Is stress holding you hostage and keeping you from rest? Do you feel burdens pressing in that seem too heavy to bear? When anxious thoughts pull you in the wrong direction, and you’re struggling to find balance, the following prayer might express your thoughts and help you find relief and freedom.
Before praying, consider these 4 steps for praying over anxiety, as suggested by well-known author and speaker Max Lucado:
- Pray immediately.
“Don’t stew over the problems that are besetting you or your neighbor. Ask God for help as soon as you identify a need.”
- Pray specifically.
“When we boil our concerns down to a specific request, they become right-sized. Vague threats loom larger than concrete challenges.”
- Pray for and with others.
“When we consider the problems of others and enlist their help with ours, our concerns become more manageable.”
- Pray with thanksgiving.
“Anxiety and gratitude cannot occupy the same space. When we catalog what are thankful for, our list of challenges grows less powerful.”
Table of contents
A Prayer for Relief of Stress and Anxiety
Lord Jesus, the stresses in my life often reach a dangerous proportion—or so it seems. My body, mind, and spirit struggle to keep up physically, mentally, and yes, spiritually. Some days anxiety stalks me like a deceitful predator, and the temptation to worry draws me in. I know better, but some days the challenges outweigh the truths buried inside. My trust in You fades into the background, giving fear and concerns permission to discourage me.
In those moments of apprehension, help me remember that I belong to You, and that You are not the author of fear or anxiety, but the giver of love and a sound mind. Teach me Your ways to respond to problems by giving thanks in them. Your Word assures me that You are always there with me. You are the Blessed Controller of all things, and nothing escapes Your attention in my life. You have given me every tool and spiritual blessing to fight against those things that try to steal my peace. You’ve promised that when I’m stressed and burdens are trying to weigh me down, I can come to You. You will give me sweet rest!
Whether the anxiety stems from work, parenting, finances, physical issues, or even world conditions, You are there, Lord, to shoulder the weight. Teach me to recognize the stressful trials as tools for you to shape me and rearrange me. Through those difficult times, You will teach me patience, enlarge my faith, and help me see things I couldn’t see earlier—if I will only let You. When I’m clueless as to what to do, Lord, I want to turn to you first, not last.
Forgive me for trying to handle things on my own, Lord. The need to be in control sometimes gets a stronghold on my life. That only makes things worse. I want to trust You more and see things from Your perspective, not my own. No one makes me feel uptight, angry, or stressed, and no one forces me to react negatively. I choose to respond according to my beliefs. Do I believe You are in control? Do I believe You created all things and hold all things in Your Hand? Do I believe You are truly good? When an anxious thought creeps in, help me to stop and relax, to take that thought captive, and to turn apprehension into a calm prayer for deliverance. Revamp my belief system, Lord. Show me a new way to handle life according to Your Way.
No matter what issues I am dealing with; no matter how big the problems or situations, I’m laying them all at Your feet today. Turn these potentials for stress into lessons for growth and trust. When I can’t see any possible solutions, I choose to believe that You are working things out for my good—in Your own time, as you have in the past. Show me what to do, or what not to do. As I focus on You, remembering Your promises and Your words, I believe You will fill me with a peace that is beyond all understanding.
In Your precious name,
A Short Prayer for An Anxious Heart
Dear Lord, I thank you that I can come to You always for any reason. I’m grateful that when I pray to You, You answer me. Help me to come to You at the beginning of my fears and anxieties instead of waiting until I can’t stand them anymore. The quicker I come to You the better. You want to free me from ALL my fears. Help me look to You for help more often so that I can be radiant with Your joy. In Jesus’ name, I pray, Amen.
– Jennifer Heeren
Rebecca Barlow Jordan is an inspirational author, speaker, and passionate follower of Jesus who loves to encourage others heart to heart. She has written 11 books and over 1700 other articles, greeting cards, and other inspirational pieces. Her daily devotional Daily in Your Presence is available for delivery through Crosswalk.com. You can find out more about Rebecca at www.rebeccabarlowjordan.com.
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
This prayer for peace of mind asks god to relieve anxiety and stress,
and grant a clarity of mind to feel at ease in one’s life. Say it in the morning
or evening on a daily basis until you feel at peace.
Also, one of the best prayers for anxiety is the famous Serenity Prayer.
If you’re not familiar with this prayer, I highly recommend it.
A Prayer for Peace of Mind
Almighty God, We bless you for our lives,
we give you praise for your abundant mercy and grace
we receive. We thank you for your faithfulness even
though we are not that faithful to you.
Lord Jesus, we ask you to give us all around
peace in our mind, body, soul and spirit.
We want you to heal and remove everything that is
causing stress, grief, and sorrow in our lives.
Please guide our path through life and make our
enemies be at peace with us. Let your peace reign in our family,
at our place of work, businesses and everything we lay our hands on.
Let your angels of peace go ahead of us when we go out
and stay by our side when we return. In Jesus’ name, Amen.
A Prayer to Heal Stress
Heavenly Father, please grant me peace of mind
and calm my troubled heart. My soul is like
a turbulent sea. I can’t seem to find my balance
so I stumble and worry constantly. Give me the
strength and clarity of mind to find my purpose
and walk the path you’ve laid out for me. I trust
your Love God, and know that you will heal this stress.
Just as the sun rises each day against the dark of
night. Please bring me clarity with the light of God.
In your name I pray, Amen.
Below, you can submit a prayer request to be posted to the site. Together we can bring peace of mind to one another through the power of prayer and heal anxiety.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer for Peace of Mind”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Peace and calm in time of waiting- I need prayers for peace and serenity while I wait to go back for a scan to determine the viability of my pregnancy. My baby… …
- Stress relief and financial Blessing and learning more about God words- Dear Heavenly Father I ask that you would bless me to stop stressing and worrying about Son and stop him smoking and doing wrong things… …
- Anxiety and Panic- I have been suffering from anxiety and panic for the past 3 years. Please pray that God will take this away from me. …
- Nervousness for future- Prayers for me to release all my worries to God and feel at peace with whatever decision that my employers and I have to make.… …
- Financial Breakthrough- Dear Lord God, our Sacred Heart, through the intercession of St. Jude, St. Joseph & the Blessed Virgin Mary, pls.pray for me as I want… …
- Financial Help- I pray desperately for financial help. I am constant worry of how to get though this. I pray for relief and help. I pray also… …
- Help Me With My Worries- Dear Lord, I ask You to help me with my worries about my job, my marriage, my child, and my health. I have not been… …
- Release the evil- Just need a peace of mind from my husband. Please pray to give in and not be so hurtful to me.let me see my daughter. …
- Bad thoughts- Please pray for my thoughts. They have been impure and are giving me anxiety and depression and fear. I need to change my thoughts. They… …
- Prayer of protectiin- Prayer for my home and neighborhood, drug dealers have taken over. My house and car have been broken into, my gas tank has been sugared… …
- Everything- Now if I were rich enough to solve a problem I’d have to move away to either a new state, territory or country, but I’m… …
- In hospital- Lord Jesus, please lie your hands upon Reginald, Lord please help him remember the things he has forgotten. Lord heal him so he can walk… …
- Moving- I need prayer for a new apt that is safe & affordable. Disconnect & be peaceful away from an unhealthy relationship. …
- Family and God- I doubt my Salvation and God Moving In my life. Please pray that these doubts and harmful thoughts may be lifted from me permanently, or… …
- Selling of home- Oh, Heavenly Father I pray that you will find the right buyer that can see the beauty of this home that we have to sell… …
- Let everything be okay- “Please Lord I know you can see I am having problems with my home, finances, hope find a place to move to all this since… …
- Financial problems- Praise the Lord anna please pray for me my financial situation is very very bad I am in huge loss please pray for recover my… …
- Living the right way- Lord, I come to you today with a broken heart. I have been in a relationship with a man for 25 years. Today is a… …
- Love you god- Pray for people hurting today, children in broken homes, people that are hungry, people that are sick, people that are homeless, thank you …
- Diss miss all charges- In the name of jesus fix Jesus you know my heart make away lead an guise me give me strength an wisdom turn the evil… …
More prayers posted in: Peace-of-mind