Find & Share Quotes with Friends
Quotes tagged as “surgery” Showing 1-30 of 51
“I didn’t expect to recover from my second operation but since I did, I consider that I’m living on borrowed time. Every day that dawns is a gift to me and I take it in that way. I accept it gratefully without looking beyond it. I completely forget my physical suffering and all the unpleasantness of my present condition and I think only of the joy of seeing the sun rise once more and of being able to work a little bit, even under difficult conditions.”
― Henri Matisse
“I sew his ears on from time to time, sure.”
Patrick O’Brian, Post Captain
“Surgeons can cut out everything except cause.”
― Herbert M. Shelton
“Surgery was the most difficult thing I could imagine.
And so I became a surgeon.”
Abraham Verghese, Cutting for Stone
“Whenever they are condemning weaves or breast implants, some people speak so passionately that their false teeth almost fall out.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
“Scars are simply modern battle wounds. Sometimes the enemy happens to be inside us.”
― Andrew Grey
“I used to think how dangerous the world would have been if these ants were the size of dogs. They would have cut the humans in two halves just by a single strike of their flippers.”
Abhishek Leela Pandey, The Man with Five Heads
“Do I shock you? We are very playful here. It’s a good tone for an operating theater. It is a theater, after all.”
David Cronenberg, Consumed
“He walked across the room and flicked a switch. A spotlight turned on, illuminating a laminated poster of a woman on his wall. He took a crayon from his pocket and began drawing on it. I could see smudges from past demonstrations. His dashed lines crisscrossed the woman’s chest as if he were planning a military maneuver on undulating terrain.”
Kim van Alkemade, Orphan Number Eight
“My luminaries!” he sang out. “I am thrilled to have you here. I have been rereading both your works in preparation for our glorious collaboration.”
“You will forgive my enthusiasm and my presumption. But you must accept that what we are here today to do with each other cannot be subsumed under the mantle of medical procedure alone. For me to put the scalpel into your hand, my dearest Monsieur Arosteguy, is basically a crime, you understand. Though I fully comprehend the emotional ownership of the breast involved with the husband and the wife. In the light of that ownership, the alien surgeon is an intruder, a rapist, a violator. Why should he be allowed to sever that most beautiful organ from that beloved body? Who the fuck is he anyway? No, only the husband should have the right to do that intimate severing with all its resonances of personal history. And so on. But legally it’s a crime. So what’s the solution in our heads? In my head, the solution is that we are not committing surgery, but are creating an art/philosophy / crime/ surgery project. The three of us. A collective. The Arosteguy Collective Project. Do you agree?”
Celestine and I glanced at each other and could see that we were immediately in sync. We were overwhelmed, horrified, and also delighted.”
David Cronenberg, Consumed
“And, for the first few months after her surgeries, Holly had felt, horribly, as if she’d been turned into a machine, an unkillable robot. She had terrible dreams in which she was searching for her body parts on shelves lined with thousands of other body parts, floating in thousands of jars. In the dreams, Holly was convinced that her soul had been located in one of those body parts, and now her soul was trapped for eternity in formaldehyde and glass.”
Laura Kasischke, Mind of Winter
“Socal dental Care famous for oral health care services in North Hollywood, ca who successfully handle many projects on Oral health.”
― Socal Dental Care
“Lasik Eye Surgery Boston can help cut down your search time by doing the research for you. Browse through our list of the Greater Boston Areas best LASIK providers, read reviews, and contact them directly.”
“Remove your obesity and get younger look in a snap with Houston tummy tuck at a nominal price with advanced methods.”
― Avante Plastic Surgery
“To her despair was added a philosophical dejection, the feeling of every thinker who, venturing an inquisitive finger beneath the velvet of a throne, comes upon the coarse pinewood . . . And then it was she fell victim to a still more painful disquiet. The dead man they had just carted off, like a lump of matter no longer of any use, made it hideously plain how closely hospitals resemble factories. Under the scalpel, living flesh is treated there like wood under the plane or steel under the rolling-mill.”
Maurice Renard, The Hands Of Orlac
“Common sense is like a fresh, simplistic, non-prejudiced analysis of a problem that was otherwise considered complicated.”
Alberto Peña, Monologues of a Pediatric Surgeon
“His chief delights were of a less public and philanthropic kind, requiring many explanations of sounds which seemed peculiar even amidst that babel of the damned. Among these sounds were frequent revolver-shots—surely not uncommon on a battlefield, but distinctly uncommon in an hospital. Dr. West’s reanimated specimens were not meant for long existence or a large audience.”
H.P. Lovecraft, Herbert West: Reanimator
“His most famous (and possibly apocryphal) mishap involved an operation during which he worked so rapidly that he took off three of his assistant’s fingers and, while switching blades, slashed a spectator’s coat. Both the assistant and the patient died later of gangrene, and the unfortunate bystander expired on the spot from fright. It is the only surgery in history said to have had a 300 percent fatality rate.”
― Lindsey Fitzharris
“After tomorrow, I’ll see a different face staring back at me from the mirror – at first, a swollen face, but then one with a smaller jaw and a straighter smile. This is what I’ve wanted for years, but standing on the edge of all this change, I feel like I want to pause time and remember exactly what if feels like to be here now – in the before.”
Kerry Winfrey, Things Jolie Needs to Do Before She Bites It
“You go in through the front door of the hospital and depending on how successful your treatment is determines whether you leave through the front door or in a box out of the back door.”
― Steven Magee
“Kirurgjia është e rëndë.”
― Ass.dr. Skender Shabani dr.sci.
“Medication, surgery, and radiation are the weapons with which conventional medicine foolishly shoots the messengers called symptoms.”
― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
“Deitado no fundo do vagão, com as peças a meu lado debaixo do oleado, sentia-me molhado, frio e tinha muita fome. Por fim voltei-me de barriga para baixo e repousei a cabeça nos braços. O joelho doía-me, mas tinha-se portado muito bem. Valentini fizera um belo trabalho. Eu tinha feito metade da retirada a pé, e percorra a nado uma parte do Tagliamento com o joelho dele. Era realmente o joelho dele. O outro é que era meu. Os médicos faziam.nos coisas depois das quais o corpo deixava de ser nosso.
O Adeus Às Armas, Ernest Hemingway”
Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
“A good doctor should not avoid performing surgery or prescribing a bitter pill if it is in the interest of the patient. Similarly, a wise person must not avoid taking unpleasant and difficult decisions, if they are in the interest of the people and the organisation.”
Awdhesh Singh, 31 Ways to Happiness
Below you will find our collection of inspirational, wise, and humorous old surgeon quotes, surgeon sayings, and surgeon proverbs, collected over the years from a variety of sources.
Surgeons must be very careful when they take the knife! Underneath their fine incisions stirs the Culprit – Life!
Surgeons can cut out everything except cause.
As a surgeon you have to have a controlled arrogance. If it’s uncontrolled, you kill people, but you have to be pretty arrogant to saw through a person’s chest, take out their heart and believe you can fix it. Then, when you succeed and the patient survives, you pray, because it’s only by the grace of God that you get there.
It is the surgeon’s duty to tranquillize the temper, to beget cheerfulness, and to impart confidence of recovery.
Every surgeon carries within himself a small cemetery, where from time to time he goes to pray.
The surgeon may harden himself whilst performing an operation, for he knows that he is acting for the good of his patient; but if we were intentionally to neglect the weak and helpless, it could only be for a contingent benefit, with an overwhelming present evil.
A surgeon is surrounded by people who are sick, discouraged, afraid, embittered, dying – but also courageous, loving, wise, compassionate and alive.
Surgeon: A man who’s always out for his cut.
A good surgeon doesn’t just concentrate on technical ability, but also on the appropriateness of what you’re doing.
A good surgeon operates with his hand, not with his heart.
The surgeon should not love difficult cases and should not allow himself to be tempted to undertake those that are desperate. He should help the poor as far as he can, but he should not hesitate to ask for good fees from the rich.
A surgeon should give as little pain as possible while he is treating the patient, and no pain at all when he charges his fee.
The surgeon is a man of action. By temperament and by training he prefers to serve the sick by operating on them, and he inwardly commiserates with a patient so unfortunate as to have a disease not suited to surgical treatment. Young surgeons, busy mastering the technicalities of the art, are particularly alert to seize every legitimate opportunity to practice technical maneuvers, the more complicated the better.
The surgeon knows all the parts of the brain but he does not know his patient’s dreams.
To be great, a surgeon must have a fierce determination to be the leader in his field. He must have a driving ego, a hunger beyond money. He must have a passion for perfectionism. He is like the actor who wants his name in lights.
Bible verses for surgery
Having gone into surgery twice I know it can be a scary time not only for you, but for your family as well. Rest assure that God is in control of the situation. Keep your mind on Christ and your mind will be at peace.
Before surgery, look over these Scriptures to give you comfort and draw near to the Lord in prayer.
Tell the Lord all that is on your mind. Leave it all in God’s hands. Ask the Holy Spirit to comfort you. Trust that you are secure in our omnipotent God.
- “Let your faith be bigger than your fears.”
- “Nothing can shake those who are secure in god’s hands.”
- “The perfect cure for worry is trust in god.”
1. 2 Timothy 1:7 for God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.
2. Isaiah 41:10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you! Don’t be frightened, for I am your God! I strengthen you–yes, I help you–yes, I uphold you with my saving right hand!
3. Deuteronomy 31:8 The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged.
4. Psalm 23:3-4 He renews my strength. He guides me along right paths, bringing honor to his name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
Put it into God’s hands
5. 2 Corinthians 1:9 We felt we were doomed to die and saw how powerless we were to help ourselves; but that was good, for then we put everything into the hands of God, who alone could save us, for he can even raise the dead.
6. Psalm 138:8 The LORD will vindicate me; your love, LORD, endures forever– do not abandon the works of your hands.
What does the Bible say?
7. Exodus 14:14 The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.
8. Isaiah 40:29 He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.
9. Psalm 147:3 He healeth the broken in heart, and bindeth up their wounds.
10. Psalm 91:14-15 “Because he has loved Me, therefore I will deliver him; I will set him securely on high, because he has known My name. “He will call upon Me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble; I will rescue him and honor him.
Prayer before surgery
11. Philippians 4:6-7 Don’t worry about anything, but in everything, through prayer and petition with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses every thought, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
12. 1 Peter 5:7 Turn all your anxiety over to God because he cares for you.
13. Isaiah 55:6 Seek the LORD while you can find him. Call on him now while he is near.
14. Psalm 50:15 Call on me in times of trouble. I will rescue you, and you will honor me.
15. Isaiah 26:3 You will keep in perfect peace all who trust in you, all whose thoughts are fixed on you!
16. Isaiah 12:2 Surely God is my salvation; I will trust and not be afraid. The LORD, the LORD himself, is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.
17. Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust the Lord with all your heart, and do not rely on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths smooth.
18. Psalm 9:10 Those who know your name trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you.
19. Psalm 71:5 For You are my hope; O Lord GOD, You are my confidence from my youth.
20. Jeremiah 30:17 But I will restore you to health and heal your wounds, declares the LORD, because you are called an outcast, Zion for whom no one cares.
21. 2 Corinthians 4:17 For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison.
22. Psalm 91:11 For he will order his angels to protect you wherever you go.
23. Romans 8:28 And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.
24. 1 Peter 2:24 “He himself bore our sins” in his body on the cross, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; “by his wounds you have been healed.”
25. Mark 5:34 And he said to her, “Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace. Your suffering is over.”
Psalm 121:3 He will not let your foot be moved; he who keeps you will not slumber.