it is a good idea to perform a two cycle prayer, asking Allah to bestow baraka (blessing), rahma, (mercy) and dhikr (remembrance) upon the home.
- You can also recite a prayer to protect your home from the evil eye and the envy of others using the following Prophetic Supplication: “I seek refuge for you in the perfect words of Allaah from every devil, harmful thing, and accusing eye.”
- It is also recommended that you invite your friends and family over for dinner, as feeding others is viewed as a charitable act, and a way of showing gratitude to Allah. At this dinner, you and your guests may recite passages from the Qur’an together.
- Aside from blessing your house when you first move in, you can also bless your house every time you step through the door using the following prayer: “I seek refuge in the perfect words of Allaah from the evil of that which He has created”. Repeating this prayer three times will ensure no harm comes to you while you are in the house.
- Perform a Buddhist blessing.
In Buddhism, a ceremony known as
Khuan Ban Mai is performed (in certain regions) when a new house is built to protect the house and its inhabitants. The ceremony is performed by a group of nine monks, who must be invited to the house early on the morning of the ceremony.
- The monks then perform a ritual involving sacred lustral water and wax candles. As the wax melts and drops into the water, it is believed to wash away evil and sorrow.
- The monks also chant prayers in the Pali language, while passing a white string through each of their hands. The vibrations from the chanted prayers are believed to pass through the string, protecting the houses and its inhabitants.
- After the ceremony, the monks sit down to a meal prepared by the host family and their friends and neighbors.They must finished their meal before noon. Then one monk sprinkles holy water in each of the rooms of the house, before they all leave.
- Once the monks leave, the rest of the guests sit down to eat the remaining food. In the afternoon, they perform the thread ceremony, where the guests wrap a white thread around the homeowners and offer them their blessing.
Method 2 Spiritual Blessing
Clean and de-clutter your home. It is important to clean and de-clutter your home before you perform a house blessing. This will put you in a more positive frame of mind and invite fresh energy into the home.
Invite friends and family. It’s a nice idea to invite friends and family to share in the house blessing ritual with you. Ask them to stand in a circle and join hands.
Light a pink candle. Pink symbolizes love and kindness, and will invite these energies into your home.
Share blessings. Pass the pink candle to each person in the circle. Whoever is holding the candle should share their blessings for the home and homeowners. Example blessings include “may this home be a sacred dwelling for you and your family” or “may those who enter this home feel peace and love”.
Walk to each room of the house and state your intention for it. After the blessing, you may want to carry the pink candle into each room of the house and state your intention for it, whether it’s the bedroom, the baby’s room or the kitchen.
Allow the pink candle to burn for an hour. When the ceremony is complete, place the pink candle in a central location in the house and allow it to burn for at least an hour.
Open all East-facing doors and windows. This allows the life-giving energy of the sun to stream into your home, bringing energy, life and light.
Table of contents
Add New Question
Can I use a white candle instead of pink?
Yes, white is a good color to attract positive energy to the house.
Do I have to pay for a house blessing?
Usually you do not have to pay for a house blessing but in some cases you may have the option to give an offering in exchange for a blessing.
What type of blessing is it when someone walks around a home a few times sprinkling salt or sand?
Salt covenant. It’s a Christian house blessing, wherein you walk the perimeter of your yard or house with kosher salt and ask for protection and anything else for your home.
What can I do if I feel my house is haunted?
Any of the blessings or rituals stated above, usually through an ordained minister or priest with holy water or anointed oil.
How do I bless my children to so that no harm comes to them?
You can bless your children to help them get away from harm if it comes their way, but they cannot entirely avoid harm. Everyone suffers, and everyone will have personal struggles. The best thing is to be there for them and pray every night for God to bless them and give them the strength and hope to get through the next day.
Is it true that I can bless my apartment with my family members, if a clergy member is not available at the time needed?
Anyone can bless their home. Religious clergy is not required to bless your home. We were all created by the same creator who created the religious clergy. Therefore all of the creators creations are holy.
Can I do it on my own?
Not if you are Orthodox Christian or Roman Catholic. Other faith traditions (and even other Christian traditions) may not require a priest or minister’s presence.
Can old carpet and flooring be blessed or should it be removed?
A home can be blessed in any condition, but for safety and appeal, old carpet and flooring should be replaced to create a most positive atmosphere.
How often should a house be (re)blessed? Negative energy and dark spirits seem to be getting back in after about two years of blessing it.
You should re-bless when you feel negativity is making its way back into your home or if a visit from someone has left your home with a feel of negativity.
Who do I contact to have a new home opening ceremony to have my house blessed?
You may contact your local church and request a priest to bless your house.
Show more answers
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- You might like to put in some holy pictures into your house.
- It would also be very fitting to have a little party afterwards to celebrate the blessing.
- Smudging is also a great way to increase positive energy in your home. You need a sage smudge stick (or other variation of a smudge stick but sage is most common) and to burn and wave the smoke throughout the entire home.
- The Spanish have an old custom of hanging crosses above bedroom doors, to scare away evil spirits and protect the people in the house. If you are Christian, this is a good idea, if you live in a house with a painful past.
Things You’ll Need
Holy water (optional)
A rosary chaplet or any other kind of prayer beads (optional)
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 311,353 times.
Did this article help you?
Buying a house can be one of the most exciting times of life! You look and search for the one that is just right for your family, whether it is big or small. Have you purchased a house recently or know of someone who has? Have you ever prayed for God’s blessing on your home? Here are 7 simple prayers that you can pray for God’s blessing on your new home.
Thank You for leading us to this house. It is wonderful and just right for our family. We didn’t know which house You would lead us to, but we trusted You. I pray, Lord, that as You led us to this house that You will continue to lead us daily. We give You the honor, praise and glory this day!
1st Time Home Owner
Trying to find a home was so exciting! I never imagined having my own home would be so invigorating. Lord, this was a new process and I thank You for putting the right people in my life to make this happen. My realtor was very kind and answered all of my questions to help me purchase this home. As I learn to maintain this home, Father, maintain my heart and help me to always remember that this home is not my forever home. You have a room ready for me in glory! I love You, Lord!
I pray for your blessing on this home. Some problems have risen that I did not see coming and I fear how much money I may have to put into repairing these issues. I know I can fix the minor issues, but the heater is out. Father, I pray that this issue is really an easy, small problem and that I won’t have to purchase a new unit to keep the house warm. Father, give me peace to know that Your blessing is still here even in the midst of uncertainty.
My New Neighborhood
Father In Heaven,
I thank You for this new neighborhood You have led us to. I pray that as you have given us this wonderful blessing for a home that You would also bless our neighborhood. Our next door neighbors seem very kind, Father, and I pray that as we get to know them more and more that You use my family to show Christ to them and the other neighbors close by. I love You!
For Husbands And Wives Only
I thank You for leading my wife and me to this home. It is just perfect for us and for the family we want to have. Lord, I pray for Your blessing on this home that it will one day fill with children for us to love and care for. Bless our marriage, Father. Bless our marriage bed. As we walk with You, we pray that You will bring us closer to each other every day. We love this house and we love You! Bless our future here, Father.
Those With Children
We thank You for this wonderful home You have blessed us with! I pray for each of my kids, Lord, that they will be blessed with many memories to cherish as they grow older. I have so many wonderful memories of my childhood and I pray the same will be said for my kids. Help me, Lord, to be the best mom/dad that I can be for them all. Help me to be the best husband/wife that I can to show my kids and my spouse that they mean so much to me! I am excited for the future in this home and I pray for Your blessing to continue in it throughout the years.
I am truly thankful for this home that You have led us to. Lord, as much as I love this home I place it into Your hands for it really is Yours. Nothing happens without Your foreknowledge. Father, may I be a good steward of this home. Bless my efforts to grow a beautiful family and also a beautiful home. Lord, may this be a home that people know are always welcome, for it is Your home. So, I ask for Your blessing on it. May it be a place of refuge from the cold winter winds. May it be a place of security when my kids/spouse needs a hug or a serious conversation. May it be a place of romance as my husband/wife and I dance in the kitchen and long for one another when we are apart. This home is such a blessing and I will not take it for granted. I love, You!
If you have recently purchased a home, congratulations! Pray for God’s blessing in it and on you as well. May God bless you all as you continue to live a life worthy of the calling!
Read more about God’s blessings: How Can We Receive God’s Blessings?
Would you like to get the daily question in your FB messenger? Just click the button below to get started.
Share this post
: | | | |
After we took possession of our house we performed a
. If you’re not familiar with the term, a
is an ancient tradition performed by many religions and cultures in one form or another. Its basic purpose is to bless and provide spiritual protection for a dwelling. It can be done at any time, not only when you first move into a house; some people do it every year, or after a traumatic event in their lives, after remodeling (oh wait, I guess that’s covered under traumatic events!), after a visit from a relative with bad energy, etc. While looking for a house blessing prayer I came across a lot of interesting information that I did not know: many religions perform house blessings; you can actually hire individuals who specialize in house blessings to to do the blessing; you can purchase whole packages on-line with all the needed components for a proper blessing, and there are many, many blessing prayers to be found. There are different directions a house blessing can take from religious to spiritual.
We chose a
spiritual prayer. As we said the prayer we lit dried
sacred white sage
to vanish any bad spirits or energy from the house, which is a Native American Indian practice.
The prayer for the house:
God, bless this house and all who live here. Fill this dwelling with an ambiance of peace, prosperity, health, happiness, harmony and love. Let this space shine with divine light and beauty and provide a warm, comfortable haven from the world. May only beings that are kind-hearted and well-intentioned enter here. May nature’s spirits feel welcome and live with us as friends. May all who enter here receive what they need, and feel richly blessed with their heart’s desires.
We also hung an iron
Jan Barboglio house blessing
cross on the maple tree closest to the front door. We brought the
cross from our last home. It came with a new hand-made square nail which we changed out for an original antique square nail from this house!
by Jesse (San Juan Capo, Ca, USA)
I prayed everyday that I would live in a beautiful house until I retired. I thank God for every blessing He gave me. However, this one special prayer to live in a beautiful home is something I need help on praying. I was once a victim of deceitfulness. People deceived me before. and yet I forgave them.
Right now, I’m living in a place about to foreclose. My credit had been bad since I was deceived by my business partners. I have fallen before and I stood up with the help of Jesus Christ. But right now I need Jesus again, before I get evicted.I beg of you to help me pray and be bless with a home. So that I could share my blessings to my family and friends.
In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, I will be blessed with a beautiful home to live. Amen.