Below is a collection of Funeral prayers that can be said before, during, or after a funeral ceremony or wake. It’s important to remember and cherish those who have passes with sacred blessings.
A funeral prayer should be comforting. Death is an uncomfortable time, but their is comfort in knowing that the deceased is now with God.
Oh Father of Mercies
Oh Father of mercies, and God of all comfort,
Thou hast often invited us to thyself in kindness.
It manifests our depravity that we think of Thee so little
In our hour of ease and prosperity!
But we are now before Thee in affliction and distress.
Yet we rejoice to know that Thou art a very present and an
All-sufficient help in trouble.
Read The 15 Best Christian Funerals Poems
The Trifles of Time
O let not the trifles of time
induce us to neglect the one thing
needful. While each of us is
compelled to say, I know Thou
wilt bring me to death, and to
the house appointed for all
living, may we be enabled also
to say, I know in whom I have
believed, and am persuaded that
He is able to keep that which
I have committed to Him against
And let not the solemnities we have
this day witnessed be ever
forgotten; for often our most
serious impressions have worn
off, and our goodness has been
as the morning cloud, and as
early dew that soon passeth away.
Meditation on Death and Dying
May we hear thy voice in Thy rod, as well as in Thy word;
And gathering from the corrections with which we are
Exercised the peaceable fruit of righteousness, be able to
Acknowledge, with all our suffering brethren before us.
Now in our grief, we are ever mindful of Thee, and we
Humbly request Thy blessing, not just for our brethren
Who have gone to Thy side, but for ourselves, that we
Need not suffer such loss to remain ever mindful of Thee!
It is not only the Scripture that reminds us of our living in
A dying world, but all observation and experience.
Man is continually going to his long home, and the mourners
Daily go about the streets. And we are all accomplishing
As hirelings our day, and in a little time our neighbors,
Friends, and relations will seek us ” and we shall not be.
Thou hast made our days as a hands breadth,
And our age is as nothing before Thee; verily every man at
His best estate is altogether vanity.
Suffer Us Not, At Our Last Hour
For our days are not only few; but full of evil. Anxieties
perplex us; dangers alarm us; infirmities oppress us;
disappointments afflict us; losses impoverish us;
And we fear Thine anger and Thine wrath.
O shut not Thy merciful ear to our prayers, but spare us,
O most Holy Lord; O God, most mighty;
O holy and most merciful Savior; Thou most worthy judge
Suffer us not, at our last hour, for any bitter pains
of death, to fall from Thee. And we beseech Thee O Lord
To receive with mercy unto Thine arms the soul of our dear
departed brethren today, that we may rejoice in their life
And honor their passing to Thy eternal care.
Thou Takest Away
Thou takest away, and who can hinder Thee, or say unto Thee
“What doest Thou?” Thou hast a right to do what Thou
wilt with Thine own.
Thou art a sovereign and the reasons of Thy conduct are often
far above, out of our sight. But Thy work is perfect, Thy
ways are judgment.
All Thy dispensations are wise, and righteous, and kind —
Even when they seem to be severe, as in this time of grief.
We acknowledge O God, with shame and sorrow, that the
state of degradation and mortality in which we groan was not
our original condition. Thou madest man upright, but he
sought out many inventions. Our first Father sinned, and we
have borne his iniquity. By one man sin entered into the
world, And death by sin; and so death hath passed upon all
men, for that all have sinned.
And we bless Thee that this is not our final state. By the
discoveries of faith, we see new heavens, and a new earth
wherein dwelleth righteousness. We see the spirits of just
men made perfect. We see our vile bodies changed and
fashioned like the Saviors own glorious body; and man,
the sinner, raised above the angels, who never sinned.
We bless Thee for this purpose of grace, formed before the
world began, and accomplished in the fullness of time
by the Son of Thy love, who hath abolished death, and
brought life and immortality to light by the gospel; and
who among the ravages of the grave, says, “I am the
Resurrection and the life; he that believeth in me, though
He were dead, yet shall he live; and whosoever liveth and
believeth in me shall never die.
May it be our immediate and supreme concern to win Christ,
and be found in Him; knowing that there is no condemnation
to them that are in Christ Jesus; and that blessed are the
dead that die in the Lord.
So teach us to number our days that we may apply our hearts
unto wisdom ” that wisdom which will lead us to prefer the
uoul to the body; and eternity to time; that wisdom which
will lead us to secure an interest in a better world, before
we are removed from this one.
Table of contents
Scripture for Funerals
“Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.”
Click here to read more Bible Verses for Funerals
If you have any funeral prayers you’d like to share, please do so below. Also, feel free to submit a prayer request. That way, the whole Prayers for Special Help community can help pray for your loved one.
God Bless, you have our sympathy.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Funeral Prayers”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Healing- I would like prayer for healing and for a financial breakthrough. In JESUS mighty name, AMEN!! …
- Heal my aching heart- Dear Lord, today I come to you with a humble and loving heart. With the passing of my father Lord I have been feeling very… …
- For my daughter- Father God, Jesus, Holy Spirit, I pray for my 41-year-old daughter who may have taken her own life, leaving 10, 12 and 16-year-old daughters and… …
- Help for a bad mistake- Please pray that a mistake and stupid thing I did 3 years ago is forgiven and I do not have to pay for it the… …
- Laying my dad to Rest In Peace- Tomorrow we will be laying my dad to Rest In Peace! My heart is heavy right know and i need prayer! I took care of… …
- Losing my Loving Wonderful Wife- Please Pray for my Wife who I lost a couple of months ago and Please pray from me her husband on how to deal with… …
- Lost Both Parents in this past Year- Dearest Jesus, The Holidays were rough, though Sharin and I tried to smile and get through it. Gary never talked to us, so we don’t… …
- Financial- My uncle died 2 days ago and i ask for the healing of they heart. …
- Comfort- Husband passed in October just need comfort. …
- For my friend family and my family- Dear God I come you to today just to say thank you for your love, peace and happiness that you have given me, today Lord… …
- To my beloved Randy- Please pray for my beloved Randy my fiance he died on Thanksgiving day and I just don’t know what to do or what to say… …
- Need The Lord’s Strength- Please pray that The Good Lord’s strength will lift my husband and me up and carry us through this tough time. My mom has passed… …
- To honor Melinda’s life- Dear Lord, I pray for Melis friends and family and my honored best friend after her death on September 19/20th. I hope everyone starts feeling… …
- The loss of a loved one- I need prayer for the loss of my wife. It’s been really hard these pasted days. We lived together for two years and just got… …
- A prayer for comfort- Today October 26th a loyal friend has passed away only to join Your kingdom dear Father. I’m so glad you provided such a friend who… …
- Lost of a child- I need help. My daughter was killed May 9 2017. She was stabbed over 70 times by someone attempting to rape her. She tried to… …
- Losing family- My ex lost her brother a few days ago annd she was like family and so was he even though she’s my ex I still… …
- Prayer for a widow- I ask you to please help my mom with her grief as a widow. Her husband, my father, died almost 3 weeks ago. They had… …
- Son’s Deployment- My son is currently deployed and was scheduled to return in a month. My Father, a Veteran, just passed away. Before that my grandma passed… …
- Prayer for the pain of losing someone I cared about- I’m engaged and my fiancé’s mother which was like a mother to me also passed away last night she found out she had stage 4… …
More prayers posted in: Funeral
Updated on November 29, 2018
Source Bible Verses for Death of a Loved One
The loss of a loved one is already devastating for anyone. When the loss is unexpected, the pain is beyond words. I know this because three years ago, my 19-year-old daughter passed away after an auto accident. My world came crashing down and I was engulfed in a wrenching pain that can only be known by another parent who has lost a child.
In the future, I hope to write more about my daughter and what God has taught me and is still teaching me, about the comfort He has given me, and the peace that is inexplicable. At this point, I can only write on the surface and without detail, but I want to share some Bible verses that have been and continue to be an encouragement for me in hopes that some other grieving mom may be looking for the same comfort and assurance that I searched for in the months following my daughter’s accident. I hope these help you as well.
Source Bible Verses for the Passing of a Loved One
- Those who have been ransomed by the Lord will return. They will enter Jerusalem singing, crowned with everlasting joy. Sorrow and mourning will disappear, and they will be filled with joy and gladness.
- The young women will dance for joy, and the men—old and young—will join in the celebration. I will turn their mourning into joy. I will comfort them and exchange their sorrow for rejoicing.
- Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going.
- I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
- Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began.
- Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? … No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below. Indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- No eye has seen no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.
1 Corinthians 2:9b
- And God will raise us from the dead by his power, just as he raised our Lord from the dead.
1 Corinthians 6:14
- Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. And do everything with love.
1 Corinthians 16:13
- All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.
2 Corinthians 1:3
- Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.
2 Corinthians 4:10
- For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands.
2 Corinthians 5:1
- For we will put on heavenly bodies, we will not be spirits without bodies.
2 Corinthians 5:3
- We would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:8b
- Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 6-7
- He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.
- And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
- So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.
1 Peter 1:6-7
- Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
- Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
- He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.
- And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
- God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.
- Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come. For those who follow godly paths
will rest in peace when they die.
- Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
If you have a favorite verse that has helped you in times of trouble, please do share it in the comments!
For Those Who Are Suffering
During the worst days following my daughter’s accident, God surrounded me with people who had gone through what I was going through—both in person and online. In fact, some of the greatest comforts for me during that period came from strangers online who are now friends. If you are struggling now, please feel free to contact me. I don’t even begin to have answers, but I understand the pain and I will walk beside you and share your grief.
If you are the friend of someone who has lost a loved, please read my article on how to comfort a friend.
All quoted scriptures are from the New Living Translation.