The effects of porn addiction in the Christian churches are staggering. Most Christians would rather hide their head in the sand than admit this is a problem let alone talk about it. Those who are not addicted to porn are not aware that this problem. Moreover this is not exclusive to just Christian men but Christian women also suffer from pornography addiction.
Why should you care if you’re not addicted to porn? Because you or your children may end up marrying someone who is. This is why you need to educate yourself about this.
What’s worse is that the people who are married to porn addicts usually end up blaming themselves. They have low self esteem, body image issues, they feel inadequate and have no self worth because they believe they should be able to free their spouse from the addiction and they can’t. It ruins marriages.
Here are some statistics on this problem
Christians, Pastors and Church Pornography Statistics
51% of pastors say cyber-porn is a possible temptation. 37% say it is a current struggle (Christianity Today, Leadership Survey, 12/2001).
50% of evangelical pastors admits viewing pornography last year.
Of those who had visited a porn site, 53% had visited such sites “a few times” in the past year, and 18% visit sexually explicit sites between a couple of times a month and more than once a week.
29% of born again adults in the U.S. feel it is morally acceptable to view movies with explicit sexual behavior (The Barna Group).
57% of pastors say that addiction to pornography is the most sexually damaging issue to their congregation (Christians and Sex Leadership Journal Survey, March 2005).
Roger Charman of Focus on the Family’s Pastoral Ministries reports that approximately 20 percent of the calls received on their Pastoral Care Line are for help with issues such as pornography and compulsive sexual behavior.
Statistics on Women with Pornography Addiction
28% those admitting to sexual addiction are women (internet-filter-review.com).
34% of female readers of Today’s Christian Woman’s online newsletter admitted to intentionally accessing Internet porn in a recent poll and 1 out of every 6 women, including Christians, struggles with an addiction to pornography (Today’s Christian Woman, Fall 2003).
47% percent of families said pornography is a problem in their home (Focus on the Family Poll, October 1, 2003).
So we see that this problem is pervasive in our churches. Now with the internet being such a large part of our lives, this makes it easily accessible on our desktop computers, smart phones or tablets. It is right at our fingertips!
How does the church stop the pornography addition??
The first step to being pornography free is admitting that you have a problem and you need to be delivered. Understand that you are battling a DEMON. Very few resources that you will read about pornography online will tell you that this is a demon.
If you are truly a born again Christian then you can’t be possessed by the demon but you can be oppressed. This means that the demon is in your environment and can influence your thinking by whispering in your ear and enticing you to continue with this behavior.
Remember that once you have received Jesus as your personal Savior you have been set from your past sins. You are a new creation and the old things have passed away and all things become new! (2 Corinthians 5:17) All of your sins are nailed to the cross and you now live a life of freedom from pornography.
You’re probably thinking that this is not true because why then are you or other Christians struggling with this. Well, once you clicked on that link to the website where you visit for porn, whether you did it intentionally or not, you then gave the enemy access to your soul. You gave him access to plant a seed there and keep you in bondage. You opened the door. The first time you clicked on that link, if you quickly clicked off the page you wouldn’t be where you are now. Because you stayed there and continued to look through all the pages and stare at the images you invited satan to enter in. A demon of seduction, pornography, incubus or succubus then attached itself to you. Now you have to take the appropriate steps to freeing yourself from the demon.
Here are some steps to break free from your addiction:
1. Fast. You must start fasting. Here is some information on prayer and fasting. This will give you the initial strength you need to do the other steps. (Mark 9:29) “This kind can come out by nothing but prayer and fasting.”
2. If you have magazines or photos BURN THEM! Videos DESTROY THEM! Don’t put them in the trash make sure they are destroyed so that others cannot find them.
3. Clean out your computer. Delete all files, empty the recycle bin. Cancel all memberships to websites.
4. Install a software on your computer which will block future possible encounters like covenanteyes.com
5. Get someone that you trust 100% to keep this confidential to keep you accountable. Or, get a Christian counselor and see them at least once per week. You need to be honest with someone about this.
6. All your friends on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram that have suggestive photos or are connected with those who have suggestive photos UNFRIEND THEM! Yes, this could be the slippery slope that satan uses to lead you back to the addiction. They won’t understand why you unfriended them but your freedom is more important than their offense at this point.
8. Pray, pray and pray some more.
9. Find a church in your area that has a deliverance ministry and ask them to break the demonic spirit from your life.
10. When you feel weak like you are about to fall into this again repent IMMEDIATELY and put on the Armor of God. This will protect you.
Pornography ruins families and results in many divorces. These demons enter in and convinces the person that this is who they are. It becomes a secret sin and they continue to perpetuate the behavior because they think no one will find out. Afterall, they are not hurting anyone right? These are the lies of the enemy and he can ruin lives when this kind of thinking is believed. Don’t own the behavior. Renounce it! Rebuke it! (1 Corinthians 6:17-19) Pornography is sinning against your own self and the Holy Spirit because we are His temple.
The truth is that a lot of virgins in our churches are addicted to porn. While they are not having sex (fornication) so that the sin is obvious, most of them have fallen into sin already by being addicted to porn. The only person that finds out about this later on is their spouse.
Most believe that once they get married this problem will go away. The truth is, it won’t! Deliverance from this demon needs to happen prior to marriage in order for it not to raise it’s ugly head during the marriage. Remember this is a demon, it will not leave just because you are married. It will entice you to continue the pornography when your husband’s or wife’s body does not look like what you have become addicted to on porn sites, when they refuse to have sex with you one night or not as often as you would like. This is why it won’t stop. Deliverance needs to happen BEFORE you get married.
Here is a prayer for porn addiction:
Father God, I come to you in the name of Jesus and I repent of this sin and I ask that the blood of Jesus would cleanse my mind and my heart from the images that have been imprinted there. I pray that you would renew my mind with images of you on the cross dying for my sins. Renew my mind with your Word according to Romans 12:1-2. Lead me to the scriptures that would continue my mind renewal process. Free me from this bondage Holy Spirit forgive me for grieving you. You’ve said that no temptation has laid hold of us that is not common to man and that you would not allow us to be tempted beyond a point where we cannot escape. I pray that you would show me the way out. Show me the traps and roads that the enemy uses that lead me to this temptation so that I may choose another way. Close those doors in the spiritual realm. Show me all the things, people & places that I need to cut off to continue in my freedom. I bind the hand of the enemy. I rebuke the demon of seduction, pornography, incubus, succubus and any other spirits that have attached themselves to me. Point me in the direction of the deliverance ministry where I can continue in freedom. Free me from the guilt and shame. Continually keep the helmet of salvation on my head to keep my mind free from evil, lustful thoughts. Bring to my mind all the things that I may have in my environment that would encourage these demons so that I can remove them. Lord, I accept that I am a new creation in Christ Jesus that old things have passed away and all things have been made new. Free me from a spirit of rejection and from pride. I am fearfully and wonderfully made and valuable beyond measure in your eyes. Lord, I accept that I have the mind of Christ and therefore my thoughts will be on the things that Christ would have me think on. God lead me to the right support group where I can have the accountability that you know I will need during this process. Holy Spirit guide my steps, guard my heart, make my will Your will and when I don’t know what else to pray please make intercession for me so that I will be free, in Jesus Name, Amen
Here are some other organizations that can help with those who are suffering with pornography addition:
If you’ve been freed from pornography and can offer advice on this, please write them it the comments below.
Here are some Helplines and Hotlines for those addicted to porn and for the victims.
Porn Addiction Hotline (1-800-583-2964) This line is for the victims of pornography addition
Sex Addicts Anonymous Helpline: (1-800-477-8191)
Sexaholics Anonymous (1-866-424-8777)
Here are some scriptures for breakthrough and a prayer
Here is a prayer to cut soul ties
Here is a prayer for deliverance
Prayers for overcoming addiction are scriptural based prayers designed to break the backbone of any addiction. If you are addicted to drugs, alcohol, cigarette, sex, gambling or something else and you are looking for a way out or maybe you are just searching for prayers to pray for a loved one who is addicted to one thing or the other, here is a list of prayers that you can pray while trusting in God to bring total deliverance.
Spiritually speaking, most of the things we call addictions today are actually the manifestation of demonic spirit of self-destruction. The demons of addiction enter into someone’s life because the person invited them in the name of pleasure. Perhaps that is the reason why it is usually difficult for the addicted to get out of their addiction. Whatever may be the situation, the name of Jesus is here to set you or your loved ones free.
Scripture Reading: Romans 7:22-25, Mark 5:2-15
Praise, Worship and Thanksgiving
Start by singing songs of praise unto the Lord if you know how to sing, if not go ahead and give thanks unto the Lord who is worthy to receive all glory and honour.
- Heavenly Father, I thank you for keeping me alive to this day.
- I thank you almighty God for what you are set to do as I pray about this addiction
- I thank you Jesus for your mercies and faithfulness.
- Everlasting father, I give you praise and honour.
Prayer against Addiction
- Almighty God, I come before you today, please forgive me of every sin of drug addiction, sex addiction, e.t.c, that I have committed against my body (1Corinthians 6:18, 1John 1:9) and against you in the name of Jesus.
- Everlasting father I surrender my life to you, please take total and absolute control of my life as from today in the name of Jesus.
- Father my body, soul and spirit I commit into your hand, please cleanse me with the blood of Jesus in the name of Jesus (1John 1:7).
- It is written, “call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee and thou shall glorify me” (Psalm 50:15). Father, deliver me from evil spirit of addiction to (name your addiction e.g. alcohol) that I have invited to my life in the name of Jesus.
- I renounce and reject every spirit of addiction to (name your addiction e.g. drug). Heavenly father uproot all form of addiction to (name your addiction e.g. drug) from my life in the name of Jesus (Matthew 15:13).
- Father, remove from me the heart of stone that is panting after (name your addiction e.g. drug) in the name of Jesus (Ezekiel 36:26).
- Father, create in me a new heart and a new spirit that will be addicted to nothing but the word of God in the name of Jesus (Ezekiel 36:26-27)
- Heavenly father, please fill me with the fullness of the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus (Luke 11:13).
- Lord, as I make conscious effort to do without e.g. cigarette, please release to me the supernatural power to hate cigarette and never indulge in it again in the name of Jesus.
- Lord of Host, please deliver me from every spirit of self-destruction that pretend to be addiction in the name of Jesus.
- Heavenly Father, you have created me for your glory (Isaiah 43:7), please help me so that I can be use for your glory on this earth in the name of Jesus.
- Please note that the first step towards overcoming addiction is to let Christ dwell in you. The scripture says, in 2Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new”. Without Jesus Christ in your life, you may not be able to overcome that addiction. Here is an opportunity for you to surrender your life to Christ. Please say this short prayer of salvation so that Jesus Christ can begin to live in you.
- I recommend that these prayers be prayed loudly, fervently and consistently until there is a significant change in the life of the addict.
Thanks for reading.
Image by: freedigitalphotos.net
Dear God, I know that I cannot keep secrets hidden from You. Please, help me in this time of temptation. For I need Your help to give up the addiction which is making my life so unbearable. You know how it has tempted me before and how strong it is now. The habit comes and promises so much, yet it gives so little.
Dear God, you know how strong this addiction is and how it hurts me. I have tried to overcome this habit by self will. Truly, I want to stop, but I just do not seem to have the power, it has such a hold on me. Please, help me get rid of this addiction. Take and remove this thing which is like a sickness. Help me as if I were a little child and had no strength at all. Put in my heart some good and great ambition that will be stronger than this addiction. Show me how to love myself above the addiction. Bring me closer to You in this trouble. I will surrender to You and in doing so I will get stronger and stronger.
Dear God, thank You, for even this little prayer has made me feel better and stronger. Thank You for giving me hope. Thank You for loving me in spite of my troubles.
I come to You as I come to no one else.
I am so sorry.
I have nearly thrown away my life, my body, my soul
But recognition of my addiction
has never given me power to control it.
You know this.
You never blame me.
You know the truth.
Addiction is an attractor field – a low vibrational level.
I wound up there because I was trying to escape pain,
Or I was trying to experience something transcendent,
And I got stuck.
But there is a better way to escape pain,
And there is a better way to touch rapture.
I can receive an authentic calling from You.
Therefore, I surrender myself to what I can be
—to that highest level to which You call me.
I demand, now, in this moment, Father, that You call me
—that You call me loudly.
You call me and raise me up out of addiction
—and into a higher level attractor field.
And as You raise me,
So do You raise all of Humanity out of addiction
—and into a higher level attractor field.
Together we rise, as one force in You, one at a time and together.
You raise me because I deserve a better life.
You raise me because I am ready to be raised.
You raise me because the world needs me.
I rise and keep rising; I do not fall.
I rise because You need me.
I am Your Thoughts, Your Voice, Your Hands.
I rejoice in my inherent holiness.
For I am where You reside.
You lift me because I have asked
—and because you love me so very much.
By Your grace, as I read this,
My mind and energy align with Yours.
By Your grace, the power of my mind
Is multiplied exponentially by all who read this.
Aligned with You, we are more powerful than any evil
— or any substance—
Can ever be.
Together WE form a conduit of love.
It reaches into my need for addiction and I am healed.
By healing myself, I help heal Humanity’s need for addiction.
Joy fills my soul. My gratitude is infinite.
Thank You, Beloved Creator.
And so it is.