It’s that time of year again. Depending on when your children promote to their new classes (I’ve heard of promotion occuring anywhere between June and September) your church is likely winding the current Sunday school year down. Your teachers are starting to reflect on the year that was – all of the good times, the hard times, and the crazy times with children that they get to see, teach, and know once a week every week for one full year.
Chances also are that you have quite a few volunteers who serve as lead or assitant teachers. What do you do to appreciate them? The end of the year is a natural time to show your teachers that you do, indeed, appreciate all of the hard work, planning, and time commitment that they have put in to this Sunday school year. If you are a children’s minister of director, what do you do about that?
Sunday School teacher appreciation is important!Here are just a few ideas that can work together and/or separate. Whatever you do for your teachers to show them appreciation, please, do something!
Ideas for Apprecating your Sunday School Teachers
1. Give a free appreciation lunch – Serving a free lunch is a simple and effective way to let your teachers know that you care. Some churches have the luxury of having a kitchen and/or a chef that can prepare food. Other churches may be so small that the children’s minister or director may just have to go pick up a bucket of chicken. Whatever your situation, there is no excuse for not being able to serve your teachers one free lunch a year. Whether your ministry area or yourself incurs the cost, it is a cost that will be well worth it to plan a simple Sunday School appreciation day.
2. Acknowledge each one your teachers publicly – Whatever forum you choose, whether it be a lunch, banquet, or meeting, take time to publicly acknowledge every one of your teachers. Have them stand next to you, put your arm around them and give one or two reasons to the rest of the people in the room what makes that teacher so special.
3. Give your teachers a gift – And give them one that they will actually use. In the past, our church used to give our teachers little “Jesus junk trinkets.” You know the ones I’m talking about: the little pens, coffee mugs, or “holy” book lights that have Bible verses on them. While these are nice thoughts, most teachers really don’t need these type of gifts, nor will they use them. Last year our church gave each teacher a $5 gift card from Chick-Fil-A. They loved it! Try to think outside of the box when it comes to gifts for Sunday School teacher appreciation
4. During a meeting, give them a charge – Tell them how integral they are to your ministry and give them a vision for the next year. “Where there is no vision, the people perish.” If you are the leader, think about where you want the ministry to be next year and what you’d like to focus on and announce that to your teachers. This will energize them for the new year.
Most teachers don’t expect much when it comes to apprecation. Many are teaching Sunday School because they feel called. They are willing to serve with little recognition or appreciation. They are volunteers. But by doing just a few simple acts of appreciation, you’ll energize your volunteer base and perhaps endear them to your leadership. Don’t forget, if you are the leader of your ministry, you are also the lead servant. Take time to serve those who serve your ministry by appreciating them publicly.
What about you? What are some ideas that you’ve tried that work for Sunday School teacher appreciation?
October is Clergy Appreciation Month; it is also perfect time to show our appreciation and recognition to Sunday School Teachers.
Sunday School teacher is always play vital role in child’s spiritual growth. Sunday School teacher help persons of all ages learn God’s Word and how to apply it to their lives. Sunday school teacher help people learn what the Bible says.
Our sincere gratitude and recognition is important for every Sunday School teacher while a teacher faces unrealistic expectations or verbal discouragement from the very people he is serving.
Thessalonians 5:12- 13 says:” And now, friends, we ask you to honor those leaders who work so hard for you, who have been given the responsibility of urging and guiding you along in your obedience. Overwhelm them with appreciation and love”
Appreciation gifts are appropriate way to express our respect and care to Sunday school teachers. There are many different thank you gifts available this season, the most popular gifts being engraved personalized items, including engraved jewelry, plaque, artwork etc.
- Your teacher may well be overwhelmed by the stunning beauty of the crystal as well as moved by the sincere appreciation wording on the plaque. A crystal plaque is a perfect way to acknowledge their loyalty and contribution to church and God. After the retiree receives the plaque, he may well put it on his desk or grace the wall at home or in his/her office.
- A special Sunday school teacher appreciation love offering can also be part of your Teacher Appreciation Week. Following your teacher appreciation event during Clergy Appreciation Month, you may wish to have a fellowship dinner of thanks for your pastoral family or if not held on Sabbath.
- It would be a great encouragement for teachers in your conference if you sent appreciation letter. A teacher appreciation message can be given by selected people paying tribute to your teacher and teacher’s family.
- Pray for teachers is also thoughtful thank you idea, in Sunday School ministry, no real results are made apart from prayer. Pray for wisdom and direction for your educational programs in general. Customize a Sunday School teacher prayer plaque according to the specific requests from your teacher is wonderful.
- A Framed picture of Christ or a set of Scriptures can be a great gift to give a Sunday school teacher, other teachers may appreciate many devotional books. Actually, anything is ok if they are from your heart, your personalized Sunday school teacher appreciation love offering can also be part of your teacher appreciation festivities.
- Lord, please. . .
- Fill me with Your Spirit and power to enable me to lead each of my students to Jesus Christ. Acts 4:31
- Convict my students’ hearts of sin and call them to repentance and salvation. John 16:8
- Show any sin in my heart which would hinder the Holy Spirit from using me. Psalm 66:18
- Prepare my students to be laborers of the harvest one day. Luke 10:2
- Give my students the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of You. Eph. 1:17
- Allow the eyes of their hearts to be enlightened. Eph. 1:18
- Strengthen each student and teacher with power through Your Spirit. Eph. 3:16
- Root and ground each of my students in love and respect. Eph. 3:17
- Help each of my students to have humility, gentleness, patience and show tolerance for one another in love. Eph. 4:2
- Don’t allow anyone to deceive them with empty words and help them to stand firm when confronted with evil. Eph. 5:6
In Jesus Name, Amen
For a free printable pdf of this prayer click here: 10 Prayers for Sunday School Teachers or click on the jpg
You can add this to your Family Photo Prayer Journal. To learn how to make a prayer journal, click here: Make a Family Photo Prayer Journal.