5 Prayers for Healing Depression
Depression is a medical condition caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals. Depression causes physical changes in the body that you can see. Medications and cognitive therapy are the best treatments for depression. But that doesn’t mean the spiritual side has to be ignored. Giving hope is a powerful way to battle depression. Praying to a Supreme Being of your choice can bolster hope if you are depressed. It’s the hope that someone out there in the universe may be paying attention to you and your troubles, and that a positive solution is possible. Prayer is both inspirational and motivational. Prayer can heal emotional wounds by offering a safe way to vent the anger and anxiety that depression produces. While prayer is powerful, prayer shouldn’t be the only tool used to deal with depression. Prayer can ease emotional turmoil but it won’t heal the physical problems of depression. Here are five prayers for healing depression.
Are you in need of a prayer for depression? Healing the symptoms of depression can be a difficult and trying experience.
If you have serious depression, or thoughts of suicide, you should talk with your doctor about possible medication in addition to prayer.
If you are feeling depressed, feel welcome to post your prayer request at the bottom of this page.
A Prayer for Depression
God bless all who are battling those inner demons of depression, loneliness, unworthiness, and hopelessness. Shine Your warm Heavenly Light down upon all of us, Lord, who are looking for our soul mates. Guide us to find peace, happiness, and contentment in our lives and within ourselves.
For Overcoming Depression
Dear Lord, I am suffering from depression and anxiety disorder. Thank you for giving me the medical attention that has helped place my soul back into my skin. Give all of us who suffer this stress the courage and strength to trust you and allow the Holy Spirit to guide us. You love and through your love all things are possible.
In Jesus’ name we praise you.
Prayer for Renewal
Hide Your face from my sins, and blot out all my iniquities.
Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
Relief From Depression
Praying to God often helps to relieve ones depression. Its good to know that we are not alone in this world, and that trying times can be overcome.
To be inspired, read these Inspirational Prayers.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayer for Depression”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Despair- Please lift me up in your prayers and my family as well. I have a tween and soon to be a tween, one child has… …
- Stressed- Lord, I need your help I feel like there is no hope, every day feels the same sometimes I just feel like giving you. Draw… …
- Forgiveness, chances and Hope- Please God, Please allow my education to work out in the program I am currently in. Please allow me to graduate in two months and… …
- Please pray- I am having anxiety and depression troubles. Please pray I can overcome them. I don’t like feeling this way. Thank you and God bless. …
- Prayer for bursary and wisdom- I pray to God that the guide and gives me wisdom, peace, and love. I also pray that I get funding from NSF’s. I also… …
- Pray for strength- Lord, I prayed I can get back my strength to withstand all obstacles in life. Lord mighty lord, please empower me with the strength to… …
- Lift me up, dear lord- I feel lost in life. I am obese, I am sick and suffering from depression, anxiety and mood swings. I have gynecological problems and I… …
- Prayer for a sound mind, good health and the ability to be a good friend- Lord, as I witness so many bad things happening all around us, I know that these events sadden us and I need you to come… …
- Prayer for healing from depression, anxiety, and heartbreak- First and foremost, I pray for healing from depression and anxiety. I have been suffering from severe and moderate depression for 8 months now and… …
- Plz god help me- Please god I’m in fully depression because I have lost every thing I have nothing this time please I want help of you I have… …
- Our Father- Dear Lord, please give me the strength to endure my future. I am old and lonesome. I don’t have a lot of energy to do… …
- Beating Anxiety- Mighty God, I come before, humbling myself, asking you for your help. You said in the Bible that we should not worry. I worry a… …
- Lost, broke, depressed and unemployed- I have been in depression for almost 6 months and I’m really lost and don’t know what to do. I have a gambling problem and… …
- Courage- Good evening, I’m so depressed. Sometimes I wonder if I will ever be happy. I can’t remember what happiness feels like. I take antidepressants and… …
- Self consumed- Hello. I’m 22 years old. I’ve been depressed for more than 2 years now, for whatever the reason is even the smallest thing. That led… …
- Take this depression away- Please pray for me I hope this depression and social isolation that I feel will finally leave me. I can finally have joy and not… …
- Freedom from depression- Heavenly Father I just lift up anyone experiencing depression to you today! Depression steals joy and blurrs our vision of how wonderful life can be!… …
- Pray for my son- Dear Lord, I would like to ask of You to take away all the depression that my son is going through now. I come to You… …
- Return to Christ- Last year I suffered several tragedies and I became so grief stricken and angry at GOD! I stopped praying going to church and reading my… …
- Depression suicide exam- I have been in depression last 6 months after I am recovering slowly I am giving my board exams with lot of effort I feel… …
More prayers posted in: Depression
Welcome to my web site. I want to point any who suffer from depression to Jesus who has healed me of depression many times. I have had a battle with depression most of my life. Time and time again the Lord has sent me the help I need to overcome this malady. I know He heals this problem. I have tried to write little stories of how He has done it for me, which you may read here. Some of the stories may seem familiar to you in your life. You have my permission to print and distribute any or all of the content on this website that you find helpful. I am not a medical or licensed professional. These stories are how the Lord has helped me and I hope they may help you.
The Lord has healed me of what was suppose to be terminal cancer and given me 30 years cancer free. He has also healed me of the depression that the cancer brought on. I share this with you because it might help you to receive the healing you need. If any, or even one person, receives a healing it is all because of the Lord’s work not mine.
The basic steps I have used to overcome my depression I share with you:
- Accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior.
- Ask Him to heal you.
- Tell Him all you feel: your anger, your fears, your desperation, your hopelessness, and your doubts.
- Tell Him if you are angry with Him.
- Tell Him about all those you are angry with and those who have hurt you.
- Ask Him to forgive all your sins.
- Also ask Him to forgive the sins of those who have hurt you.
- Ask your minister or priest to pray for you and anoint you with oil for healing.
- Ask others who believe in healing to pray for you.
- Read books about healing – many: The Healing Light by Agnes Sanford, The Holy Spirit, Who He Is and What He Does by R. A. Torry. Write me for other good books to read.
- Seek medical help if necessary. God heals through doctors and medicine.
- Pray and beg the Lord to heal you. He loves you and wants you well and so do I.
- PERSEVERE daily in your prayers for healing.
Prayer is simple. It is talking to God. It is listening to God talk to you. It is telling Him all your problems. It is asking Him to help you. It is thanking Him for all He does for you and all those around you.
If you don’t know Him that’s all right. He knows you. He LOVES you. You can tell Him you don’t know Him. You can tell Him you are not sure He exists. You can even tell Him you don’t like Him if He does exist. He knows all of this before you say it AND HE LOVES you anyway. He will wait until you come to know Him better. He will never quit LOVING you.
Talking to God is the best way to get to know Him. He LISTENS to you.. He cares about you. He is a mighty God who can and will help you.
Just begin to talk to this One who LOVES you. You can say words aloud or in your mind. He will hear you. Call out to Him in your every need. He is always there for you. In time you will be able to develop a relationship with this dear Friend. He will always be there for you no matter what the circumstances. You will never ever be alone again when you come to know the Lord.
One way to help you pray is to repeat “Jesus, Jesus, Jesus” over and over again. At His name He comes. Try it. You will never ever regret it.
As you grow in this friendship with Jesus, you will find new ways to pray. Some I use are on this web site.
“Ask and ye shall receive. Seek and ye shall find. Knock and the door shall be opened. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks, it shall be opened.” Matthew 7:1-3
Read: My Story of Recovery: Prayer, Community, and Healing – by Douglas Bloch
As far as I know, there are no scientific studies that document the efficacy of prayer in the healing of depression or other forms of mental illness. There do exist, however, documented cases about the success of prayer in physical healing, as shown in Larry Dossey’s book, Healing Words.
If prayer can alter physical matter, and the brain is made of material substance, then it seems reasonable that prayer can impact the brain chemistry that creates depression. (I have my own experience to testify to this truth.) Thus, I would encourage anyone with depressive illnesses to combine prayer with the traditional treatment modalities. There are two approaches you can take: 1) pray for your own healing and 2) ask others to pray for you.
The success of prayer does not depend on one’s religious persuasion. (As AA puts it, “there are no atheists in foxholes.”) If the word “prayer” seems too religious, think of the process as asking people to send you positive thoughts of love and support.
As I learned in my own healing, group energy seems to increase prayer’s potency and effectiveness. If you can’t get your support people to meet as a single group, you can still ask those in different locations to pray for you (preferably at a specific time of day). In addition, you may place your name on one of the following prayer lists where it will be prayed over for thirty days or more.
1901 NW Blue Parkway
Unity Village, MO 64065
To request a prayer online, go to
The granddaddy of prayer ministries was founded in 1890 by Charles and Myrtle Fillmore as the “Society of Silent Help.” Today, lines are open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When you call, you will speak to a live person who will respond to your request with an affirmative prayer treatment. In addition, Silent Unity has a free application that will allow you to submit your prayers online. It is called uPray. Just go to the App store on your phone and type in the following: ‘Silent Unity uPray.’” The application will appear and will be ready to be downloaded.
Inspiration for Better Living
24 Hour Ear-to-Ear Prayer Ministry
11901 S. Ashland Avenue
Chicago, IL 60643
Another fine 24-hour prayer line. Someone will speak to you in person and send you a prayer response, including an affirmation.
Christ Church Unity Prayer Ministry
3770 Altadena Avenue
San Diego, CA 92195
Run by the Christ Church Unity in San Diego, this 24-hour telephone prayer line was designed to serve the congregants of the church, but receives requests from the entire Southern California area, as well as the rest of the country.
Joel Osteen Prayer Ministry
Call the Joel Osteen prayer line at 713-491-1283, and someone will pray with you over the phone. Prayer support is available Monday through Friday, 7 am to 11 pm, Central time; and Saturday and Sunday, 9 am to 6pm Central time.
Or, you send your pray request in online by going to this website:
There is a type of prayer that I was taught in my spiritual studies called ” affirmative prayer” or “positive prayer.” In this type of prayer, one connects with one’s Higher Power, creates an inner picture of wellness, and then affirms its reality, as if it were already happening.
This five-step affirmative prayer is based on a process developed by Ernest Holmes, the founder of a school of philosophy known as Religious Science.
Step One: Recognition (God is)
I recognize the existence of a Power and a Presence greater than myself. This creative intelligence is known by many names: “God”, “Higher Power”, “Spirit”, “Light”, “Cosmic Consciousness”, “Christ Consciousness”, “The Divine”, “The Is”, ” The Universe”, “The Force”, “I Am”, “Higher Self”.
Step Two: Unification (I am in God, God is in me)
I surrender myself to this Presence and merge my will with God’s will.
Step Three: Realization (Making it real)
I invoke the power of the word for my situation by stating carefully chosen words of truth. I make a statement of this truth, as if it has already happened-e.g., I may say, “I am in perfect health. Every cell in my body is bathed in the Light and Love of God. I am whole and well.”
Step Four: Acceptance and Thanksgiving (I have faith that my word has power)
I accept that my words are acted upon by the law of the Divine mind. I forgive myself and all others for thoughts conscious and unconscious, that would interfere with the acceptance of my greater good. I feel a sense of peace, and my heart is filled with gratitude.
Step Five. Release (I let go and let God)
I release this affirmative prayer into the action of the law of creation. I let go, and ask my Higher Power to do its perfect work. I realize that clinging or worrying about the outcome may hold back the healing process. And so I turn the ultimate outcome over to my Higher Power, knowing that it will bring the perfect outcome, for my highest good and the highest good of all concerned.
Affirmative prayer is just one of many forms of prayer-there is no right way to pray. The sincerity of your request and your intention to heal is more important than the outer structure you use. If you bring a pure heart to your inner altar and remain open to the presence of grace, who knows what miracles may occur?
Whatever your spiritual path, worshipping with others in spiritual community is a powerful way to deepen your faith and your prayer. All spiritual traditions have emphasized joining with others as a way to gain assistance in strengthening one’s spiritual life. One of the Buddha’s main teachings was to “seek the sangha”-i.e., a community of like-minded believers. Similarly, one of the greatest spiritual movements of the 20th century-Alcoholics Anonymous-has made community fellowship the foundation of its healing work. Thus, see if you can find a way to join with like minded spirits in your prayer and spiritual practice. It will make a difference.
Prayer For Going Through A Dark Night of the Soul
This is a combination prayer and affirmation that I composed and read during my repressive episode. I hope that it may be a support to you as well.
- I accept the fact that I am going through a dark night of the soul. I am dying to the me that I have known.
- I embrace my pain fully and accept my present condition. I understand that on some level my soul needs this experience.
- Although I feel alone, I know God is with me.
- I realize that this experience has a purpose and teaching, and I ask spirit to reveal it to me.
- Although I am in pain, I know that my travail will end, and that love, inspiration and direction will reenter my life.
- I ask the universe to give me strength, courage and guidance to see my way to my rebirth.
- I give thanks for my situation just the way it is.
A Prayer Answered
Here is a beautiful poem, sent to me by a visitor to my site, that beautifully describes God’s loving response to a prayer for healing.
The darkness engulfed my soul;
My screams of pain deafened me,
Falling further away from reality.
Quieting the din of the storm;
You reached for me gently,
Within Your warmth I began to see.
Your love broke through;
And You patiently awaited,
Until at last the darkness faded.
To my Lord that came for me;
Deep within the darkness,
To suffer not eternally.
More Promises of Deliverance
May these words bring hope and encouragement to those who read them.
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore will we not fear, though the earth be removed,
and the mountains be carried to the midst of the sea.”
“The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?
The Lord is the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?”
“Though I walk through the shadow of the valley of death, I will fear no evil;
for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.”
“The will of God will never take you
where the grace of God will not protect you.
Don’t give up five minutes before the miracle.”
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that
there was within me an invincible summer.”
“The Lord is near to them that are brokenhearted,
and He saves those that are humble in spirit.
Many are the afflictions of the righteous,
but the Lord delivers him out of them all.”
“I will turn their mourning into joy, and will comfort them,
and will make them rejoice from their sorrow.”
“Remember, no human condition is ever permanent; then you will not be
overjoyed in good fortune nor too sorrowful in misfortune.”
“For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy
to be compared to the glory which shall be revealed in us.”
“Our greatest glory is not in never falling,
but in rising every time we fall.”
“Though he fall he shall not be utterly cast down,
for the Lord upholds him with His hand.”
“Although the world is full of suffering,
it is also full of the overcoming of it.”
“Enlightenment begins on the other side of despair.”
“But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their faith:
they shall mount up with wings as eagles.
They shall run and not be weary, and they shall walk and not faint.”
“Sometimes I get discouraged and feel my work’s in vain;
But then the Holy Spirit revives my soul again.”
Martin Luther King, Jr.
“The Light of God surrounds me.
The Love of God enfolds me.
The Power of God protects me.
The Presence of God watches over me.
Wherever I am, God is.”
The Prayer of Protection
“Let nothing disturb thee, nothing affright thee.
All things are passing, God never changes.
Patient endurance attaineth to all things.
Who God possesses, in nothing is wanting.
Alone God suffices.”
St. Theresa of Avila