Prayers for overcoming addiction are scriptural based prayers designed to break the backbone of any addiction. If you are addicted to drugs, alcohol, cigarette, sex, gambling or something else and you are looking for a way out or maybe you are just searching for prayers to pray for a loved one who is addicted to one thing or the other, here is a list of prayers that you can pray while trusting in God to bring total deliverance.
Spiritually speaking, most of the things we call addictions today are actually the manifestation of demonic spirit of self-destruction. The demons of addiction enter into someone’s life because the person invited them in the name of pleasure. Perhaps that is the reason why it is usually difficult for the addicted to get out of their addiction. Whatever may be the situation, the name of Jesus is here to set you or your loved ones free.
Scripture Reading: Romans 7:22-25, Mark 5:2-15
Praise, Worship and Thanksgiving
Start by singing songs of praise unto the Lord if you know how to sing, if not go ahead and give thanks unto the Lord who is worthy to receive all glory and honour.
- Heavenly Father, I thank you for keeping me alive to this day.
- I thank you almighty God for what you are set to do as I pray about this addiction
- I thank you Jesus for your mercies and faithfulness.
- Everlasting father, I give you praise and honour.
Prayer against Addiction
- Almighty God, I come before you today, please forgive me of every sin of drug addiction, sex addiction, e.t.c, that I have committed against my body (1Corinthians 6:18, 1John 1:9) and against you in the name of Jesus.
- Everlasting father I surrender my life to you, please take total and absolute control of my life as from today in the name of Jesus.
- Father my body, soul and spirit I commit into your hand, please cleanse me with the blood of Jesus in the name of Jesus (1John 1:7).
- It is written, “call upon me in the day of trouble: I will deliver thee and thou shall glorify me” (Psalm 50:15). Father, deliver me from evil spirit of addiction to (name your addiction e.g. alcohol) that I have invited to my life in the name of Jesus.
- I renounce and reject every spirit of addiction to (name your addiction e.g. drug). Heavenly father uproot all form of addiction to (name your addiction e.g. drug) from my life in the name of Jesus (Matthew 15:13).
- Father, remove from me the heart of stone that is panting after (name your addiction e.g. drug) in the name of Jesus (Ezekiel 36:26).
- Father, create in me a new heart and a new spirit that will be addicted to nothing but the word of God in the name of Jesus (Ezekiel 36:26-27)
- Heavenly father, please fill me with the fullness of the Holy Spirit in the name of Jesus (Luke 11:13).
- Lord, as I make conscious effort to do without e.g. cigarette, please release to me the supernatural power to hate cigarette and never indulge in it again in the name of Jesus.
- Lord of Host, please deliver me from every spirit of self-destruction that pretend to be addiction in the name of Jesus.
- Heavenly Father, you have created me for your glory (Isaiah 43:7), please help me so that I can be use for your glory on this earth in the name of Jesus.
- Please note that the first step towards overcoming addiction is to let Christ dwell in you. The scripture says, in 2Corinthians 5:17 “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new”. Without Jesus Christ in your life, you may not be able to overcome that addiction. Here is an opportunity for you to surrender your life to Christ. Please say this short prayer of salvation so that Jesus Christ can begin to live in you.
- I recommend that these prayers be prayed loudly, fervently and consistently until there is a significant change in the life of the addict.
Thanks for reading.
Image by: freedigitalphotos.net
Last year, our counseling center held a one-day workshop with a southern California pastor named Joe Johnson. Pastor Johnson (aka Papa Joe) share his many years of experience about inner healing prayer and deliverance. As a counselor specializing in sexual addiction, I have witnessed the sexual strongholds of many men that have been engaged in years of pornography and sexual activities. Pastor Joe taught in both information and also by example; praying for each counselor and non-counselor that attended the workshop.
After the workshop, I asked Pastor Joe to email me different prayers that could be used for both inner healing and also for deliverance. I would pass this information onto both local pastors and clients that were interested in learning how to pray for healing and deliverance. The prayers came from different books and presentations that Pastor Joe came across over the last years of his ministry. These prayers can be done on a regular basis when temptation is strong for yourself or someone else. It isn’t a “fix all” for sexual struggles but represents a way of surrendering yourself to God, committing to living a life under the lordship of Jesus, and desiring a heart and mind free from sexual sin.
The Two Become One Flesh
The main idea is that when two people join physical, spiritually and emotionally outside of marriage, the two become one flesh in an unholy union. This unholy union through sexual sin brings spiritual confusion and spiritual ties that will remain until broken through the power of Jesus Christ. Here is one prayer for spiritual ties to be broken using the power and blood of Jesus:
“In the name of Jesus Christ and by the power of His cross and blood, I take the sword of the Spirit and cut __________ free from ________ (first names). I cut him/her free from these people physically, spiritually, emotionally, and mentally. I also cut him/her free from everyone with whom those people have had sexual relations. We place the cross and the blood of Jesus between ________ and each of these people. I pray for a cleaning of _________’s mind, body and spirit. Fill __________ with the power of Your Holy Spirit, that he/she may walk in Your abundant grace and mercy. Fill him/her with Your love, that it may permeate all dark and lonely places. Most of all Jesus, help ___________ to know how much You love him/her and how special he/she is to You. In Jesus’ precious name. Amen.”
Anyone Christian Can Prayer Powerfully
I believe anyone can pray this prayer. You don’t have to be “religious” or “super spiritual” or even one that is feeling close to God. I do believe that you will need to have asked Jesus for forgiveness of your sins, surrendering your life to His Lordship, and have been Born Again. Don’t be surprised if you hear lies from the pit of hell that this won’t work, it is stupid, or “who are you to pray this prayer?” I encourage you to forge ahead and prayer it often.
Gordon Dalbey’s prayer in “Father And Son” (p.66) is also good for sexual sin:
“Father, I confess the sin of fornication with (names of women and men), and I ask Your forgiveness. In the name of Jesus, I now renounce all bonds of the flesh with (women’s or men’s names); and take the sword of the Spirit and cut all remaining spiritual ties between us. I ask for Your blood, Jesus, to cover and cleanse me from all attraction and wounds there, and I release those women/men to You for Your purposes in their lives apart from me. and I put myself in Your hands, Jesus, to bond me to my spouse alone.”
Of Leopards and People…
“A leopard can’t change its spots.” This old clich. is true of leopards, but is it also true of people? Particularly those with sexually spotted lives? Many a man has been told, “You’ll never change.” Many women hear, “You are a bad seed.” Do you think it’s impossible for people to change… or perhaps that you can’t change? The Bible says, “With God all things are possible” (Matthew 19:26). Even if you feel that your mind and your heart are defiled, remember that God is a Redeemer—He is your Deliverer!
“You have delivered my soul from death, my eyes from tears, my feet from stumbling; I will walk before the LORD in the land of the living.” -Psalm 116:8–9
Q: “Can those who have been caught in the snare of sexual addiction be set free?”
Yes! God’s Word gives absolute assurance that anyone can be set free.
“My eyes are ever toward the LORD, for he will pluck my feet out of the net.” -Psalm 25:15
Q: “Although I am a Christian, I still have a problem with lust. Now that I know God loves me and has given me eternal life, having these desires makes me feel even worse. Why do I keep wanting to do these things that I know are wrong?”
Paul spoke to this very problem in Romans 7:21–24 when he said, “I find it to be a law that when I want to do right, evil lies close at hand. For I delight in the law of God, in my inner being, but I see in my members another law waging war against the law of my mind and making me captive to the law of sin that dwells in my members. Wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death?” Paul goes on to answer his own question by saying the answer is Jesus—relying on the Spirit of Christ, who lives within you, to be your source of power for change (verse 25). If you have accepted Christ to be your Lord and Savior, He will give you His divine power to overcome sin.
“You, however, are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if in fact the Spirit of God dwells in you.” -Romans 8:9
Key Verse to Memorize
“Flee from sexual immorality. Every other sin a person commits is outside the body, but the sexually immoral person sins against his own body.” -1 Corinthians 6:18
Key Passage to Read and Reread
1 Thessalonians Chapter 4
Click here for the PDF version of the complete Sexual Addiction & Pornography Resource Guide provided by Hope for the Heart.
Bri’s Freedom StoryAlleluu Page
5 năm trước
Bri struggled with addiction for 14 years. She never thought she could tell anyone. Especially “church-people.” Her brave story will inspire you. Feel free to share …
Tìm kiếm liên quan đến Overcoming sexual addiction
Sadhguru on Compulsive SexualityIsha USA
3 năm trước
To overcome compulsive behavior, one needs to engage in a conscious process. One should be more aware of compulsive forces that influence this negative …
Joseph Prince | How to Overcome SinTBN
Joseph Prince explains that when we trust and live by the righteousness of God, we are able to receive the blessings and power that He has for our lives.