How to pray for teachers, students, and schools consistently
I’ve been a student, a teacher, and now a parent of a student, and through it all I’ve learned that everyone involved in the education of school-age children could use our prayers. Whether you are a public school, private school, or homeschool family, a great way to start the school year is to pray for teachers, students, and schools. Our classrooms need our prayers!
If you need a little inspiration for how to pray for teachers, students, and schools, here are three of my favorite ways to do it:
Table of contents
- 1 Jericho-style prayer walk around the school
- 2 Pray through the school
- 3 Pray for teachers and students with Scriptures – 5 Bibles verses
- 4 Get the FREE Printables: 10 Powerful Prayers for Your Child’s School Year + 5 Bonus Prayers for Teachers
- 5 Your Turn
- 6 Helpful Prayer Resources for Parents
- 7 Read Bible Verses about Teachers
- 8 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Teachers”
- 9 Recent prayer requests…
Jericho-style prayer walk around the school
No marching needed, but head out to the school grounds and pray while walking around the school! Go with a list of seven different areas to pray for and and pray for one each time you walk around, or go without a plan and let God lead your prayers. And if you homeschool, you can do this around the perimeter of your home. For inspiration, watch this video of pastor Mark Batterson talk about his prayer walk around Washington D.C., from his video bible study, The Circle Maker.
Pray through the school
My last year of teaching, I had the privilege of walking through the elementary school where I worked along with some parents from the community during the week before school started and pray over each classroom. We received permission from the administration to do this after work hours and it was amazing. We prayed for each teacher by name and prayed over common areas such as the lunch room, gym, and playground as well. This can be done throughout the home for homeschoolers. And ask someone to pray for YOU as the teacher in that case, too!
Pray for teachers and students with Scriptures – 5 Bibles verses
There are so many areas where this could be applied, but here are five examples of scriptures for teachers:
The authorities are God’s servants, sent for your good. — Romans 13:4
The student is not above the teacher, nor a servant above his master. — Matthew 10:24
All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness. — 2 Timothy 3:16
Command and teach these things. — 1 Timothy 4:11
In everything set them an example by doing what is good.In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us. — Titus 2:7
Pick out specific scriptures when praying for students, teachers, aides, staff, and administration. Keep them on notecards in the car with you to pray while you wait in line to pick up your kids after school.
Pray for Teachers and Students – Sample Prayer # 1
Lord, I pray the students in this school would show proper respect for the authorities you have placed over them and recognize all authority comes from you. Help them to speak and act in a way that is respectful of all teachers, administrators, and other school staff. (Inspired by Romans 13:1-5)
Pray for Teachers and Students – Sample Prayer # 2
Almighty God, You have given my kids all the talents, abilities, and spiritual gifts they need to follow Your plan for their lives. Lord, help them use those gifts to serve You first and others second, so that Your will is accomplished in their lives. Lord, fill their lives with trusted teachers and advisers who can lead them toward You and Your promises. Help them turn to you as they learn and grow so they can lead fruitful and prosperous lives. Amen. — by Erin MacPherson, excerpted with permission from The Christian Mama’s Guide to the Grade School Years
Pray for Teachers and Students – Sample Prayer # 3
Almighty God, because we love our children, because our hearts yearn for their schools, we cannot remain silent. We will not stop praying until their righteousness shines like the dawn, and their salvation blazes like a burning torch. May they be called the Holy People and the People Redeemed by the Lord. And may their schools be known as the Desirable Place and the City No Longer Forsaken (Isaiah 62:1, 12). In Jesus’ name, amen. – by Fern Nichols, excerpted with permission from Moms in Prayer: Standing in the Gap for Your Children
Get the FREE Printables: 10 Powerful Prayers for Your Child’s School Year + 5 Bonus Prayers for Teachers
How should parents pray for their child’s school year? How can we engage in spiritual warfare on their behalf and pray for all the social and academic challenges they will face?
These prayers are based on Scriptures and will teach you to pray with confidence for your child’s protection, spiritual growth, and intellectual development in the new school year.
Get the FREE printable school-year prayers now…
* * *
In what ways do you pray over your kids and their teachers at the start of the school year and throughout the year? Leave a comment on our blog. We’d love to hear from you!
Helpful Prayer Resources for Parents
P.S. When you sign up to receive our free prayers printable, you’ll get a discount code to save on the products below!
In a teacher’s prayer for students, you need to listen to your heart. As you get to know your students, you will find the individual needs and attributes of each one. Pray for God to direct your heart.
Consider the Apostle Paul’s prayers and advice to young Timothy. “Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses” (1 Timothy 6:12). Teacher’s Prayer for Students – Ideas
- Pray that your students be interested in spiritual things. Pray that God will draw them to salvation and a growing relationship with Him. Pray that you will be an example of God’s love to them.
- Pray for their home situations — that their homes will be filled with love and encouragement, instead of hate. Pray for protection from abuse or emotional harm. Pray for supportive and loving parents to guide these children in their lives.
- Pray for the interpersonal relationships in your classroom. May God develop life-long friendships and remove anger and quarrels from those who don’t get along.
- Pray that students will persevere, even in times of doubt and discouragement. Students may need extra help, so pray for the right mentors to come along side them and encourage them.
- Pray against harm. Pray for God to remove thoughts of suicide or self-injury. Pray for God’s protection of your classroom and school.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
– We have all
and deserve God’s judgment.
, the Father, sent His only Son to satisfy that judgment for those who believe in Him.
, the creator and eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He
for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was
rose from the dead
according to the
. If you truly believe and trust this in your heart, receiving Jesus alone as your
, declaring, “
Jesus is Lord
,” you will be saved from
and spend eternity with God in heaven.
What is your response?
Yes, today I am deciding to follow JesusYes, I am already a follower of JesusI still have questions
We offer prayers for teachers because teachers have the enormous responsibility of imparting knowledge to our children, and their job is often difficult!
Prayers for teachers are to be said for and by them, to bring guidance and divine support so that they may bring the word of God to others. The prayers are for Sunday school and religious educators, but apply in principle to all teachers.
There is also a prayer that teachers may say to request guidance for difficult and troubled students.
“Luke 6:40: There is no disciple who is superior to his teacher; but every one whose instruction is complete will be like his teacher.”
The following has been submitted by Olga de Juana. Thanks Olga!
Help me to be a fine teacher,
to keep peace in the classroom,
peace between my students and myself,
to be kind and gentle
to each and every one of my students.
Help me to be merciful to my students,
to balance mercy and discipline
in the right measure for each student,
to give genuine praise as much as possible,
to give constructive criticism
in a manner that is palatable to my students.
Help me to remain conscientious
enough to keep my lessons always interesting,
to recognize what motivates each of my students,
to accept my students’ limitations
and not hold it against them.
Help me not to judge my students too harshly,
to be fair to all,
to be a good role model,
but most of all Lord help me
to show your love to all of my students.
Sunday School Teacher’s Prayer
Father in Heaven, I thank You that
You have called upon me to take part in
the instruction of young people. See that
I am fit to do this honored work before me.
Grant me a clear understanding of Your word.
Teach me, that I may teach others. Help me
to realize the solemnity of instructing immortal
souls, and give me aptness to teach. Enable me
to set before my students a pious example.
Make Your word quick and powerful in the
hearts of all. Bless, I pray You, each of the
students committed to my care. Grant that
they may receive with all readiness of mind
the lessons of Your word, that they may be
brought to the full knowledge of Your grace
and to the true faith in Jesus Christ our Lord.
O Lord, bless also their parents. Help them
to bring up their children under the care and
admonition of the Lord. Sanctify them, that
they may feel a pious concern for the salvation
of their children. Grant Your blessing upon the
instruction and admonition of both parents and
teachers, that all these children may become full
members of Your church, and heirs of Your salvation.
May these children be motivated to also say
prayers for teachers as well. Bless, O Lord, the
superintendent and the pastor. May our school
and church prosper to the praise of Your holy name,
and to the salvation of all the members,
for Jesus’ sake, amen.
Prayer of a Sunday school student
Dear Father in Heaven, I pray for Your blessing.
I thank You for this Sunday school, where I may
learn more about You. I thank You that You
have called upon me into Your covenant by
baptism. Help me to remember my Creator
in the days of my youth, that I may not depart
from Your ways.
Bless our school, officers,
teachers and students alike. Help us to learn
Your truth with joy. Open our hearts that we
may receive Your word. Help us to love and
obey Your truth.
O Lord, bless my teacher
and give him or her much joy in teaching us.
Bless my parents, and help me to obey them
in Your name. Please forgive all my sins,
and help me to be Your obedient,
faithful child, for Jesus’ sake.
Prayer for Troubled Kids
Almighty God, Heavenly Father, whose mercies are new unto us every morning, and Thy faithfulness every night, grant us. we pray Thee, Thy Holy Spirit, that we may heartily acknowledge Thy merciful goodness toward us, give thanks for all Thy benefits, and serve Thee in willing obedience, through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Merciful God, we pray on behalf of these children and youths, that they may be more and more renewed by Thy Holy Spirit. Grant that they may receive with all readiness of mind the lessons of Thy word, that they may be brought to full knowledge of Thy grace and to the true faith in Jesus Christ. Cause all sinful affections to die in them, and all things belonging to the Spirit to live and grow in them. Give them strength to gain the victory over the world, the flesh and the devil. Defend them against temptation and every pitfall. Let Thy fatherly hand supply their wants for this life, and let Thy Holy Spirit guide them in the way of Thy commandments. Make them living members of Thy Holy Church, and heirs through hope of Thine everlasting kingdom, through Jesus Christ our Lord.
Almighty and gracious God, we ask Thy blessing upon all Thy servants to whom Thou hast committed the work of teaching the young; guide them, O Good Shepherd of the sheep, that they may be able to guide the lambs of Thy flock in the way of life; and give them Thy continued grace, that they may persevere in the good work which they have undertaken; reward them abundantly through Jesus Christ our Lord, to whom, with Thee and the Holy Ghost, be all honor and glory, world without end. Amen!
Read Bible Verses about Teachers
“And what you have heard from me in the presence of many witnesses entrust to faithful men who will be able to teach others also.”
Click here to read more Bible Verses about Teachers.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Teachers”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Thank you Father for this job opportunity.- Thank you Father for this job opportunity. It has been a difficult school year. I ask that the teachers stop bullying me and follow the… …
- My TEACHER dont like me- Please pray for me my TEACHER does everything she can to fail me she says I’m always smiling and she doesn’t like that pray that… …
- Exams- Please pray so I can succeed in all my exams this year. …
- Challenging Student- Please pray for me and this very challenging student that I have in my classroom. My prayer is that he will learn how to follow… …
- For Wisdom and Discerment- In the name of Yahshua, I thank you for the wisdom of your word and discernment of the Spirit to study the word more. A… …
- Exam- Dear lord, Kindly help me pass the net exam. You have given me everything more than I deserve. Guide and strengthen me Jesus. …
- Hopefully- Dear God, I wish I could get a 8.5 for my history test this time. I hope this term Ms. Thư will mark my test. …
- Prayer request- I’m facing so many struggles in finishing my PhD studies. So I am not able to lead a peaceful life.full of tension. Kindly pray for… …
- Wisdom.to make the right choices- I want to sell my home at a price that I would be happy with for I would have to live on it. I’m 80… …
- Wisdom.to make the right choices- I want to sell my home at a price that I would be happy with for I would have to live on it .I’m 80… …
- Job hunting prayer- I am requesting for a prayer for finding a Job, I am an unemployed female of 25 years of age. I have a teachers degree… …
- For my friend Antoinette- Antoinette dearly loves our Lord. She is a devout Roman Catholic. Lately she awakes and sees her husband who has passed and last evening she… …
- Prayer to pass the Licensure Examination for Teachers Board Exam September 2018- I ask in the Holy Name of Jesus, with the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary, that I successfully pass the Licensure Examination for Teachers… …
- Stay the Course- Please pray that I am given an opportunity that blows my mind. Pray that I am able to finish my school semester strong. Pray that… …
- Research guide- Oh, God, please give me the teachers that I like as my research guide …
- Help to accept my students limitations in their abilities- I have been so disappointed and angry this year that I spend hours teaching a skill and my students are unable to show that I… …
- Deliverance- I need strength courage faith in troubled times. …
- Prayer for healing- Please remove my bad breath, stomach issue with acid. Weight around my stomach, heartburn and gum issues. I feel that I put them on when… …
- Peace and guidance for Blake- My son is a new teacher I’m middle school and has very difficult children to handle. He is frustrated and feels he is failing. If… …
- Passing the test this Sunday- Please pray that Christine passes the Praxis test this Sunday in order for her to become a Special Needs teacher. Thank you and God Bless… …
More prayers posted in: Teachers
As you organize, prep, and purchase for the new school nothing you do is more important than adding a covering of prayer. For many praying for their children and grandchildren is second nature, but praying for teachers and friends is equally important. As is praying for God-given wisdom for ourselves as we guide our kiddos through the educational obstacle course.
10 Blessings to Pray for Teachers, Students, and Parents
These are things which apply whether your family home-schools or your children attend private or public schools. Blessings that are important for all ages and positions.
Pray for Teachers, Students, and Parents to have the Blessing of:
1. Friendship – Relationships are a big part of school. Pray that teachers will have a supportive and encouraging group of friends. That your children will make friends who make good choices and encourage them to be themselves. And that you will make friendships with some of the parents of your children’s friends who value relationships over comparisons.
Those with wild friends bring shame to their parents. Proverbs 28:7
Father, It’s that time of year again. We’re going back to school. Please prepare the minds of everyone involved in the learning process. Please bless my children, their teachers, and our families with friends who will encourage us to walk with You.
2. Work – School is a job, and not just for teachers. Pray that a healthy importance will be placed on using gifts and abilities to glorify God by working hard and doing their best.
Work willingly at whatever you do, as though you were working for the Lord rather than for people. Colossians 3:23
Father, May we each value the importance of hard work and doing our best as an offering to You of the gifts and blessings You’ve given us.
3. Gratitude – Education is a gift. In much of the world, illiteracy is all too common. Pray to help your children appreciate the gift of school and learning.
Whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through Him to God the Father. Colossians 3:17
Father, Help us to be thankful and quickly express our gratitude to You, Lord, and to everyone who helps us in the education process. May we each learn to be appreciative of the efforts we’re making on behalf of our children.
4. Balance – Work, play, rest, and diet . . . balance is important. Pray to set a good example of the value of eating healthy, getting adequate rest, playing with joy and enthusiasm, and working well.
For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven. Ecclesiastes 3:1
Father, please help us to remember the importance of rest and play as we go into this season. It’s so easy to focus on what must be done in order to succeed but part of preparing for each day is getting enough rest and taking time to refresh and have fun.
5. Faith – Learning, maturing, and growing are part of life. Pray that your child and your family will be blessed to grow in your love for God through faith in Jesus.
Let your roots grow down into Him, and let your lives be built on Him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness. Colossians 2:7
Oh, Father, please help us all to grow more deeply in love with You each day. May we love you with all our heart, soul, mind, and strength. May we know your loving presence and watch for the amazing ways you are working in our lives. Help us to faithfully remember to pray for teachers, students, and parents throughout the school year ahead.
6. Respect – Words and actions are influenced by respect. Pray, your children will have mentors who will respect others. How we talk about managers, teachers, coaches, etc. in the privacy of our homes influences how our children will treat those in authority in public.
For the Lord’s sake, respect all human authority. 1 Peter 2:13
Father, respect is so very important. May we listen with compassion and speak with kindness. May we remember that You place people in positions of authority and that when we respect those over us we are showing our love and respect for You.
7. Self-Control – Emotions are important, learning to control emotions is more important. Pray that you and the adults who influence your child will be able to control emotions like anger, frustration, and infatuation.
Better to be patient than powerful; better to have self-control than to conquer a city. Proverbs 16:32
Father, by the power of Your Holy Spirit, help each of us to resist temptations. Help us to trust and obey Your Word and follow Your will as You guide us each day!
8. Community – Many people are involved in the process of growing up a child. Pray that God will bless and protect your community and that many of your neighbors and friends will affirm the important values that you are teaching in your home.
You can develop a healthy, robust community that lives right with God and enjoy its results only if you do the hard work of getting along with each other, treating each other with dignity and honor. James 3:18
Father, forgive us. Competition has kept us from being the neighbors we should be to each other. Please help us to remember that we are blessed when we help each other. May we make You the center of our lives and work together to glorify You to the world around us.
9. Health – A healthy body, mind, and spirit does well. Pray for the blessing of all aspects of health and for the wisdom to do the things that help . . . diet, exercise, good relationships, faith, and hope.
Don’t be impressed with your own wisdom. Instead, fear the Lord and turn away from evil. Then you will have healing for your body and strength for your bones. Proverbs 3:7-8
Father, by Your grace, bless us with strong minds and bodies. May we do our best to eat a healthy diet and care for our health. Grant us wisdom to do what is best. Bless us with health professionals who will give us wise counsel and care.
10. Truth – Commit to honesty in everything. Pray for truth in every aspect of your family’s life . . . truth taught, shared, and lived.
The Lord detests lying lips, but he delights in those who tell the truth. Proverbs 12:22
Dear Father, may we live Your truth. You are the Truth! Please help us to seek the know the Truth, give us discernment that we might know the truth and give us Your strength that we might reject all that is false.
May God guide and bless you, your children and their teachers as you surrender your hopes and dreams for the school year ahead to Him.
Leave your prayer requests…
and stop to pray one or two of the requests listed.
I LOVE hearing from you! Please take a minute to say ‘hi’ and share your thoughts in the comments below.
And if this article blessed or helped you today — would you share it with someone? Maybe a friend, family member, coworker, or through the links below…
Follow my blog with Bloglovin