Caring for different people every single day can take a toll on nurses. This goes particularly true with nurses working on the pediatric ward. Since patients in this area are more vulnerable to stress, pain and discomfort, it’s not enough for nurses to concentrate on their physical needs. Sending out prayers can help, too because inevitably, it’s so easy for these small people to capture our hearts again and again.
Below are some of the most powerful prayers for a sick child.
Prayer For A Sick Child In The Hospital
You’re with us.
Though you are not seen,
We know that you stay by our side.
You love us,
More than we could know,
And you feel each tear that we cry.
We trust you,
To take hold of our hands,
Until we’re recovered and well.
You promise to,
Comfort and care,
Until we are laughing and playing again.
Thank you Jesus.
Prayer To Restore A Sick Child’s Health
O Lord God, I come to You for help and succor.
You have afflicted my child .
Help me to understand that You mean well.
Give me grace to bear my child’s affliction with patience and strength.
Bless me, O Father, and restore my child to health.
Do not forsake us, but give us an assurance of Your loving Kingdom.
Bless this illness to me and my child , and help us both to be better children of Yours because of it.
In the name of Your Holy Son Jesus Christ. Amen!
Prayer To St. Nicholas For A Sick Child
Saint Nicholas, who like the Savior,
loved children so tenderly and gave generously to those in need,
listen to us who plead for this sick child
who is so dear to our hearts.
We thank God for the great gift of our child
and we pray that He relieve this child of pain
and free him/her from suffering.
Obtain strength when he/she is weary,
hope when discouraged,
and joy when downhearted.
May the Lord, through your intercession,
restore perfect health if such be His divine will.
These favors, we beg of you through your love for all children.
Prayer For A Sick Child Through St. Gerard
St. Gerard, who, like the Savior, loved children so tenderly and by your prayers freed many from disease and even death, listen to us who are pleading for our sick child. We thank God for the great gift of our son/daughter and ask Him to restore our child to health if such be His holy will. This favour, we beg of you through your love for all children and mothers.
Short Prayer for A Sick Child
Heavenly Father, watch over our child, and grant that he may be restored to that perfect health which it is yours alone to give; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Prayer For A Sick Child With Chronic Illness
Dear God, I pray for (child’s name) as he/she deals with this (specific illness) so often. I know You are the Master Healer and that You also provide times that are symptom-free for this dear little one. Please comfort and protect this dear child during this hard time. Help them to know that they can come to You for the peace and health that only You can provide. Please be with the doctors as they continually study to find medicines and treatments that will comfort those that suffer from chronic illnesses. I leave this in Your precious hands oh God my Father. Amen
See Also: 9 Powerful Healing Prayers for Cancer Patients
Prayer For A Sick Child With Threatening Illness
Lord I come to You today to present (child’s name) to You. This very deadly sickness that is upon him/her is very sad to all who know and love him/her. I know that in times like this his/her Mommy and Daddy are in despair. Please keep them strong in You so that they can be a comfort to this dear little child. Please keep (child’s name) from being scared of what is happening all around him/her. I ask Your mercy so that pain would be minimal or nonexistence. I love this small and fragile little child. Bestow Your grace and peace to them and all who love them. I pray this in Jesus name, Amen.
Prayer To Bring Healing To A Child
Lord, you love our child as You love all children, Bring healing to our child who is not well. Stay by his side and comfort him through this trying time. Keep us ever mindful of Your loving presence Bless us with Your powerful healing and comfort us also. Thank You for hearing our prayer!
See Also: 20 Short But Effective Prayers for Surgery
Before we go to sleep tonight, let’s offer a heartfelt prayer for a sick child somewhere out there.
♥ Connect with NurseBuff on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!
by Sharon (Arizona)
Please pray for this precious little girl.
Please Lord we ask that you heal Hope, that you come into her and take away illness, pain, or any fears associated with her cancer.
Lord we beg you to spare this child any suffering. Please Lord guide this family let them feel your amazing power and grace, bestow upon them the love, faith and guidance they will need to conquer these trials, we praise you Lord.
In Jesus name Amen
Thank you everyone who prays this prayer!
Table of contents
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer For a Sick Child”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Health Issues – Please bless my four leg daughter (Cat) Shandy with good health and happiness forever. She’s finding herself lonely.
- Sick child – Please pray for my son Uzor who is suffering from mental illness and he is in the hospital.
- Prayer for pain – I ask for prayers for my daughter she has chest pain. Thank you
- Restore my good health – The perfection of God is expressed through me. The idea of perfect health is now filling my subconscious mind. The image God has of me …
- Restore health – Pray for Nellie that her health is restored in JESUS name this my mom who helped her mom my dad her sister now need the …
- Heal my precious young son – Hello, I ask to anyone that can find it in their heart to pray for the healing and health of my precious 9year old son. …
- Prayer for my sick son – As my 11 month old son Rushat is suffering with the severe pneumonia and he is in icu from last 15 days kindly requesting you …
- Healing – In the name of jesus ..please heal Abbas from Cancer.
- Prayer for healing – Please Lord touch my children that are struggling with illness, strife , and addiction . Touch and heal my oldest son who has battled years …
- Prayers for SK – Please send prayers for my great grandson Sawyer who was born early because his mother was addicted and died yesterday. He is very critical with …
- Prayers for our Soldier – Heavenly Father Please pray for our daughter Sarah that she be healed of this awful, 2nd round of Brain Cancer that has stopped her in …
- Prayers for our baby girl – We are asking for prayers for our one-month old baby girl Jo. She has been diagnosed with RSV and we are currently at a pediatric …
- My niece – My sister had a surgery recently and after the recovery she was released to go home as soon as my sister got home she called …
- Prayer for my son – I am requesting prayer for my son Jack Schneider as we are headed to the ER in order for him to submit & get help …
- Prayer for healing – Father God heal my child
- Please help me to protect my babies from illnesses – Please be cure my darling daughter from fever and protect my 4day old baby from that. I am so much confused. Please help us god.
- Prayer for Clarissa – Dear Lord, You are the greatest healer and I give you praise. I place my 8 months old niece, ( Clarissa ) who is undergoing …
- Heal my child – Father god please heal my child Kimora who suffers from cerebral palsy please heal her brain and take away her seizures please keep her healthy …
- Total healing for my son – I pray and ask Heavenly God to heal my son of perinatal asphyxia and to allow my son have stability health wise. So that he …
- Holly – Dear God, please help Holly find her inner self. Help to find her strength to life a whole complete life knowing You have great plans …
- Heal my son from schizophrenia – I pray that God the Father, Jesus His Son and the Holy Spirit will heal my son Charles. I pray for intercessory prayer by the …
- Prayer for Olona – Heavenly Father, I present Olona to You who has just been admitted to hospital. Lord we know that you love children, please spare her from …
- Health – I pray that my son Dante who has down syndrome will be strong and break norms of the society about disability. He must be god’s …
- Health prayer – Please pray for my grandson who is only 2 and has pneumonia. He also has asthma, a heart murmur and a rare blood disorder.
- Get well daughter – Dear God and blessed Mother Mary, please be with my Jillie. Please she is only 24 and and needs to make a Complete recovery from …
- Prayers for Penny – Penny goes into surgery on 3.7.18 for a mass biopsy and removal. Please send prayers for a safe surgery and positive outcome. Thank you all
- Healing – Kindly please pray for my niece nia Greene who is having severe belly pain right now she is hospitalized and receiving Iv treatment.praying for it …
- Healing – Please pray for my daughter Stevey Lynn (11 years old) she has been feeling tired, and the other day she blacked out with shortness of …
- Prayer for sons health – Please pray for my son. He has blood clots in leg and lung. He has a blood clotting factor. Pray that the doctor gets him …
- J’Ziah Healing Prayer – Father God, I pray for J’Ziah as he deals with this virus, fever, or flu like cold. I know You are the Master Healer for …
- Pleurisy – My son Ricky has been suffering with pleurisy for about 12 to 14 years. He ends up in the hospital almost every year. The pain …
- For my baby – My baby will delivery next month..But scan report baby have congenital diaphragmatic hernia..After delivery need surgery..till now I don’t have money…This surgery it will take …
- Healing – My teenager was hit in the head today playing football and went unconscious for a few seconds, he has a concussion but is doing well …
- Paw Paw Clarence Jr. and MAWMAW Eve – Dear God, Teach me to be gracious through whatever situations arise. I may not receive piles of money, but I will be dignified. I am …
- My daughter – My daughter has been diagnosed with a very painful disease. She is about to lose her mind in pain. Other than surgery with no guarantee …
- Pray for my nephew – Please for my nephew he has a fever and I pray that it goes away Jesus I ask humbly that you touch his body and …
- Fast recovery – Pls pray for Luke to recover for all he has gone heal his lungs
- Prayers for frail new born – Please pray for my great niece who was born too early (at 24 weeks) and is having a hard time beating the odds against her. …
- Prayer for Maya – Please pray for my Grand daughter Maya who is in the hospital suffering through some awful procedures. Thank you. God Bless.
- Prayer for Maya – Please pray for my Grand daughter Maya who is in the hospital suffering through some awful procedures. Thank you. God Bless.
- Son taken to er, – Dear Father in Heaven, My Son is at the er, Please find out what he what is making light headed, stumbling on his feet, and …
- Daughter – Dear lord, Please heal my 7 month old baby who was hospitalize a week ago due to 3 viruses. The thoughtnof seeing her with tubes …
In a previous post, Praying for a Sick Child, I shared the story of my son’s heart surgery, how God answered my whole-hearted request, and graciously taught me how to pray.
Our God, proving once again how real he is . . . providing glaring evidence of his existence.
Today I want to share a prayer (based on scripture) for parents to use as they pray for a sick child – because sometimes the words are impossible to find when the diagnosis is incomprehensible.
I know the reality of hurting so badly you can’t find words to pray. There was a time in my life when I just sat in silence before God. That, in and of itself, was prayer.
Coming empty. Devoid of words. Wasted in strength. Placing ourselves before the throne of grace.
In those times when the diagnosis is heart-breaking and we can’t find words, God hears our hearts.
When the words won’t come, friends and family can stand in the gap – uttering those concerns with lips able to speak on our behalf.
As you read this prayer, you’ll see scripture addresses. I’m not including links to those addresses like I normally do. The reason? If you’re in a crisis situation, the best thing is for you to put your hands on a physical Bible, crack open its pages, and drink in the words. As you do, you create opportunities for God to lead you to other verses that might be helpful.
Take his words to heart. They. Are. Life.
As you pray, remember how important it is for you and your spouse to be united as you pray for a sick child. Carry your child to God together.
A Prayer When Your Child is Seriously Ill
Strong and Faithful Father,
My heart is breaking for my child, (insert child’s name here). The weight of this situation is so heavy it’s difficult to breathe. My words choke out in fragments. Sometimes they don’t come at all. Articulating thoughts requires more energy than I have, so I just sit in silence.
My strength is gone. I’m anxious, Father. This situation doesn’t make sense to me. My child, (insert name here), is so innocent and vulnerable. I don’t understand why this is happening.
Help me to trust you with (child’s name) life . . . with every aspect of this situation . . . with all the pieces of my life. Keep me from attempting to rely on my own understanding because there is no way to understand this.
Help me trust you with all my heart – not just part of it. I acknowledge that everything in the heavens and earth – everything that is precious to me including (child’s name) – belongs to you. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
This is your kingdom not mine. I adore you and recognize you are in control of everything. (1 Chronicles 29:11; 1)
Your ways are higher than my ways. Your thoughts are higher than my thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-10; Romans 11:33-34)
You are good, loving, and faithful. It’s absolutely impossible for you to do evil or to do wrong. Help me to believe this in the depths of my soul during this time. (Deut. 32:4; Job 34:10; 1 John 1:5; Psalm 86:15; Psalm 100:5)
Thank you God for remaining faithful even when I act faithless in my pain. Your love, presence, power, and promises are not dependent on my behavior. (2 Timothy 2:13)
You understand my pain. (Isaiah 53:3)
Give us strength because we are flat out weary. Help us run this grueling race with perseverance and never give up.
Help us keep our eyes glued to Jesus, our champion, who perfects our faith. In him all things hold together. We will depend on him to hold us together no matter what comes. (Colossians 1:17, Hebrews 12:1-3)
Father, I love and adore (child’s name). Thank you for entrusting (child’s name) to me. It is such a privilege being (child’s name) parent. I humbly ask you to bring complete healing to (child’s name) and make (child’s name) physically whole if that’s your will.
If it isn’t your will for (child’s name) to heal during his/her time on earth, I will still love, serve, and follow you.
I know that you are for (child’s name), not against (child’s name). No illness, disease, disappointment or setback – nothing in all the world – can separate (child’s name) from your love. (Romans 8:35-39)
I ask you to protect (child’s name) emotionally and spiritually. Give (child’s name) the strength he/she needs for each moment, each test, each prod, each pill, each surgery. (Luke 11:1-4) With your great love, drive out all (child’s name) fear and comfort (child’s name). 1 John 4:18
Even though I can’t see it now, I believe that in all things you work for the good of those who love you. No matter what happens, you will bring beauty from the ashes of this time. (Romans 8:28-29; Isaiah 61:3)
I thank you God for continuing to work good in me, transforming me into your image, and perfecting me until the day Jesus returns. Use this struggle, Father, for your glory and renown. (Philippians 1:6; 2 Corinthians 3:18)
Thank you for being with (child’s name) in the fire. There is always hope with you. (Genesis 50:20; 2 Peter 3;9; Isaiah 43:2; Isaiah 61:3)
I submit myself, this situation, and (child’s name) to you, God – 100%. I trust you with the outcome. I will rely on your strength completely.
I pray these things in the name of Jesus.
If you have a sick child, I’m truly sorry for your suffering. I know what it feels like, and wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Please let me know how I can pray for you and your family.
If you or someone you know has a child with a congenital heart defect, check out Mended Little Hearts for support, education, and to determine where parents of children with a CHD are meeting in your area.
Other links you might like:
Scriptures to Pray Over Your Family
Children usually ask mall Santas for toys and games, but 4-year-old Prestyn Barnette hoped his Santa would help deliver something much more profound.
His aunt, Rebekah Sharpe, posted an Instagram photo Sunday of the boy lowering his head and kneeling beside a Santa at the Dutch Square Mall in Columbia, South Carolina. Sharpe says the boy asked the gift-giver to pray for the health of a sick baby named Knox Stine, a 2-month-old boy who’s been fighting for his life at Sunrise Children’s Hospital in Las Vegas.
Within hours of its posting, Sharpe’s photo of Presytn’s genuflect warmed hearts and prompted shares on social media. “It’s amazing to see the response,” Sharpe told TODAY.com via email Tuesday. “It was completely unexpected. And it is such a blessing to see so many people praying for baby Knox!”
According to NBC News’ affiliate in Columbia, South Carolina, Prestyn also asked for a Lionel train set, and had learned about Knox through his grandmother, who’s part of a prayer group on Facebook.
Knox’s mother, Mindi Stine, told TODAY.com on Tuesday she and her husband, Carl, have been moved by Presytn’s gesture ever since they saw Sharpe’s photo Sunday on the Stines’ public Facebook page for Knox.
Courtesy of Mindi Stine
The Stine family has been praying for the recovery of newborn Knox, center, who was found “unresponsive” by his father, Carl, on Nov. 30.
“I never met them,” Mindi said. “I don’t know them. I don’t know how they know of us or heard of us or anything, but I recognized their names, and I knew that they had said that they were praying for baby Knox, and for a miracle for us. … I showed my husband , and we both just smiled at each other, like, ‘Something amazing is happening.’ It was just beautiful.”
Mindi said that on Nov. 30, her husband Carl found Knox unresponsive and not breathing, and revived the newborn via CPR while speaking with a 911 operator. Knox was airlifted 100 miles from their home in Kingman, Arizona, to Sunrise Children’s Hospital in Las Vegas, where they’ve remained ever since to monitor the health of their fourth child.
Courtesy of Mindi Stine
The inspiration for a 4-year-old boy’s prayer beside a mall Santa, 2-month-old Knox Stine has been fighting for his life in a Las Vegas hospital.
Despite being “declared brain dead” on the first exam, Knox has been fighting to stay alive, his mom said. “When removed life-support, and were just staring at him, he started to take breaths on his own,” she said. That breathing, however, was not “life-sustaining” or consistent, she said, so the family continues to hope for a miracle.
“At that point, they told us we have two choices: We can take him off life-support and let nature take its course, or we could choose to help him,” Mindi added. “I prayed afterward for wisdom, and searched through the scriptures in our Bible and we knew that God wanted us to choose life for Knox and go forward with surgery.”
Knox received a tracheotomy and a feeding tube Friday. Two days later, Prestyn would ask Santa to pray for the newborn, 2,200 miles away.
Mindi believes every prayer counts. “We don’t even have words to express how we feel, and how thankful we are,” she added. “We have confidence and we have faith that God is going to work a miracle for Knox. He has so many people asking him for that.”
In addition to the prayers and kind words the Stine family has received, Mindi expressed thanks to friends and strangers who donated to a GoFundMe fundraising page established by one of Carl’s coworkers. Mindi said Carl took three months of unpaid leave while the family deals with their medical emergency. Launched Dec. 3, the page had collected more than 200 donations totaling over $11,000 as of Tuesday afternoon.
“We’re just in awe in everyone’s giving spirit,” Mindi added. “We’ve been here since the 30th, and we just don’t know what that means on the financial end of things. It’s the last thing on my mind, to be honest, but it is reality. … But I’ve had so many people reach out to us, ‘I want to send Christmas gifts.’ People have been bringing us food here in the hospital. It’s just been amazing.”
Although Knox’s recovery remains the Stine family’s primary focus, they were so touched by Prestyn’s gesture that they decided to take care of his other request to Santa.
“My dad just bought that train for him,” Mindi said. “I was like, ‘Oh, Dad, that’s sweet. Thanks for thinking of that.’ … We just appreciate the prayers of God’s people, the way they’ve offered them up to God, begging God for a miracle for our baby boy.”
Hopefully, both of Prestyn’s prayers will come true.
Follow TODAY.com writer Chris Serico on Twitter.
Do you know or have a little one who’s helpful and kind? Go to SproutOnline.com to submit your little one’s kind act and it could be featured on Sprout.
This post is part of NBCU’s Season of Kindness. Follow the series on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. #ShareKindness