General Bible suggestions how to pray to God. Thanksgiving keeps us in a right standing with God. “In everything give thanks; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” (1 Thessalonians. 5:18). We are indebted to God because all that we have comes from Him. We don’t deserve the gift of life and all the blessings attached to it, but He gave it to us freely. So, God deserves our thanksgiving prayer points. When we thank God for being the giver of all good gifts, we realize that we could not even exist without His blessings. Returning thanks to the giver of all, shows God that we are grateful for what He has done.
We must come to that state of knowing that all we have comes from God. He expects us to show gratitude for all His benefits towards us (James 1:17). Imbibing a daily attitude of rendering thanksgiving prayer points to God will drive our focus on blessings rather than our wants. “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good,for those who are called according to his purpose” (Romans 8:28). We are instructed to thank God for everything, whether good or bad (1 Thessalonians 5:18). Thanking God in the midst of the challenges of life, takes out grief and sadness away from us. But when we live a life void of thankfulness to God, we become self-centered and arrogant. Then pride creeps into our heart.
As Christians, It is very important to daily pray Thanksgiving prayer points. It will help build our relationship with God. The fact that we all have reasons to be thankful, justifies why the prayer of thanksgiving is very important.
Table of contents
- 1 Thanksgiving prayer points
- 2 Prayer 1: A Daily Thanksgiving Prayer
- 3 Prayer 2: A Prayer for a Thankful Heart
- 4 Prayer 3: A Short Prayer of Thanks
- 5 Prayer 4: A Prayer to Teach Kids Thankfulness
- 6 Prayer 5: A Thanksgiving Day Prayer
- 7 Prayer 6: Thanksgiving Song (makes a wonderful prayer!)
- 8 Prayer 7: 17 Statements of Gratitude
- 9 Thanksgiving Prayers from Scripture:
Thanksgiving prayer points
Every thanksgiving prayer we render to God as the fruit of our lips builds our love for God. It also proves our unshakable faith in Him. Every moment of days is not even enough to count your blessings and pray thanksgiving prayer points. Nothing we have is actually really ours. It all belongs to Him. Bible, Psalm 24:1 says, “The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof, the world and those who dwell therein”.
General Bible suggestions how to pray to God
The following are a few prayer points of thanksgiving to God to express our gratitude to Him for all His benefits towards us.
- Pray and thank the Lord for bringing you this far and for all His benefits towards you: “Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation” (Psalm 68:19)
His grace is what made all His good gifts available to us. This is why we are obliged to pray Thanksgiving prayer points until our last breath. It is important to thank God for yesterday, today and tomorrow. We must cultivate the daily habit of showing gratitude to God. Knowing that we don’t deserve all the gifts we are receiving from God, should cause us to give Him thanks at all times and for all things.
- Pray and thank God for always been there whenever you call on Him, and for His protection, provision, and strength upon your life (Psalm 18:3)
We need to thank our creator for His breath upon us, for His presence that strives with us, for our daily bread that comes from Him, for His never-ending protection and guidance, the list goes on and on. All these are the wonders of His works. Thank Him!
- Pray and thank God for the precious gift of Salvation.“The Lord lives, and blessed be my rock, and exalted be the God of my salvation” (Psalm 18:46)
We need to pray and thank God for giving us His only begotten son Jesus Christ, to die for our sins in order to reconcile us back to Himself. This has brought us redemption and given us access to enjoying His grace. We don’t deserve it, but he gave it to us freely, so we should thank God for this.
- Thank God for making you victorious over sin and over all the devices of the devil: “But thanks be to God, which gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ” (1 Corinthians 15:57)
Christians face temptations, trials and troubles oftentimes in life journey. All these are the devices the enemy’s uses in order to cause us to sin. But God has given us victory and is still giving us: This is a great thing God has done for us!
- Pray and thank God for the privilege to be at His service and to tell of His wonderful works to others. “O give thanks unto the Lord; call upon his name; make known his deeds among the people” (Psalm 105:1)
Throughout the Bible, especially in the book of Psalms, Thanksgiving Prayers are proclaimed by people who are opportune to carry out God’s purpose and task. The relevance is to remind us of what God has done for us, thereby showing God’s glory to others.
- Daily enter His gates with thanksgiving and His courts with Praises, bless His holy name (Psalm 100:4)
Prayer of thanksgiving should be a daily lifestyle for all Christians. It should be as natural to us as breathing. Doing this will make God know that we are very thankful to Him and that He’s always being there for us (Ephesians 5:20).
The importance of thanksgiving cannot be overemphasized. Thanksgiving and praise intertwine. You can’t effectively praise God without also being thankful to Him. When you make it a habit of thanking God for what He has done, it brings you to the platform of receiving greater blessings from Him. He alone deserves our praise.
Also read: THANKSGIVING PRAYER FOR EVERYDAY
In Luke 17:15-19, Jesus talks about the importance of giving thanks in the story of the grateful Leper:
And one of them, when he saw that he was healed, returned, and with a loud voice glorified God, and fell down on his face at His feet, giving Him thanks. And he was a Samaritan.
So Jesus answered and said, “Were there not ten cleansed? But where are the nine? 18 Were there not any found who returned to give glory to God except this foreigner?” And He said to him, “Arise, go your way. Your faith has made you well.”
Are you like the grateful leper or one of the nine that did not deem it necessary to come back and say Thank you?
Well this is your moment of change. It is time to embrace the culture of saying Thank You at all times. Continue living your life from now on with an attitude of thankfulness and you will see the kind of doors that will open in your favor.
1 Thessalonians 5:18; Psalm 75:1; Psalm 100:1-5; Psalm 136:1-26; 1 Chronicles 16:8 and Colossians 2:6-7.
Father I give You thanks for:
- The salvation of my soul
- Loving me so much that you sent your only begotten son to die for the remission of my sins
- The wonder working power in the blood of Jesus Christ
- Being my portion in the land of the living
- The fruit of your spirit working wonders in me
- Never leaving or forsaking me for even one second
- Keeping me and all that concerns me in perfect peace that surpasses all understanding
- Hearing me in the day of trouble and sending me help from your holy sanctuary
- Sending your angels to take charge and keep me in all my ways
- Loving me so much You sent your only begotten Son to die on the cross of Calvary for the remission of my sins
- Being my Refuge and my Fortress; my God in whom I trust
- Arising and causing my enemies to scatter
- Preserving my going out and my coming in from this time forth and even for evermore
- Bringing me to a place of maturity and deeper life
- Supplying all my needs according to Your riches in glory through Christ Jesus
- Turning my travails to triumphs, my scars to stars and my pain to gain
- Causing every dark place in my life to receive your light
- Ensuring that every spirit of intimidation and oppression in my life, suffers defeat
- Enlarging my financial, spiritual, marital and physical coasts
- Giving me possession of where ever the soles of my feet tread
- Making a way for me where there seems to be no way
- Giving ear to my words and considering my sighing
- Making stumbling blocks in my life to stepping stones
- Your goodness and mercy following me all the days of my life
- Contending with those that contend with me
- Loading me every single day with divine daily benefits
- Turning my disappointments to appointments
- Delighting in me because I fear you
- The plans You have for me; plans to prosper me and not harm me, plans to give me hope and a future
- Revealing deep and secret things to me
- Instructing and teaching me in the way which I should go and for guiding me with your eye
- Keeping me from presumptuous sins and not letting them have dominion over me
- Making the crooked places in my life straight
- Turning my captivity around and causing me to be like them that dream
- Making me an everlasting pride and the joy of all generations
- Giving me the grace to wait on you and not man
- Visiting my body and uprooting every malfunctioning organ
- Building a hedge of protection around me and my family
- Making a way for me where it seemed like there was no way
- Unmerited favor and divine protection, in Jesus mighty name I pray, Amen!
May Olusola is the Founder and Publisher of MannaEXPRESS.
Nov 24, 2017May Olusola
- Latest Posts
Since 2006, I have served as the founder and publisher of MannaEXPRESS. Out of a desire to fulfill a mandate of inspiring and encouraging people, Ibuilt MannaEXPRESS from concept to completion by the special grace of God and a team of extraordinary people.
Latest posts by May Olusola (see all)
Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to gather with family and friends and reflect on the blessings of the last year. Many of us experience renewed hope and faith during the Thanksgiving holiday because we turn our eyes onto what is most important. What if we spent time each day in giving thanks and prayer? How could God grow out faith and trust if we lived a life of thanks through all seasons and not just Thanksgiving time? When your heart is filled with gratitude, there is little room to worry or complain.
We would love to encourage and help you along the way toward greater hope and joy! Below are 7 thanksgiving prayers you can use not only for Thanksgiving day but throughout the year. Start living out the promises of God that Jesus came “that they may have life, and have it to the full.” John 10:10.
Prayer 1: A Daily Thanksgiving Prayer
“Dear God, Thank you for your amazing power and work in our lives, thank you for your goodness and for your blessings over us. Thank you for your great love and care. Thank you for your sacrifice so that we might have freedom and life. Forgive us for when we don’t thank you enough, for who you are, for all that you do, for all that you’ve given. Help us to set our eyes and our hearts on you afresh. Renew our spirits, fill us with your peace and joy. We love you and we need you, this day and every day. We give you praise and thanks, for You alone are worthy! In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
– Debbie McDaniel, Crosswalk.com Contributor
Prayer 2: A Prayer for a Thankful Heart
“Lord, teach me to offer you a heart of thanksgiving and praise in all my daily experiences of life. Teach me to be joyful always, to pray continually and to give thanks in all my circumstances. I accept them as Your will for my life (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18). I long to bring pleasure to Your heart daily. Break the power of the enemy in my life. Defeat Him through my sacrifice of praise. Change my outlook and attitude into one of joyful contentment with my present circumstances. I thank You for…
Jesus, I want to be like You who obeyed the Father without complaint. You embraced the chains of humanity when You walked this earth. Convict me whenever I complain or compare myself with others. Give me Your attitude of humility and thankful acceptance. I want to be like the Apostle Paul who learned contentment in every circumstance. I choose to continually offer You a sacrifice of praise, the fruit of lips that give praise to Your name (Hebrews 13:15). I long to bring a smile to Your face. Teach me the power of a thankful heart. I know that Your truth dwells in a thankful heart.
“I will give thanks to the LORD because of His righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High. O LORD, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! You have set your glory above the heavens” (Psalm 7:17-18:1). In Jesus’ name, amen.”
– Debbie Przybylski, Intercessors Arise International
Prayer 3: A Short Prayer of Thanks
“God, sometimes life gets me down and I find it hard to see things to be thankful for. Open my eyes to see the gifts you’ve given me in my life. I’m going to start by thanking you for loving me enough to come to earth and die so we can live together forever. Amen.”
– Wendy van Eyck, Contributor
Prayer 4: A Prayer to Teach Kids Thankfulness
“Lord, I pray that the message of Christ and his sacrifice is the root of gratitude in my heart. That His gracious gift leads me to thankful living, setting an example for my children. That they will have their own relationship with Jesus one day, and that You would grow gratitude in their hearts out of the acceptance of Jesus as their Savior. Lead us to do everything in the name of Jesus and give thanks to You through Him.”
– Marie Osborne, Contributor
Prayer 5: A Thanksgiving Day Prayer
“O Heavenly Father:
We thank Thee for food and remember the hungry.
We thank Thee for health and remember the sick.
We thank Thee for friends and remember the friendless.
We thank Thee for freedom and remember the enslaved.
May these remembrances stir us to service.
That Thy gifts to us may be used for others. Amen.”
– “Dear Abby” Columnist
Prayer 6: Thanksgiving Song (makes a wonderful prayer!)
“Grateful for each hand we hold
Gathered round this table.
From far and near we travel home,
Blessed that we are able.
Grateful for this sheltered place
With light in every window,
Saying welcome, welcome, share this feast
Come in away from sorrow.
Father, mother, daughter, son,
Neighbor, friend and friendless;
All together everyone in the gift of loving-kindness.
Grateful for whats understood,
And all that is forgiven;
We try so hard to be good,
To lead a life worth living.
Father, mother, daughter, son,
Neighbor, friend, and friendless;
All together everyone, let grateful days be endless.
Grateful for each hand we hold
Gathered round this table.”
– Mary Chapin Carpenter – Thanksgiving Song Lyrics
Prayer 7: 17 Statements of Gratitude
“Thank you, God for the times You have said “no.” They have helped me depend on You so much more.
Thank you, God, for unanswered prayer. It reminds me that You know what’s best for me, even when my opinion differs from Yours.
Thank You, Lord, for the things you have withheld from me. You have protected me from what I may never realize.
Thank You, God, for the doors You have closed. They have prevented me from going where You would rather not have me go.
Thank you, Lord, for the physical pain You’ve allowed in my life. It has helped me more closely relate to Your sufferings on my behalf.
Thank you, Lord, for the alone times in my life. Those times have forced me to lean in closer to You.
Thank you, God, for the uncertainties I’ve experienced. They have deepened my trust in You.
Thank You, Lord, for the times You came through for me when I didn’t even know I needed a rescue.
Thank You, Lord, for the losses I have experienced. They have been a reminder that You are my greatest gain.
Thank You, God, for the tears I have shed. They have kept my heart soft and mold-able.
Thank You, God, for the times I haven’t been able to control my circumstances. They have reminded me that You are sovereign and on the throne.
Thank You, God, for those people in my life whom You have called home to be with You. Their absence from this earth keeps my heart longing for heaven.
Thank You, God, that I have an inheritance in the heavenly places…something that this world can never steal from me and I could never selfishly squander.
Thank You, God, for the greatest gift You could ever give me: forgiveness through Your perfect Son’s death on the cross on my behalf.
Thank You, God, for the righteousness You credited toward me, through the death and resurrection of Jesus. It’s a righteousness I could never earn or attain on my own.
Thank You, Father, that You know me, You hear me, and You see my tears. Remind me through difficult times that You are God, You are on the throne, and You are eternally good.
And thank You, Lord, not only for my eternal salvation, but for the salvation You afford every day of my life as You save me from myself, my foolishness, my own limited insights, and my frailties in light of Your power and strength.”
– Cindy McMenamin, Author
Thanksgiving Prayers from Scripture:
Psalm 100Psalm 118:29Philippians 4:6Psalm 103: 1-5Psalm 28:7Psalm 136:1-5
Read more Bible Verses for Thanksgiving at BibleStudyTools.com
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersThe Prayer of JabezShort PrayersThe Lord’s PrayerSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessIntercessory PrayerIrish Prayers and BlessingsAdvent PrayersChristmas PrayersThanksgiving PrayerEaster Prayers
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
Take a moment to praise and worship the LORD.
Start by singing praises to the Lord and worshiping Him for a while (at least 15 minutes.) Then begin to pray like this …
- From today, whatever I do in word or deed, I do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him. (Col.3:17)
- I join the heavenly hosts to say: “We give thanks to you, Lord God Almighty, the One who is and who was, because you have taken your great power and have begun to reign. (Rev 11:17)
- I give thanks always for all things to God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ (Eph 5:20)
- I add my voice whenever the living beings give glory and honor and thanks to the one sitting on the throne,the one who lives forever and ever (Rev 4:9).
- In every thing I give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning me (1 Thes 5:18).
- I give thanks to the Father, who has qualified me to share in the inheritance of the saints in Light. ( Col 1:12)
- I give thanks to the LORD, for he is good: for his mercy endures for ever. – Ps 107:1
- I give thanks to the LORD and proclaim his greatness; the whole world mus hear what he has done. – Ps 105:1
- I give thanks to the God of heaven, for his steadfast love endures forever. – Ps 136:26
- Save us, O God our Savior; gather us and deliver us from the nations, that we may give thanks to your holy name, that we may glory in your praise.” – 1 Chr 16:35
- I arise to give thanks to you because of your righteous judgments. – Ps 119:62
- I enter His gates with thanksgiving And His courts with praise, blessed be your holy name. – Ps 100:4
- You are my God, and I give thanks to you; my God, I honor you highly. – Ps 118:28
- In the day of my deliverance, I will say: “Give thanks to the LORD, call upon his name, make known his deeds among the peoples, proclaim that his name is exalted. – Isa 12:4
- Open to me the gates of righteousness; I shall enter through them, I shall give thanks to the LORD. – Ps 118:19
- I thank you for answering my prayer and giving me victory! – Ps 118:21
- But we your people, the sheep of your pasture, will give thanks to you forever; from generation to generation we will recount your praise. – Ps 79:13
- With my mouth I will give thanks abundantly to the LORD; And in the midst of many I will praise Him – Ps 109:30
- “I will praise you, O LORD. Although you were angry with me, your anger has turned away and you have comforted me. –Isa 12:1
- I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Wonderful are Your works, And my soul knows it very well. –Ps 139:14.
- To you, O God of my fathers, I give thanks and praise, for you have given me wisdom and might, and have now made known to me what we asked of you, for you have made known to us the king’s matter.” – Dan 2:23
- I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who has given me strength, that he considered mefaithful, appointing me to his service. – 1 Tim 1:12
- The LORD lives! Thanks be to my rock! May God, the rock of my salvation, be glorified– 2 Sam 22:47
- I give thanks always for all things to God the Father through our Lord Jesus Christ. –Eph 5:20
- God, the God of Israel, is awe-inspiring in his holy place. He gives strength and power to his people. Thanks be to God! – Ps 68:35