When all else fails…pray the gospel. One morning, I was called by a nurse at a local hospital requesting my immediate presence. The non-Christian spouse of one of our members was moments away from dying. I had no idea what awaited me when I arrived. I walked into a room full of family with this heartbroken husband motioning me over to his wife’s bed. He was also suffering from some medical problems that resulted in a tracheotomy preventing him from speaking. However, it did not take me long to see why I had been summoned. He was asking me to pray over his wife as the doctor removed the ventilator. Twenty minutes ago, I had been in my office neck deep in my studies. Now, I found myself being asked to pray a final prayer over a dying, non-Christian woman in front of her husband and fifteen to twenty non-Christian family members hanging onto some miracle with my prayer. I literally had a few seconds to decide what to do and how to pray.
I decided to pray the gospel for this dying woman, her husband, and this room full of non-Christian family. I did not pray for God to spare her. I did not pray that God would heal her. I did not pray some manipulating request that God would receive her (which is what I think they expected me to pray). I prayed that the gospel was her only hope in such a way that God could let every person in that room know it was their only hope also. Praying the gospel does not have to be complicated, just simple and faithful.
God taught me an invaluable lesson that day in the hospital room that has had a profound impact on me and my ministry. When the gospel is prayed, the gospel is heard. When I prayed the gospel in the room that day, it was for this dying woman moments from facing judgment, her Christian husband, and her lost family members to hear. If we truly believe that faith comes by hearing (Rom. 10:17), we should never leave a hospital room, nursing home, rehabilitation center, or home of a sick person (or healthy person for that matter) without praying the hope of God in Christ.
When you visit, it is ideal in the midst of attempting spiritual conversation to speak about God’s righteousness, man’s sinfulness, and Christ’s dying on the cross in our place for our sins. However, many circumstances can make that difficult. But nothing prevents us from praying the gospel. It is God alone through his Holy Spirit who transforms the darkest heart. Whether through prayer or proclamation, we should see every visit as a divine appointment to make the saving power of the gospel known.
by Sharon (Arizona)
Please pray for this precious little girl.
Please Lord we ask that you heal Hope, that you come into her and take away illness, pain, or any fears associated with her cancer.
Lord we beg you to spare this child any suffering. Please Lord guide this family let them feel your amazing power and grace, bestow upon them the love, faith and guidance they will need to conquer these trials, we praise you Lord.
In Jesus name Amen
Thank you everyone who prays this prayer!
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer For a Sick Child”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Health Issues – Please bless my four leg daughter (Cat) Shandy with good health and happiness forever. She’s finding herself lonely.
- Sick child – Please pray for my son Uzor who is suffering from mental illness and he is in the hospital.
- Prayer for pain – I ask for prayers for my daughter she has chest pain. Thank you
- Restore my good health – The perfection of God is expressed through me. The idea of perfect health is now filling my subconscious mind. The image God has of me …
- Restore health – Pray for Nellie that her health is restored in JESUS name this my mom who helped her mom my dad her sister now need the …
- Heal my precious young son – Hello, I ask to anyone that can find it in their heart to pray for the healing and health of my precious 9year old son. …
- Prayer for my sick son – As my 11 month old son Rushat is suffering with the severe pneumonia and he is in icu from last 15 days kindly requesting you …
- Healing – In the name of jesus ..please heal Abbas from Cancer.
- Prayer for healing – Please Lord touch my children that are struggling with illness, strife , and addiction . Touch and heal my oldest son who has battled years …
- Prayers for SK – Please send prayers for my great grandson Sawyer who was born early because his mother was addicted and died yesterday. He is very critical with …
- Prayers for our Soldier – Heavenly Father Please pray for our daughter Sarah that she be healed of this awful, 2nd round of Brain Cancer that has stopped her in …
- Prayers for our baby girl – We are asking for prayers for our one-month old baby girl Jo. She has been diagnosed with RSV and we are currently at a pediatric …
- My niece – My sister had a surgery recently and after the recovery she was released to go home as soon as my sister got home she called …
- Prayer for my son – I am requesting prayer for my son Jack Schneider as we are headed to the ER in order for him to submit & get help …
- Prayer for healing – Father God heal my child
- Please help me to protect my babies from illnesses – Please be cure my darling daughter from fever and protect my 4day old baby from that. I am so much confused. Please help us god.
- Prayer for Clarissa – Dear Lord, You are the greatest healer and I give you praise. I place my 8 months old niece, ( Clarissa ) who is undergoing …
- Heal my child – Father god please heal my child Kimora who suffers from cerebral palsy please heal her brain and take away her seizures please keep her healthy …
- Total healing for my son – I pray and ask Heavenly God to heal my son of perinatal asphyxia and to allow my son have stability health wise. So that he …
- Holly – Dear God, please help Holly find her inner self. Help to find her strength to life a whole complete life knowing You have great plans …
- Heal my son from schizophrenia – I pray that God the Father, Jesus His Son and the Holy Spirit will heal my son Charles. I pray for intercessory prayer by the …
- Prayer for Olona – Heavenly Father, I present Olona to You who has just been admitted to hospital. Lord we know that you love children, please spare her from …
- Health – I pray that my son Dante who has down syndrome will be strong and break norms of the society about disability. He must be god’s …
- Health prayer – Please pray for my grandson who is only 2 and has pneumonia. He also has asthma, a heart murmur and a rare blood disorder.
- Get well daughter – Dear God and blessed Mother Mary, please be with my Jillie. Please she is only 24 and and needs to make a Complete recovery from …
- Prayers for Penny – Penny goes into surgery on 3.7.18 for a mass biopsy and removal. Please send prayers for a safe surgery and positive outcome. Thank you all
- Healing – Kindly please pray for my niece nia Greene who is having severe belly pain right now she is hospitalized and receiving Iv treatment.praying for it …
- Healing – Please pray for my daughter Stevey Lynn (11 years old) she has been feeling tired, and the other day she blacked out with shortness of …
- Prayer for sons health – Please pray for my son. He has blood clots in leg and lung. He has a blood clotting factor. Pray that the doctor gets him …
- J’Ziah Healing Prayer – Father God, I pray for J’Ziah as he deals with this virus, fever, or flu like cold. I know You are the Master Healer for …
- Pleurisy – My son Ricky has been suffering with pleurisy for about 12 to 14 years. He ends up in the hospital almost every year. The pain …
- For my baby – My baby will delivery next month..But scan report baby have congenital diaphragmatic hernia..After delivery need surgery..till now I don’t have money…This surgery it will take …
- Healing – My teenager was hit in the head today playing football and went unconscious for a few seconds, he has a concussion but is doing well …
- Paw Paw Clarence Jr. and MAWMAW Eve – Dear God, Teach me to be gracious through whatever situations arise. I may not receive piles of money, but I will be dignified. I am …
- My daughter – My daughter has been diagnosed with a very painful disease. She is about to lose her mind in pain. Other than surgery with no guarantee …
- Pray for my nephew – Please for my nephew he has a fever and I pray that it goes away Jesus I ask humbly that you touch his body and …
- Fast recovery – Pls pray for Luke to recover for all he has gone heal his lungs
- Prayers for frail new born – Please pray for my great niece who was born too early (at 24 weeks) and is having a hard time beating the odds against her. …
- Prayer for Maya – Please pray for my Grand daughter Maya who is in the hospital suffering through some awful procedures. Thank you. God Bless.
- Prayer for Maya – Please pray for my Grand daughter Maya who is in the hospital suffering through some awful procedures. Thank you. God Bless.
- Son taken to er, – Dear Father in Heaven, My Son is at the er, Please find out what he what is making light headed, stumbling on his feet, and …
- Daughter – Dear lord, Please heal my 7 month old baby who was hospitalize a week ago due to 3 viruses. The thoughtnof seeing her with tubes …
Caring for different people every single day can take a toll on nurses. This goes particularly true with nurses working on the pediatric ward. Since patients in this area are more vulnerable to stress, pain and discomfort, it’s not enough for nurses to concentrate on their physical needs. Sending out prayers can help, too because inevitably, it’s so easy for these small people to capture our hearts again and again.
Below are some of the most powerful prayers for a sick child.
Prayer For A Sick Child In The Hospital
You’re with us.
Though you are not seen,
We know that you stay by our side.
You love us,
More than we could know,
And you feel each tear that we cry.
We trust you,
To take hold of our hands,
Until we’re recovered and well.
You promise to,
Comfort and care,
Until we are laughing and playing again.
Thank you Jesus.
Prayer To Restore A Sick Child’s Health
O Lord God, I come to You for help and succor.
You have afflicted my child .
Help me to understand that You mean well.
Give me grace to bear my child’s affliction with patience and strength.
Bless me, O Father, and restore my child to health.
Do not forsake us, but give us an assurance of Your loving Kingdom.
Bless this illness to me and my child , and help us both to be better children of Yours because of it.
In the name of Your Holy Son Jesus Christ. Amen!
Prayer To St. Nicholas For A Sick Child
Saint Nicholas, who like the Savior,
loved children so tenderly and gave generously to those in need,
listen to us who plead for this sick child
who is so dear to our hearts.
We thank God for the great gift of our child
and we pray that He relieve this child of pain
and free him/her from suffering.
Obtain strength when he/she is weary,
hope when discouraged,
and joy when downhearted.
May the Lord, through your intercession,
restore perfect health if such be His divine will.
These favors, we beg of you through your love for all children.
Prayer For A Sick Child Through St. Gerard
St. Gerard, who, like the Savior, loved children so tenderly and by your prayers freed many from disease and even death, listen to us who are pleading for our sick child. We thank God for the great gift of our son/daughter and ask Him to restore our child to health if such be His holy will. This favour, we beg of you through your love for all children and mothers.
Short Prayer for A Sick Child
Heavenly Father, watch over our child, and grant that he may be restored to that perfect health which it is yours alone to give; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Prayer For A Sick Child With Chronic Illness
Dear God, I pray for (child’s name) as he/she deals with this (specific illness) so often. I know You are the Master Healer and that You also provide times that are symptom-free for this dear little one. Please comfort and protect this dear child during this hard time. Help them to know that they can come to You for the peace and health that only You can provide. Please be with the doctors as they continually study to find medicines and treatments that will comfort those that suffer from chronic illnesses. I leave this in Your precious hands oh God my Father. Amen
See Also: 9 Powerful Healing Prayers for Cancer Patients
Prayer For A Sick Child With Threatening Illness
Lord I come to You today to present (child’s name) to You. This very deadly sickness that is upon him/her is very sad to all who know and love him/her. I know that in times like this his/her Mommy and Daddy are in despair. Please keep them strong in You so that they can be a comfort to this dear little child. Please keep (child’s name) from being scared of what is happening all around him/her. I ask Your mercy so that pain would be minimal or nonexistence. I love this small and fragile little child. Bestow Your grace and peace to them and all who love them. I pray this in Jesus name, Amen.
Prayer To Bring Healing To A Child
Lord, you love our child as You love all children, Bring healing to our child who is not well. Stay by his side and comfort him through this trying time. Keep us ever mindful of Your loving presence Bless us with Your powerful healing and comfort us also. Thank You for hearing our prayer!
See Also: 20 Short But Effective Prayers for Surgery
Before we go to sleep tonight, let’s offer a heartfelt prayer for a sick child somewhere out there.
♥ Connect with NurseBuff on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!
Answered by Ustadh Tabraze Azam
Question: After surgery, a relative can barely move, doesn’t have his balance, lost his hearing in one ear, and cannot speak properly because of loss of muscle control in his face. While he is in the hospital, they are having him urinate into a bottle, and he cannot take a bath. What is the ruling on his 5 daily prayers? Can he perform them without the full movements and facing Qiblah? Does he have to make up prayers that he could not properly complete? Also, can he pray even though he is not in a state of Wudu? Some of the medication is so strong, I would think it might fall into a category of being intoxicated (e.g. morphine). Can he pray in that state?
Answer: Wa alaikum assalam wa rahmatullahi wa barakatuh,
I pray that you are well, insha’Allah.
May Allah give him a full, quick recovery, insha’Allah.
Intoxication and the Prayer
If he is intoxicated such that he is speaking irrationally or if walking he would sway (due to high dosage and the effect of it), it would not be valid to pray.
If he cannot perform the ablution (wudu), he should perform the dry ablution (tayammum). The dry ablution (tayammum) can be performed with a small stone. No dust is required. Please see:
Performing Tayammum if Paralyzed
If he is unable to do this, he can pray without doing either (wudu or tayammum). Though, in such a case, he would simply perform the motions of the prayer (without the recitations) due to the inviolability of the prayer and its time. This is very easy and could be done in less than a minute.
Facing the Qibla
If he cannot face the qibla himself, then the responsibility of this would too be lifted. However, if it is reasonably possible for him to ask someone to turn him towards the qibla, that would be optimal, though not necessary.
If he can pray with head movements — by moving the head slightly for the bowing (ruku’) and slightly more for the prostration (sujud) — it would be obligatory to do so. When lying on the back, this is generally facilitated by having the head propped up with a cushion or the like.
If he cannot pray with such head movements, the prayer will not obligatory upon him, nor will he have to make up the prayers (if they exceed five prayers).
Please also see: The Sunna way of Praying when Injured or Unable to Stand
And Allah alone gives success.
Checked & Approved by Faraz Rabbani