Enjoy reading and share 97 famous quotes about Engagements with everyone.
“Its taken a lot of presidents to get us where we are today, a lot of deployments, a lot of wars, a lot engagements. You add them all up.”
— Jon Huntsman, Jr. —
“We should take notice of that in others which is good, to their praise, that by so doing we may lay engagements upon them to abound therein more and more.”
— Matthew Henry
“I may plan to make Christ the center of Christmas, but when I wait until December to focus on celebrating His birthday, I become entangled in Christmas lights, holiday baking, and festive engagements, often wondering if I’ve experienced the illusive “true meaning” of Christmas.”
— Ann Marie Stewart
“For one day as I leant over a gate that led into a field, the rhythm stopped: the rhymes and the hummings, the nonsense and the poetry. A space was cleared in my mind. I saw through the thick leaves of habit. Leaning over the gate I regretted so much litter, so much unaccomplishment and separation, for one cannot cross London to see a friend, life being so full of engagements; nor take a ship to India and see a naked man spearing a fish in blue water. I said life had been imperfect, an unfinished phrase. It had been impossible for me, taking snuff as I do from any bagman met in a train, to keep coherency-that sense of the generations, of women carrying red pitchers to the Nile, of the nightingale who sings among conquests and migrations. It had been too vast an undertaking, I said, and how can I go on lifting my foot perpetually to climb the stair? I addressed myself as one would speak to a companion with whom one is voyaging to the North Pole.”
— Virginia Woolf
“I wish I had it in my power to furnish you with accommodation I should feel proud to do it, shall be happy to hear from you at anytime when you engagements will allow you an hour and remain with best wishes for yourself, family and circuit.”
— John Hawley
“Attend with Diligence and strict Integrity to the Interest of your Correspondents and enter into no Engagements which you have not the almost certain Means of performing.”
— George Mason
“I went to school in New York and grew up in and out of New York. I love it, and I miss it, and every time I go back, I think, ‘Why am I in Germany?’ I do know that my career is really important to me, and in Germany, they’ve always been so much more supportive than my previous engagements in the dance world.”
— Sarah Hay
“Few things tend more to alienate friendship than a want of punctuality in our engagements. I have known the breach of a promise to dine or sup to break up more than one intimacy.”
— William Hazlitt
“Long engagements give people the opportunity of finding out each other’s character before marriage, which is never advisable.”
— Oscar Wilde
To speak frankly, I am not in favour of long engagements. They give people the opportunity of finding out each other’s character before marriage, which I think is never advisable.”
— Oscar Wilde
“What I’m doing when I’m doing my speaking engagements is that I’m delivering serious material with humor. So, instead of delivering humor without a particular point other than to entertain people, I’m delivering comedy in a serious way.”
— Andy Andrews
“Two ( or more) people come together and they agree that they should be together for a common purpose and that purpose is to add value to one another. ENGAGEMENTS are partnerships that should ALWAYS be Win-Win.”
— John C. Maxwell
“Death cancels our engagements, but it does not affect the consequences of our acts in life.”
— Katherine Anne Porter
Engagements Quotes Pictures
Want to see more pictures of Engagements quotes? Click on image of Engagements quotes to view full size.
Table of contents
Top Engagement Quotes
Browse top 186 famous quotes and sayings about Engagement by most favorite authors.
Favorite Engagement Quotes
1. “We must either reduce the number of our engagements or increase the number of our troops.”
Author: Adam Schiff
2. “Moral justification is a powerful disengagement mechanism. Destructive conduct is made personally and socially acceptable by portraying it in the service of moral ends. This is why most appeals against violent means usually fall on deaf ears.”
Author: Albert Bandura
3. “J’ai connu un homme qui a donné vingt ans de sa vie à une étourdie, qui lui a tout sacrifié, ses amitiés, son travail, la décence même de sa vie, et qui reconnut un soir qu’il ne l’avait jamais aimée. Il s’ennuiyait, voilà tout, il s’ennuiyait, comme la plupart des gens. Il s’était donc créé de toutes pièces une vie de complications et de drames. Il faut que quelque chose arrive, voilà l’explication de la plupart des engagements humains.”
Author: Albert Camus
4. “I think we need to ask serious questions about how we engage militarily, when we engage militarily, and on what basis we engage militarily. What kind of intelligence do we have to justify a military engagement?”
Author: Albert Wynn
5. “So I think that is from the European perspective, for the European future, this engagement can be one of the most important and effective decisions in the last 50 years maybe.”
Author: Aleksander Kwasniewski
6. “The increasing tendency towards seeing people in terms of one dominant ‘identity’ (‘this is your duty as an American’, ‘you must commit these acts as a Muslim’, or ‘as a Chinese you should give priority to this national engagement’) is not only an imposition of an external and arbitrary priority, but also the denial of an important liberty of a person who can decide on their respective loyalties to different groups (to all of which he or she belongs).”
Author: Amartya Sen
7. “All efforts at self-transformation challenge us to engage in on-going, critical self-examination and reflection about feminist practice, and about how we live in the world. This individual commitment, when coupled with engagement in collective discussion, provides a space for critical feedback which strengthens our efforts to change and make ourselves anew.”
Author: Bell Hooks
8. “Inspirations never go in for long engagements; they demand immediate marriage to action.”
Author: Brendan Francis
9. “Challenge is the pathway to engagement and progress in our lives. But not all challenges are created equal. Some challenges make us feel alive, engaged, connected, and fulfilled. Others simply overwhelm us. Knowing the difference as you set bigger and bolder challenges for yourself is critical to your sanity, success, and satisfaction.”
Author: Brendon Burchard
10. “To sit across the table and talk with someone you love is itself a complex engagement, with an exhaustingly subtle flow of information; to go to bed with someone–to carry your conversation into the realm of the body, a realm of insecurity and fear as well as pleasure–was always fraught with the sad evidence of how difficult it is to understand another person and make yourself understood.”
Author: Brian Morton
11. “Because secrets do not increase in value if kept in a gore-ian lockbox, because one’s past is either made useful or else mutates and becomes cancerous. We share things for the obvious reasons: it makes us feel un-alone, it spreads the weight over a larger area, it holds the possibility of making our share lighter. And it can work either way – not simply as a pain-relief device, but, in the case of not bad news but good, as a share-the-happy-things-I’ve-seen/lessons-I’ve-learned vehicle. Or as a tool for simple connectivity for its own sake, a testing of waters, a stab at engagement with a mass of strangers.”
Author: Dave Eggers
12. “The praying which makes a prayerful ministry is not a little praying put in as we put flavor to give it a pleasant smack, but the praying must be in the body, and form the blood and bones. Prayer is no petty duty, put into a corner; no piecemeal performance made out of the fragments of time which have been snatched from business and other engagements of life; but it means that the best of our time, the heart of our time and strength must be given.”
Author: E.M. Bounds
13. “My mother says I didn’t open my eyes for eight days after I was born, but when I did, the first thing I saw was an engagement ring. I was hooked.”
Author: Elizabeth Taylor
14. “Getting our military back on stable footing won’t happen overnight. We must start this process now, since future engagements are likely and allies are scarce.”
Author: Ellen Tauscher
15. “Personally, I’m an advocate for short engagements. Long sometimes means there is a reason for it. Two years engaged and no wedding… I’d be upset.”
Author: Emily Blunt
16. “A lonesome town, though. He who had grown up alone had lately learned to avoid solitude. During the past several months he had been careful, when he had no engagement for the evening, to hurry to one of his clubs and find someone. Oh there was a loneliness here–“
Author: F. Scott Fitzgerald
17. “The main engagement of the writer is towards truthfulness; therefore he must keep his mind and his judgement free.”
Author: Gabrielle Roy
18. “A.J. feels for the engagement ring in his pocket. Is this the moment? No, too Jumbotron.”
Author: Gabrielle Zevin
19. “Our musical artistry and leadership of people need to work together to create an environment that welcomes participation instead of causing disengagement.”
Author: Gangai Victor
20. “The real damper on employee engagement is the soggy, cold blanket of centralized authority. In most companies, power cascades downwards from the CEO. Not only are employees disenfranchised from most policy decisions, they lack even the power to rebel against egocentric and tyrannical supervisors.”
Author: Gary Hamel
21. “Do I have to celebrate our engagement every year for nothing? I don’t need practice, you know. It’s starting to become cruel”
Author: Hilary Grossman
22. “Sasha told me you were looking for engagement rings. Do you have a specific style in mind?” Yeah the kind that fits on her hand and makes her say yes when I propose “
Author: J. Sterling
23. “I want no proof of affection but of engagement I do.”
Author: Jane Austen
24. “I was surprised. I’d always associated belief in heaven with, frankly, a kind of intellectual disengagement. But Gus wasn’t dumb.”
Author: John Green
25. “I wish I had it in my power to furnish you with accommodation I should feel proud to do it, shall be happy to hear from you at anytime when you engagements will allow you an hour and remain with best wishes for yourself, family and circuit.”
Author: John Hawley
26. “Conflicts like competitive races are zero sum games, meaning that there is one winner and one loser. This also means that the winner will win at theexpense of the loser. If there is no engagement because one party to the conflict has retreated, the remaining party will only consume resources andcreate opportunities for inner discord among its own members by not also retreating.”
Author: Kambiz Mostofizadeh
27. “All practice is the practice of making a turn in a different direction. Toward one thing and away from another; the particulars in any given situation don’t matter, because you always know the right way. A different way. With practice, you get better at turning.This is my practice. It’s not anything special you need to learn. It is not some new information you neet to get. It is nothing you haven’t heard before. It is just a turn you might not yet have made, or made again, and again, and again. A turn toward intimate engagement with the life you already have.Fulfillment derives not from lofty achievements, but from ordinary feats. It arrives not once in a lifetime, but every moment of the livelong day.”
Author: Karen Maezen Miller
28. “Without ongoing training in tailoring instruction to individual learners (and support in doing so), “fault” for underperformance or disengagement from learning is frequently shifted to the child: The child is lazy, has an attitude problem, or refuses to work up to his or her potential. The child is enormously vulnerable in this system.”
Author: Kirsten Olson
29. “Book authors are in high demand for speaking engagements and appearances; they are the new ‘celebrity’ and celebrities gain access. Authors not only make money from royalties or book advances but from their keynotes, presentations and strategically branded product lines. This includes entrepreneurial ideas for you to extend yourself beyond just writing and prepares you to add speaking and consulting to your revenue stream. You have to begin to look outside book sales and towards the speaking market. There are radio, interviews, news, television, small channel television keynotes, lectures, seminars and workshops. These types of events have the possibility to be much more lucrative than just selling books. In essence, the book builds and brands you in the public eye. It gives you credibility and the opportunity to be more than you are. It enables you to now be a voice, a teacher, a leader, an expert – after all, you wrote the book on it!”
Author: Kytka Hilmar Jezek
30. “How much time do I get in exchange for that rose?”For the rose, a short engagement. For the speech, you get a lifetime.”I can live with that,” he said, and kissed her.”
Author: Laura Lee Guhrke
31. “I go short and sweet on the engagement. I did have a longish engagement, but I think short and sweet is best.”
Author: Leelee Sobieski
32. “We often spend so much time reacting to religious traditions or a religious culture that we have little energy left to cultivate a proactive spiritual path. Even among “believing” people there is often more critique and conversation about “the church” or parochial issues than honest engagement with the ways of the master- how Jesus lived and what he taught. Perhaps we have been too easily pleased by our over educated ability to analyze and deconstruct. Rather than being skeptical why couldn’t our collective sense of unrest about religion and spiritual community motivate us to be more curious and engaged”
Author: Mark Scandrette
33. “You can have meaning, accomplishment, engagement and good relationships, even if you are dull on the positive affect side.”
Author: Martin Seligman
34. “Again.Apparently, three broken engagements weren’t enough. It was her duty to marry, and marry she must.”
Author: Monica McCarty
35. “He entertained these thoughts awkwardly, as a man entertains unexpected guests. Then, as he reached his objective, he pushed these thoughts away, as a man apologizes to his guests, and leaves them, muttering something about a prior engagement.”
Author: Neil Gaiman
36. “I have promised to dine at White’s, but it is only with an old friend, so I can send him a wire to say that I am ill, or that I am prevented from coming in consequence of a subsequent engagement. I think that would be a rather nice excuse: it would have all the surprise of candour.”
Author: Oscar Wilde
37. “Mournier defined his own position as one of ‘tragic optimism–‘ a Christian attitude of absolute engagement in the struggles of history, despite the fact that the Absolute cannot be contained in history.”
Author: Robert Ellsberg
38. “To say the least, it was inconsiderate of Diana’s almost-dead husband to show up at her engagement party.”
Author: Robin Lee Hatcher
39. “The power of real debate is in the language and intellectual honesty of the debaters, alongside the engagement of spectators.”
Author: Ruzwana Bashir
40. “Discomfort brings engagement and change. Discomfort means you’re doing something that others were unlikely to do, because they’re hiding out in the comfortable zone. When your uncomfortable actions lead to success, the organization rewards you and brings you back for more.”
Author: Seth Godin
41. “Jericho stopped him before he left. He slid the ring off his finger and handed it to him. “Take this.”Asmodeus curled his lip as he shrank back from it. “I’m not about to marry your ugly ass, boy. No offense, but you ain’t my type. I like my dates with less body hair… and with female parts attached by nature.”Jericho let out an aggravated growl. “It’s not a wedding ring, asshole. It’s Berith’s ring. You get into trouble you can summon him to help you get out of there.”That completely changed his attitude. “Oh, hey, that could be worth an engagement to you.” Asmodeus grinned as he palmed it. “If I’m back in a few hours… well, I don’t want to think about that. I might change my mind about doing this. I’m thinking happy thoughts. Creamed dog innards and rotten steak. Yeah. Yum.” He vanished.”
Author: Sherrilyn Kenyon
42. “She makes several references to Paul making her “burn,” almost like she’s conjugating verbs. I burn for him. He burns for me. We burn for each other. One cannot help but suspect VD as a factor in their engagement. This comes up again when King defines a “hapahali” as “two people jumping around in the same skin,” an image which, like the burning, is disgusting.”
Author: Sloane Crosley
43. “Pour le voir, il faut bien regarder, chercher. Je dis aux jeunes: cherchez un peu, vous allez trouver. La pire des attitudes est l’indifférence, dire «je n’y peux rien, je me débrouille». En vous comportant ainsi, vous perdez l’une des composantes essentielles qui fait l’humain. Une des composantes indispensables: la faculté d’indignation et l’engagement qui en est la conséquence.”
Author: Stéphane Hessel
44. “If we wish to fight, the enemy can be forced to an engagement even though he be sheltered behind a high rampart and a deep ditch. All we need do is attack some other place that he will be obliged to relieve.”
Author: Sun Tzu
45. “Inclusion + engagement = execution muscle”
Author: Susan Scott
46. “Some of the dairy people, who were also out of doors on the first Sunday evening after their engagement, heard her impulsive speeches, ecstasized to fragments, though they were too far off to hear the words discoursed; noted the spasmodic catch in her remarks, broken into syllables by the leapings of her heart, as she walked leaning on his arm; her contented pauses, the occassional laugh upon which her soul seemed to ride – the laugh of a woman in company with the man she loves and has won from all other women – unlike anything else in nature. They marked the buoyancy of her tread, like the skim of a bird which has not yet alighted.”
Author: Thomas Hardy
47. “Kindness and good nature unite men more effectually and with greater strength than any agreements whatsoever, since thereby the engagements of men’s hearts become stronger than the bond and obligation of words.”
Author: Thomas More
48. “Pearls’ burst out the Snork Maiden excitedly. ‘Could ankle rings be made out of pearls?”I should think they could,’ said Moomintoll. ‘Ankle-rings, and nose-rings and ear-rings and engagement rings…”
Author: Tove Jansson
49. “Song of myselfWith music strong I come, with my cornets and my drums, I play not marches for accepted victors only, I play marches for conquer’d and slain persons. Have you heard that it was good to gain the day? I also say it is good to fall, battles are lost in the same spirit in which they are won. I beat and pound for the dead, I blow through my embouchures my loudest and gayest for them. Vivas to those who have fail’d! And to those whose war-vessels sank in the sea! And to those themselves who sank in the sea! And to all generals that lost engagements, and all overcome heroes! And the numberless unknown heroes equal to the greatest heroes known!”
Author: Walt Whitman
50. “Militarily, we succeeded in Vietnam. We won every engagement we were involved in out there.”
Author: William Westmoreland
Engagements are one of the happiest milestones for any couple. It takes a couples’ relationship into the next level and is the first step towards a couple committing to each other for the rest of their lives. Outside of a couple’s wedding day and the day that they have a child, the day that they get engaged is probably one of the most romantic days in the life cycle of any romantic relationship.
To celebrate the grand tradition of the proposal and engagements in general, we’ve collected 22 engagement quotes here that will hopefully inspire you to show more caring and affection for your significant others. We also collect this set of quotes to celebrate the civil rights victory that just happened in the US. For those LGBT couples out there who are have recently gotten engaged, we wish the best of luck to you, and this small selection of curated engagement quotes is dedicated to you and your unwavering pursuit for equality under the law.
Hopefully, may the following words inspire you to love a little bit more. We’ve included a number of engagement quotes from variety of sources, including intellectuals, writers, and historical figures. We hope that the following quotes about engagement will inspire you in believing true love exists.
22 Engagement Quotes that You Should Take to Heart
Success in marriage does not come merely through finding the right mate, but through being the right mate.
Barnett R. Brickner
It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of your life.
Chains do not hold a marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years.
You come to love not by finding the perfect person, but by seeing an imperfect person perfectly.
Love would never be a promise of a rose garden unless it is showered with light of faith, water of sincerity and air of passion.
Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart.
Love is the expansion of two natures in such fashion that each include the other, each is enriched by the other.
We’re all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness – and call it love – true love.
In the arithmetic of love, one plus one equals everything, and two minus one equals nothing.
True love stories never have endings.
Spouse: someone who’ll stand by you through all the trouble you wouldn’t have had if you’d stayed single.
Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.
Henry Van Dyke
I have an engagement ring, which is my favorite accessory.
Love is the emblem of eternity: it confounds all notion of time: effaces all memory of a beginning, all fear of an end.
Germaine De Stael
Engagement marks the end of a whirlwind romance and beginning of an eternal love story.
My instinct is to keep my engagement ring After all, I wouldn’t like to see it on the finger of a cheeky girl.
When you realize you want to spend the rest of your life with somebody, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible.
Photo from BigStock.com
This beautifully romantic collection of engagement quotes and sayings will help you convey warm wishes for a relationship filled with love, passion, and friendship. These engagement quotes and sayings will inspire the foundation for a successful marriage.
~ Engagement Sayings ~
For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. ~ Judy Garland
Chains do not hold marriage together. It is threads, hundreds of tiny threads which sew people together through the years. ~ Simone Signoret
Find the person who will love you because of your differences and not in spite of them and you have found a lover for life. ~ Leo Buscaglia
Love one another and you will be happy. It’s as simple and as difficult as that. ~ Micheal Leunig
The best and most beautiful things in this world cannot be seen or even heard, but must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller
Love is the master key that opens the gates of happiness. ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes; May your open gate overflow with happiness and love.
Love is just a word until someone comes along and gives it meaning. Your love paints a beautiful picture of what love really means. ~ Unknown
Love reminds you that nothing else matters. ~ Any Bushnell
In all the world, there is no heart for me like yours. In all the world, there is no love for you like mine. ~ Maya Angelou
It’s so great to find that one special person you want to annoy for the rest of you life. ~ Rita Rudner
True love stories never have endings. ~ Richard Bach; May your love story continue forever.
It’s not your perfectness that I fell in love with. It was your flaws that brought me in. ~ Unknown
My whole heart for my whole life. ~ French Saying; Always, for you.
Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same. ~ Emily Bronte
You rose into my life like a promised sunrise, brightening my days with the light in your eyes. I’ve never been so strong. Now I’m where I belong. ~ Maya Angelou
If you have respect and consideration for one another, you’ll make it. ~ Mary Durso
A marriage is like a long trip in a tiny rowboat; if one passenger starts to rock the boat, the other has to steady it; otherwise they will go to the bottom together. ~ David Reuben
We may have started as individuals, but now we are as one. ~ Bryon Pulsifer
Love is precious and an engagement is an exciting step towards a marriage that is hopefully filled with passion, love, and happiness. I hope you have enjoyed these engagement quotes and sayings. They are meant for celebrating the love of a couple preparing to make a life long committment to love.
Return to top
Romantic Words > Love Quotations > Engagement Quotes