Mother’s Day can bring a mix of emotions for many women. There are those anticipating the birth of their first child, step-moms wondering what their place is, those who have lost their mother and are faced with grieving on Mother’s Day, there are moms who encounter feelings of hurt because their children have turned from God, and those overwhelmed with pain from the loss of a child. No matter what you face this Mother’s Day, you can turn to God and experience peace and healing through prayer. We have collected several prayers that can apply to your journey of motherhood. It is our hope that these will encourage your soul and speak life into your calling as a mom.
A Mother’s Day Prayer
Dear Father, we approach your throne on behalf of the mothers whom you have entrusted with the care of your most precious little ones. We thank you for creating each mom with a unique combination of gifts and talents. We thank you for the sacrifice of self each mom gives for her children. For the late nights spent rocking a colicky infant. For the hands calloused from washing, wiping, scrubbing, mixing, backing, stirring, hugging, patting, disciplining, holding, writing, erasing, painting, and pouring.
We thank you for the gift of time moms give for their kids, whether it’s stay-at-home moms, working moms, and moms who have some combination of the two. We thank you for the flexibility of moms, for their tirelessness, their perseverance, and their devotion.
We pray you give each mom strength. Help her to see in every mundane task the eternal, cosmic significance that you place on motherhood. Help her to understand that the most radical, world-changing events may be happening anonymously in her home. Help her to forgive those who undermine her significance.
We especially pray for single moms, who must lean solely on you for the fathering of their children. We thank you that you’re big arms surround children who may never know their earthly father. We also pray for mother who never had the honor of bearing children, but whose nurturing extends to the many poor and needy who crass the threshold of their lives.
We ask you to be the daily bread of tired mothers. We ask you to be their living water. We ask you to be their source of spiritual and physical strength. We pray that the same grace that flowed from Father to Son to us in salvation will flow from mothers to their children. We pray that each mother rejects perfectionism and instead embraces the goodness of the gospel. We pray the rhythms of repentance and forgiveness shape every home.
Lord, give each mother a worshipful reverence of you, the Creator and Sustainer of life. Help each mother to rest in the knowledge that they are but stewards of your children and that only your Spirit can produce change into the hearts of each boy and girl. May each mother find rest in you.
Most of all, Lord, on this day in which we honor mothers, may we love and cherish the special women who have born us, who have nurtured us, and who have prayed for our well-being. May our hearts overflow with gratitude to you, who formed and knitted each of us in a mother’s womb.
– Daniel Darling
A Prayer for Single Moms on Mother’s Day
Father God, we thank you for each and every woman you have blessed with the privilege of motherhood. We thank you that each single mother is a Godly steward of each of their children, and that they raise them in the ways of the Lord. Father, we pray and ask that You continue to give them grace to walk out being a single parent with kindness and generosity. We pray that each single mother has a relationship with You, and worships You in spirit and truth.
Help each of your precious daughters to remember that although they are parenting alone, You have not left them nor forsaken them. We thank You that You see each of them and love them. Lord, if they are weary, we pray and ask that You send them a Godly sister in Christ to hold up their arms in the battle, just as Aaron did for Moses. Lord, thank you that You care about every big or small thing that concerns them. Place a hedge of protection around each single mother and her children, Father. We thank you that You alone are their Provider. Where there is lack, Father, we pray that be it Your will You bring abundance. We pray and ask these things in your name, Amen.
– Jennifer Maggio
A Prayer for A Stressed Out Mom
May you have clarity of thought and a morsel of sanity today. May you know that His grace is enough. For every season, every tantrum, every question, every failure. It is enough. Always.
May you know that you are wildly loved by your Father, just as you are. Not because of what you accomplished today, or didn’t. Or how you feel about God at this moment, or whether you complained, or spent time reading your bible, or messed up in the worst way, or celebrated a victory. He adores you, just because.
And with of this knowledge, may you feel empowered to love your children the same way. The way God asks you to, the way your kids deserve, and the way you want to.
May you feel equipped to tackle every challenge, every situation, and every day with courage and joy even if you have to “start over” 10 times by 9 a.m.
May excitement fill your heart every morning for all that the day can be. Your children are your treasure, and this day is a gift– may you fully embrace it all.
May you lay your head down at night with a heart that is bursting and memories too plentiful to count. May you know unspeakable joy at the end of the day.
May you recognize that though these days are so (so, so, so, so) long, the years are short. They are a breath. And as you exhale yours in the darkness of the night, may your cup overflow with thanksgiving. May your dreams be sweet and your sleep be restful.
Sleep well, Momma, knowing that the work you are doing is good, and your Father is smiling on you.
– Malinda Fuller
A Prayer for Those Hurting on Mothers Day
Some days feel too hard. We’re hurting. Struggling. Fighting fear and worry at every turn. Thank you in the midst of it all, you haven’t left us to fend for ourselves. Forgive us for doubting you are there. Forgive us for thinking you’ve forgotten. Forgive us for believing we somehow know the better way.
You are fully trustworthy. You are All Powerful. You are Able. You are Lord over every situation no matter how difficult it may seem. You are Healer and will never waste the grief we carry today. You will use all things for good in some way. Anything is possible with you. Nothing is too difficult for you.
We pray for those who grieve today. We ask for your comfort to surround those who weep. We pray for the peace of your presence to cover our minds and thoughts, as you remind us, the enemy can never steal us out of your hands. He never has the final say over our lives. We are kept safe in your presence forever, whether in life or in death.
We thank you that your ways are higher than our ways and your thoughts are bigger than our thoughts. We lay it all down at your feet, every burden, every care. Believing that is the safest place for it to be. We love you Lord, we need your fresh grace.In the Powerful Name of Jesus, Amen.
– Debbie McDaniel
Mothers Day Scripture – Encouraging Bible Verses for Mom!
A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies. Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life. She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar. She gets up while it is still night; she provides food for her family and portions for her female servants. She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard. She sets about her work vigorously; her arms are strong for her tasks. She sees that her trading is profitable, and her lamp does not go out at night. In her hand she holds the distaff and grasps the spindle with her fingers. She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy. When it snows, she has no fear for her household; for all of them are clothed in scarlet. She makes coverings for her bed; she is clothed in fine linen and purple. Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land. She makes linen garments and sells them, and supplies the merchants with sashes. She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come. She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue.She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness. Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her: “Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all.” Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.
Listen, my son, to your father’s instruction and do not forsake your mother’s teaching. They are a garland to grace your head and a chain to adorn your neck.
Read more uplifting Bible verses for moms at BibleStudyTools.com – Mother’s Day Bible verses
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersThe Prayer of JabezShort PrayersThe Lord’s PrayerThe Prayer of St FrancisSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerIrish Prayers and BlessingsAdvent PrayersChristmas PrayersThanksgiving PrayerHoly Week Prayers for Each DayEaster PrayersMother’s Day PrayerPrayers for My HusbandPrayers for My SonPrayers for My DaughterPrayer Quotes
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
Lord, please guide our children that they may overcome all hardships in life. We pray for this mother and daughter to increase their faith in You, that they may always find their ways thru You. Pie, our dear sister, only wanted to have her own baby, her own labor of love, may she always find comfort and strength in You. She is a very wonderful person, sister, friend, daughter, and a mother to her nieces and nephew, we are certain that she will be a good mother too someday. we pray for her to be strong enough to surpass all her emotional pains of not being with her husband during those times that she needed him. We pray for her daughter, to guide her mother, to be her inspiration, they have kept a good fight. We pray for them Lord, please guide them always.
Return to Prayers for Children
1. Mothers give up so much, so that their children can have so much. Catherine Pulsifer
2. Despite the fact that we ought to show adoration to you mother each and every day, Mother’s Day is that one day when we demonstrate the most love for you, and make you feel like a Queen. Sheila Sage, Quotes to Inspire Motherhood
Inspirational Quotes |
3. Mother… a mother holds her child’s hand for just a short time, but holds their hearts forever.
Wise Quotes | Quote of the Day
4. A mother is a woman who shows you the light when you just see the dark. Grimaldos Robin
Inspirational Quotes for Kids | Hope
5. Never undermine yourself because you are ‘just’ a house mom. Tracey Taylor, Stay At Home Mom
Believe In Yourself |
6. Roses are red
violets are blue
There is no one dearer
than a Mom like you!
Valentines Day Quotes |
7. There is only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it.
Chinese Proverbs |
8. Mother: the most beautiful word on the lips of mankind. Kahlil Gibran
9. My mother was the dearest, sweetest angel. She didn’t talk; she sang. She was a tower of strength. Jayne Meadows
10. Mothers never retire, no matter how old her children are she is always a Mom, always willing to encourage and help her children in any way she can! Catherine Pulsifer
11. So I just want to stress to you the importance of mothers, because class, you’re going to have your October 22nd – and you just always remember that your mother is there who loves you, who will protect you, always stand with you. Kevin Vickers, Canadain Former House of Commons sergeant-at-arms
12 One good mother is worth a hundred schoolmasters. George Herbert
Teacher Quotes |
13. This mothering role will teach you more about yourself than you ever expected. Tricia Goyer, Teen Mom: You’re Stronger Than You Think
14 I look back on my childhood and thank the stars above. For everything you gave me, but mostly for your love. Wayne F. Winters
15. She (mother) pushed us to always try harder, to want the best out of our lives, and to always be strong – a lesson she was forced to learn herself when we were all still young. Willie Davis, Closing the Gap
Encouraging | Quotes on Life Lessons
16. Mother-love is the great, surging, divine current that plays forever through humanity. Elbert Hubbard
Love Means |
17. Ma-ma does everything for the baby, who responds by saying Da-da first. Mignon McLaughlin
18. Mother was by far the greatest personal influence in our lives.
Dwight Eisenhower Quotes
19. Giving grace to yourself is never more important than when you become a mother. Whitney Meade, The Balance Beam
20. When I was a young boy, something that my mom always emphasized to my siblings and me is that it was never okay to just get bye, be average or mediocre. She encouraged us to chase our dreams, but always keep God first in our lives. Joseph Woodley, No Generals In the House: Faith, Facts and Fatherhood
21. A mother is the one who is still there when everyone else has deserted you. Author Unknown
A Mother and Alot More |
22. Her life was not easy, yet she was a living example of someone who did the best with what life handed her. Thank you, Mom. We will always be grateful for the life lessons you taught and the love you shared. Sandra Bullock Smith, Trading Places: Becoming My Mother’s Mother: A Daughter’s Memoir
Thank You |
23. My mother is the neatest person I know. I mean that in every sense of the word. Rob Guinan, Soap Opera (for kids): A Clean Look at Motherhood
Words of Encouragement |
24. My mother’s love has always been a sustaining force for our family, and one of my greatest joys is seeing her integrity, her compassion, her intelligence reflected in my daughters. Michelle Obama
Family | Integrity Quotes
25. When it comes to parenting, the practice of framing mothers and fathers as good or bad is both rampant and corrosive -it turns parenting into a shame minefield. The real questions for parents should be: ‘Are you engaged? Are you paying attention?’ Brené Brown, Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead
26. Motherhood is more awesome than I ever thought it could be and harder than I ever would have imagined. Sarah Williams, Cupcakes On A Tuesday: Sweet Relief For The Early Years Of Motherhood
27. Not only am I a fighter, but I’m a survivor. I think being a mother really plays into that. Willow Cross, Getting Over It
Appreciation | Thinking
28. Repetition is the mother of all skills, so the simplest way to ingrain something as a belief is to repeat it. Rosemary Peck, The Little Book of Tough Self Love
29. Behind every famous and influential person there is a driving force and in many cases this driving force is the unfailing love and support of their mothers. Lisa Valentine
Famous Quotes |
30. Usually it is our biological mother or permanent mother substitute who profoundly influences our perceptions about ourselves, our lives, and our significant relationships. Brenda Hunter, In the Company of Women: Deepening Our Relationships with the Important Women in Our Lives
31. A mother’s happiness is like a beacon, lighting up the future but reflected also on the past in the guise of fond memories. Honore de Balzac
32. After all the definitions and expression of thoughts on Mother, I still feel that ‘who is mother’ is a question that cannot be answered satisfactorily by words and one has to experience the love, nurturing, compassion and empathy of a mother at a personal level to know what is mother. Sanjay Kali
33. Daughters – see your mom as a woman who can share valuable guidance based on her journey. Karen Keller, Ph.D
34. May is a time we get many reminders to pause and take time to acknowledge the contributions of mothers to our lives. Deborah Chelette-Wilson
35. I have a special mother, this I truly know. I could not ask for better, my mother, I love her so. Julie Hebert
Mothers Day Poems |
36. Even though my father was very strict with us, my dear mother was exactly the opposite. Maybe it was because I was the baby of the family that she treated me specially – but, whatever the reason, whenever I thought about my mother, I envisioned an angel. Ludvik Wieder, I Promised My Mother
Inspirational Poems |
37. Out of instinct we want to agree with the child who wants to do things “mom’s way” but out of fairness we must listen to why the other child is trying to do things another way – they may have a very good reason for doing things differently. Sophie Banks, On Children and Jealousy: Helping Children Cope With Jealousy and Boosting Their Confidence
Listening | Confidence
38. You’re a mom at home, you don’t need to be a mom at work too. While the mothering urge in you is strong – save that energy for home. Jacqueline Fisch, Unfussy Mom: simplifying your life
39. Draw strength from people who have gone before you; your mother, your mentor, your boss, a senior colleague and so on. Grace Essen, Successful Working Mom
40. Mom, thank you for always modeling the utmost strength, determination, and work ethic. Steph Gold, Now Is YOUR Time
41. As feminist theorists have articulated in numerous books, the mother is frequently the most significant model for young girls. Patricia Foster, Sister to Sister
42. My gratitude to my dear mother . . . whom I love very much. I will forever be grateful to you for instilling wisdom and Godly values in me. Thank you for being a strong woman of God and never giving up. This has been a very valuable lesson to me as I live and learn. Irell Wallace, Don’t Give Up: God Wants You To Be Rich
Gratitude | Strong
43. Now, mothering is far more rewarding than any job, but there are times when you need a day off. Ashlee Meadows, Stress Management: Destressing Tips For Moms
44. I can truly say how wonderful, I feel my mother is. She knows exactly when I’m in need, not to mention all the things she does. Julie Hebert
45. There is actually a great wisdom behind talking with the mom-to-be about the baby shower before planning it. First of all, ask for her permission to do it. Keep in mind that she is the mother, so she always has a say in things concerning her baby. Gabriella Reznik, Baby Shower Ideas: How to Plan and Host the Perfect Baby Shower
46. The true story of the first Christmas is really quite awesome when you know more of the details about what happened. A good place to start is with Mary the the mother of Jesus. Tim Gilroy, Christmas Traditions: Facts and Fallacies
Christmas | Inspirational Stories
47. A mother understands what a child does not say. Proverb
48. My son was an adult, making adult choices. He had excluded me and the rest of his family. We were no longer a part of his life. It was up to me to take charge where I could, in my own life….As a caring mother who had always tried to do my best, I had a right to step forward, embrace my circumstances, and get on with my life. Sheri McGregor MA, Done With The Crying: Help and Healing for Mothers of Estranged Adult Children
49. But the most important thing I learned from Mom is that nothing is more precious or sacred than doing God’s will. Kenneth W. Hagin
50. Mama was my greatest teacher, a teacher of compassion, love and fearlessness. If love is sweet as a flower, then my mother is that sweet flower of love. Stevie Wonder
51. I believe the choice to become a mother is the choice to become one of the greatest spiritual teachers there is. Oprah Winfrey
52. Simply having children does not make mothers. John A. Shedd
53. Many of us who are mothers already know that being a mother is the toughest job there is. In a single day you can travel from the depths of frustration to the pinnacle of elation! June Cotner, Mothers and Daughters: A Poetry Celebration
54. Being a mother has been the most challenging and the most rewarding position I will ever hold. Cathy Shaffer, Conversations With My Daughter: Love is patient. Love is kind.
55. If every mother in the United States could wrap her mind around her true value as a woman and mother, her life would never be the same. We would wake up every morning excited for the day rather than feeling as though we’d been hit by a truck during the night. We would talk differently to our kids, fret less about our husbands’ annoying habits, and speak with greater tenderness and clarity. We would find more contentment in our relationships, let mean remarks roll off our backs, and leave work feeling confident in the job we performed. Meg Meeker Md, The 10 Habits of Happy Mothers: Reclaiming Our Passion, Purpose, and Sanity
Poems about Life |
56. I have tried to live my life as my mother would have wished. She taught me as a boy that service is the highest duty in the world.… I have tried to follow her teaching. Henry Ford
57. I learned from my mother that there is a greatness in all of us, and that all of us are delivered to this world with a mission. Les Brown, Live Your Dreams: Say “YES” To Life
Greatness | Learning
Wishes for A Happy Mothers Day:
58. Words don’t express how much of an amazing mother I think you are. Thank you for your love and support.
59. Mom you gave me life and you filled it with love, encouragement and praise. You always believed in me even when I had doubts. I feel so blessed to have a Mom like you.
60. Growing up I should have said sorry more often, there were times I regret but I never regret having you as a Mom. Thank you Mom and sorry for the times I should have said so! You deserve so much more than I could ever give. You are an awesome Mom. Love you forever.
61. You have been my best friend, my teacher, my comforter. What more could I person want from a Mother. Thank you for being you Mom and for all your love
62. A friend for life that is what you are Mom. Words cannot convey how much our friendship means to me.
63. Mom, if I could pick a flower every time I give thanks for you then all the flowers in the world would be picked.
64. Even when you disciplined us we could always feel your love. Thank you Mom for being the exceptional woman that you are!
65. No one could ever replace you. Your smile, your hug, your encouraging words. I appreciate all you have been to me. You are the best.