You are attending a wedding and have no idea how to extend your wedding wishes. Whether you will be expressing yourself in a card, a toast or a note in the guest book, it is important to make it heartfelt. Let the thoughts be genuinely yours and, if you know the couple well, include some personal references. Newlyweds may also appreciate humorous words of wisdom from those with married life experience.
Personal Wishes from Parents
It has warmed our hearts to see your love bloom and mature into the beautiful commitment we witnessed today. (Daughter’s name), you have made us proud with everything you achieved in life, especially today with this excellent choice of life partner. (Husband’s name), we entrust our daughter to you with joy in our hearts, knowing that we are not losing a daughter but gaining a son. Welcome to the family. We wish you both a life together filled with love and happiness.
Marrying a person is like finally buying something you have been admiring in a shop window for a long time. You will love it when you take it home, but it may not always go with the rest of the things in the house. Marriage is all about compromising and often takes a lot of work, but the love you two share is worth the effort. Enjoy your married life and don’t forget to have fun!
When You Don’t Know the Couple Well
Wishing you all the best things marriage may bring. A shared future of friendship, love and the wonderful partnership that is married life.
Wishing you God’s blessings on this day of celebration. May He always be the heart of your relationship, the light in your home and ever-present in your married life.
One half pound patience, one pound good temper, one pound sweetness of youth, one pound blindness to faults, one pound smart thinking, one pound humor, two pounds communication, one pint of fun, one wine glass of intoxicating love and a dash of playfulness. Pour this all into a vessel of trust, bake in the oven of radiant love, decorate with smiles and serve with patience, unselfishness and a cheerful heart. Follow the instructions and you are bound to live happily ever after.
About the Author
Virtually growing up in a computer repair shop, Naomi Bolton has held a passion for as long as she can remember. After earning a diploma through a four year course in graphic design from Cibap College, Bolton launched her own photography business. Her work has been featured on Blinklist, Gameramble and many others.
If you are having a religious marriage ceremony, you will probably want to include at least one wedding prayer. There are a wide variety of existing prayers relating to love, marriage, and weddings for you to choose from, or if you want to make your ceremony very personal you could write your own with the help of your minister or celebrant.
Who says the wedding prayer?
There are a number of possibilities when it comes to reciting the wedding prayer. Some prayers are designed to be said by the couple themselves, while others are intended to be recited by the minister, a single guest, a child, or by the whole congregation altogether.
What should be included in the wedding prayer?
Usually you would include a wedding prayer in your ceremony after you have been pronounced husband and wife. Prayers designed to be used in wedding ceremonies tend to have similar themes which might include;
- Thankfulness that the couple have found each other
- Gratefulness that family and friends are assembled together for the wedding
- Hope that the marriage will be happy, long, and fruitful
Example wedding prayers
The type of wedding prayer that you choose will depend on whether you want to read the prayer as a couple, or whether you want the minister or guests to read it. Here are two examples of couples’ prayers, including a famous prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson:
Wedding Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson
Lord, behold our family here assembled.
We thank you for this place in which we dwell,
for the love that unites us,
for the peace accorded us this day,
for the hope with which we expect the morrow,
for the health, the work, the food,
and the bright skies that make our lives delightful;
for our friends in all parts of the earth.
A short couples’ prayer
Lord, help us to remember when we first met and the strong love that grew between us.
To work that love into practical things so nothing can divide us.
We ask for words both kind and loving, and for hearts always ready to ask forgiveness as well as to forgive.
Dear Lord, we put our marriage into Your hands.
The wedding prayer that you choose may also depend on your religious denomination. Here are two short wedding prayers for the minister or congregation to say at Protestant or Catholic weddings:
How much did your engagement ring cost?
$0 – $1,000
$1000 – $2000
$2000 – $5000
$5000 – $10,000
I don’t have an engagement ring
Mine is a family heirloom
Thank you for your vote
$5000 – $10,000 314 votes I don’t have an engagement ring 83 votes Mine is a family heirloom 48 votes
Total: 1498 votes
Protestant Wedding Prayer
Eternal God, our creator and redeemer, as you gladdened the wedding in Cana of Galilee by the presence of your Son, so by his presence now bring your joy to this wedding. Look in favour upon ____ and ____ and grant that they, rejoicing in all your gifts, may at lengths celebrate with Christ the marriage feast which has no end.
Catholic Wedding Prayer
Father, you have made the bond of marriage a holy mystery,
a symbol of Christ’s love for his Church.
Hear our prayers for ____ and ____.
With faith in you and in each other they pledge their love today.
May their lives always bear witness to the reality of that love.We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you and the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever. Amen.
Some couples choose to have a simple blessing to finish their wedding ceremony, and this can be printed in the order of service to be said by the congregation. Here is a popular Irish wedding prayer that can be used as a final blessing:
Irish Wedding Prayer
May the road rise to meet you
May the wind be always at your back
May the warm rays of sun fall upon your home
and may the hand of a friend always be near
May God be with you and bless you;
May you see your children’s children.
May you be poor in misfortune,
Rich in blessings.May you know nothing but happiness
From this day forward.
80% of Australian couples use Easy Weddings to connect with their dream wedding suppliers.
Browse the directory and start planning today!
From the rehearsal dinner, to the reception, finding the right wedding prayers can be stressful. Here is a collection of popular wedding blessings to help you come up with the right words for this special occasion.
There is nothing more beautiful than when two people are joined together in holy matrimony. Youll want to commemorate the occasion with the perfect wedding prayers.
The best blessing will call attention to the new couple and ask for their love and relationship to be protected and grow stronger in the years ahead.
For Healing and Renewal
May your home be filled with laughter
and the warm embrace of a summer day.
May you find peacefulness and beauty,
challenge, and satisfaction, humor and insight,
healing and renewal, love and wisdom, as in a quiet heart.
May you always feel that what you have is enough.
The following wedding prayers are from the book The Prophet. They are two of the more beautiful wedding blessings I have ever read. They may suit your needs.
You Were Born Together
You were born together, and together you shall be forevermore.
You shall be together when the white wings of death scatter your days.
Aye, you shall be together even in the silent memory of God.
But let there be spaces in your togetherness,
And let the winds of the heavens dance between you.
Love one another but make not a bond of love:
Let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.
Fill each other’s cup but drink not from one cup.
Give one another of your bread but eat not from the same loaf.
Sing and dance together and be joyous, but let each of you be alone,
Even as the strings of the lute are alone though they quiver
with the same music.
Give your hearts, but not into each other’s keeping.
For only the hands of Life can contain your hearts.
And stand together, yet not too near together:
For the pillars of the temple stand apart,
And the oak tree and the cypress grow not in each other’s shadow.
Love Has No Other Desire
Love has no other desire but to fulfil itself.
But if you love and must needs have desires,
let these be your desires:
To melt and be like a running brook
that sings its melody to the night.
To know the pain of too much tenderness.
To be wounded by your own understanding of love;
And to bleed willingly and joyfully.
To wake at dawn with a winged heart
and give thanks for another day of loving;
To rest at the noon hour and meditate Love’s ecstasy;
To return home at eventide with gratitude;
And then to sleep with a prayer for the beloved
in your heart and a song of praise upon your lips.
Love is Patient, Love is Blind
A popular wedding dinner prayer is Love is Blind. This poem describes in detail what love is, and what love isnt. It ends by saying, And now these three remain: Faith, Love, and Hope. But the greatest of these is Love.
Indeed. The same qualities that make a happy marriage, are the same qualities that make a healthy relationship with God.
Love is Patient
“Love is Patient
Love is patient, love is kind.
It does not envy, it does not boast,
it is not proud. It is not rude,
it is not self-seeking,
it is not easily angered,
it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil
but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts,
always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails.
And now these three remain:
faith, hope and love.
But the greatest of these is love”
This prayer is based off a popular bible verse. Read more Bible Verses about Love.
The Strength of Two
Two are better than one,
because they have a good return for their work:
If one falls down, his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!
Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm.
But how can one keep warm alone?
Though one may be overpowered,
two can defend themselves.
A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.
A Rhyming Wedding Dinner Prayer
What is a vow,
but an intention
spoken out before the world
so that the world, in hearing,
might take part
of the willing heart?
In our coming here today
to join and bless
the joy of your becoming wed,
may we enter in
the truth of the words you’ve said,
Maureen Tolman Flannery
Scripture For Wedding Readings
“So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them. And God blessed them. And God said to them, “Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth.”
Click here to read more Wedding Bible Verses
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Wedding Prayers and Blessings”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Marriage – Please pray for me I just heard that there are some hindrances to my marriage its been 11 years now im single and looking for …
- Request – Pray for my daughter as they are planning for marriage solemnization, that God will direct them in His way and protect and bless them as …
- Broken vows, shattered trust – I just discovered texts between my husband and another woman. I am distraught, but am using this as a wake up call to me. Instead …
- prayer for merrage – i ask for honesty and trust in my relationship and further I pray for marriage. And financial break through in JESUS MIGHTY NAME.
- Relationship – I pray God to bless my relationship with my boyfriend that he may lead me according to God s way and that his family to …
- Marriage – Please pray I will get married at the end of this year. Please pray God will bring the right Godly man into my life.
- God’s wedding for me to uses – God has me to not wed a man in the future after today and i is already wed and marriaged in my past history to …
- Saving my wife’s soul – Father God, I simply come to you firstly to thank you again today for saving me. Lord, I beg you and plead you to cut …
- Get married – Hi, Kindly pray for me so that I can find a loyal girlfriend and get married soon. Thanks
- best online help to et your ex lover back now without any delay – This is a true life experience with Doctor Ewan who helped me save my marriage by doing a pregnancy spell for me. My name is …
- Broken Engagemnet – Please pray for our Broken engagement. I believe impossible is nothing for God. Restore our relationship till our wedding.
- Financial Liberation – Lord , enlarge my financial status so DAT I can meet all my financial needs and guards my ways in eveeything i do. In Jesus …
- A car, spouse and baby – Am praying and trusting God for a car, a Honda Fit, also a spouse and a baby
- relationship problem – Please pray for me that my lover returns to me as he is reluctant to marry due to financial problems.And hence he is purposefully avoiding …
- marriage and protection – heaveanly father. you the lord that has never forsaken me, and even today m deeply hurt so many times and always date wrong guys . …
- Wedding Meal Prayer – God our Father, & Lord of all Creation:We gather here now to celebrate the love and commitment of (bride) & (groom), as they share their …
- The Best Irish Wedding Blessing – “May the road rise to meet you…” is probably the quintessential Irish wedding blessing. Life is a journey, and a wedding is the start of …
- A Wedding Dinner Prayer – A Wedding Dinner PrayerBy ” Father Dan WentzloffLord we thank you for our family gathered here today in celebration of this marriage and the love …
- Lord locate my life partner. – Lord, You said that it is not good for us to be alone. You made us for each other. But Lord, I find it so …
- Prayer for the Resotration of My Marriage – Dear Heavenly Father,please help me right now. I am so hurt my marriage is falling apart. my husband has been talking to a co worker …
- God locate me with a life partner – Lord, You said that it is not good for us to be alone. You made us for each other. But Lord, I find it so …
- Wedding Prayer: “ALL BECAUSE OF LOVE” – Father, I am truly blessed with my lifetime partner (my husband), which you led into my path. Being submissive isn’t a challenge but is a …
- Scottish Wedding Blessing – Scottish weddings are steeped in tradition. A traditional Scottish wedding blessing can be fun to say even at a modern Scottish ceremony. Though there are …
- The Apache Wedding Blessing – The Apache wedding blessing is one of the most popular wedding prayers for modern weddings. It is nondenominational, and became popular after appearing in the …
- Prayer for salvation and strength – What fertility means to me it means to you?spiritual poetry my salvation and strength.heal me from the inside out, deal with me as I go …
- I need I want prayer – What fertility means to me it means to you?spiritual poetry my salvation and strength.heal me from the negative to the posotive., deal with me as …
- l need a football contract to do my wedding – My name is Katsekpor, Everywhere i go shame and disgrace, hated. Football coach dont really like me and i can sing a football contract too, …