These prayers for children have been taken from out-of-print prayer and clergy textbooks. Our prayer sections are a work in progress and we will continue to add more as time goes on.
These prayers are broken into sections. There are prayers for children in trouble, for sick children, for those who are angry or depressed, and short blessings for children.
If you have a prayer request for a child, add it at the bottom of this page.
Related: How to Teach Children About Prayer
“Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the Kingdom of God.”
A Short Prayer for a Child
Strength and wholeness. I shall run and not be weary. I shall walk and not faintCome Gracious Spirit, Heavenly Dove,
With light and comfort from above.
Be Thou our Guardian, Thou our Guide,
Stay close by every child’s side. Amen!
Table of contents
- 1 Prayers for Children in Trouble
- 2 Prayers for Children Who Are Angry or Depressed
- 3 Prayers for sick children
- 4 Prayers for Children to Learn
- 5 Bible Verses About Children
- 6 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Children”
- 7 Recent prayer requests…
- 8 ABCs of Prayer: Prayer for children
- 9 PRAYERS FOR Kids
- 11 PRAYER RELAY MOVEMENT
Prayers for Children in Trouble
There are times in life when are children may stray from the Lord’s path. What follows are prayers for children who have lost their way, and need God’s guidance and blessings.
Dear Lord, you have witnessed the rebelliousness of youth since the very beginnings of time. You understand a parent’s anguish and helplessness over the actions of his child.
Please help us to transform our anger and frustration into loving care for our child who has gone astray. Help us begin to mend our broken fences and heal our broken hearts. Bless our child and also help him to mend the error of his ways. Help and bless us all to do right in Your name and restore us to peace and tranquility.
“Forgive the rebellious sins of youth …”
Child of The Light
Blessed is the Child of Light
Who doth seek his heavenly Father
For he shall have eternal life.
He that dwelleth in the secret place
Of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow
of the Almighty.
For he shall give his Angels charge over thee
To keep thee in all thy ways.
Know ye that the Lord hath been
Our dwelling place
In all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
Or ever he had formed
The earth and the world
Even from everlasting to everlasting,
Hath there been love
Between the Heavenly Father
And his children.
And how shall this love be severed?
From the beginning
Until the ending of time
Doth the holy flame of love
Encircle the heads
Of the Heavenly Father
And the Children of Light:
How then shall this love be extinguished?
For not as a candle doth it burn,
Nor yet as a fire raging in the forest.
Lo, it burneth with the flame
Of Eternal Light,
And that flame cannot be consumed.
From the Essene Gospel of Jesus
Read our Prayers for Purity.
Prayers for Children Who Are Angry or Depressed
Here is another prayer found in an out-of-print prayer book for a child that is upset or facing a difficult situation.
My Greatest Gift
Heavenly Father, my child is your greatest gift,
and my biggest challenge!
I know my child is truly distressed,
and yet I am at my wit’s end to find a peaceful resolution.
I feel helpless and frustrated.
I ask myself, What would my Heavenly Father
do in His infinite wisdom and beneficence?
Lord, come into my heart and mind,
and share Your loving wisdom with me!
Help my child to heal his pain, and help me
to become as loving and wise a parent, as You are for us
Your children. Thank You Lord, for
hearing me and coming to my aid! Bring your loving Peace to me and my child today.
The Kingdom of the Heavenly Father
My children, do you know that the Earth
And all that dwells therein
Is but a reflection of the
Kingdom of the Heavenly Father?
And as you are suckled and comforted
By your mother when a child,
But you go to join your father in the fields
When you grow up,
So do the Angels of the Earthly Mother
Guide your steps
Toward him who is your Father,
And all his holy Angels,
That you may know your true home
And become true Sons of God.
While we are children,
We will see the rays of the sun,
But not the Power which created it;
While we are children,
We will hear the sounds of the flowing brook,
But not the Love which created it;
While we are children,
We will see the stars,
But not the hand which scatters them
Through the sky,
As the farmer scatters the seed.
Only through the Communions
With the Angels of the Heavenly Father,
Will we learn to see the unseen,
To hear that which cannot be heard,
And to speak the unspoken word.
Prayers for sick children
There are few things in life that are more difficult than dealing with a sick child. As a parent, our children’s wellbeing is what we care about most in the world.
The following are prayers for children dealing with an illness.
Bring Healing to Our Child
Lord, you love our child as You love all children,
Bring healing to our child who is not well.
Stay by his side and comfort him through this trying time.
Keep us ever mindful of Your loving presence
Bless us with Your powerful healing and comfort us also.
Thank You for hearing our prayer!
Restore My Child to Health
O Lord God, I come to You for help and succor.
You have afflicted my child .
Help me to understand that You mean well.
Give me grace to bear my child’s affliction with patience and strength.
Bless me, O Father, and restore my child to health.
Do not forsake us, but give us an assurance of Your loving Kingdom.
Bless this illness to me and my child , and help us both to be better children of Yours because of it.
In the name of Your Holy Son Jesus Christ. Amen!
Read more Prayers for Healing Here.
Prayers for Children to Learn
These are good introductory prayers for children to learn. They are relatively short and they also rhyme making them easy to remember and easy to say.
They can be said in the morning or before bed.
Come Holy Spirit
Come, Holy Spirit, come
Let thy bright beams arise,
Dispel the darkness from our minds,
And open all our eyes.
Revive our drooping faith,
Our doubts and fears remove,
And kindle in our breasts the flame
Of everlasting Love. Amen!
A Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, I awake and see your light,
For You have kept me through the night,
To You I lift my hands and pray,
Keep me from sin throughout this day,
And if I die before it’s done,
Save me through Jesus Christ, Your Son.
Look Upon a Little Child Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, look upon a little child,
By nature sinful, weak and wild;
O lay Thy gracious hands on me,
And make me all I ought to be.
Gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
Look upon a little child;
Pity my simplicity
Suffer me to come to Thee.
O supply my every want
Feed this young and tender plant
Day and night my keeper be,
And every moment watch round me. Amen!
Related: The 5 Best Bible Stories for Kids
Bible Verses About Children
Click here to read more Bible Verses About Children
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.”
Also, we have a great collection of simple Bible Verses for Children to Memorize.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Children”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- My children- Please pray for my adult children to find employment soon. To be healthy and happy for as long as possible. Amen …
- Reunification with Mother- Please pray for my grandchildren who are in foster care. That their Mother is healed and they are reunited with her instead of their Father. …
- Family- My two little ones Elijah and Natalie are in CPS as of right now ,I ask for people to pray for their return to my… …
- Prayer for mind clarity- Please pray for my daughter Dianne to cure her completely and bring her out of Anger, Laziness and Stubbornness. She does not get up in… …
- My kids- Can you please say a prayer for me and my husband kids an grandkids we are going through so much pain deaths in the family… …
- For My 8 year old Granddaughter- My dear Lord, Please bring my 8-year-old granddaughter home to where she has lived with her grandfather and me for close to 8 years. She… …
- Faith- Dear God please be our Children and keep Safe and all Harm Please help them with. Faith and always Please let them fill your Presence… …
- Pray for my son battling alcohol addiction- Please pray for my 27 year old son who is battling with alcohol addiction. Lord please help him to overcome the addiction and find his… …
- A prayer for my daughter- Dear Lord our God I pray that you will help my daugher through this difficult time. She needs money deperately to pay for her repairs… …
- Pray For My Daughters- Under continuing spiritual attack. My family was broken. The enemy continues to stalk. i never realized it was this. Now, after much prayer and becoming… …
- My teen- My 14 year old just got baptised. She is now battling lust and rebellion. I believe this is satan trying to sway her from Christ.… …
- Help- Favor on Tuesday morning in court for my son. Grace and mercy. He has a part time job and needs God to reveal his purpose.… …
- Healing prayer- I pray for my son Matthew, heal him from his illnesses ( anxiety, panic attacks, and lumbar spine pain). Pray for his doctors to give him… …
- Prayer of protection from death over my children- God should guide my children from all the wicked one during the day and at night.I shall not mourn over any of my children …
- Prayer to ovulate and conceive this cycle- I pray that I ovulate and conceive this cycle. I recently had a miscarriage and I am now waiting to ovulate. I know that a… …
- Prayer for a second child- Please pray with me for me and cry to God to grant me a second baby..my son longs for a little brother or sister. we… …
- Prayer for employment- Dear Father in heaven, i humbly come before You, asking for Your Mercy , Grace and Love, please help my children to find the right… …
- My Family- I want my family to get closer to God.I pray for salvation every day for my family so please pray for me and my family. …
- Healing for me and children- Please Lord I am having chronic pains in my lower back and thighs for 2 years. My whole life is changed. Please help me in prayer… …
- Coming to Faith in Jesus Christ- Lord Jesus, you know how I am feeling about my children today. I pray, Lord, that you would bring my daughters to faith in you.… …
More prayers posted in: Children
There are two aspects to prayer points for children. One is what everyone else can include in their prayers when praying for children. The other aspect is what children themselves can focus on in prayer. One of the most neglected areas in the church today is teaching children to pray.
We let these young ones be bombarded by the world’s philosophies before we give them this tool of prayer to deal with it all. Proverbs 22:6 teaches us to train our children in the way that we want them to go.
It teaches that if this is done right, our children will walk on this path for life. Are your children trained in the way of prayer in such a way that they will not walk away from it?
As a ministry we hope and pray that this will be one of the aids that you can use to get closer to that goal. For the children, we will divide these into the ABCs of prayer. Older kids, don’t worry, we won’t insult your intelligence. There is just some charm in simplicity.
Return to the very basic, the building blocks of language, and make those the building blocks of prayer. Most children are thrust into prayer without a bedrock to stand on.
This was my experience. To suddenly be surrounded by adults who are engaging in prayer, and be expected to do the same. I believe there is a logical fallacy to this method.
Prayer should not just be words that we memorise and recite. It comes from the heart. Heartfelt prayers are a result of understanding the purpose of prayer. That is where we build our prayer for kids.
Lord we bless your name for these prayer points, we thank you for those who have committed time to create them. We speak a blessing over every person who will make use of these to seek your face. Father may every prayer raised here be a sweet fragrance to you oh Lord. We speak a blessing over every child and every adult that will use these in Jesus’ name.
We thank you for watching your word to perform it. May your faithfulness be seen in this. Let your word bring transformation to schools, to communities and nations at large. We declare that this will be the birthing of something new, something revolutionary for our children, for the next generation. We bless your name oh Lord. In Jesus’ name. Amen
ABCs of Prayer: Prayer for children
- Think and write down ten things that you are grateful for today. Write down another ten things that you are grateful for in your life. These may include your family, pets, food, accommodation and so on. Gratitude is an essential part of prayer. Count your blessings, be aware of them, and thank God for those.
- Father I thank you for watching over me, and all that is dear to me.
- 2. Benevolence
- Benevolence is kindness, goodwill, charity…things that God stands for. Things that you too as a child of God should consciously stand for.
- Father grant me opportunity to be kind. Teach my eyes to identify these opportunities, my heart to want to show kindness and my hands to make things better for others.
- 3. Courage
- Courage as generations before us knew it has become somewhat unrecognisable. Values that were once the fabric of Christianity are shunned or simply ignored. Father make us courageous.
- Give us grace to stand with those who have no one else to stand with them.
- May your causes be mine as well.
- May I not be swayed by status quo, rather stand in your will.
Prayer for children should always be preceded by an understanding that there is a God who cares, a God who is always listening to their words and to their thoughts.
Perhaps even more importantly, that he can and want to be involved. He wants to help. He cares. He is also an understanding ear, one that listens when no one else will. He is never too busy or otherwise engaged.
PRAYERS FOR Kids
1)Children honour their parents, first commandment with a promise
‘Honor your father and your mother, as the LORD your God has commanded you, that your days may be prolonged and that it may go well with you on the land which the LORD your God gives you.
- Father open the eyes of our children. May they know you will and evade worldly deception.
- Give them grace to follow you will.
- Show them how to honour their parents, that your blessings may follow them in this land.
- Grant them good health and longevity.
PRAYER FOR KIDS PDF DOWNLOAD
2) Prayer for kids: Obedience
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
- Lord may your word be a light unto our children path. More than anything, may their hearts truly desire to walk in the light.
- Give them humility and wisdom to run back when they have lost their way.
- Preserve them oh Lord, even when they have wandered off course.
PRAYER FOR CHILDREN_ OBEDIENCE PDF
1 John 2:1
My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
- Lord we pray for those that have lost their way. Soften their hearts that they may be open to rebuke and correction.
- Open their eyes that they may see you.
- May your grace and the knowledge of it be evident to them. Let your open arms not be forgotten. They have a place to run back to.
- Thank you, Jesus for being such a faithful advocate on their behalf, as you are to ours.
More Than 35 Wonderful Prayer for Family Points
3) Wisdom, insight and understanding and to be full of the word
- Father may your word dwell in our kids.
- May their hearts and lips be filled with your word.
- Raise a generation and word filled, God fearing men and women, against all odds. You are a God of “against all odds”.
- Lord raise Daniels for this generation. Youth who are truly after your heart. Youth who walk blamelessly in your eyes.
- Fill them with uncommon, ageless wisdom, knowledge and discernment.
- May their gifts be a source of elevation. Set them before kings, for your glory oh Lord.
- Fill our children with wisdom, with visions and dreams.
- May their hearts be filled with desires for spiritual gifts.
- By their gifts your name will be magnified even among non-believers.
- As Daniel’s enemies would acknowledge his God, let that be our children’s portion. Make them impactful persons.
- Set them apart for a standard of excellence. A standard that testifies of you oh Lord.
- Raise men and women in whom even enemies will not be able to find fault for your righteousness dwells in them.
- May opportunities find those who refuse to cut corners to get ahead.
- May the problems of their enemies provide opportunity for their upliftment.
- Lord we are believing for righteous men and women in positions of power. Raise them into positions in government and finance, that righteousness may be upheld in our nations.
4) That they may maintain their purity
This is a valuable thing that has silently lost its reverence even in the church. It is eating away at our youth. We are standing for a change in this area.
- Lord may your characteristics be imparted onto our children. We are called to be holy, as you are holy. May that desire to be like you not be lost in a desire for acceptance.
1 John 3:3
- Open our children’s eyes to the tricks of the enemy. May they not be deceived into impurity.
- Take captive ungodly desires, that they may walk in Christ Jesus.
- Lord we want our children to see you! Grant them this grace oh Lord.
5) Not to be conformed to this current worldly desire but to see the treasure in following the way of God
- Father at a time that our bodies are constantly being devalued in media and in all of society. We pray that our children may give their to you. That they would life for you.
- We come against all forms of conformity! They will be like a city on a hill! They will not ne lights hidden under baskets, rather blazing infernos that the Lord may be seen through them.
6)For our children to be record breakers and go getters just like David was
1 Sam 17
- May our children brave in standing for you and for your people.
- Set them apart as record breakers, history makers through Christ Jesus.
- May they rise for what you rise for.
7)Discipline to be instilled in our children from an early age
- Our children’s hearts will be filled with a desire to walk in your will.
- Give them humility and wisdom to accept correction and instruction.
- They will remain in your will, by your grace oh Lord.
- Stupidity will not be my children’s portion. They will accept correction and grow from it. In Jesus’ name.
- May every good seed that has been sown in them grow eternally.
- May they walk in the way that you have shown them.
- Remove them from paths of wickedness, and correct where teachers and guardians have fallen short of led them astray.
- They will not be victims of our shortcomings.
8)To get guidance from the Lord in critical decision making
- May our children’s ways be testament to who you are.
- They will acknowledge in all they do, that their paths would be made straight in Jesus’ name.
9)To always be on fire for God
1 Tim 4:12
- Lord, may our children’s walk in you be a beacon of hope.
- May they be living testimonies of your glory.
- Their youthfulness will not be a hindrance to their usefulness.
- May your fire burn eternally in them.
- Set them apart in their generation, as you set apart Daniel and his colleagues.
- Sanctify this generation oh Lord.
10) Safety and Protection
- Father may our children dwell in your shelter, in the shadow of the most high.
- We speak protection from every snare of the fowler, keep them safe oh Lord. No deadly pestilence will overtake them.
- Your faithfulness will be their shield and rampart.
- Fear will not be their portion in Jesus’ name.
- Where others falls, they will remaining standing through Christ Jesus.
- They will see the wicked fall, and know that you are God.
- They will call the Lord their refuge, and make the Lord their hiding place. No harm will be their portion, disaster will pass them by.
- May your covering be their portion, wherever they set their feet.
- Their call to you will always yield an answer in Jesus’ name.
- Long life will be their portion!!
11)Pray that children’s lives will be established upon a firm foundation biblical teaching
- We pray for parents and guardians, grant them wisdom to empower and guide the children.
- May their foundation be on the rock that is Christ Jesus.
- Let your word be know and evident in all they do.
12) For our children to excel in every area of their lives
- My children will prosper wherever your place them oh Lord.
- Even in the midst of oppression and suppression, they will rise in Jesus’ name.
- They were raised for such a time as this. Awaken the sleeping giants.
1 Sam 18:14
- Let their ways be marked by excellence and prosperity.
- May your presence be with them in all they do, in Jesus’ name.
PRAYER RELAY MOVEMENT
Our team’s goal is to continue to develop prayer aids that will continue to raise, enrich and to empower prayer warriors across the world. We are always looking to partner with ministries and individuals to achieve this goal. In 2018, we want to reach more people and expand as a team. Get in touch with us:
We also take prayer requests through our website, www.prayerrelay.com , be sure to make use of that. There are a few more resources on there for you. We are also keen on partnering with individuals and ministries that are on fire for Christ. Feel free to drop us an email.
Originally posted 2018-02-03 11:26:01.