Pastoral ministry is a business unlike any other. It is a dangerous business. A sacred business. A business where the souls of people are at stake.
I was a pastor for many years, so I have a feel for the perils and pleasures of ministry. It’s very hard, supremely rewarding work.
Gardiner Spring said:
It is at a fearful expense that ministers are ever allowed to enter the pulpit without being preceded, accompanied, and followed by the earnest prayers of the churches. It is no marvel that the pulpit is so powerless, and ministers so often disheartened when there are so few to hold up their hands…When the churches cease to pray for ministers, ministers will no longer be a blessing to the churches.
In light of the challenges of ministry, here are 8 prayers every church member should pray for their pastor(s) on a regular basis.
- 1 #1 – For Protection From Satan
- 2 #2 – For Protection Against His Own Sinful Heart
- 3 #5 – For Doctrinal Faithfulness
- 4 #7 – For A Strong Marriage and Family
- 5 Sustained By Prayer
- 6 Lovely Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
- 7 Happy Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
- 8 Prayers for My Pastor on His Birthday
- 9 Special Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
- 10 Best Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
- 11 Wonderful Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
#1 – For Protection From Satan
Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour (1 Peter 5:8).
If Satan can take down a shepherd of God’s people, the odds are much higher that God’s people will scatter. That they’ll become bitter and disenfranchised. They will question everything they’ve ever been taught by that pastor. Satan targets pastors because the damage is exponential if they fall. Pray for your pastor that he would be kept safe from Satan.
Father, please protect my pastor from the attacks of Satan. Give him the strength to endure temptation and stand firm against the accusations Satan loves to whisper in his ear. Help him stand firm in your service, always fighting for the faith and for his people.
#2 – For Protection Against His Own Sinful Heart
But each person is tempted when he is lured and enticed by his own desire. Then desire when it has conceived gives birth to sin, and sin when it is fully grown brings forth death. (James 1:14-15)
Pastors don’t fall because one day, out of the blue, they decide to dive headlong into sin. The slide into sin happens slowly, over time, in small increments, as the pastor believes the lies presented to him by his flesh. Pray for your pastor that he would be on guard against the lies of sin. Pray that he would have a proper fear of God.
Father, please protect my pastor from the deceitfulness of sin that we all are so prone to. Guard him from sin. Keep his conscience tender and fresh. Keep him close to you and close to your word.
#3 – For Deep Spiritual Encouragement
For I long to see you, that I may impart to you some spiritual gift to strengthen you— that is, that we may be mutually encouraged by each other’s faith, both yours and mine. (Romans 1:11-12)
Pastoral ministry can be brutal, discouraging work. Pastors find themselves in the midst of terrible situations on a regular basis – divorce, death, apostasy, and much more. It’s also challenging because they don’t see progress in the sense that other jobs do. Christians are always in progress. Because of this, discouragement and depression can be a regular companion of the minister. Pray for your pastor to be encouraged.
Father, please encourage my pastor by the power of your Spirit. Let his soul be refreshed with the love of Christ. Let him have faith for the future. Help him to keep pressing forward even when the way is littered with landmines. Let him be refreshed by the fact that your grace is sufficient for him.
#4 – For Wisdom
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. (James 1:5)
Many elements of pastoral ministry are not black and white. A husband and wife are in serious conflict, and the husband has one story while the wife has another. A church member needs financial support but has a history of mismanaged finances. A young man struggles with same-sex attraction while still wanting to follow Jesus. Pastors need God’s wisdom to navigate these gray areas.
Father, please give my pastor your wisdom. Help him know the way to go even when the way is not clear. Give him discernment to know good from evil, even when evil is dressed as good. Help him apply your word to even the most confusing situations.
#5 – For Doctrinal Faithfulness
By the Holy Spirit who dwells within us, guard the good deposit entrusted to you (2 Timothy 1:14).
Pastors can be tempted to modify or even abandon biblical doctrines for a variety of reasons. Cultural pressures, vocal church members, even legal actions can press hard upon pastors, making them feel that the only way out is to give up the clear teaching of Scripture. They need God’s grace to stay faithful to the good deposit of God’s word.
Father, I pray for my pastor that you would help him hold fast to Scripture, even when everyone else tells him to let go. Help him stand on your word and only your word. Protect him from the temptation to abandon the precious truths laid out in Scripture.
#6 – For A Healthy Body
But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified (1 Corinthians 9:27).
Ministry can take a tremendous toll on a pastor’s body. Yes, our bodies are temples, but they are often broken temples. Long nights at the hospital, high-stress situations, and ever-present discouragement can quickly lead to burnout and body betrayal. Not only do pastor’s need spiritual strength, they need physical strength as well. Pray for your pastor that he would be sustained in body and mind.
Father, please give my pastoral supernatural strength. Protect him from sickness and disease. Give him your energy to keep serving faithfully. Help him to find periods of rest and recovery. Guide him to still waters.
#7 – For A Strong Marriage and Family
Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach, not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money. He must manage his own household well, with all dignity keeping his children submissive, for if someone does not know how to manage his own household, how will he care for God’s church (1 Timothy 3:2-6)
Church history is littered with the skeletons of pastors whose marriages and families fell apart under the strain of pastoral ministry. And as 1 Timothy states, if a pastor can’t manage his family, how can he manage the church of God? Satan loves to sabotage a pastor’s family, and your pastor needs prayer that God will give him a healthy marriage and family.
Father, please give my pastor a supernaturally healthy marriage. Strengthen the bonds between him and his wife. Encourage them both in ministry. Give both of them wisdom to manage their family and to keep you at the center, not ministry. I also pray for their children that you would let them know you and follow you.
#8 – For Meaningful Friendships
A man of many companions may come to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother (Proverbs 18:24).
Pastoral ministry can be surprisingly lonely. Something about being in a position of leadership isolates the man. People look to him to be a teacher and leader, not be their close friend. Pastors need close friends who will encourage them, hold them accountable, and push them toward Christ.
Father, please give my pastor true, deep, sustaining friendships. Give him friends who stick closer than brothers. Who uphold him when he’s weary. Who help carry his burdens.
Sustained By Prayer
In some ways, pastors are sustained by the prayers of their people. Obviously, God is the one who ultimately sustains pastors, but one of his primary means is through the prayers for pastors.
When it comes to why you should pray for your pastor, take the words of Charles Spurgeon to heart:
No man can do me a truer kindness in this world than to pray for me.
Do your pastor a true kindness today. Pray for your pastor.
- 6 Signs Of A Bad Pastor and Spiritual Abuse
- 9 Bible Verses To Shine Light Into The Darkness of Depression
- 16 Mighty Prayers For Children God Delights To Answer
- Why Do We Pray? 3 Profound, Staggering, Compelling Reasons
- How Do We Pray Without Ceasing?
by Sandra (Rainsville, AL)
I ask for healing for my pastor. He is only 56 years old and has a heart disease and the doctors have told him there is nothing else they can do for him. He has such a passion for his church family and the lost and has so much more work he wants to do for you.
His wife needs him so much for reasons I won’t disclose but I don’t know what she will do without him. I know you are the ultimate physician and I have no doubt that you can heal his heart. I believe in the power of prayer and even though it might not be your will to heal him, you tell us to pray boldly and you will hear our prayers, so I am praying boldly that you will heal his heart and let him continue to bless your people in our church. He is loved so dearly but chooses not to tell the congregation at this time about this so we have to pray about it in private and it breaks my heart.
If he could only see how much we all love him and that he needs to let his people pray for him, Lord I ask on behalf of all the people that I know would be praying for him if they only knew. Please reach down and touch him and heal him because right now he refuses to do what the doctors have told him, which is to do nothing, but he is still out there teaching and preaching because I think he had rather die in the pulpit preaching your word than to step down and give up.
I believe that you hear our prayers and I pray with all my heart that it will be your will to heal him because we need him. He not only is a rock for his wife, but he is our rock in the church too. He loves you so much and we love him so much. I ask with hope and confidence that he will be healed, in Your holy name.
Return to 7 Daily Prayers to Get You Through The Week
I bet you will always want to send some birthday prayers to your pastor for as long as you can. I know you will love to do more too – but even if you don’t have more to give, nothing should stop you from sending dome birthday wishes to your pastor.
So pick one from the ones below and make his day with it.
Lovely Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
1. Happy birthday, Pastor. May God continue to use you for His good works.
2. Happy birthday, sir. I pray the Holy Spirit never depart from you and your household. Enjoy, sir!
3. Happy birthday to a man of God, who isn’t after the things of this world. May God uphold you to the end.
4. I wish you a birthday full of heavenly anointing. May God always strengthen you.
5. May the Host of heaven never leave you empty handed. May God bless you in the morning, afternoon, and night. Happy birthday, Pastor.
Happy Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
6. Happy birthday to the one who lifts up my spirit with the pure word of God. I wish you heaven-sent blessings.
7. Happy birthday to the man of God who isn’t only after preaching the gospel, but taking care of the needy. May the care of the Lord be on you and your household.
8. I celebrate one of the princes of God. May God take you places as you add another year. More anointing, sir!
9. May God continually do you good, as you celebrate your birthday, sir. Happy birthday to you, Pastor.
10. Wishing you and your loved ones peace, health, happiness, and prosperity. Happy birthday, sir.
Prayers for My Pastor on His Birthday
11. May this new year bring many opportunities your way. Happy birthday, Man of God.
12. May all your dreams come to reality as you celebrate your special day. I wish you a birthday full of heavenly blessings.
13. May the Lord turn all your efforts into a great achievement. Happy birthday, sir.
14. Wishing you a fabulous year full of great expectations and experiences. Happy birthday, Pastor.
15. May God open a meaningful chapter of grace, love, mercy, and uncommon favour in your life. Happy birthday, sir.
Special Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
16. May God keep you going and glowing in the wisdom of His will. Happy birthday, sir.
17. I wish you a glorious year ahead. Happy birthday, sir.
18. May success wake you up, motivation make you breakfast, destiny give you agenda, and the Lord gives you His blessings. Happy birthday, Pastor.
19. Happy birthday to the man of God who sacrifices his all for the growth and development of humanity. May you always have reasons to celebrate.
20. May all the problems you face as a Pastor, begin to disappear as the Lord adds another year to your years. Happy birthday, great Man of God.
Best Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
21. May you overcome all your difficulties and continue to be successful. Happy birthday, sir.
22. May you live longer to be 100, sir. In Jesus, you shall always find happiness. Happy birthday.
23. May God always give His best to you. Happy birthday, Pastor.
24. May all your positive thoughts begin to work together for your good. Happy birthday to you, Pastor.
25. Thanks for being a true mentor of our hearts. May God continue to increase you spiritually. Happy birthday, sir.
Wonderful Birthday Prayers for My Pastor
26. May your cup of anointing overflow as God adds a great year to your years. Happy birthday, sir.
27. I appreciate all you’ve done for us, through cash and kind. May God continue to increase you financially. Happy birthday to you, sir.
28. Dear God, help me bless my Pastor beyond his imagination. Make him happy all the rest of his life. Amen! Happy birthday, sir.
29. May God give your life a turn around for good. Happy best day, sir.
30. Happy birthday to this great man of God. May you always flourish in and out.