Are you praying for a wife or a husband? The preceding marriage prayer is a suitable wedding prayer for you.
God is not only the Creator God but also the God who authored love and romance. The Scriptures begins and ends with marriage — of Adam and Eve and the Bridal body of Christ with Jesus Christ, the Lamb of God. And in-between the Old and New Testaments, godly men and women of the Bible tied the knot and
fulfilled God’s destiny for their lives together.
Marriage is more than a signed contract between a husband and his wife. It is a divine covenant with God as the third party. Marriage is a blood covenant being sealed when the hymen membrane in a woman is being broken and blood is shed for the first time during consummation. God has placed this institution in the society for married couples not only to procreate but to respond to His call to inhabit and take dominion over the earth and proclaim the gospel to the lost.
In this contemporary day and age, the original intent of God for marriage has slowly been forgotten because of the propensity of man towards divorce, legal separation, annulment, illicit co-habitation or living-in, homosexuality, sexual perversion, pornography, and fornication. Those in the Christian circles are not exempted from all these.
However, there are still Christian men and women who are keeping themselves pure and holy while waiting for the right and the best godly
Praying for a Wife
spouse for them. Many of these godly bachelors and bachelorettes have been praying for a wife or husband and fasting to seek the will of God for their lives. Perhaps, you are one of them—patiently waiting and eagerly expecting that one day, you will meet the one God has for you since the foundations of the world.
Do not lose hope because if God has placed a desire in your heart until now to marry a spouse, experience sexual intercourse, and bear children, then be assured that they can happen in God’s appointed time. Begin to pray wedding prayers for your future husband or wife everyday, blessing him and praying for his protection and goodwill. You may list down Bible verses to declare as prayers for him daily and thank the Lord for him even though he has not arrived yet in your life. Thank God in advance for him. You may listen to God for his specific qualities or character and pray them through.
Then, for the practical side of it, prepare yourself for your meeting and for the marriage you have so long been praying for. Take care of your body and make yourself presentable, neat, and clean because any moment could be the day that he will come. Become emotionally stable, mature, and strong in your spirit as marriage is not as easy as you think it will be. Organize your life and make preparations to become a wife or husband. Learn how to cook, clean, fix household stuff, work efficiently, and handle finances. The moment you prepare yourself seriously for marriage, perhaps the faster your spouse will appear before you.
Continue on praying for a spouse and allow the Holy Spirit to renew your mind with God’s Word daily and take control over your will, emotions, and heart. Guard your heart at all times as not all prospective men or women is the right one for you. It takes a strong discernment to know and to choose God’s best for your life. Do not settle for anything less. You will know the perfect spouse if you are attuned to the voice of God, rested in His presence, and know His perfect will. The result of love is beauty and life. If this person is imparting beauty and life in you and you are at peace, in joy, and excited then this can be God’s spouse for you.
It is important that you have an accountability partner like a trusted pastor or spiritual mentor or a close friend to consult with the matters of the heart. God is the one who gives a man his wife and He speaks to the man and woman that they are meant for each other and the biological and spiritual family in the church or ministry will confirm it.
You may have prayed many prayers before. You may use this prayer for marriage as a guide —
Our Father God, you know the deepest longings of my heart. How I yearn for someone to be with, to talk to, to love me, and to share my life with. I have spent countless nights crying out to you to bring the right person and ordain our meeting. Instill in him the sense of urgency to find me. Let him long for me as well and speak to him that it is me you have chosen for him. Prepare us now in all aspects of our lives and set us free from anything that binds, ensnares, entangles, and addicts us. Remove the wrong people from our lives and cut all our ungodly soul ties from our past relationships and even our emotional or romantic entanglements now with other persons. I ask You, Lord to mold us to be a responsible and committed spouse for each other that our marriage will last for as long as we live. I pray for him that You will protect my spouse and deliver him from all temptations. Give me to someone who will honor me and respect me, love me, cherish me, and take good care of me. I am praying for the best and right spouse for me, the one you planned for me to marry. Order our steps so that our paths will cross in Your beautifully ordained time. Orchestrate events for us to find each other. Keep us pure and holy at all times even when no one is watching because indeed You are. I bless my spouse that he will become who You called him to be. I bless his spirit, soul, and body to be whole. I plead the blood of Jesus over both of us and everything concerning us. Thank you Jesus for this desire to marry and the hope and excitement to enter into this sacred union with You. Have Your way, Lord. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
God is our Husband and Maker. Accept His invitation to be the lover of your soul. Love God first and then when He knows that you are completely His, He will give you the man or woman of your dreams because by then God knows that He is your first love even though you have an earthly partner to share the rest of your life with. If you learn this, God will give you the desires of your heart because it is He who placed those desires as you delighted in Him. Every time you feel discouraged and hopeless about getting married, go back to this marriage prayer and be encouraged.
Here is another Prayer for a Husband for you.
Here are some other prayers that may be helpful to you
Jeremiah 29:11-13 Prayer
Prayer for Wisdom
Prayer of Faith
Table of contents
- 1 Why do we need marriage prayer points?
- 2 Marriage Prayer
- 3 Childhood hurt
- 4 Formation
- 5 Love
- 6 Longevity
- 7 Healing and renewal
- 8 Infidelity
- 9 Fruitfulness
- 10 Divorce
- 11 Prayer for Restoring Marriage
- 12 Prayer for a Loving Soulmate
- 13 Prayer for a Marriage In Need
- 14 Prayer for a Lost Love/Partner
- 15 Prayer for a Friends’ Troubled Marriage/Relationship
- 16 Prayer for Financial Peace In Marriage
- 17 Prayer for Clear Communication in Relationships
- 18 Bible Verses about Marriage:
Why do we need marriage prayer points?
Along with families, there is a great attack on the institution of marriage. Broken marriages have a far-reaching effect. Statistics show that the current divorce rate in the United States of America is between 40-50%.
The number of marriages are also falling significantly over the last few years. More and more children are being born outside of wedlock. This lack of stability is crippling our societies. You may think that this is a US statistic, but it stretches far and wide. The decline in marriage rates is also mirrored in the UK.
UK Marriage Stats
God knows the importance of marriage, and designed it to be a cradle for families. We ought to stand up for our marriages. Mark 10:9 “Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” We need more and more men and women to take a stand for their marriages, more and more people to not walk away from their unions, but to seek the Lord’s direction and intervention in their marriages.
In the mighty name of Jesus, Lord we speak your blessing over these prayer points. May your anointing be upon all who will make use of these prayer points. May your presence bring resolution into marriages that are on the rocks today.
Father may more and more marriages be built on the rock that is Christ, instead of the sand that is worldly wisdom. Call back husbands’ hearts to their wives, wives’ hearts to their husbands.
Father raise more man into true fatherhood as you had intended it in marriages. Every spirit that rises against marriages, father may you raise a standard against them in Jesus’ name. Amen
Here are our prayer points for marriage. Share them with your loved ones.
“It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men.” These are the words of Frederick Douglass. I believe that this is an analogy that applies to women as much as it does to men.
There are so many broken men and women who are being put together with other broken men and women and expected to create strong marriages. Father, heal our homes.
Psalm 34: 4
I sought the LORD, and he heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
- Father we pray for victims of sexual and physical abuse. Heal them Lord. Take away the scars and bitterness that have been left by these experiences. May they not be carried into their marriages and relationships.
- Lord we pray for parents and guardians. Give them wisdom to raise strong men and women.
- Lord raise strong marriages among us, marriages that the next generation can look up to and aspire to.
- Father we pray that you would raise mentors for our young generation, to show them the way.
- Lord we pray for broken parents and guardians to have the wisdom to not pass down their own hurt and insecurity to the next generation. Heal them father, as they raise these children.
- We pray for children being raised in undesirable situations to be rescued. Make a way for the dear Lord.
- Open our eyes to situations where you can use us to be part of the solution. In Jesus’ name.
- Give us boldness to walk in your will, and show as well as encourage others how to do the same.
Our societies are becoming ones without moderation. Marriages are a wonderful thing, but are being viewed less and less in that light. By the same token, more and more people are entering this sacred union blindly. Either because of the burden of pressure and expectation that exists within our churches.
The Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians 7 acknowledges the beauty of marriage but also the ease of single life. It is good to be married, but not mandatory. Not all can be single and live a holy life, but neither can all be married. If you desire marriage, that is a beautiful thing. May the Lord deliver that desire to you, in Jesus’ name.
- Father, let the hearts of the wives be consumed with love and passion for their husbands. May husbands be equally consumed with love and passion for their wives.
- We speak your love into marriages in their formative stages. We speak direction and wisdom into relationships and courtships as they build towards marriage.
2 Corinthians 6:14
- Father we pray that you would raise more and more God-fearing men and women within the church.
- We pray for firm foundations in relationships.
- Raise more wiser men and women to guide the young lovers.
- Open our eyes and guide our choices of mates.
- Father we pray that you would open our eyes as we seek to find ideal mates.
- Give us wisdom to not be swayed by visual desires. There are ways that may seem right to men but will only lead to death. Preserve us oh Lord.
- Father, you command a blessing where there is unity. Bring unity into our relationships.
- We pray for purpose and a shared vision for couples.
- Lord we pray that couples would well and truly become one. Raise us to value, cherish and to love one another.
- Lord make us co-guardians of our spouses’ souls. Give us a true desire to lead them in your way.
- We will be true stewards of the husband or wife that you give us. To bring the best out of them, as they do for us.
- May we love them as you have loved us, without condition but full of sacrifice.
- May our eyes be cast on things above, more than things of this earth.
1 Corinthians 7:9
- Dear Lord, may our desires for marriage be noble.
- Protect us from negative relationships, and protect others from us, where we may be their detractors.
- May our shared desires and vision bring us together in Christ and through him.
Prayer Points for the Family
- Lord teach us to love like you do.
- May our love be seen in our actions and heard in our words of affirmation to our loved ones.
1 Corinthians 16:14
- May our actions be guided love, in all that we do.
- Lord give us loyal partners to walk through life with, they have become rare.
- Grant us grace to go the extra mile for our loved ones.
With marriages falling apart sooner than ever before, there is a lack of longevity. Our prayer is that the Lord would grant us longevity. Father establish marriages that last long, marriages that are strong and with direction. Let there be marriages that are built on the rock that is Christ. That is our next marriage prayer point.
- Father we thank you for wonderful wives. We pray for longevity. Grace them in their day to day lives for fruitful and fulfilling marriages.
- Grant husbands grace to love and cherish the gift that is their wives.
- May no shame be her portion.
- She will be a source of pride for her husband and her children, in Jesus’ name.
- Lord give us grace to pursue a worthy life partner.
- Show us value, and make us valuable to potential mates.
- Teach us to identify and appreciate one another’s value.
- Lord, you have brought couples together. We pray that you would keep them together.
- Cast away any person that would like to separate marriages.
- Any wedges that seek to separate men and women you brought together, let it be removed in Jesus’ name.
- No man or woman will separate us! We speak strength in marriages in Jesus’ name.
1 Peter 4:8
- Lord teach us to not dwell on one another’s shortcomings, but to love through it all.
- We will love fervently, as Christ loved.
- May our love cover the faults of our loved ones.
- Lord, may we brought together by reverence to you.
- You are the foundation of our relationships.
- Anything that we haven’t built on you, may it not stand.
- We choose to build on the rock that is Christ.
- We submit to our wives and husbands for your glory, oh Lord.
- May our marriages be established and unbreakable.
Healing and renewal
We are going to pray for marriages that are on the rocks, marriages that are falling apart while we remain oblivious. There is nothing too dead for a resurrection. We are praying for those marriages that either spouse or both have given up on.
The bible says when Jesus arrived at Lazarus’ house, Mary and Martha had given up on his life. A healing was impossible, but a resurrection was inconceivable. May the Lord do the inconceivable for your marriage in Jesus’ name. Let love arise!!
- Father soften our hearts. Soften the wives and husbands’ hearts. Cast away all pain and hurt. Cast away all bitterness in Jesus’ name.
- Teach us to forgive, and grant grace to a point where it hurts.
- Father, you have continued to forgive us, may we show that same love to others.
- Heal us of hurt, open our hearts oh Lord.
1 Peter 3:7
- Father we pray for all husbands, give them grace to be of a patient and understanding disposition.
- Father teach husbands to honour their wives.
- Lord, may their weaknesses be strengthened by their wives’ strengths, and their strengths be their husbands’ strengths in Jesus’ name.
- May husbands never look down upon their wives, but view them as equals. In the name of Jesus!
- Let our prayers bear results, in Jesus’ name.
Infidelity is a key factor in the break-up of most marriages. We want to pray for resolution and in marriages that have been marred by infidelity. God can heal in all cases. It is not too late for your marriage. Father, where there is hurt, where there is mistrust, where there has been betrayal, dear Lord, help us.
- Father may our marriages bring you honour. Where we have brought you dishonour, we repent.
- Lord where we have been wronged and taken our eyes off you to focus on our hurt, help us look up to you.
- Where our marriage beds have brought you dishonour, father forgive us.
- Father, forgive us for infidelity on our part, or an unforgiving nature where we have been wronged.
- May your judgement be merciful in Jesus’ name. Amen
- Father may our eyes be in covenant with you. To not look upon others wives and husbands.
- Where we have looked in lust, Lord forgive us.
- Any adulterous desires be cast away in Jesus’ name. Amen
Our mandate is one of fruitfulness on this earth. Our marriages are no exception. Our prayer here is that the Lord would grace us to be fruitful in all that we do. May the Lord birth fruitfulness in our relationships, in our homes, in our businesses and in all else that we set our minds to and put our hands to work on. In Jesus’ name. Amen
- Father we pray for fruitful and fulfilling marriages. Open our eyes to traits in ourselves that may be a hindrance to this.
- Open our eyes to opportunity to sow seed of love and in love.
- May our hearts be consumed by your love, that we would not contain but share the fruit of your love.
The hardest thing that anyone could possibly go through when it comes to relationships is a divorce. Our key marriage prayer is that the Lord would raise up men and women who have fallen down this pit. Let this not be the end, but a new beginning through Christ.
1 Corinthians 7:15
- Father we pray for healing where marriages have been broken by difference in faith. We pray for peace for both parties.
- We pray for children in these situations, cover them oh Lord.
- Let this relationship be one that they carry into their future relationships.
- Soften hearts for peaceful resolutions.
- Let our hearts be filled with humility, whether we were wrong or wronged.
- May meekness be our portion, through Christ.
- Even in divorce, let no hatred develop. May love reign.
PRAYER RELAY MOVEMENT
Our team’s goal is to continue to develop prayer aids that will continue to raise, enrich and to empower prayer warriors across the world. We are always looking to partner with ministries and individuals to achieve this goal. In 2018, we want to reach more people and expand as a team. Get in touch with us: [email protected]
We also take prayer requests through our website, www.prayerrelay.com , be sure to make use of that. There are a few more resources on there for you.
Originally posted 2017-12-31 19:49:41.
Do you feel like your relationship is in trouble? Perhaps your better half has left, your marriage is on the rocks, or you simply feel out of place with the person you are with. You value the relationship that you have with your husband or wife, and you honor and respect the vows that you took in front of God and witnesses. Despite the best of intentions, there are times when even the most perfect relationship has problems and issues. It is common for a member of the relationship to run-away from those problems, or refuse to face them by trying to leave the relationship and the home you’ve made together. Do not despair, there is hope, you just have to find faith and encouragement from our gracious Lord above.
Prayer can repair the most damaged marriage. The power of God can bring two people, who are intended to be together, back into a love filled marriage. Your union will know the love from the blessings of God if you keep your eyes on Him in all things. Through prayer, anything is possible. God is all-powerful and all-knowing, He can mend any bridges that may have been burned by conflict, clear away any confusion, and give you the power to forgive when needed most. If your relationship is in need of a blessing and you have nowhere to turn, always consider the power of prayer. God is always there to listen, and his followers on earth are always ready to assist in having your prayer requests heard.
“And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.” Ephesians 4:32
Prayer for Restoring Marriage
Lord, I come before you today with a heavy heart; my marriage is in grave trouble, and I need Your help and closeness. Please make changes in my spouse’s heart. Make us compatible again, and bring us closer together as we were before. Fill us with Your love and give us the strength to love one another, care for one another, and fulfill your life long wishes for us. Show us the harm caused by careless, uncalled for words, and the pain caused by emotional distance. Heal the division between the two of us. Make us one again. In Your precious name I pray, amen.
Prayer for a Loving Soulmate
I seek a partner who enhances me by his/her very being. who brings more love, joy, peace and prosperity to my life, Who I can love fully and who can fully receive my love, Who loves, honors and cherishes me completely, and always. May my heart be open and my head be clear. May my life be ready to welcome True love. May I be embraced in a circle of your love An uplifted by your grace. And so it is.
Prayer for a Marriage In Need
My heart cries out to You, my Maker of Heaven and of Earth! Please bring healing to our broken hearts, bring restoration to our relationship, ignite lost passion, and inspire forgotten intimacy. Please transform the two of us from the inside out, and lead us in Your way. We trust in you, Precious Jesus. Always. Amen.
Prayer for a Lost Love/Partner
Precious Savior, please pray that my heart’s desire be granted, and the return of the love of my life would come to fruition. I pray that my spouse/partner may have healed his/her wounds from the past, and forgiven all that has gone wrong between the two of us. Lord, help my lost love be able to follow his/her heart to their desire and love me for me. I ask that we be forever reconciled as one, from this day forward.
Prayer for a Friends’ Troubled Marriage/Relationship
Heavenly Father, I come before you and lay this troubled marriage/relationship in your hands. I ask that you would revive this couple, and draw them toward happiness shared together. I ask that you would renew their love and passion for one another, and that you would untangle the conflicts and strife that has damaged and angered them towards one another. Please bring understanding and tenderness of heart to both of them. May they both embrace the miracle that you desire to do for them, and within their spirits. Amen.
Prayer for Financial Peace In Marriage
I lift up my heart to You today, my precious Lord. Please help us to rely on You more in our marriage when it comes to our finances. We can be easily distracted by the amount of money in our bank account, or even by the jobs we currently have. Help us not to trust in the matter of money itself, but more importantly, trust in Your economy and Your word. May Your Holy Spirit fill us with wisdom in how to manage our finances, give us generous hearts to give to those in need, and teach us to not worry about money so much. We pray there would be peace in our marriage, especially over finances, at all times, and in all ways. May Your presence keep us grounded, keep us calm, and keep us in Your will always.
Prayer for Clear Communication in Relationships
Lord, I feel like my partner and I have had a difficult time clearly communicating with one another lately. We are both lacking in our compassion and understanding towards each other. I pray we would be better than this, and that You will open our hearts to You. Holy Spirit, please help us be better communicators with each other. I pray that we would live with understanding for what the other person is going through, and that we are thoughtful in our words and actions. Amen.
Bible Verses about Marriage:
“Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate.” Mark 10:9
“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers a multitude of sins.” 1Peter 4:8
“Enjoy life with your wife, whom you love, all the days of this meaningless life that God has given you under the sun—all your meaningless days. For this is your lot in life and in your toilsome labor under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 9:9
As we start 2018, we know one of the most impactful ways you can grow your marriage is to pray.
Yes, we want to put our dreams, hopes, and desires into action. And yes, we do want to intentionally serve our spouse.
But, we all can grow and take ground in our time and efforts to pray for our marriages. I know I can.
Most couples struggle in their prayer lives. We struggle in our individual times of prayer and we struggle even more to pray together as a couple. In this post, we want to help you pray for your marriage and the marriages of those around you.
Modify these prayers however you like, but hopefully this post provides you with a model for how you can pray for your own marriage in 2018. We also hope this will help you dream big for the marriages in your extended family, community, church, city, state, country, and world.
Our desire at Watermark is to prepare nearlyweds, establish newlyweds, and enrich and restore all marriages. We want to see this happen at Watermark (at our three campuses—Dallas, Ft Worth, and Plano) and all across the country and world. We hope you’ll join us in praying for marriages in 2018.
But, it all must start with our own marriage.
1) Prayers for your marriage:
God, I pray you would help me and my spouse grow as a couple in 2018. I pray you’d help us to love you more and pursue each other out of our love for you. Help us to pursue each other in communication and conflict. Help us to make our marriage a priority and that in the middle of jobs, careers, kids, television, social media, and so much more that we would still keep our marriage our most significant human relationship.
Scripture: Genesis 2:24, Ephesians 5:22-33
I pray our marriage would be different than the marriages of the world. I pray our marriage would bring you the glory you deserve. Protect us from divorce and help us grow in our commitment to one another. Help us to avoid isolation or anything else that could lead us to withdraw from one another, from friends, and from the body of Christ.
Scripture: Matthew 19:6, Hebrews 10:24-25
Help us to be creative in the ways we pursue one another in 2018. Help us to enjoy being married to one another! I pray we wouldn’t be boring or stagnant like so many marriages around us. Help us to pursue each other romantically and sexually.
Scripture: Proverbs 5:18-19, Ecclesiastes 9:9
God, I pray you’d help me to love and cherish my spouse. Help me to value, encourage, respect, and nourish our relationship.
Scripture: Proverbs 6:9, 1 Corinthians 13:4-7
Help guard my eyes and thoughts from thinking about anyone other than my spouse. Help me to fight the temptations of the world and the temptations of my flesh. I pray if I fall short I would confess to my spouse and to others around me.
Scripture: Job 31:1, 1 Corinthians 10:12-13, 1 John 1:9
Help us to do the things we did in the beginning, to make you our first love, and my spouse my second love. Help me to seek first your kingdom and to trust you with everything else.
Scripture: Revelation 2:4-5, Matthew 6:33
God, help us to remember you went first. Thank you for modeling the way in initiating your love for us. I pray I’d be the same way with my spouse, that I wouldn’t wait for them to act or respond, but that I would be the type of spouse who initiates and proactively seeks to communicate, serve, and love.
Scripture: Romans 5:8
I pray you’d help us to live with each other in an understanding way. Help me to be a student of my spouse. Help us to do nothing that would hinder our prayers.
Scripture: 1 Peter 3:7
Help us to support each other in our dreams, hopes, and desires. I pray we’d be intimate with each other emotionally, and be able to share hurts from the past, current struggles, and future hopes and dreams. Help me to listen well to my spouse when they share areas of hurt or insecurity. I pray I’d be a safe place for my spouse to share and that I’d be gentle in my response. I pray you’d help us fight sin together as a couple.
Scripture: Galatians 5:22-23
I pray you’d help me to consider the needs of my spouse before my own. I pray you’d help me to combat selfish desires and vain conceit. Help me to serve my spouse with joy.
Scripture: Philippians 2:3-4, Mark 10:44-45, James 4:1-3
God, please show me one way I can love my spouse today, and I pray you’d give me the courage to do whatever you show me. Help us to be on mission as a couple and to be bold in the ways we love and dream. Help us to share our story with other couples, and I pray you’d use our marriage to help others around us.
Scripture: Ephesians 6:10, 2 Timothy 1:7
2) Prayers for marriages around you
I pray the marriages of those around me would thrive, and that they would see marriage as a gift from God. I hope you will help every marriage in our church in the ways I prayed for my own marriage. I pray for the leaders and pastors in my church, and that you’d help them in their marriages. Help them to lead with integrity and I pray you’d protect them from isolation and divorce. I pray they’d be vulnerable and honest as they lead.
Scripture: 1 Timothy 3:1-7, Titus 1:5-9
I pray that the marriages in my church home and community would continue to be radically transformed by you and be strengthened in a way that only you can do! We know with you anything is possible, so we pray you would do what’s impossible for man but very possible for you.
Scripture: Luke 18:27, Philippians 4:13
God, I pray you would change the world through marriage. We pray you’d change our world, nation, state, city, church, community, and our own homes through marriage. Thank you for the gift of marriage, and I pray we’d honor you in every way in our marriage in 2018.
Scripture: Romans 12:1-2
I’m sure there’s much more that can be added to this list, but I “pray” it provides you with a starting place to pray for your marriage. Print this post out and put it in your bible or journal as a reminder to pray for your marriage, your spouse, and for the marriages around you.
1. Share this post with your spouse and share it with your community group or friends. Get some accountability and encouragement from others to help you pray for your marriage on a consistent basis.
2. If we (the marriage team at Watermark) can pray for you in any specific way, please comment below or email us at [email protected]