A Prayer for Strength is often needed during difficult times. God is always here for us, to give us strength and lift our hearts when all seems hopeless.
“I can do all things through Christ, which strengthens me.”
Most of us realize that our own strength is not always enough to get through some of the situations that this life brings.
At those difficult times, it is wise to call on God for extra strength and for His strength to help sustain you when your own strength fails. (Psalms 28:8 and Isaiah 40:29)
Table of contents
- 1 7 Prayers for Strength
- 2 Prayers for Strength and Courage
- 3 Scripture For Strength and Courage
- 4 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Strength and Guidance”
- 5 Recent prayer requests…
- 6 A Prayer for Strength
- 7 A Prayer for Strength and Encouragement
- 8 A Prayer for Strength to Endure
- 9 Additional Prayer Resources
- 10 Prayer for Healing and Strength
- 11 Prayer for Strength When Grieving
- 12 A Prayer for Strength to Cope with Physical Illness
- 13 Prayer for Strength and Guidance
- 14 Prayer for Strength During Difficult Times
- 15 See More Slideshows
7 Prayers for Strength
Below we have 7 prayers for strength submitted by pastors and clergy. Contribute to this site by submitting your own prayer for strength.
Or, submit a prayer request below.
Give Me Strength, Lord
Lord, you are Holy above all others, and all of the strength that I need is in your hands.
I am not asking, Lord, that you take this trial away. Instead, I simply ask that Your will be done in my life. Whatever that means, that is what I want.
But I admit that it’s hard, Lord.
Sometimes I feel like I can’t go on. The pain and the fear are too much for me, and I know that I don’t have the strength on my own to get through this.
I know that I can come to you, Jesus, and that you will hear my prayer. I know that it is not your intent to bring me to this point just to leave me in the wilderness alone.
Please, Lord, give me the strength that I need to face today. I don’t have to worry about tomorrow.
If you just give me the strength that I need today that is all I need.
Keep me from sinning during this trial. Instead, help me to keep my eyes on you. You are the Holy Lord, and all of my hope rests in you.
Thank you for hearing my prayer.
In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Get strength for your relationships: Relationship Prayers.
For Strength and Wisdom
Thank you, Lord, for being there for me and allowing me to cry out to you in my times of need.
It is amazing to me that the Lord of the Universe would take time to listen to me and to care about what I say.
God, there are things happening around me right now that I do not understand. Some of these things make me feel weak, helpless and afraid.
Even in the midst of this, I know that you are the Lord.
I know that the situation is in Your hand, and I trust You.
I beseech you for strength and for wisdom that I would be able to endure this situation and be able to handle it in a way that would bring glory to Your name.
In Jesus name. Amen.
Don’t ever be ashamed at feeling weak. Remember what the Bible says in 2 Corinthians 12:10:
“Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.”
Check out our collection of Inspirational Prayers
Prayer for Overcoming Life’s Hardships
O Lord, we call upon You in our time of sorrow,
That You give us the strength and will to bear our heavy
burdens, until we can again feel the warmth and love of
Your divine compassion. Be mindful of us and have mercy
on us while we struggle to comprehend life’s hardships.
Keep us ever in Your watch, til we can walk again with
light hearts and renewed spirits.
Strength for a Friend
Lord, I come before you today knowing that all power is in Your hand.
I know that you are the Lord and that you care for your people.
Right now, my friend is struggling with a difficult trial.
I can see her strength is faltering, Lord, and know that you have all of the strength that she needs.
I pray that you will reach down and touch her right now wherever she is at this moment.
Let your presence fill the room where she is and let her feel an extra portion of your
strength that can help her to get through this day.
She needs you now, Lord, and I thank you in advance for meeting her where she is
and shoring up her strength during this difficult time.
In Jesus’ name. Amen.
Prayers for Strength and Courage
Say these prayers when you’re in need of strength and courage. Day to day troubles are no match for the power of the Lord.
To be Grateful
Lord God, may we be grateful for our lot,
and compassionate toward all those who are
suffering every kind of distress at this
May we hold back nothing, and
hasten to be the ministers of prayer and mercy,
like the disciples of Him who went about doing
good in times of need.
Prayer for Guidance and Help
Dear Lord, I am calling upon you today for
your divine guidance and help. I am in crisis
and need a supporting hand to keep me on the
right and just path.
My heart is troubled but I will
strive to keep it set on you, as your infinite wisdom
will show me the right way to a just and right resolution.
Thank you for hearing my prayer and for staying by my side.
For Unfailing Strength
Do not look forward to what may happen
tomorrow; the same everlasting Father who cares
for you today will take care of you tomorrow and
every day. Either He will shield you from suffering,
or He will give you unfailing strength to bear it.
Be at peace, then. Put aside all anxious thoughts and
imaginations, and say continually: “The Lord is my
strength and my shield. My heart has trusted in Him
and I am helped. He is not only with me but in me,
and I in Him.
Scripture For Strength and Courage
Lets go straight to the source, and read bible verses about strength in trying times.
“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Click here to read more bible verses for strength, and Bible verses for courage.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Strength and Guidance”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Prayer for Feelings of Hopelessness- I have nowhere else to turn to and I trust my entire soul with the Lord. I feel utterly hopeless and like a horrible daughter.… …
- Mental illness- Please pray for me. I am mentally ill. It’s too much. Morning is too much. I get really depressed in the am because I don’t… …
- School Works- Lord, give more strength to endure. Help me to do this with love and I bind all the distraction that will hinder me to do… …
- Loss of my dear Friend Sherry- I was Sherry’s caregiver for 4 years in my home. My best friend of 38 years. She brought me to Christ. She had bladder cancer… …
- Husband has terrible impatience and alcohol- Abba, Father. Thank You that Jesus made it possible for me/us to come right into Your throne room. Thank You Jesus that Your word tells… …
- Genevieve- I know it seems small, but I am praying for my daughter to have confidence and strength today. She deserves it Lord. Please help her! …
- My physical health problems and with my financial situations- Dear St Jude, please help me resolve my body’s lung and heart problems. also, help me resolve my financial problems. these issues have been with… …
- Gods direction- Prayer for me that God will help me to know his will for my life and I need Gods directions concerning my life too. Everything… …
- Please Pray for me and my family- Dear Lord, I need you more than ever today. I am being evicted from my home with no where to go right now. I have… …
- Pray for strength and self confidence for my daughter, Amy- Heavenly Father: I ask you to keep my daughter away from prescription drugs so she can gain confidence and strength to finish raising her 16-year-old… …
- Strength- Please touch and agree with me on this prayer. Father of God, I ask for your complete power of strength right now! I pray that… …
- Spiritual maturity- I would like you to for a spiritual break through and financial stability. …
- Strength in the Inner Man- The past 2 years has been rough for me. I backslid. For the past few months, I’ve been trying to get back right in my… …
- Strength- I want to follow the will of the Lord above everything else. Please pray for me so that I can find new strength and withstand… …
- Daughter- My daughter needs the strength found only in Our Lord to handle a single life in this world that looks down on young women as… …
- Weakness in prayers- Dear please pray for me because I am very weak in prayers I always fall asleep whenever I want to pray it has taken time… …
- Faith and strength 🙏- I have been battling one thing after another .I am trying to keep the faith and the strength to get through my day. It seems… …
- Scared I am becoming an atheist- If someone is reading this, I ask for prayer that I break out of those zone I have been in questioning if I believe in… …
- Change Me Oh God- I am truly tired of the mediocre life I live, and so I have ask the Lord to change me this year. At the end… …
- New year prayer- I need prayer to move on from my past . To be forgiven so me and my family and people around me can live a… …
More prayers posted in: Strength
Have you ever needed supernatural strength to face a situation head-on, but not known what to pray? God is waiting and wants to offer us strength in time of need. Do not be afraid to pray and ask God for His strength to fall upon you! When you are weak, weary or unready to stand, and unsure of what to ask, pray along with these words!
A Prayer for Strength
Lord, I’m weary. My energy is sagging, and my motivation is lagging. And I am so in need of you. I need your strength and your fresh touch to get back on track again. Your Word says the joy of the Lord is my strength. If that’s true, then I need your joy to replace all the bone-tired parts of my mind, body, and soul.
The pressures of life sometimes push me into a corner, rendering me helpless to move forward. A hundred voices call my name, and I feel paralyzed at times to answer, not knowing where to turn. Lord, help me not to quit, to keep running the race faithfully, and to find strength in that safe, secret place of yours, under the shadow of the Almighty.
I need your strength to say no when I’m tempted to surrender to harmful things, or when selfishness clings to my clothes and won’t let go. I need your strength to say yes, when cowardice and fear nudge me to deny the convictions of my heart. I need your strength to reach out in love to those both close to me and all around me. When don’t I need your strength, God?
You are my rock, and I run to you today, believing that you will lift up my heavy arms, that you will fuel me for the tasks you’ve given me, and that your joy will completely consume the weakness of my life and make me strong again. I don’t want to stay grounded, crippled by limitations and failed attempts. I’m tired of feeble efforts. Lord, I want to mount up with wings like an eagle and not just fly. I want to soar.
Renew my strength, Lord. Fill me with your supernatural power to overcome each obstacle in my path. With my eyes on you, Lord, with you walking beside me, working through me, I can make it. Thank you, Lord!
In Jesus’s name, Amen
A Prayer for Strength and Encouragement
Lord, like David, I need your encouragement in a time of trial and anguish. Thank you that you are always on the throne, always my God, ready to save. Thank you for being the same God to me that you were to David. Thank you for always being near and always rescuing me from my fears and hurts. Lord, help me remember that daybreak might be just ahead, that this trial will not last forever. Fill me with hope that daybreak is coming and that your love will always prevail! In Jesus’ Name, Amen!
~ A Good Thing Devotional
A Prayer for Strength to Endure
Lord, I am weary and don’t know when this “race” will end in my life. I feel like I’ve been running forever, trying to outrun this trial. Help me to stop trying to outrun my pain but rather run with endurance the race you have set before me. I know that because of you I am ultimately a victor over the trials in my life. I know that nothing in this world can separate me from your steadfast love. Please give me a measure of your love today; give me the strength to endure this trial. Thank you for your love for me that never ends! And thank you for the crown of joy that awaits me forever in your Kingdom!
~ Adrian Rogers, Love Worth Finding
What are you praying for strength for today? Join our large praying community in the comments below and experience the power, hope, and comfort of being joined in prayer!
Here are more Prayers for Strength when you need God to lift you up in hard times!
Additional Prayer Resources
Here is a collection of some of our favorite Bible verses about the promises of God’s strength. May these give you hope and encouragement to persevere with a bold confidence! Find the complete list at BibleStudyTools.com’s Scripture page.
- “He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.” ~ Isaiah 40:29
- “those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” ~ Isaiah 40:31
- “But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me.” ~ 2 Corinthians 12:9
- “God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble.” ~ Psalm 46:1
- “The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him. The LORD is the strength of his people, a fortress of salvation for his anointed one.” ~ Psalm 28:7-8
Rebecca Barlow Jordan is an inspirational author, speaker, and passionate follower of Jesus who loves to encourage others heart to heart. She has written 11 books and over 1700 other articles, greeting cards, and other inspirational pieces. Her daily devotional Daily in Your Presence is available for delivery through Crosswalk.com. You can find out more about Rebecca at www.rebeccabarlowjordan.com.
Publication date: August 4, 2015, Updated: January 22,2018
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
“Peanuts” was a famous cartoon strip that may just be the most prolific cartoon of all time. It made “Charlie Brown” and “Snoopy” household names. Although they are the two most famous characters in the group, there was a lesser known kid named Pig-Pen. If you’re familiar with the cartoon, I’ll bet you’re familiar with Pig-Pen.
Pig-Pen was constantly surrounded by a cloud of dust and dirt. No matter what he seemed to do, he was dirty. If he washed, it took only a few moments before he was dirty again. He embraced it and the people around him did too.
There are real people sort of like Pig-Pen, except instead of being surrounded by dirt, they’re surrounded by drama. Do you know someone like this? Is it you?
God’s design doesn’t guarantee happiness. It isn’t a vaccine for drama, hurt, loss, or pain. However, as we grow closer and closer to God, our actions will reflect it. We’ll choose forgiveness over revenge. We’ll choose kindness instead of apathy. We’ll give grace instead of punishment.
Slowly and surely, this new path leads us to righteousness. That righteousness will bring more peace (and less drama) into our lives.
Isaiah 32:17 says:
And the effect of righteousness will be peace, and the result of righteousness, quietness and trust forever.
This is really important. Our world is crazy. It is sinful. People are broken. But when you consistently choose the path of righteousness, you’ll see a change. You will change and those closest to you will change. Instead of reacting to the world, you’ll be more in control of your thoughts and actions. When you are guided by the Lord you’ll make better decisions. Scripture will teach you more and make more sense to you.
Maybe it’s been a long time since you’ve felt stable. Maybe you’ve forgotten what it’s like to have clear thoughts. Perhaps you don’t even know what it would feel like to not be driven from one stressor to the other.
Righteousness will give you peace. You can hear yourself thing. Finally, when you notice this difference, you will trust in the Lord. Following Him and seeking His glory brings you peace.
Let’s pray a prayer of righteousness and peace.
Dear loving and gracious Father,
My life is chaotic. I’m stressed. I’m broken. Secretly I fear that the next move I make will be the one that starts an avalanche of chaos.
God I know that your way is the right way. Please fill me with your Holy Spirit. Comfort me and hold me close to you. Teach me your ways. When I read your word, help it to make sense to me. Lead me down the path of righteousness.
I want to make better decisions. I want to help others. Please take my burdens so that I’m not going from one fire to the next. I want the path of righteousness.
You are the only grantor of true peace. I trust in You alone God. Please give my heart rest and give my mind clarity. Allow me to be still in your presence. I trust you and want to be closer to you, amen.
Prayer for Healing and Strength
Father, thank you that you sent your Son to bring me life
Life in the fullness
Life for eternity
Thank you that I share in Christ’s resurrection life
That Christ is alive in me
And His Spirit dwells deeply in my being
Right now I receive your healing
I receive the same power that raised Christ from the grave
I receive Your life
I receive Your strength
Thank you that all things are possible for those who believe
Thank you that you are moving in me right now
May I continue to receive from you
This hour and every hour.
Prayer for Strength When Grieving
Lord, at the moment nothing seems to be able to help the loss I feel.
My heart is broken and my spirit mourns.
All I know is that Your grace is sufficient.
This day, this hour
Moment by moment
I choose to lean on You,
For when I am at my weakest Your strength is strongest.
I pour out my grief to You
And praise You that on one glorious day
When all suffering is extinguished and love has conquered
We shall walk together again.
A Prayer for Strength to Cope with Physical Illness
Lord, you know me inside and out.
You know about my pain and distress,
you understand the fears of my heart.
At the cross you endured unabating agony.
You have gone before me into the darkness
And emerged in power and glory.
At this time I lean on You
I draw my strength from Your endless love
And live in Your limitless grace
Trusting in You.
Prayer for Strength and Guidance
Lord, I reach out to you for your guidance.
Please show me which way to turn.
Calm my anxious thoughts, come speak into my mind.
Strengthen me as I falter and feel weary.
May I feel strength rising up within my heart.
Bring clarity into my visions and dreams.
I trust that you are with me, no matter where I go,
Or what I decide to do.
You journey with me always.
Prayer for Strength During Difficult Times
Father, this world sometimes bewilders me and is beyond my understanding.
I see poverty and disease, storms and earthquakes, war and killing.
Many hearts are bound by ego and fear.
Please strengthen my faith in your higher purpose and open my mind to the truth that everything is unfolding according to your divine plan.
Let compassion and love for my brothers and sisters flow from me and may we all be uplifted by your glory. AMEN.
See More Slideshows
Click on a picture to enjoy more inspiring photos and stories.