Prayers For Lost Loved Ones
The loss of a loved one can be one of the most painful parts of life. Grief and mourning come in many different stages and it is easy to let emotion consume you during these difficult times. However, it is important to keep God close to your heart instead of pushing Him away. Remember that you need God now more than ever and He wants you to be happy again despite the loss and heartbreak you may feel.
In addition to losing a loved one yourself, it is also difficult to know how to help someone else who has lost someone close. One way to comfort them is to pray to God that they find peace and comfort in their time of need. With the love and reassurance God can provide, it is possible to ease the pain of those who are hurting. These 10 prayers can help you and your friends or family to cope with the loss of a loved one by asking God to pay close attention to them so they are able to move on.
Here, we have a prayer for family to ask for God’s help in strengthening a family’s bond. Sometimes, members of our families can be the cause of a lot of stress and worry.
Bring them closer to yourself, and God with this family prayer.
Table of contents
Prayer to Keep Family Together
Say this prayer to help bring your family closer together. Make sure to say the names of any family member you want included in the prayer. Your husband (or wife), sons, daughters, father or mother.
Use this prayer, and write your own at the bottom of this page.
A Prayer for Family
Please shine your light upon my family.
Give us strength to overcome all of the
difficulties that we are dealing with now
and protect us against any and all problems
we may encounter in the future.
O Lord, please bring us together as we
are meant to be. May the love that binds
us only grow stronger as we fulfill the destiny
you have laid out for us.
Grant my family forgiveness for any sins we
have committed. May we also forgive one
another Lord, as it is sometimes difficult to do.
Bless us Lord,
In your name I pray, Amen
Bible Verses about Family
“For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.”
Check out what the bible has to say about family with these Bible Verses.
Family is an important part of one’s life, and is also very important to God. From Adam and Eve onward, God made humans to be together with love to guide and support one another. Through prayer we can make our families stronger.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer for Family”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Protection/health- Lord i come to you and pray because lately everything has been going down hill, mu husbands health , that puts strain in our unity,… …
- God’s Family- Please Pray for thirsting more of what the Lord has for my Husband(Donald) Myself an Our Sons Barrington 32 an Darius 21. …
- Overcoming Homelessness- Heavenly Father,I pray for me&my son Anthony to get accepted into the Homeward Bound Program&for Courage&Strength to over come the cycle of addiction,I also pray… …
- God’s Divine Intervention- Dear Abba, I know I belong to you. Please help my husband and I. …
- Guidance- Dear God, please give me guidance to help my daughters and to end this toxic relationship. I fear for my kids safety and my own… …
- Prayer Request- I need prayer on a couple of situation happening in my family right now. The first situation my brothers wife was just diagnosed with cancer… …
- God is Good- For peace in family n our health. …
- Family- Please pray for our sons to come back to the Lord, blessed them with the right jobs, deliver them from any addictions they may have,… …
- Deliverance for family- Our pastor confirmed my family and I are under a spiritual attack. I’ve been sick for years with mental illness. I got baptized and it… …
- Wife and Family- Pray for miracle healing prayer for my Wife Ren my family Mother sisters brothers closest friends … …
- Bless for a healthy baby boy- My dear Jesus please bless me with a healthy baby boy .With your grace I have healthy baby girl of 3 year old ,this time… …
- Restoring our family- Pray for my broken family . I have only 2 daughters they’ve not spoken to each other in almost a year . My youngest daughter… …
- Daughter Living in Sin- I am asking St Jude to help our daughter leave the life of sin and return to her Catholic husband whom she married so long… …
- Family- Prayers for my family that is against me, that has become household enemies. prayers for unity in the family, prayer of peace for me. I… …
- Our Loved Ones- Dear Lord, You know the paths that my family has gone. Love is not a feeling in our family anymore.. Jealousy has settled in places… …
- For my family- Encourage me and my husband as we go about raising a special-needs grandchild, also to use us as shining lights for the conviction and salvation… …
- Help with Finances- Please pray for favor for the Scott family . Help and immediate relief. Thank You and God bless you and yours!!🙏🏾 …
- Salvation. Freedom from addictions- Pray that my sons would draw near to you God. For their salvation. Freedom from addictions. Restoration of their families. For wisdom and discernment for… …
- Strength to Stand- Please pray with me believing that God will heal my mother. I don’t know what happened to her. She changed. We don’t have the same… …
- Prayer for my family- I have a lot of family problems –we have 3 men who has Cancer one is Colon Cancer-Bladder–We have my granddaughter who has had her… …
More prayers posted in: Family
Have you ever had a friend lost a loved one, probably a Husband, Wife child or close relative? It’s never easy as we cannot imagine the pain, emotional trauma and stress they’re going through at that moment. But as close friends, we ought to be there for them, comfort them and say kind words that’ll help them through that trying period. No matter how brief the statements we make at that moment to comfort them may be, it’s highly needed to keep them together, remind them that they’re not alone and that as their friend, you also share in their grief.
See Also: What To Say To Someone Who Is Dying
One of the most difficult things to do at such low moments is finding the right comforting words to tell them keeping their temperament and personalities in mind. It’s already sad that they lost a loved one, however, most people are uncomfortable with this situation as nobody would want to show up saying something that will make the person or family feel worse about the situation. Some people ramble when they’re nervous and therefore make mistakes in trying to comfort the bereaved.
For these reasons, we’ve taken time to compile a list of statements, phrases or sentences you can tell a friend when he or she is bereaved of a family member or lost a loved one. These words can be spoken at the funeral, sent via messages or written on a card to them.
See Also: Words Of Condolence: 100 Comforting Words of Condolence For a Loss
What to Say to Someone Who Just Lost a Loved One
There are no words to tell you how sorry I am. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
She brought so much joy to everyone around her she’ll surely be missed by many.
I’ll always remember _______ and how much he loved you and the rest of your family. I’m so sorry for your loss.
________ was very much loved by all. Her good works will never be forgotten and she now lives in our heart. I know she was your dearly loved one but we’ll all miss her too.
I am very sad to hear about this huge loss. I know she was a dearly loved one to you. If you feel like talking, I’m always here for you.
I wish I could rewind the hands of time and take away this moment forever; I wish I could take away your pain. Just know that you’re in my thoughts and I’m praying for comfort for you and your family.
I feel your pain, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
________ was such a shining light in so many people’s life. We’ll all miss her terribly. Please know that I’ll be here for you if you ever need to talk.
At the news of her demise, my heart aches and hurts deeply. I can’t imagine enough your grief considering how dear she was to you. I’m so sorry.
He was loved by all, your loved one and everybody’s friend. I can’t believe that this moment is a reality. Accept my most sincere sympathy.
Also Read: What To Write In A Sympathy Card: 60 Condolence Messages
More things to Say to Someone Who Just Lost a Loved One
______was such a generous man. We’ll all miss him, but his legacy will live on through all great works he did.
I’ll miss her kind words and sweet smile. Please know that I’ll be praying for you and your family.
We share comfort in knowing he is no longer suffering. We send thoughts of sympathy and support to you as you begin your journey without him.
I know that she was well loved and respected. She had great character and a big heart.
I can’t imagine how you’re feeling right now and I won’t pretend to know the loss that you’re experiencing. Please know that you’re not alone and I’m just a phone call away. If you ever need any support or someone to talk to, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
Although there’s nothing I can do to change what happened, I’ll continue to offer you my love and support. Extending my most heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
Losing a loved one is totally heart breaking. I’m very sad he had to go. You have my warmest support, prayers and goodwill. Call me and I’ll be right there if you need anything please.
My deepest condolences to you and your family during this dark time. Please know that our family is keeping you and yours in our prayers and thoughts.
May all the sweet memories of ________bring you solace during this time. I hope that all the great moments that you were able to have with him/her before she/he passed away brings you comfort.
Please know that you’re in my thoughts and prayers. My sincerest condolences for an incredibly great loss.
Still Thinking of What to say in Different scenarios, take a look at these articles below
What To Say To Someone Who Is Depressed
What To Say To Someone With Cancer
80 Weird Things To Say To People To Get Them Really Thinking Hard
100 Random Things To Say To Anyone Around You
We are always happy when our family and loved ones gather together. It is blessed time when we get together with the friends and family. Sometimes we haven’t seen them in several months. Families come in all shapes and sizes (including adoptive and step families). The things that binds us together are love and loyalty. Family is important to God. When we pray for our family members, it shows that our family is important to us. Don’t forget prayer for family members.
Set Your Heart in Line with God’s Heart
Bringing our needs to God isn’t simply listing the things we need, and then walking away. Prayer is about enjoying intimacy with God, our Lord and Savior. Offer God praise (if you need a place to start, choose a chapter from the book of Psalms). Repentance is an opportunity to ask God for His forgiveness. Let’s face it, we all need His grace!
I praise You because You are wise and powerful (Daniel 2:20). You have given Your people peace and You keep Your promises (1 Kings 8:56). Lord, please forgive me for things I have done or words I have said that failed You. Please give me the wisdom to do better (1 John1:9). I acknowledge that the things I have been blessed with come from You (James 1:17).
Prayer for Family
Next, bring the needs of your loved ones to God in prayer for family. Please note, these are very general things to ask for. You can personalize this as you need to.
Lord, I bring my family members to You. I ask that You give them:
Health – Lord, maintain my loved one’s health (3 John 1:2)
Wisdom – Lord, give my loved ones the wisdom they need in the situations they are facing (Psalm 25:4-5)
Peace – Lord, give my loved ones strength and peace (Psalm 29:11)
If a family member has a specific need, look up a Bible verse that relates to their needs and include it in your prayer for them. For example, to pray for a family member who is going through a tough time:
Lord, Psalm 9:9 says, “The LORD is a refuge for the oppressed, a stronghold in times of trouble.” Right now my loved one is troubled because she lost her job. Please be her refuge. Provide for her needs, protect her family, and lead her to the right job.”
Prayer for Yourself
As the member of a family, you have an important place. You need your family, but your family also needs you! Pray that God will help you to be the best member of your family as possible. Here are a few suggestions for how to pray for yourself:
Lord, I want to honor you by honoring my parents and by looking out for the younger members of my family. I need Your help! I want to demonstrate love to my family, handle problems with patience, and give generously.
Love – Please give help me to love others because You first loved me (1 John 4:19, 1 Corinthians 13:4-7).
Patience – Please help me to be patient with my loved ones (Colossians 3:13, Ephesians 6:4)
Generosity – Please help me to put the needs of others before my own; to be generous with my time and resources (1 Timothy 5:8, Acts 10:2).
Why Prayer is Important?
Family is important to God. We were not created to be “lone wolves” – we need each other (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10)! That is why God gave us the special community called family. God has given family to us for support, love, and companionship. At the same time, family is the place where we learn important things like patience.
How should we treat our family members? The Bible provides some guidelines about how families should interact and treat each other:
- “Honor your father and your mother” (Exodus 20:12)
We should treat the family members, especially those that are our seniors, with respect.
- “Children are a heritage from the Lord” (Psalm 127-3-5)
God entrusts parents with children. But I believe this also extends to looking out for the well-being of younger family members.
These verses, and many others, show that God cares for us and for the family unit. How can you deepen and strengthen your relationships with your loved ones? Prayer for family is an important part of keeping family relationships strong!
Time is Love
Time spent in prayer is important because time is a valuable and finite resource. When we bring our needs to God in prayer, we show that we trust Him.
Consider what it means for your loved ones when you bring their needs to the Lord in prayer! When we pray for our family members, it shows that our family is important to us.
Prayer for family is an investment of our time
How should I pray for my family?
Prayer for family is an opportunity to bring your loved ones’ needs to Him. Prayer is simply talking to God, but sometimes we just don’t know where to start. I’ll suggest a prayer here and then we can talk about it in more detail.
Here are a few suggestions for before you pray:
- Think about the last time you talked with your family members. What was going on in their lives? Make a list of your family members and any prayer concerns you know they have.
- If you aren’t sure what to pray for send a text to your family member and simply ask them, “How can I pray for you?”
- Write your list on an index card. Keep it in a private place and refer to it during your prayer time. When you communicate with your loved ones, ask them if they have experienced an answer to prayer.
Also read: SHORT FAMILY PRAYER