A prayer or blessing can be religious or non-religious. Some couples invite a family member or friend to say a prayer or blessing.
Table of contents
- 1 Prayers and Blessings 1
- 2 Prayers and Blessings 2
- 3 Prayers and Blessings 3
- 4 Prayers and Blessings 4
- 5 Prayers and Blessings 5
- 6 Prayers and Blessings 6
- 7 Prayers and Blessings 7
- 8 Prayers and Blessings 8
- 9 Prayers and Blessings 9
- 10 Prayers and Blessings 10
- 11 Opening
- 12 Prayers and Blessings 12
- 13 Prayers and Blessings 13
- 14 Prayers and Blessings 14
- 15 Prayers and Blessings 15
- 16 Prayers and Blessings 16
- 17 Prayers and Blessings 17
- 18 Prayers and Blessings 18
- 19 Prayers and Blessings 19
- 20 Prayers and Blessings 20
- 21 Wedding Anniversary Prayer of Blessing
- 22 Love is Patient, Love is Blind
- 23 Scripture For Wedding Readings
- 24 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Wedding Prayers and Blessings”
- 25 Recent prayer requests…
Prayers and Blessings 1
Let us pray. God, we ask for your blessings upon this man and woman, as we celebrate this momentous occasion in their lives.
Grant them happiness and contentment as they establish their new home, create a new family and explore the depths of their love for one another and for you.
Bless their families and friends and the relationships, which have supported, strengthened and sustained them throughout their lives.
Bless their home as a place of love and of peace.
And if times grow hard and tempers grow short, help them to look into their hearts and remember the love that brought them here today
Prayers and Blessings 2
God, as you join us today, we ask for your blessings upon this couple as they unite in marriage.
Let all their days together be happy and all their words to each other be sweet.
Though their paths are intertwined, let them be aware of each other’s separateness. Bless their home and allow it to be a place of joy and serenity.
Remind them to nurture each other’s body with mutual love, honor and respect. Let their spirits dwell within.
As they learn from one another, may they grow stronger as individuals and closer as a couple.
And as their wedded life begins today with prayer, so may they continue it, praying for and with each other.
Prayers and Blessings 3
In acknowledgment of this holy purpose, and of the power of this occasion, let us pray.
Dear God, One who gives us the longing for love and the capability of loving, we give thanks to You for BRIDE and GROOM, for their open hearts and willing spirits, and for the love that they embody here in our presence.
Be with them on this joyous occasion as two become one, and be with us, their witnesses, as we rejoice in what is said and witnessed here.
Prayers and Blessings 4
To open the ceremony we will begin with an invocation in the form of an ancient prayer or mantra.
The meaning of “mantra” is “that which protects.”
This mantra asks for protection, good fortune, strength, wisdom, and peace.
Mantras begin with “OM”, which is not a word or a name; it is the vibration of love heard from within the heart when the mind is at peace, the vibration of love from which creation emerged.
BRIDE and GROOM, take hold of your hands and look into each other’s eyes, and repeat after me:
May we be protected together
May we enjoy the fruits of our actions together.
May we achieve strength together.
May our knowledge be full of light
May there never be discord between us
Om shantih, shantih, shantihi
Om. Peace, peace, peace.
Prayers and Blessings 5
Let us Pray: Dear God, thank you for this joyous day.
Thank you for Your Light that has entered Bride and Groom’s life.
Thank you for all the miracles and blessings.
Please bless this union.
Help Bride and Groom find the perfect place in this world for their love to flourish.
Let the radiant light of their love shine on all those around them.
May all their future creations be blessed.
God, bless them with the inner gifts of trust, compassion, forgiveness and truth that they may live and grow together in love and peace.
Prayers and Blessings 6
Father of mankind, whose nature is love, look with favor upon this woman and this man who desire to make their vows before you.
We are grateful for the providence that has led to this union.
Grant this to be more than an outward union, but also the blending of hearts and spirits and purposes.
Bless each with the inward qualities of integrity, trust, cooperation and forgiveness, that they may live together in love and peace.
Prayers and Blessings 7
Adapted from Illuminata by Marianne Williamson
Dear God, Please make of this relationship a great and holy adventure.
May their joining be a sacred space. May the two of them find rest here, a haven for their souls.
Remove from them any temptation to judge themselves or each other or to direct each other.
May they surrender to You their conflicts and their burdens.
We know You are their Answer and their rock.
Help them not forget.
Bring them together in heart and mind as well as body and guide them in the ways of holiness.
May this relationship be a burst of light.
May it be a fount of love and wisdom for them, for their family, for their community, and for their world.
May this bond be a channel for Your love and healing, a vehicle of Your grace and power.
As lessons come and challenges grow, let them not be tempted to forsake each other.
Let them always remember that in each other they have the most beautiful woman, the most beautiful man, the strongest one, the sacred one in whose arms we are repaired.
May they remain young in this relationship.
May they grow wise in this relationship.
Bring them what You desire for them.
And show them how you would have them be.
Thank You, dear God.
Prayers and Blessings 8
The Lords’ Prayer
Our Father who art in Heaven, hallow be thy name.
Thy Kingdom come, thy will be done, on earth, as it is in Heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. (For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever.)
Prayers and Blessings 9
Gracious God, spirit of life and love, we ask all blessings upon Groom and Bride in their life together.
May they be blessed with patience, to see them through times of tensions or conflict.
May they be blessed with kindness, to enable them to nurture and care for one another in times of pain or sorrow.
May they be blessed with a spirit of play and joyfulness, that they may participate fully in the beauties and pleasures of creation.
May they be blessed, finally, with a knowledge of the ever-flowing presence of love in the world, that they may be channels of this love to one another and to all whom they meet in their life’s journey.
Prayers and Blessings 10
Blessed are the man and the woman who have grown beyond themselves and have seen through their separations.
They delight in the way things are and keep their hearts open, day and night.
They are like trees planted near flowing rivers, which bear fruit when they are ready.
Their leaves will not fall or wither.
Everything they do will succeed.
Blessed is one who comes in the name of Love.
Marriage is a gift from God, a miracle.
After speaking to you both, it is obvious that you already know some of the great blessings marriage has to offer.
It is an opportunity to feel the joy of taking care of someone who takes care of you, to be challenged towards growth yet gently nurtured, to love deeply and receive it in return.
It is about trust, friendship and having a partner to share all life has to offer.
It is a commitment to participate in a process of mutual evolution, understanding and forgiveness.
It is indeed a sacred union to be treated with reverence.
Marriage is not a place to hide from the world.
It is a safe place to grow and become wiser.
It is a place to evolve into better people; so that you can go out in the world and make a difference by spreading the joy and wisdom that you have found with each other.
Together in this marriage, you shall contribute more fully, for you both shall be more full.
Bride, Groom is a gift to you from God, but he is not a gift for you alone.
It is God’s will that in your love, this man might find within himself a greater sense of who he is meant to be.
You are asked to see the good in this man, to accept him for who he is and who he shall be.
In this way, God’s purpose shall be accomplished in this relationship.
May this man find the kingdom of heaven through the love you share.
And so it is with you also Groom, that although Bride is God’s gift to you, she is not a gift intended for you alone.
You are asked by God to so love this woman, that in your love she might find herself as God has created her, so beautiful and strong and brave and true, that the entire world might be blessed by the presence of a woman who shines so.
May she relax in your arms as she has never relaxed before. May she know, from now on, that there is one on whose love she can depend on forever.
Prayers and Blessings 12
Marriage is the beginning of a new life, a chance at fulfilling long-held dreams, and an opportunity for great personal and spiritual growth.
Marriage endures through the ages of trends and fads. Marriage thrives, and continues to live as a promise of a beautiful dream come true.
As long as individuals are drawn together by God, marriage will be a natural unfolding of that relationship.
Feelings come alive at a wedding.
Great happiness. Some sadness.
And sometimes pure relief!.
There is an acute awareness that something special, something that goes to the very heart of life, is about to happen.
Something is gone forever, and something is born, brand-new and tender.
Something to be nurtured and cared for, protected and cherished, challenged and strengthened–your never-before-created marriage.
Each of you brings gifts to the other today.
Gifts of hope and laughter, focus and seriousness of purpose.
Sensitivity and recognition of the beautiful and the profound.
Since childhood, you have searched for and dreamed about that special someone who would embody and express the gifts you now stand ready to give and to receive.
But these gifts are not to be yours alone.
A strong and resilient marriage is not an escape from the world but a contribution to it.
Bride and Groom, may you now combine and strengthen your gifts, to be offered as a distinct and beautiful gift to the world.
For the world is in need of the beautiful, the good and the holy and nothing is better suited to evoke that than a good marriage.
And now you stand before this loving community of family and friends, ready to acknowledge to God and to the world: this is my beloved, the one with whom I choose to create the rest of my life.
May you both create, with God, a piece of heaven on earth.
Prayers and Blessings 13
Marriage is a supreme sharing, perhaps the greatest and most challenging adventure in the most intimate of human relationships.
It is the joyful uniting of a man and a woman whose care and affection and understanding have flowered into a deep and abiding love.
Those who take its sacred vows have their lives blended together into one, as the waters of two rivers are joined when they come together to form an even greater one.
A true spiritual marriage is an act of metamorphosis, a profound mystery of creation and rebirth, as two become one.
It is not a giving up or loss of oneself, but rather a giving over of oneself to something greater-a transformation of self in which each one can say, “I am no longer only I but also we.”
It is a process in which each can be challenged to discover new possibilities in themselves and each other.
In such a marriage, the wedding ceremony is the gateway into this mystery.
For the lives the two of you have lived up until this moment are, in some sense, now truly completed and over.
Together you now live within the creation of something wholly new and transcendent, something which has never existed before-your miraculous marriage-an expression that is at once public and private, precious, sacred, and truly unique to the two of you.
In this act, you open yourselves to a fuller experience and expression of the great, vast miracle of love.
No ceremony can create your marriage.
Only you can do that-through love, patience, dedication, perseverance-through talking and listening and trying to understand-through helping and supporting and believing in each other-through learning to forgive, learning to respect and appreciate your differences, and learning to make the important things matter and to let go of the rest.
What this ceremony can do is to witness and affirm the choice you have made to begin a new life today as husband and wife.
Prayers and Blessings 14
Divine Spirit (Father, Lord), we know Your presence is with all of us here this special day of BRIDE and GROOM’s wedding and we give thanks.
We ask Your blessing and love be with us during this ceremony and to especially fill the hearts of BRIDE and GROOM as they pledge their love to one another.
May the wisdom and spirit of all-giving and all-understanding Love pervade all the words spoken and all the love given here today, that these vows offered will remain strong and true and abiding in the presence of love all the days of their lives.
May all of us present feel the strength and depth of BRIDE and GROOM’s love and experience a rebirth of the power of love in our own lives.
We ask these things in the Name of the Divine Spirit and give thanks that it is so.
Prayers and Blessings 15
Excerpt from Greek prayer to Ayron and Hopi Hymn
I invoke Thee, Who art the greatest of all, Who created all, Who generated it from thyself, Who sees all and is never seen.
We ask Your blessing for BRIDE and GROOM’s tonight as they enter into this cherished covenant.
We ask You to bless this community of friends and family who pledge their love and support of BRIDE and GROOM’s marriage.
Infinite One, fly ahead of them
Open the way
Prepare the path
Spirity of the sun
Mother of the light
Come to them!
Prayers and Blessings 16
Faithful God, we dare to invoke Your name in this glad moment, because we know you are the Creator of humanity in your image and in all our diversity.
You are the Author of love, the Source of passion, the Model of commitment.
You stand with us, through all of life’s experiences, worries, defeats, and victories.
So we pray for your presence now, confident that divine blessing comes to rest wherever hearts are woven together with fidelity and live.
Bless this hour for BRIDE and GROOM, and let Your peace uphold all who love them and who witness this sacred moment.
Prayers and Blessings 17
Now you will feel no rain, for each of you will be a shelter for the other.
Now you will feel no cold, for each of you will be warmth to the other.
Now there will be no loneliness, for each of you will be a companion to the other.
Now you are two persons, but there is only one life before you.
Go now to your dwelling place to enter the days of your togetherness.
May beauty surround you both in the journey ahead and through all the years.
May happiness be your companion, and may your days together be good and long upon the earth.
Prayers and Blessings 18
May God bless you with Hope enough to keep sunshine in your love, and Fear enough to keep you holding hands in the dark;
May God bless you with Unity enough to keep your roots entwined, and Separation enough to keep you reaching for each other;
May God bless you with Harmony enough to keep romance in your song, and Discord enough to keep you tuning your love so it becomes sweet music to all who may hear it.
Prayers and Blessings 19
Oh Lord, our hearts are filled with joy on this wedding day, as GROOM and BRIDE come before You pledging their hearts and lives to one another.
Grant that they may ever be true and loving, living together in such a way as to never bring shame or heartbreak into their marriage.
Temper their hearts with kindness and understanding.
Rid them of all pretense and jealousy.
Help them to remember to be each other’s sweetheart, helpmate, best friend, and guide, so together they may meet the cares and problems of life more bravely.
May the home they are creating today truly be a place of love, peace, and harmony, where
Your Spirit is always present.
Bless this marriage we pray, and walk beside BRIDE and GROOM throughout their lives together.
We ask this in Jesus’ name.
Prayers and Blessings 20
God in heaven above, please protect the ones we love.
We honor all You created as they pledge their hearts and lives together.
We honor mother-earth and ask for their marriage to be abundant and grow stronger through the seasons.
We honor fire and ask that our their union be warm and glowing with love in their hearts.
We honor wind and ask that their sail through life safe and calm as in their Father’s arms.
We honor water to clean and soothe their relationship that it may never thirst for love.
With all the forces of the universe You created, we pray for harmony and true happiness as their forever grow young together.
Here is a wedding anniversary prayer that can be used at a wedding anniversary party or used as a personal prayer for a parent’s wedding anniversary or a friend’s wedding anniversary. This wedding anniversary prayer can also be used for a special anniversary, such as a 25th wedding anniversary or a 50th wedding anniversary. Prayer is always the perfect anniversary gift idea!
Wedding Anniversary Prayer of Blessing
Dear Heavenly Father, We thank you for the grace and blessings you have given this couple during the past______ years of marriage. We celebrate and recall the day when they joined together as partners in life and we thank you for being with them on their daily journey together through life’s ups and downs.
Increase their sense of belonging to each other, just as Jesus says, “For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh. So they are no longer two, but one.” (Matthew 19:5,6 NIV)
We thank you that you have freely given them your presence, strength, help and hope. We pray that they will continue to grow in their ability to work together for the good of each other, for the good of their family and for the good of the world.
Fill them with love, forgiveness, patience and trust.
Guide them with the light of your word where it says, “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is no proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.” (I Corinthians 13:4-8)
Increase their sense of companionship and friendship. Grant them the ability to laugh at their mistakes and the means to share the simple pleasures of life together.
Enable them to speak the truth in love. Help them to be good listeners. And grant them wisdom and a spirit of cooperation as they make your good plans together on the tough issues and challenges they face.
Surround them with good friends and neighbors. Protect their home. Care for their family. Provide for their needs. Guard their health. And may they enjoy many other anniversaries together. In the name of Christ we pray, Amen.
Other related articles
Prayers of blessing using the scriptures
Mother’s Day prayer
Father’s Day prayer
Expressing your prayers of blessings for others using the language of flowers
Copyright Karen Barber 2013. All rights reserved.
From the rehearsal dinner, to the reception, finding the right wedding prayers can be stressful. Here is a collection of popular wedding blessings to help you come up with the right words for this special occasion.
There is nothing more beautiful than when two people are joined together in holy matrimony. Youll want to commemorate the occasion with the perfect wedding prayers.
The best blessing will call attention to the new couple and ask for their love and relationship to be protected and grow stronger in the years ahead.
For Healing and Renewal
May your home be filled with laughter
and the warm embrace of a summer day.
May you find peacefulness and beauty,
challenge, and satisfaction, humor and insight,
healing and renewal, love and wisdom, as in a quiet heart.
May you always feel that what you have is enough.
The following wedding prayers are from the book The Prophet. They are two of the more beautiful wedding blessings I have ever read. They may suit your needs.
You Were Born Together
You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.
You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days.
Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness,
And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.
Love one another but make not a bond of love:
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other’s cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each of you be alone,
Even as the strings of the lute are alone though they quiver
with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not into each other’s keeping.
For only the hands of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together, yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other’s shadow.
Love Has No Other Desire
Love has no other desire but to fulfil itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires,
let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook
that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart
and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate Love’s ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved
in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.
Love is Patient, Love is Blind
A popular wedding dinner prayer is Love is Blind. This poem describes in detail what love is, and what love isnt. It ends by saying, And now these three remain: Faith, Love, and Hope. But the greatest of these is Love.
Indeed. The same qualities that make a happy marriage, are the same qualities that make a healthy relationship with God.
Love is Patient
“Love is Patient
Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast,
it is not proud. It is not rude,
it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil
but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts,
always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
And now these three remain:
faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love”
This prayer is based off a popular bible verse. Read more Bible Verses about Love.
The Strength of Two
Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
A Rhyming Wedding Dinner Prayer
What is a vow,
but an intention
spoken out before the world
so that the world, in hearing,
might take part
of the willing heart?
In our coming here today
to join and bless
the joy of your becoming wed,
may we enter in
the truth of the words you’ve said,
Maureen Tolman Flannery
Scripture For Wedding Readings
“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
Click here to read more Wedding Bible Verses
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Wedding Prayers and Blessings”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Success and good health and my future husband – Success, good health,to have children and my future husband.
- Breakthrough – Lord I come to you to today to restore my life to the humble peaceful types emit was . So much has changed . You …
- Blessing for monetary values – I’m already engaged and we are planning to have the wedding in January 2019 Me and my parents are finding hard in terms of money …
- Financial – In the name of the Father,the Son and the holly spirit,father GOD i know that you have made me and you knew me before I …
- Financial breakthrough – Lord,have mercy on me from every financial unfaithfulness in the past.Deliver me from the reproach of financial recklessness this year,open the door of financial dominion …
- Marriage – I am confused, whom should i marry.
- To marry my ex Boyfriend Gods way – Lord you know when I prayed for this man.I prayed in detial.You sent me the man you made just for me and me for him.Rey …
- Fiancee visa – Lord we want my process for fiancee visa to happen because me Leola Jeremiah and Mark silver wants to be marry soon plus we wants …
- Prayers for wedding – I have always wanted to wed butI don’t have any fund to organise all the requirements. Please pray for me
- Request to marry the one I love – I wish to submit my petition at the Holy Feet of Mother Mary and Jesus Christ; that I get married to the man I love. …
- Marriage – Please pray for me I just heard that there are some hindrances to my marriage its been 11 years now im single and looking for …
- Request – Pray for my daughter as they are planning for marriage solemnization, that God will direct them in His way and protect and bless them as …
- Broken vows, shattered trust – I just discovered texts between my husband and another woman. I am distraught, but am using this as a wake up call to me. Instead …
- prayer for merrage – i ask for honesty and trust in my relationship and further I pray for marriage. And financial break through in JESUS MIGHTY NAME.
- Relationship – I pray God to bless my relationship with my boyfriend that he may lead me according to God s way and that his family to …
- Marriage – Please pray I will get married at the end of this year. Please pray God will bring the right Godly man into my life.
- God’s wedding for me to uses – God has me to not wed a man in the future after today and i is already wed and marriaged in my past history to …
- Saving my wife’s soul – Father God, I simply come to you firstly to thank you again today for saving me. Lord, I beg you and plead you to cut …
- Get married – Hi, Kindly pray for me so that I can find a loyal girlfriend and get married soon. Thanks
- best online help to et your ex lover back now without any delay – This is a true life experience with Doctor Ewan who helped me save my marriage by doing a pregnancy spell for me. My name is …
- Broken Engagemnet – Please pray for our Broken engagement. I believe impossible is nothing for God. Restore our relationship till our wedding.
- Financial Liberation – Lord , enlarge my financial status so DAT I can meet all my financial needs and guards my ways in eveeything i do. In Jesus …
- A car, spouse and baby – Am praying and trusting God for a car, a Honda Fit, also a spouse and a baby
- relationship problem – Please pray for me that my lover returns to me as he is reluctant to marry due to financial problems.And hence he is purposefully avoiding …
- marriage and protection – heaveanly father. you the lord that has never forsaken me, and even today m deeply hurt so many times and always date wrong guys . …
- Wedding Meal Prayer – God our Father, & Lord of all Creation:We gather here now to celebrate the love and commitment of (bride) & (groom), as they share their …
- The Best Irish Wedding Blessing – “May the road rise to meet you…” is probably the quintessential Irish wedding blessing. Life is a journey, and a wedding is the start of …
- A Wedding Dinner Prayer – A Wedding Dinner PrayerBy ” Father Dan WentzloffLord we thank you for our family gathered here today in celebration of this marriage and the love …
- Lord locate my life partner. – Lord, You said that it is not good for us to be alone. You made us for each other. But Lord, I find it so …
- Prayer for the Resotration of My Marriage – Dear Heavenly Father,please help me right now. I am so hurt my marriage is falling apart. my husband has been talking to a co worker …
- God locate me with a life partner – Lord, You said that it is not good for us to be alone. You made us for each other. But Lord, I find it so …
- Wedding Prayer: “ALL BECAUSE OF LOVE” – Father, I am truly blessed with my lifetime partner (my husband), which you led into my path. Being submissive isn’t a challenge but is a …
- Scottish Wedding Blessing – Scottish weddings are steeped in tradition. A traditional Scottish wedding blessing can be fun to say even at a modern Scottish ceremony. Though there are …
- The Apache Wedding Blessing – The Apache wedding blessing is one of the most popular wedding prayers for modern weddings. It is nondenominational, and became popular after appearing in the …
- Prayer for salvation and strength – What fertility means to me it means to you?spiritual poetry my salvation and strength.heal me from the inside out, deal with me as I go …
- I need I want prayer – What fertility means to me it means to you?spiritual poetry my salvation and strength.heal me from the negative to the posotive., deal with me as …
- l need a football contract to do my wedding – My name is Katsekpor, Everywhere i go shame and disgrace, hated. Football coach dont really like me and i can sing a football contract too, …