Whether we are seeking forgiveness for our own sins or asking God to help us forgive others, prayer is the first place to start when seeking restoration and healing. The below prayers can help guide your thoughts and words as you seek being forgiven or help in forgiving others. It is a big step to seek out forgiveness and you have taken a bold step in faith!
Before we jump into specific prayers for forgiveness, you may want to take some time to consider what God commands of us concerning forgiveness and why it’s so critical to be able to forgive. Visit our article: What Does the Bible Say About Forgiveness?
Photo credit: ©Thinkstock/DedMityay
Forgiveness and repentance go hand-in-hand in a Christian’s life. We must learn to always forgive others and to ask for forgiveness ourselves. Without repentance, we are liable of judgment from God. If we withhold forgiveness to others, forgiveness will also be withheld from us. Here are 7 prayers focusing on forgiveness and repentance. May we all strive to live as holy as possible by allowing the Spirit to convict us of our sins and to forgive others that sin against us.
Table of contents
There are no words to express how filthy I feel every time I break Your heart. The guilt and the shame are overwhelming! Lord, I need Your touch right now. I am so sick of being “born again” and still doing the things I hate doing. Like Paul, I am conflicted. “For I do not do what I want, but do the very thing that I hate.” (Romans 7:15) I am so sorry! Father, I ask for Your forgiveness right now. I am shocked that my life has come to a point where even some sins don’t affect me at all. Father, I have some hard layers on my heart that need peeling. Please give me a 100% heart of flesh. The hardness is a barrier between us that I can’t stand! I love You and I am so regrettably sorry for my selfish actions. Thank You for Your forgiveness, Lord. Without forgiveness I am nothing. With Your forgiveness I am whole again. I praise Your Name! Amen
Strength To Forgive Others
I can’t seem to shake the harm that’s been done to me off my shoulders. I am wallowing in the anger I feel. Lord, I shouldn’t think the vengeful thoughts that I have. You have called me to forgive every single person that wrongs me. I need Your strength to overcome these trespasses against me. Father, I want to forgive these people. Please cast the devil’s evil ways from me. I want to look at these people and see lost souls that need You. I want to forgive them completely so that You can use me however You wish, to be Jesus to them. Father, I am done with holding these grudges! Forgive me for holding on to them. I cast this burden at Your throne now. Do with me as you please Father. I love You and thank you for Your patience with me. Amen
Why do You forgive us? We shout praises to You when we sing worship. With the same tongue we curse other people that are made in Your image. (James 3:9 reference) Why do You forgive us? We say we love You and still keep sinning. Why do You forgive us? We spend time in prayer thanking You for your blessings and then we refuse to bless others. Why do You forgive us? We read our Bibles when we make time for it, but we also read other nonsense that is offensive to You. Why do You forgive us? We praise Jesus for His death on the cross for the atonement of our sins and then we nail Him to it again every time we trespass against You. Why do You forgive us every single time? I am so thankful for your endless supply of forgiveness! I can’t fathom how You do it, for I am only one man. You do this for every single person! The compassion and grace and mercy that flow from You is absolutely amazing and I love You for it! Thank you so much for forgiving me every time I sin! You are worthy to be praised! Amen
Repentance From Unbelievers
Father in heaven,
My heart grieves for those close to me that do not want to know You. They are lost souls wandering wherever the devil takes them. They are fulfilling their own desires of the flesh instead of yearning for the life that You give. Father, use me or anyone that You please to show Christ-like love to them. Father, I love these men and women and to think of them in eternal torment is tormenting me! I pray that the seeds that are planted in them Lord will be grown by You. You make miracles happen every day and I pray that You make one today in the lives of the lost. I praise Your Holy Name! Amen
Forgiveness For Children
Just as Job continually offered burnt offerings to you for the forgiveness of his children, (Job 1:5) I am praying for the forgiveness of mine. Lord, only You know what they have done. If they have sinned against You I pray that You would forgive them. I pray that they would seek repentance to make things right with You. Lord, if there is any sin that needs to be forgiven, I pray that You would soften their hearts and bring them safely into Your arms of grace and mercy. I thank you for Your unlimited love for us! Amen
You are all-powerful! Even Your thoughts produce action. I pray for our leaders in the government. Lord, they also have power, though it is limited. I pray that they would use their positions wisely, for You are the One who has allowed them to lead us. We need strong men and women of faith in these kinds of roles. I pray that our men and women in authority will strive to live godly lives and to repent when necessary. As in Animal Farm, “Absolute power corrupts absolutely.” If there is any corruption, I pray that our leaders would repent and ask for forgiveness, so that our country doesn’t fall apart. I thank you for our leaders and pray for their safety. I love you Father! Amen
I pray for pastors around the world. If there is any un-confessed sin active in their lives, I pray that You would bring them to the deepest valleys if that is what it takes to get them back on the narrow path. We need strong pastors leading our congregations. I pray that You would use the people closest to their pastors to keep them accountable, Lord. Accountability is a must in every Christian’s life. I thank you for our pastors, Lord, for they have a huge role to play here on earth. They have many big responsibilities and I am so grateful that they accept the challenges of pastoring. I love You, Lord! Amen
Forgiveness is absolutely necessary in a Christian’s walk with the Lord. “Forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us.” (Luke 11:4) God bless you as you live a life worthy of the calling!
Have you read this other article about prayer?
What Does the Bible Say About Prayer?
Resources – The Holy Bible, English Standard Version “Scripture quotations are from The Holy Bible, English Standard Version® (ESV®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway, a publishing ministry of Good News Publishers. Used by permission. All rights reserved.”
Would you like to get the daily question in your FB messenger? Just click the button below to get started.
Share this post
: | | | |
There arent many things in life more important than forgiveness. As Christians, we understand that we all make mistakes, and that we must learn to forgive, as God forgives us.
Below are a few sample prayers for forgiveness. Submit your prayer request below to ask God for forgiveness.
A Prayer for Forgiveness
I have sinned, Lord, and while I know that all have sinned and come
short I am having a hard time letting go of my shame and accepting your forgiveness.
I know that I am unworthy of your love, but Your Word promises
forgiveness as long as we confess our sins to You and repent.
I am so sorry for falling short of what You expect of me,
and I pray for your mercy and the strength not to make the same mistakes again.
There are many circumstances when we need to ask to be forgiven. One of the more common circumstances that we see in prayer requests, is asking for forgiveness after an infidelity.
We must learn to forgive even after the most hurtful of actions.
Forgiveness After an Affair
Being betrayed by a spouse is a very painful thing,
but we know, Lord, that it is Your will that we learn to forgive.
What others do should never impact our walk with you, God.
We need to be able to learn to forgive even the most painful breach of trust.
Help us to forgive our spouse the same way that we want You to forgive us,
and give us peace and healing for our broken hearts.
Forgiveness in The Scriptures
The word of God offers us guidance on how to forgive our neighbors, and ourselves.
“Then Peter came up and said to him, Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times? Jesus said to him, I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.””
Read more Bible Verses about Forgiveness
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Forgiveness”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Forgiveness- Dear Lord Jesus, I pray today that you will forgive my sins today, yesterday and tomorrow. Lord I pray that you will instill in me… …
- In need of prayer- I am always angry at my partner. He broke my heart years ago and till this day I would lash out on every little thing.… …
- Forgiveness- I pray to forgive my family members for abusing me and then casting me out. I pray that I will be free to live my… …
- Help my son say the sinners prayer- My dear Son is trying to meet with God. He feels he couldnt say the Sinners prayer yet as he isnt ready and in some… …
- Forgiveness- Praying for a positive breakthrough of all strongholds of unforgiveness, anger, and bitterness to be broken from Dearin so he can surrender to the power… …
- Spirit of unforgiveness- I pray for God to forgive me and bless me with a heart that bears no grudges. Lift the spirit of unforgiveness from my heart.… …
- Sins forgiveness- God Almighty Father forgive me my numerous sins, heal my wife to concieve normally, grant me New job at promotion level and reveal to me… …
- Forgiveness- I have made many mistakes in the past. These mistakes have not only affected me but have affected others as well. I fight the “what… …
- Gaining my friendships back- Dear Lord, I want to really get some prayer for me. I want to gain my trust and forgiveness back from my best friend. We’ve… …
- Thank you- Thank you God in the name of your Son Jesus the Christ for helping me forgive my wretched self and therefore be able to forgive… …
- Peace with God- I’m asking for prayer in my current situation. I made a mistake, stole money from my previous job, paid it back, but now they want… …
- Friendship- Dear Lord, I want to ask for your prayer in gaining trust and forgiveness back from my once best friend. I miss her dearly and… …
- Forgiving others and heal from the pain of loosing my parents- please pray for me in forgiving those who hurt and for ask for forgiveness from those I hurt, and heal from the pain of loosing… …
- A closer walk with you Lord- Lord Jesus, I can no longer be a hypocrite. How can I ask you to forgive me when I harbor feelings of resentment, jealousy, and… …
- Prayer For Forgiveness- Lord all my life I’ve prayed to you for material things, for happiness, for love, for so many things. But today I ask something different… …
- To End All of things that are not pleasing and bestowed from you- Heavenly father I humbly come to you today and ask you for forgiveness forgiveness for all of my Sims for all of the things that… …
- Forgiving mom- Hello. It’s so hard to be around my mom because she’s been critical, hypocritical, and manipulative my whole life. Constantly refers to God, but I… …
- Lord forgive me for i am a sinner- Lord forgive me for i am a sinner I did so many wrongs in my life and I ask u to forgive me I love… …
- Concern- I just need prayer to remove people out my life that should be I am toxic my self and I should be removed out of… …
- Forgiveness- That my daughters appeal will be granted. …
More prayers posted in: Forgiveness