The Lord’s Prayer is a good opening prayer to say before meetings because everyone can take part. It can also be used as a model for other opening prayers, states lords-prayer-words.com.
Jesus taught the Lord’s Prayer as an example for His disciples to follow. It begins by acknowledging God’s presence and asks that His will would be done. Likewise, a prayer to open a meeting should begin focusing on God and asking for His guidance and direction.
Other contemporary prayers include “As We Gather Here” and “Opening Prayer for a Meeting.” These and other sample prayers are available at prayerscapes.com.
Here are 10 popular bedtime prayers to teach your children. Don’t use these prayers just to give your children something to say before going to bed. Help your children learn what these prayers mean and why we pray. Obviously, we can pray any time of the day, but having a set time where we teach our children to pray may help instill in them a lifetime habit of talking with the Lord.
I have attributed some of these prayers to their authors. If you know who the original author of the other prayers are, please include their names in the comments below. Or, if you know which book they originally appeared in, leave us a comment.
Don’t use these prayers just to give your children something to say before going to bed. Help your children learn what these prayers mean and why we pray.
- 1 Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep
- 2 Now the Light has Gone Away
- 3 The Day is Done
- 4 Forgive, O Lord
- 5 Jesus, Tender Shepherd
- 6 Our Father Who Art in Heaven
- 7 Lord, I have Passed Another Day
- 8 Father, We Thank Thee
- 9 Away in a Manger
- 10 Abide With Me
- 11 Simple Prayers To Say at Night
- 12 Simple Morning Prayers
- 13 Simple Christian Prayers
- 14 Short Prayer for Difficult Times
- 15 Prayer for Peace
- 16 Prayer for the Broken-Hearted
- 17 Prayer for Perseverance
- 18 Prayer for Self Control
- 19 Prayer for Your Children
- 20 Prayer for Loving Like Jesus
- 21 Prayer for God’s Direction
- 22 Prayer for When You Feel Unworthy
- 23 Prayer For Worry
- 24 Prayer for God’s Strength
- 25 Prayer for Control of Tongue
- 26 Prayer When Feeling Inadequate
- 27 Prayer for Being Grateful
- 28 Prayer of God’s Provision
- 29 Prayer for Growing Faith
- 30 Prayer for Confidence
- 31 Prayer for a Heavy Heart
- 32 Prayer for Hope and Trust
- 33 Short Prayer for Thankfulness
- 34 Prayer for Restored Relationships
- 35 Community Q&A
- 36 Tips
- 37 Article SummaryX
- 38 Short Prayers for Strength
- 39 Short Christian Prayers
- 40 A Short Prayer for Healing
- 41 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Short Prayers”
- 42 Recent prayer requests…
Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep
Some people may find this prayer a little too heavy for little children, however it is probably one of the best-known prayers that children say at night.
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep. If I should die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Now the Light has Gone Away
Now the light has gone away;
Savior, listen while I pray. Asking Thee to watch and keep And to send me quiet sleep.
Jesus, Savior, wash away
All that has been wrong to-day; Help me every day to be Good and gentle, more like Thee.
Let my near and dear ones be
Always near and dear to Thee. O bring me and all I love To Thy happy home above.
The Day is Done
The day is done;
O God the Son, Look down upon Thy little one!
O Light of Light,
Keep me this night, And shed round me Thy presence bright.
I need not fear
If Thou art near; Thou art my Savior Kind and dear.
Forgive, O Lord
Forgive, O Lord, for Thy dear Son
The ill that I this day have done. That with the world, myself, and Thee I, ere I sleep, at peace may be.
Jesus, Tender Shepherd
Jesus, tender Shepherd, hear me:
Bless Thy little child to-night; Through the darkness be Thou near me, Keep me safe till morning light.
All this day Thy hand has led me,
And I thank Thee for Thy care; Thou hast warmed me, clothed me, fed me; Listen to my evening prayer.
May my sins be all forgiven;
Bless the friends I love so well; Take me, Lord, at last to heaven. Happy there with Thee to dwell.
Our Father Who Art in Heaven
Our Father, Who art in Heaven
Hallowed be thy name Thy kingdom come Thy will be done on Earth as it is in Heaven Give us this day our daily bread And forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us And lead us not into temptation But deliver us from evil.
Lord, I have Passed Another Day
Lord, I have passed another day
And come to thank Thee for Thy care. Forgive my faults in work or play And listen to my evening prayer. Thy favor gives me daily bread And friends, who all my wants supply: And safely now I rest my head, Preserved and guarded by Thine eye.
Father, We Thank Thee
Father, we thank thee for the night,
And for the pleasant morning light; For rest and food and loving care, And all that makes the day so fair.
Help us to do the things we should,
To be to others kind and good; In all we do, in work or play, To grow more loving every day.
Rebecca Weston – 1890
Away in a Manger
Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
The little Lord Jesus laid down His sweet head. The stars in the sky looked down where He lay, The little Lord Jesus, asleep on the hay.
The cattle are lowing, the Baby awakes,
But little Lord Jesus, no crying He makes; I love Thee, Lord Jesus, look down from the sky And stay by my cradle till morning is nigh.
Be near me, Lord Jesus, I ask Thee to stay
Close by me forever, and love me, I pray; Bless all the dear children in Thy tender care, And fit us for Heaven to live with Thee there.
James Murry and John T. McFarland 1887
Abide With Me
Abide With Me is a song that was not written as a bedtime prayer, rather, as a farewell to this world. Henry F. Lyte was dying with tuberculosis in 1847. These beautiful words can be taught as a prayer full of great Bible teaching.
Abide with me; fast falls the eventide;
The darkness deepens; Lord with me abide. When other helpers fail and comforts flee, Help of the helpless, O abide with me.
Swift to its close ebbs out life’s little day;
Earth’s joys grow dim; its glories pass away; Change and decay in all around I see; O Thou who changest not, abide with me.
Not a brief glance I beg, a passing word;
But as Thou dwell’st with Thy disciples, Lord, Familiar, condescending, patient, free. Come not to sojourn, but abide with me.
Come not in terrors, as the King of kings,
But kind and good, with healing in Thy wings, Tears for all woes, a heart for every plea, Come, Friend of sinners, and thus bide with me.
Thou on my head in early youth didst smile;
And, though rebellious and perverse meanwhile, Thou hast not left me, oft as I left Thee, On to the close, O Lord, abide with me.
I need Thy presence every passing hour.
What but Thy grace can foil the tempter’s power? Who, like Thyself, my guide and stay can be? Through cloud and sunshine, Lord, abide with me.
I fear no foe, with Thee at hand to bless;
Ills have no weight, and tears no bitterness. Where is death’s sting? Where, grave, thy victory? I triumph still, if Thou abide with me.
Hold Thou Thy cross before my closing eyes;
Shine through the gloom and point me to the skies. Heaven’s morning breaks, and earth’s vain shadows flee; In life, in death, O Lord, abide with me.
Henry F. Lyte 1847
Do you have a favorite Bedtime prayer? Share it in the comments!
If you enjoyed this article, you might also like this one:
10 Powerful Prayers For Strength
Would you like to get the daily question in your FB messenger? Just click the button below to get started.
Share this post
: | | | |
Here is our collection of simple prayers. These are great prayers for children to memorize and say on a daily basis. There is no better way to start your day than with a simple christian prayer.
What makes a prayer simple? It certainly doesn’t mean that the prayer is not seen as valuable in God’s eyes.
Usually the prayer will be short, and often times it will rhyme as well. These characteristics help children, and those new to Christianity, learn how to pray. These prayers are perfect to teach to children to say on their own or as a group. These are great prayers to say in sunday school or in the class room.
Simple Prayers To Say at Night
This first prayer is a wonderful short prayer to say before bed. It is simple and easy to remember because it rhymes.
Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep
Now I lay me down to sleep;
I pray Thee, Lord, my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake.
I pray Thee, Lord, my soul to take;
And this I ask for Jesus’ sake.
Here is another rhyming prayer popular in Sunday schools and as a morning prayer or nightly prayer.
Jesus Lord I Pray to Thee
Jesus, Lord, to Thee I pray,
Guide and guard me through this day.
As the shepherd tends his sheep.
Lord, me safe from evil keep.
Keep my feet from every snare,
Keep me with Thy watchful care.
All my little wants supply
If I live or if I die.
And when life, O Lord, is past,
Take me to Thyself at last. Amen.
Simple Morning Prayers
Make a habit to say the prayers every morning before starting your day. Saying a prayer in the morning will help bring you closer to God, and give you strength and direction throughout your day.
Holy Jesus, Every Day
Holy Jesus, every day
Keep us in the narrow way,
And when earthly things are past,
Bring our ransomed souls at last
Where they need no star to guide.
Where no clouds Thy glory hide.
Now I awake and see the light
Now I awake and see the light;
Lord, Thou hast kept me through the night.
To Thee I lift my voice and pray
That Thou wilt keep me through the day.
If I should die before ’tis done,
O God, accept me through Thy Son!
Simple Christian Prayers
Here are a few more simple Christian prayers you might recognize. One way to help children memorize prayers is to put it to music. This next prayer is also a popular Christian hymn.
Praise God from Whom all Blessings Flow
Praise God, from whom all blessings flow;
Praise Him, all creatures here below;
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host:
Praise Father, Son, and Holy Ghost.
Lamb of God Prayer
Lamb of God, I look to Thee;
Thou shalt my example be;
Thou art gentle, meek, and mild,
Thou wast once a little child.
Fain I would be as Thou art:
Give me Thy obedient heart.
Thou art pitiful and kind:
Let me have Thy loving mind.
Loving Jesus, gentle Lamb,
In Thy gracious hands I am;
Make me, Savior, what Thou art,
Live Thyself within my heart.
I shall then show forth Thy praise,
Serve Thee all my happy days;
Then the world shall always see
Christ, the holy Child, in me.
Here is a nice short prayer for guidance:
Lamb of God Prayer
Direct me now, O gracious Lord,
To hear aright Thy holy Word;
Assist Thy minister to preach,
And let Thy Holy Spirit teach,
And let eternal life be found
By all who hear the joyful sound.
Ans a short prayer for healing
Tender Jesus Meek and Mild
Tender Jesus, meek and mild,
Look on me, a little child;
Help me, if it is Thy will,
To recover from all ill.
Prayer text does not always have to be prescribed by someone else. G‑d understands your language too. An appropriate prayer before a major exam would be something along the lines of, “G‑d, please help me pass this exam.” Perhaps you could elaborate on that and explain to G‑d why it means so much to you, or why it’s important for you to do well. It’s always good to get into the habit of praying to G‑d in a manner of talking to Him. You’ll begin to feel that you have a working relationship with Him, and you’re not just always reading a pre-prepared script at set times.
If you’d feel more comfortable having a standard prayer to go along with that, my suggestion would be Chapter 121 in Psalms. The theme of the psalm is the general assistance G‑d provides us, and our success being dependent on Him. It’s short and convenient. I’ve said it on a number of different occasions when I felt in need of some Divine assistance.
Wishing you lots of luck on your test,
Malkie Janowski for Chabad.org
Whether you have had a personal relationship with God for years or you are only beginning to discover who Jesus is, we all need guidance sometimes when it comes to prayers. It’s often hard to find the words to pray, that’s why we put together this collection of short prayers. The following short prayers offer guiding words to use for praying over various topics including worry, anxiety, doubt, forgiveness, fear, and other areas of life where we need to ask for God’s help. Please use these prayers and allow the Holy Spirit to guide you as you add some of your own words and personalize your petitions to God.
Short Prayer for Difficult Times
~ Jennifer O White
Prayer for Peace
Father God, my heart is filled with chaos and confusion. I feel as if I am drowning in my circumstances and my heart is filled with fear and confusion. I really need the strength and peace that only You can give. Right now, I choose to rest in You. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen. ~ Mary Southerland.
Prayer for the Broken-Hearted
Lord, my heart is broken but You are near. My spirit is crushed, but You are my rescuer. Your Word is my hope. It revives me and comforts me in especially now. My soul faints, but you are the breath of life within me. You are my help, the One who sustains me. I am weak but You are strong. You bless those who mourn, and I trust You to bless me and my family with all that we need. You will rescue me from this dark cloud of despair because You delight in me. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Jennifer White
Prayer for Perseverance
Holy Lord, Thank You for grace. Please help me move beyond the hurdles that trip me up and give me the strength and wisdom to look up and see the hope I run toward in Christ. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Gwen Smith
Prayer for Self Control
Father, today I ask forgiveness of all the negative and harmful words I have spoken about myself. I do not want to abuse myself in such a way again. Transform my thoughts and let me understand how marvelously you made me. Change my habits so I use my tongue to speak hope and favor upon my life. In Jesus’ name, Amen. ~ Sarah Coleman
Prayer for Your Children
~ Dr. Neil T. Anderson
Prayer for Loving Like Jesus
Father, I have to thank You for looking beyond my faults and for loving me unconditionally. Forgive me when I fail to love others in the same way. Give me eyes to see the needs of the difficult people in my life, and show me how to meet those needs in a way that pleases You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Mary Southerland
Prayer for God’s Direction
Lord, help me not to lean on my own understanding but in everything acknowledge You so that You can direct my words, thoughts and actions. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Sharon Glasgow
Prayer for When You Feel Unworthy
~ Renee Swope
Prayer For Worry
Father, I am tempted to worry about so many things. Our world is a mess! Forgive me for focusing on anything or anyone but You. Thank You for the Bible that equips and empowers me to live each day. Right now, I declare that You are my only Hope. Please help me remember that You really are in control. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Mary Southerland
Prayer for God’s Strength
Lord, thank you for your greatness. Thank you that when I am weak, you are strong. Lord, the Devil is scheming and I know he desires to keep me from spending time with you. Don’t let him win! Give me a measure of your strength so that I might not give into discouragement, deception and doubt! Help me honor you in all my ways. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Debbie Przybylski
Prayer for Control of Tongue
~ Debbie Przybylski
Prayer When Feeling Inadequate
Dear Lord, Thank You for fearfully and wonderfully creating each of us. Thank You for giving us worth in Your eyes. Help us live as the one You uniquely intended us to be. Help us abide instead of strive, living peacefully and joyfully as heirs to Your Kingdom and co-heirs with Christ. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Julie Sunne
Prayer for Being Grateful
Father, I am so sorry for the way I complain about my circumstances. Please forgive me for my bad attitude when things don’t go my way. I want to see Your hand in every part of every day – good or bad. Help me learn how to face every storm with confidence, knowing that You really are in control even though I cannot hear Your voice or see Your hand at work. In Jesus Name, Amen. ~ Mary Southerland
Prayer of God’s Provision
Dear Father God, Thank You for Your unfailing love for me, Your blessings, and goodness. Thank You for Your faithfulness to guide me and see me through times of uncertainty, for lifting me up, and setting me on high. Thank You for Scripture that comforts and reminds me of Your promises, plan, and provision. Thank you for taking away my fears and worries, the what-ifs, and reminding me that my help comes from You. Help me be a good steward and to sow wisely. In Christ’s Name, Amen. ~ Renee Davis
Prayer for Growing Faith
Dear Lord, help me – every single morning – to find faith in the midst of the chaos. Give me the desire and ability to see You, hear You, talk to You, and give thanks to You. And as I do, I pray that I will draw nearer and nearer to You, and that my faith will multiply exponentially as I understand in new, deeper ways that You are everything I ever hoped You would be. And so much more. Amen. ~ Kelly O’Dell Stanley
Prayer for Confidence
Lord, help me let go of my fear of failure. I know Satan wants to use my fears to hold me back from living boldly for You. Forgive me for not living in faith, and help me from this moment on to live with bold confidence in You. Lord, help me not compare myself to others around me. I pray instead that I can keep my eye on You and live a life that proclaims Your excellence. In Jesus’ Name I pray, Amen. ~ Rick Warren
Prayer for a Heavy Heart
Lord, I want to lay before you all that weighs heavy on my heart. Reveal even the sin I am not aware of, Lord. I lay these at your feet and pray your forgiveness on me. I believe you when you say that you wash us whiter than snow. Thank you Lord for your unending love for me! Help me start fresh right now to make choices that honor you. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Rick Warren
Prayer for Hope and Trust
Father, sometimes it does feel that you have left us in the battle. We know that you are with us, but so are our feelings of aloneness. The Enemy seems to be taking ground. Our crying out to you seems to go unanswered. We know you are at work, but help us trust you in the midst of our questions. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Ron Moore
Short Prayer for Thankfulness
God, sometimes life gets me down and I find it hard to see things to be thankful for. Open my eyes to see the gifts you’ve given me in my life. I’m going to start by thanking you for loving me enough to come to earth and die so we can live together forever. Amen. ~ Wendy van Eyck
Prayer for Restored Relationships
Father God, open my eyes to see the ways I’m like Cain. What conflicts am I allowing to brew in my family? What anger is bubbling into murderous rage in my relationships? Thank You for the clarity to see how hatred kills relationships. I choose instead the way of love. Love protects. Help me to protect those I love by loving them. Your way is always best, Father. I pray in Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ James MacDonald
Which one of these short prayers spoke the most to you and how can we be praying for you? Comment below and let us know!
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
Explore this Article Getting into the Right Mindset Praising God and Giving Thanks Making a Request and Closing the Prayer Article Summary Questions & Answers Related Articles
This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. Together, they cited information from
Content Management Team
carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article meets our high standards.
wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. This article has over 232,810 views, and 93% of readers who voted found it helpful. It also received 31 testimonials from readers, earning it our reader-approved status. Learn more…
In most religions, prayer is an important part of a person’s spiritual life. Even if you’re just learning how to pray, you can create a well-rounded prayer by praising God, thanking him for all he’s done for you, and asking him for help.
Part 1 Getting into the Right Mindset
- Find a quiet spot where you won’t be disturbed.
You can pray anywhere, and at any time, but if you want to take the time to really express what’s on your mind, it’s best to pray somewhere quiet, away from any distractions. You can even set aside a certain time of the day that you dedicate to prayer, like first thing in the morning, while you’re driving to work, or before you go to bed each night. During those times, turn off the TV or radio and mute your phone so you won’t be interrupted.
Note: Sometimes, you might choose to pray with other people. That’s perfectly fine, as long as they respect the act of prayer and take it seriously. In fact, praying with someone else can strengthen your relationship with that person and with God.
- Choose whether to pray out loud or in your head.
There’s no right answer; the choice really just depends on what you’re comfortable with. You might prefer to pray out loud to help keep you on track as you’re talking to God. On the other hand, if you want to pray privately and there are other people around, you might choose to pray in your head.
- However you choose to pray, know that God can hear you, whether it’s out loud, in your head, or when your heart is hurting so much you can’t even find words.
- Decide whether to kneel, sit, or stand.
For some people, kneeling to pray shows humility before God, and it helps to put them in the right frame of mind before they say a prayer. However, you may prefer to sit, stand, or even lie down when you’re praying.
Tip: If you want to kneel but it hurts your knees, place a folded blanket or towel on the floor.
- Write down your prayer if you have trouble staying focused.
By writing down the things you want to pray about, you can help keep your mind from wandering while you talk to God. Or, at the very least, it can help get you back on track when you lose your place.
- This is especially helpful if you have a lot on your mind. It can also help you narrow down what’s really important to you.
- Consider starting a prayer journal, where you write down your prayers in a notebook each day. When you look back through the journal, you’ll be amazed at the way God has worked in your life.
Part 2 Praising God and Giving Thanks
- Address God by name.
You might say, “Dear God,” “Our Heavenly Father,” “Jehovah,” or any other name you have for God. You can even pray to Jesus, if you like.
- Acknowledge God’s greatness.
If you have faith in God, you believe he is the creator of the world and all life on earth. Imagine the incredible power God must have to have created all of that! Then, think about that powerful being taking the time to listen to your problems and take an interest in your life.
Tip: You could say something like, “God, you are so mighty and strong!” or “Loving Father, you hold the world in your hands.”
- Thank God for his goodness and mercy.
God is merciful, loving, and generous. Take the time to include worship in every prayer. You could thank him for coming into your life, for all of the blessings he’s given you, and for answering your prayers.
Tip: For instance, you might say, “Thank you for forgiving us, even when we mess up. Thank you for my loving family, and thank you for allowing me to feel your presence in my life!”
- Pour out your feelings to God.
Remember, God already knows what’s on your mind, what has happened in your life, and everything you feel. Prayer isn’t about telling God these things, but about building a stronger relationship with God by communicating with him.
- This is similar to the way telling your parents “I love you” is about reinforcing the bond with them, rather than telling them something they don’t know.
- You might talk to God about something that hurt you, an upcoming event you’re feeling nervous about, or a Scripture you’re having trouble understanding. Just talk to him about whatever’s on your mind!
Part 3 Making a Request and Closing the Prayer
- Ask God to forgive you for your sins.
Before you ask God for anything else, you should ask for his forgiveness for your sins. Look into your heart and find the areas where you need to improve, then ask God to forgive you for falling short. Ask God to give you the strength to do better in the future.
- Sins don’t always have to be big things like stealing or lying; sometimes they might include being jealous of a coworker, being unkind to your sibling, or prioritizing material things over your relationship with God.
- Say something like, “God, I know I said I wouldn’t get so mad when a customer says something rude, but I have been struggling with that lately. Please forgive me for not keeping my temper, and help me find the strength to stay calm next time.”
- Tell God your troubles and ask for his help.
No matter what you’re going through, you should ask God for help. God wants us to seek him first in every situation. However, keep in mind that God knows what is best, and his answer might not always be what you had in mind.
- For example, if you’re struggling financially, praying “Please let me win the lottery” might not have the results you want. However, if you pray something like, “Please send me an opportunity to use my strengths and provide for my family,” you might be surprised what happens.
- On the other hand, God might have ordained that you don’t need a lot of money, so a better prayer might be, “Lord, help me be wise with my finances so I can make do with what I have.”
- You could also pray for your health, your relationships, guidance in a tough situation, or anything else you could possibly need.
- Pray for people around you who are struggling.
When you see a need in others, ask God for his help. It might be someone close to you, or it could be a group of people on the other side of the world who are suffering. Praying for others is an important way to strengthen your faith.
- For example, you might say something like, “God, my aunt is really ill, and it’s causing her so much pain. Please send her some comfort and peace, and let her feel your presence.”
- You could also say, “Lord, my heart is heavy for the people at war in the Middle East. It seems like such a huge problem that no one can fix it, but nothing is too big for you. Please bring peace to that region and to all of your children.”
- Ask God to help you understand his answer.
God speaks to us in ways that can be hard to spot, especially if you’re just beginning to build your spiritual relationship with him. Ask God to help you recognize the signs that he is answering your prayer.
When you pray, do so expecting that God will answer your prayer. Just don’t try to anticipate what God’s answer will be.
Thank God again, then close the prayer. It’s important to have a grateful heart while you’re praying, so opening and closing the prayer with thanks will help keep you in the right spirit. Thank God for listening, and for the good works you know he still has in store.
You can close the prayer however you wish, but most people end a prayer by saying, “Amen.”
Add New Question
How can I learn to be good at prayer?
All prayer is just having a conversation with God, asking him for what you need, be it a new coat, or just a closer relationship with Him. Pray about what’s on your mind and in your heart, what you truly need, and the Holy Spirit will guide you in the name of Jesus, Amen.
When will my prayer be answered?
Sometimes the answer will come immediately. Sometimes it will take a lot longer. God has a plan for you, but you have to be patient.
Is there a particular time of day we should pray?
Many people do so at the start or end of a day, but it doesn’t matter. God wants to hear you, and it doesn’t matter where you are or when you’re praying.
Do I have to end my prayer with “amen”?
You don’t have to, but if you don’t have an ending in mind, you can always just say, “In Jesus’ name I pray, amen.”
What should be my first sentence when I start praying?
Speak to God just like you would speak to a friend, so think about how you would start a conversation with someone you know.
What makes prayers go unanswered?
The answer you received may not necessarily be the answer you wanted. You should thank God, anyway.
How do you thank God using your hands?
I use my hands as a gesture of humility, which is palms together; of praise, with hands raised up; and of sacrifice, with the palms up.
I seem to say the same thing when I pray. Is this wrong?
No, you are allowed to say whatever you’d like when you pray. God is always listening.
How do I repent and receive godly sorrow?
You humble yourself and admit to any wrongdoing, and you confess and ask forgiveness genuinely.
What does God think of people who are not religious?
God sees everyone, religious or not, as His children and He loves all of them. One is not better for being religious, nor is one worse for not following religion.
Show more answers
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Try not to fall into the pattern of saying the same prayer every day. Instead, every time you pray, think about what God is doing in your life, what your needs are, and what you’re most grateful for.
To say a well-rounded prayer to God, start by addressing God and acknowledging his greatness, taking a moment to appreciate the fact that he’s willing to listen to your problems and take interest in your life. Then, thank God for his goodness and mercy, and share anything that’s on your mind, whether it’s an upcoming event, something that’s bothering you, or a question you have. You can also devote part of your prayer to asking God for forgiveness or praying for people you know. When you’re finished, thank God one more time and say “Amen.” To learn how to talk to God about your problems through prayer, scroll down.
Did this summary help you? Article Info
In other languages:
Español: hacer una oración a Dios bien hecha, Русский: правильно молиться Богу, Italiano: Fare una Bella Preghiera a Dio, Português: Fazer Uma Bela Oração a Deus, Français: faire une bonne prière à Dieu, Bahasa Indonesia: Merangkai Kalimat Menjadi Doa yang Baik, Deutsch: Ein harmonisches Gedicht zu Gott sprechen, Nederlands: Op de juiste manier bidden tot God, Türkçe: Kapsamlı Bir Dua Nasıl Yapılır
- Send fan mail to authors
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 232,810 times.
Did this article help you?
Welcome to our list of short prayers. We have sourced the best short Christian prayers on the most popular prayer topics. Prayers that are short are easy to memorize, and great for children to learn as an introduction to Christian prayer.
The nice thing about these prayers is that they are easy to teach to children. If you have ever tried to teach a bunch of Sunday School kids the Nicene Creed, you probably know what I’m talking about. Lets start off with some brief prayers for strength.
Short Prayers for Strength
Prayers for strength are great to say on a daily basis, either in the morning, or nightly before bed time.
Read more Prayers for Strength Here
Guide Me Lord
Guide me lord, you are my heart
you are my strength, you are my hope.
Teach me Lord, and guide my way
I love you more each passing day.
A Prayer for Being Grateful
Lord God, may we be grateful for our lot,
and compassionate toward all those who are
suffering every kind of distress at this
difficult time. May we hold back nothing, and
hasten to be the ministers of prayer and mercy,
like the disciples of Him who went about doing
good in times of need.
Hold my Hand in Weakness
Lord God, you are my strength.
Hold my hand in my weakness and
teach my heart to fly. With you,
there’s nothing to fear, nothing
to worry about. Hold me tight
in your embrace, so that I can
be stronger than the challenges
in my life. Amen.
Short Christian Prayers
Here are some great Christian prayers to memorize and say on a daily basis.
It is good to remember that with God, anything is possible. God gives us hope and guidance when we commit to prayer every day.
A Morning Prayer
Lord help me
is going to happen
to me today
that You and I
together can’t handle.
For this new morning with its light,
For rest and shelter of the night,
For health and food, for love and friends.
For everything Thy goodness sends,
We thank Thee, dearest Lord. Amen.
A Short Prayer to Jesus
May the grace of Christ, our Savior,
And the Father’s boundless love,
With the Holy Spirit’s favor,
Rest upon us from above.
Thus may we abide in union
With each other and the Lord
And possess, in sweet communion,
Joys which earth cannot afford.
A Short Prayer for Healing
Many of you have asked me to include as short healing prayer as well. This is a good place to start.
Read more Prayers for Healing Here
A Prayer for Healing
Heavenly Father, You are intimately aware
of the struggle I am experiencing —
the pain and the despair. You know
the desire of my heart to be healed
of this illness.
I ask now for Your
healing touch. I know that You are
able and that just like in Bible times,
You can heal me.
“When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Click here to read more Short Bible Verses
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Short Prayers”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- The Rosary Prayer- The Rosary Prayer refers to a form of invocation used in the Catholic Church and to the string of knots or beads used to count the component prayers. The… …
- St Anthony Prayer- According to Catholic tradition, prayers to Saint Anthony were to request his aid particularly in finding lost articles. St. Anthony was known as a great… …
- Prayers of the Faithful- Prayers of the Faithful Otherwise known as the Universal Prayer or General Intercessions, these prayers are introduced by the celebrating priest, then a deacon or… …
- Prayer to Saint Michael- Saint Michael the Archangel held an important heavenly role in doing battle against evil, protecting Christians against assault from the devil. The prayer to Saint… …
- A Prayer for Money Help, for Strength, to Heal a Relationship- 1-A Prayer for Money HelpI am in need of a financial blessingHeavenly Father, I Come before you today to ask for a financial blessing to… …
- Prayer for My Parent’s Failed Marriage- (Uganda) Dear St. Jude, please pray for the restoration of my parents marriage. Although they still live together under the same roof, my father who… …
- Prayer for my child- Dear God thank you for all the blessings and answered prayers that you have blessed my son and helped to heal him of his afflictions.… …
- Pray for love towards me and my dept- Pray please to relive me of my home I am selling.due to raising four children on my own I am now in dept.i thank God… …
- Prayer to sell my mom’s house- St. Joseph, please bless me with the quick, profitable sale of my mom’s house. I can no longer afford the repairs from the 3 floods… …
- Remove anything that hinders us from applying for and getting the perfect jobs for us and our community.- Please Father, my husbands’ employer has been sending him home, not paying him on a regular basis. He needs an alternative employment and is asking… …
- Prayer for continued employment and opportunity for husband to be a police officer- Dearest St. Jude please help us to find jobs in order to keep our home and support our family. We are in dyer need of… …
- Prayer for restoration of the blessings of Peace and Love to my Family- Dearest Lord,I believe in you, as you promised to us thru the covenant you made to Abraham, David and Jeremiah, to restore Your blessings of… …
- Praying for all those suffering from depression- Dear Lord Jesus; Please relieve those who suffer from depression and anxiety. Quiet our anxious minds. Please help us to understand that You are with… …
- Prayer To The Lord For Blessings For The Future- Dear Lord,I am about to embark on a new mission in life. Hopefully my ultimate battle is near and calling out loud. Give me the… …
- Healing of Nina’s heart and trust and reunite our love- Dear God, I ask that you bring strength in Nina’s and I souls and heart. I Ask you soften her heart to allow forgiveness and… …
- Prayer for mother battling cancer- Dear Friends,Thanks for all your support, wishes and prayers for my mother who is battling lung cancer since August 2013. My mother is a fighter… …
- Please heal my warriors- Please heal my warriors She& He they are both -golden fighter, llover of the under dawg, bringer of qwann, champion for justice, teacher, innovator, glass… …
- Husband Needs Healing Prayers- Father God,Nothing is impossible with you as I have received answers to prayers from this website twice recently. I thank thee and give thee praise… …
- bless me with your gracious help- Heavenly Father, I’m humbly asking for your guidance to help me in my school works, activities, exams and tasks that they want us to do.… …
- Please heal my relationship with my partner- Please take away the pain and hurt I feel in my heartIntervene in my relationshipBless my partner and I may we learn to truly love… …
More prayers posted in: Well Known