Having children makes a mother feel so vulnerable. Of course you love your child, and while we can’t control everything, we can surely pray for everything. Here are my best prayers for moms.
I recently read something from Leslie Ludy that really impacted me. She said that during busy times of motherhood we shouldn’t let our prayer life hit the back burner. She said it’s the times we barely have time to pray that we actually need prayer the most.
In fact, it’s during these times we can’t afford to not pray!
Lately I’ve been thinking about what my kids will face as they grow up and I’m determined, among the “urgency” of daily life, to pray for specific things in their future. Not just who they’ll marry or what they’ll be when they grow up (although these are great prayers) but for other less obvious things.
Here are the things I think all moms should pray for their children.
1. Timely wisdom
The first consistent prayer I prayed with my firstborn – that God routinely answered – was for timely wisdom. I asked that God would lead me to the right person, bit of advice, tip or hunch that would help me manage life with a child. Without fail I’d hear someone offer how they did things, read a certain passage in a book, or have a light bulb moment and BHAM… opportunity to put it into practice.
I now pray God will give me timely wisdom so that I can do my best to do what’s best for each child as they grow and change. It doesn’t mean there aren’t hurdles (trouble will come… John 16:33), but that I can see God actively moving in our day to day life.
2. God would keep them on a short leash
The pastor at my former church said he routinely prayed God would keep their son on a short leash. That his sins wouldn’t remain hidden and undiscovered. “Ha ha ha, poor kid,” I thought at the time, but now I see what they were getting at. Sin thrives in darkness! Trouble that’s hidden can multiply without intervention.
Now… I don’t mean that I need to keep my children on a short leash. I just pray that God would never let them stray too far without shining a light. We must teach our children and guide them in wisdom and discernment, but I think this prayer is just another level of protection. You teach your children not to walk into traffic, but you still hold their hands at busy intersections, don’t you?
3. Avoid the wrong crowd
If only parents could choose every person who has influence over our children… Alas, we absolutely cannot. We can teach them to find friends of high character who are kind and fun, but we’re not with our children 24/7. The Bible is clear, “Do not be misled, bad company corrupts good character.” (1 Cor. 15:33). And we don’t want to raise foolish children or those who keep company of fools either.
I pray that my children will find friends who are encouraging, uplifting, and challenging. Not people who are just like them or cool or whatever else society says, but kids of good character. And I pray God will protect them from being attracted to the wrong crowds and getting sucked into groups and situations that cause their downfall.
4. Short accounts
My discipleship course leader used this phrase often…
“Keep short accounts.”
It meant to not let uneasy situations, unresolved conflicts, decisions, or problems linger until they become mountains. Don’t let misunderstandings become feuds. One grievance needn’t mean the end of a friendship. I pray that my children will learn to make the decisions weighing heavy on their shoulders. To forgive quickly when appropriate, and to be willing to confront in love in a timely manner.
It’s easier to move on from a situation when it hasn’t taken up permanent residence in your brain for decades. I don’t want my children going into adulthood with unnecessary baggage. There will be hard times that will scar the most resilient of people, so being able to let go of these weights will help them be more free as adults.
5. God would be real to them
We don’t have to “prove God exists” on our own to our children. Luckily, God is perfectly able and willing to prove He exists if we give Him opportunity in our home. Psalm 3:8 says “Salvation belongs to the Lord.” Whew. That’s a load off. Because it’s enough to feed them, clothe them, and daily dispose of their bodily fluids without also being single-handedly responsible for their salvation.
It is most definitely my job to create an environment in our home where God is welcome and where His principles are taught and followed. Where love is shown, grace is given, and where people are loved and welcome no matter what they believe or do. But I also pray that God would answer their prayers. That He’d speak to them through the Bible and dreams. That they would know deep deep down in their own hearts that He is real. And that He is for them.
We do our job as parents and then we must leave the rest to God.
Luckily, He’s up to the challenge.
I’ve written a printable book with prayers for your children in 10+ areas of life. It’s popular and can be printed and kept in your prayer journal or bible so you can pull it out for quick bullet prayers. It’s called Praying Over Your Child.
I’ve created a free email series just for you! Mothers have a hard job. It’s a privilege and a joy, but the days can be long and life can make us weary. This email series is a 15 day devotional (all encouragement, no homework) that includes a Scripture, thought, and prayer. Countless women have said it was, day after day, the right word in the right season.
Click here to sign up for my free email series or simply click on the image below.
New to this community? Start here, friend.
Moms in Prayer International gathers women together to pray for children and schools in 146 countries and all 50 US states. Come join us to impact the next generation for Christ!
Mothers around the world come together to passionately pray before God for the lives of their children in more than 140 countries. Imagine the impact of God answering prayers for a generation of children throughout the world.
Arise, cry out in the night, at the beginning of the night watches! Pour out your heart like water before the presence of the Lord! Lift your hands to him for the lives of your children, who faint for hunger at the head of every street. Lamentations 2:19 ESV
Prayer is a powerful tool that has great influence on our lives. Depending on your own approach, a mother’s birthday might not be complete without a little prayer to bless the occasion.
Give your mother a moment with her creator with our lovely birthday prayers for mother. A sweet prayer on her birthday will go a long way to bless her day and make it a memorable one. Below is a collection of impressive birthday prayers you can send your mother to grace her Big Day.
Birthday Prayers for your Mom
- Mom, as you celebrate your Big Day on this beautiful day, dance away all your problems, for God has great plans for you. May everything you lay your hands on be a success. Happy birthday.
- On this special day, I pray for good luck, prosperity and good health to combine forces and stand by you all the days of your life. Happy birthday, dear Mother.
- Happy birthday to a wonderful mother and friend. May the infinite love of God follow you and bring you countless phenomenally happy moments in life.
- Wishing you a happy birthday full of God’s grace and mercies upon your life. Have a fantastic day. Love you.
- May the good Lord lift you up where others have fallen. May you be increased where others have been decreased. May you succeed where others have failed. Happy birthday, Mother.
- As you wake up to see this day that the Lord has made, I pray you have a graceful birthday and happy life. Mother, may all the negative plans of your enemies against you never prosper. Have a beautiful day.
- Happy birthday to the sweetest mother on earth. May you enjoy the goodness of the Lord on your special day and on all the days of your beautiful life.
- Mom, celebrate your birthday knowing it shall be well with you all the days of your life. I pray that whatever you do prospers and fills you with happiness. Happy birthday.
- Wishing you a blessed and joyous birthday, dear Mother. As you celebrate this day, may God continue to pour out His grace and anointing upon you. Happy birthday.
- Hello Mom, it is your birthday today, and I want to say this little prayer for you. May you dwell in the amazing shelter of God’s protection all the days of your life, and may happiness always be your companion there. Have a blissful birthday celebration.
- Happy birthday, dear mother. As you embrace this beautiful year of your life, may happiness accompany you in every endeavor you pursue in life, and may God bless you so abundantly that you run out of space to store the blessings.
- Happy birthday, mother. I pray that God grant you good health, strength and riches beyond your wildest imaginations.
- Celebrating the world’s greatest mother today! I pray that every desire of your golden heart come to pass. I love you so much, but remember that God loves you even more! Happy birthday.
- As you have loved me from my childhood to this point, so shall the Lord envelope you in His richest love. Happy birthday to you, sweet Mom.
- Today, in addition to celebrating the phenomenal person that you are, I pray for your happiness, health and financial breakthrough in life. Have a blessed birthday, precious Mom.
- Saying a special prayer for you on your birthday, mother. Trust in the Lord with all your heart and He shall direct your path. Happy birthday.
- May each blessed day of your life accompany the divine love and blessings of God. Happy birthday, Mother, and have a fabulous day.
- Life can’t be without challenges, but when they do come, I hope the Heavens give you the strength to face them. May the will of God be done in your life. Happy birthday.
- Mom, may every prayer said for you on your birthday be answered by God, and may every desire of yours that is yet to materialize be fulfilled. Happy birthday.
- Happy birthday to the strongest woman I have ever known. Mom, you are more than a conqueror. May God grant you victory in every battle you face in your life.
- Dear mother, don’t be afraid of what tomorrow may bring to you. The Lord will guide and protect you all the days of your life on earth. Happy birthday to the best mom ever.
- The Heavens are filled with joy today because it is your birthday, sweet Mother. May God make smooth the path that you walk, and may He keep you hidden from the sight of your enemies. Happy birthday.
- May God never stop keeping you safe and happy in the palm of His mighty hand. Happy birthday.
- Through Jesus Christ our Lord, I pray for your health and happiness today and on all the days of your inspirational life. Happy birthday, Mom.
- I pray that God pour out his favor upon you on this wonderful day of yours. May He bless you with the strength and courage to overcome all obstacles and adversities in your way. Enjoy your day. Happy birthday mom.
- Dear mom, do not be discouraged by the adversities of life. The joy and love of God will be your hope today and forever. Happy birthday to you.
- I want to tell the whole world of how great a mother you are to me. May the light of God shine on you everywhere you find yourself. Happy birthday to my darling mom.
- May God always give you your daily bread and keep you protected and smiling. Happy birthday, Mom.
- Today I celebrate a special mother who is full of great wisdom and compassion. You have guided me through life with your counsel. Today, I pray that God answer all your prayers and bless you with the most important blessing in life – happiness. Happy birthday, Mom.
- If all mothers were like you, planet earth would be filled with such great families. I pray that you find happiness in the Lord every second of your wonderful life. Happy birthday, Mom.
- Wishing a super duper happy birthday to a truly inspirational mother. Today, I pray that you never lack anything in life and that you continue to reap the rewards of all the wonderful things you have done in this world.
- May every pain in you be healed. May every sadness in your heart be turned to happiness. May everything that has been taken away from you be restored by God. And most importantly may the joy of the Lord dwell in your heart forever. Happy birthday.
You May Also Like:
Birthday Images for Mom | A Collection to Be Truly Appreciated
Happy Birthday, Mom!
Best Mom in the World | Birthday Wishes for your Mother
I Love You Messages and Quotes for my Mother and Father
UNIQUE GIFT IDEAS
If you’re looking for great presents for all budgets, we have done the work for you.
Click here for the
best birthday gifts
for friends and loved ones.
If you liked what you read, please share it. It really helps us a lot.