Children are a gift – an amazing blessing from God. Every single day we may find ourselves doing a lot for our kids, loving and caring for them, nurturing, teaching, training, helping, leading, equipping, encouraging, protecting, and so much more. We spend precious hours just living out life, helping with homework, and driving them to activities. We spend money on sports, lessons, and various classes to help them grow and become all they can be, providing opportunities for them to do what they most love in this world.
But in the midst of busy, full lives, we have to ask ourselves: Are we praying? I mean, really praying specific, powerful, promise-filled, hope-inspired prayers. Are we praying God’s powerful Word and promises over their lives? I’m freshly aware, and challenged to pray more.
There’s a battle over our families today, and the enemy would love nothing more than to destroy all that we hold dear in this life. He’s ruthless and cunning, deceitful and sly. He’ll attack when we’re not watching, he’ll do everything he can to lure our kids his way. Don’t let him win.
Prayer is essential over our children and families, in order to stay alert, aware, and discerning of God’s voice, as well as to stand against the attacks of the enemy in our lives. We should never underestimate the importance of speaking blessing and truth over their lives. Prayer is powerful and his words are true.
Prayer + God’s Word = Power – the pathway for Him to do miraculous things.
We praise you for your love and faithfulness. We thank you for your protection and care over our families. Thank you that you give us the power to love well; the wisdom to lead and teach our children. We know you’re for us; that you fight for our families today. You are Redeemer, Restorer, and Friend, we believe you have good in store. We confess, some days, parenting is tough. Many days we can feel anxious or overwhelmed. We ask that you would make us more like you, more aware of your constant Presence in our lives. Help us to release our children to You, so that You are free to fully accomplish all that You desire, in them, through them. Please fill our families with your truth and cover us with your favor.
Lord, we pray for these blessings over our children, today, and every day…
Belief – “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved – you and your household.” Acts 16:31
Blessing – “The Lord bless you and keep you, the Lord make his face shine upon you and be gracious to you, the Lord turn his face toward you and give you peace.” Numbers 6:24-26
Courage – “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Joshua 1:9
Contentment – “Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5
Encouragement – “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:29
Endurance – “Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, fixing our eyes on Jesus…” Hebrews 12:1-2
Faithfulness – “Only fear the Lord and serve him faithfully with all your heart. For consider what great things he has done for you.” 1 Sam. 12:24
Favor – “For you bless the righteous, O Lord; you cover him with favor as with a shield.” Psalm 5:12
Forgiveness – “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9
Fruitfulness – “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” Galatians 5:22-23
Generosity – “They are to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share, thus storing up treasure for themselves as a good foundation for the future, so that they may take hold of that which is truly life.” 1 Timothy 6:18-19
Godly Relationships – “Whoever walks with the wise becomes wise, but the companion of fools will suffer harm.” Prov. 13:20
Grace – “May the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God, and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all.” 2 Corinthians 13:14
Health – “Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul.” 3 John 1:2
Honesty – “And you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.” John 8:32
Hope – “But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31
Humility – “Do nothing from rivalry or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” Philippians 2:3-4
Integrity – “Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.” Proverbs 10:9
Joy – “…for the joy of the LORD is your strength.” Nehemiah 8:10
Kindness – “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” Ephesians 4:32
Love – “How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God.” 1 John 3:1
Obedience – “Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right.” Ephesians 6:1
Patience – “Know this, my beloved brothers: let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger.” James 1:19
Peace – “You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.” Isaiah 26:3
Protection – “He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart…He will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways.” Psalm 91:1-2, 4, 11
Provision – “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:19
Purity – “How can a young man keep his way pure? By guarding it according to your word.” Psalm 119:9
Purpose – “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you hope and a future.” Jeremiah 29:11
Respect – “Show proper respect to everyone: Love the brotherhood of believers, fear God, honor the king.” 1 Peter 2:17
Safety – “The Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.” Psalm 121:8
Salvation – “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” John 3:16
Self-Control – “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” 2 Timothy 1:7
Servant Heart – “For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.” Galatians 5:13
Strength – “Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes.” Ephesians 6:10-11
Submission – “Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.” James 4:7
Thankfulness – “And whatever you do, in word or deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” Colossians 3:17
Trust – “Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.” Proverbs 3:5-6
Value – “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” Ephesians 2:9
Wisdom – “The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom…” Proverbs 9:10
Wise Instruction – “All your sons will be taught by the Lord, and great will be your children’s peace.” Isaiah 54:13
Please let your blessings and Word shine on our children and family, as we seek to honor you.
In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
“Pour out your heart like water in the presence of the Lord. Lift up your hands to him for the lives of your children…” Lamentations 2:19
For prayers to help your child learn how to pray, read 10 Simple & Easy Children’s Prayers.
When it’s time to sleep and you want to help your child learn how to pray at bedtime, use our Kids Bedtime Prayers.
Debbie McDaniel is a writer, pastor’s wife, mom to three amazing kids (and a lot of pets). Join her each morning on Fresh Day Ahead’s facebook page, for daily encouragement in living strong, free, hope-filled lives. Find her also at and
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersThe Prayer of JabezShort PrayersThe Lord’s PrayerThe Prayer of St FrancisSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerMother’s Day PrayerPrayers for My HusbandPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for LovePrayers for My SonPrayers for My Daughter
These prayers for children have been taken from out-of-print prayer and clergy textbooks. Our prayer sections are a work in progress and we will continue to add more as time goes on.
These prayers are broken into sections. There are prayers for children in trouble, for sick children, for those who are angry or depressed, and short blessings for children.
If you have a prayer request for a child, add it at the bottom of this page.
Related: How to Teach Children About Prayer
“Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the Kingdom of God.”
A Short Prayer for a Child
Strength and wholeness. I shall run and not be weary. I shall walk and not faintCome Gracious Spirit, Heavenly Dove,
With light and comfort from above.
Be Thou our Guardian, Thou our Guide,
Stay close by every child’s side. Amen!
- 1 Prayers for Children in Trouble
- 2 Prayers for Children Who Are Angry or Depressed
- 3 Prayers for sick children
- 4 Prayers for Children to Learn
- 5 Bible Verses About Children
- 6 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Children”
- 7 Recent prayer requests…
- 8 Why Pray for Children
- 9 How to Pray for Children
- 10 Your Turn
Prayers for Children in Trouble
There are times in life when are children may stray from the Lord’s path. What follows are prayers for children who have lost their way, and need God’s guidance and blessings.
Dear Lord, you have witnessed the rebelliousness of youth since the very beginnings of time. You understand a parent’s anguish and helplessness over the actions of his child.
Please help us to transform our anger and frustration into loving care for our child who has gone astray. Help us begin to mend our broken fences and heal our broken hearts. Bless our child and also help him to mend the error of his ways. Help and bless us all to do right in Your name and restore us to peace and tranquility.
“Forgive the rebellious sins of youth …”
Child of The Light
Blessed is the Child of Light
Who doth seek his heavenly Father
For he shall have eternal life.
He that dwelleth in the secret place
Of the Most High
Shall abide under the shadow
of the Almighty.
For he shall give his Angels charge over thee
To keep thee in all thy ways.
Know ye that the Lord hath been
Our dwelling place
In all generations.
Before the mountains were brought forth,
Or ever he had formed
The earth and the world
Even from everlasting to everlasting,
Hath there been love
Between the Heavenly Father
And his children.
And how shall this love be severed?
From the beginning
Until the ending of time
Doth the holy flame of love
Encircle the heads
Of the Heavenly Father
And the Children of Light:
How then shall this love be extinguished?
For not as a candle doth it burn,
Nor yet as a fire raging in the forest.
Lo, it burneth with the flame
Of Eternal Light,
And that flame cannot be consumed.
From the Essene Gospel of Jesus
Read our Prayers for Purity.
Prayers for Children Who Are Angry or Depressed
Here is another prayer found in an out-of-print prayer book for a child that is upset or facing a difficult situation.
My Greatest Gift
Heavenly Father, my child is your greatest gift,
and my biggest challenge!
I know my child is truly distressed,
and yet I am at my wit’s end to find a peaceful resolution.
I feel helpless and frustrated.
I ask myself, What would my Heavenly Father
do in His infinite wisdom and beneficence?
Lord, come into my heart and mind,
and share Your loving wisdom with me!
Help my child to heal his pain, and help me
to become as loving and wise a parent, as You are for us
Your children. Thank You Lord, for
hearing me and coming to my aid! Bring your loving Peace to me and my child today.
The Kingdom of the Heavenly Father
My children, do you know that the Earth
And all that dwells therein
Is but a reflection of the
Kingdom of the Heavenly Father?
And as you are suckled and comforted
By your mother when a child,
But you go to join your father in the fields
When you grow up,
So do the Angels of the Earthly Mother
Guide your steps
Toward him who is your Father,
And all his holy Angels,
That you may know your true home
And become true Sons of God.
While we are children,
We will see the rays of the sun,
But not the Power which created it;
While we are children,
We will hear the sounds of the flowing brook,
But not the Love which created it;
While we are children,
We will see the stars,
But not the hand which scatters them
Through the sky,
As the farmer scatters the seed.
Only through the Communions
With the Angels of the Heavenly Father,
Will we learn to see the unseen,
To hear that which cannot be heard,
And to speak the unspoken word.
Prayers for sick children
There are few things in life that are more difficult than dealing with a sick child. As a parent, our children’s wellbeing is what we care about most in the world.
The following are prayers for children dealing with an illness.
Bring Healing to Our Child
Lord, you love our child as You love all children,
Bring healing to our child who is not well.
Stay by his side and comfort him through this trying time.
Keep us ever mindful of Your loving presence
Bless us with Your powerful healing and comfort us also.
Thank You for hearing our prayer!
Restore My Child to Health
O Lord God, I come to You for help and succor.
You have afflicted my child .
Help me to understand that You mean well.
Give me grace to bear my child’s affliction with patience and strength.
Bless me, O Father, and restore my child to health.
Do not forsake us, but give us an assurance of Your loving Kingdom.
Bless this illness to me and my child , and help us both to be better children of Yours because of it.
In the name of Your Holy Son Jesus Christ. Amen!
Read more Prayers for Healing Here.
Prayers for Children to Learn
These are good introductory prayers for children to learn. They are relatively short and they also rhyme making them easy to remember and easy to say.
They can be said in the morning or before bed.
Come Holy Spirit
Come, Holy Spirit, come
Let thy bright beams arise,
Dispel the darkness from our minds,
And open all our eyes.
Revive our drooping faith,
Our doubts and fears remove,
And kindle in our breasts the flame
Of everlasting Love. Amen!
A Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, I awake and see your light,
For You have kept me through the night,
To You I lift my hands and pray,
Keep me from sin throughout this day,
And if I die before it’s done,
Save me through Jesus Christ, Your Son.
Look Upon a Little Child Child’s Morning Prayer
Lord, look upon a little child,
By nature sinful, weak and wild;
O lay Thy gracious hands on me,
And make me all I ought to be.
Gentle Jesus, meek and mild,
Look upon a little child;
Pity my simplicity
Suffer me to come to Thee.
O supply my every want
Feed this young and tender plant
Day and night my keeper be,
And every moment watch round me. Amen!
Related: The 5 Best Bible Stories for Kids
Bible Verses About Children
Click here to read more Bible Verses About Children
“Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are the children of one’s youth. Blessed is the man who fills his quiver with them! He shall not be put to shame when he speaks with his enemies in the gate.”
Also, we have a great collection of simple Bible Verses for Children to Memorize.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Children”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Girls- That the Holy Spirit will continue to breathe the truth of Jesus into the life of my adult children who once were true believers, and… …
- Deliverance- Brent, in jail to be delivered and return to God, Zach, wayward addictions, to be delivered and serving God, Ashley, to forgive and return to… …
- Grandson- Please pray for my grandson Chase who is autistic. He is having behavior issues and hitting other people. His doctor is prescribing medicine, so pray… …
- Children- Please pray for my family to love their Mother and I want to start reading my Bible again and start going back to Church also… …
- Granddaughters- We have gone to court several times, my granddaughters are in my husband and my custody under foster care because of child abuse/endangerment, pray we… …
- Sons- Please pray that Joseph and Andrew will give their hearts to the Lord Thank you. …
- Prodigal Son- To God Be All The Glory! Merciful and Mighty God, I humbly come before you giving you all the Praise, Glory and Honor You deserve.… …
- Prodigal Daughter- Lord, I need you to fill my daughter’s mind with your thoughts, her mouth with your words and her heart with your love. My daughter… …
- Faith- Help me lord, help believe in you. …
- Salvation- Dear Lord, You are Holy, you are Awesome , Mighty, Powerful, all knowing, loving us with an everlasting love and I pray today that you… …
- I want more of GODs love!- Please Pray I know & feel GOD’s love more, , so my children and grandchildren will know That I love them wholly, totally!!!May they know… …
- Prayer for my disabled son and find a right job- Its been almost 12 yrs my son was born with a hydrocephalus the water inside his brain cannot drain so the doctor put a tube… …
- Housing- I pray my daughter will be getting her low income housing soon. as she is disabled and needs this for her future needs. …
- Prodigal Children- Please pray for my adult children and my ex-husband. They are missing out on such a sweet walk with the Lord. I don’t want to… …
- My son to complete his university- I pray that my son pass his assignments and exams in Jesus mighty name. I pray that God gives him wisdom and understanding to pass… …
- Healing For My Niece- Please pray for my niece Alyssa. She is going thru a rough time right now and needs to be healed so that she comes back… …
- Salvation and protection- Lord I need my children to be filled with the Holy Spirit to thirst and hunger for you to love you lord and put you… …
- Miss- I asking for my daughter and her family. Having too many problems with the kids they don’t listen.she trying move from where living. …
- God whispers- Dear God, Please help Emily be in right education setting for her learning disabilities. May you please place people in our lives that guide and… …
- My children- I’m going for a very ugly divorce after being married for many years and having several children. I was a stay at home mother dedicating… …
More prayers posted in: Children
How to Pray for Children Using Scriptures
This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. — 1 John 5:14
The Brothers Grimm tell the story of Sleeping Beauty, which opens with all of the fairies in the kingdom bringing baptismal gifts to an infant princess. One fairy gives beauty, another offers virtue, a third bestows kindness, and so on until the little girl has everything she needs to grow into a wise and lovely young woman.
Reading this story to my own young daughters, I used to wish that such blessings were so easy to come by. Just throw a christening party, invite all the fairies, and — presto! — your child would be covered.
But God gives us another — better — way to provide these gifts (and so many more) for our children. He invites us to pray. And, in fact, according to many biblical scholars, God requires us to pray before he can go to work.
Why Pray for Children
About 250 years ago, British evangelist John Wesley wrote that “God does nothing on earth save in answer to believing prayer”; many contemporary pastors and authors echo this thought, noting, as nineteenth-century evangelist Andrew Murray did, that “God’s giving is inseparably connected with our asking.”
The Bible supports this connection. Over and over again God says, “Ask of me, and I will” and “If my people will humble themselves and pray, then will I . . .” and “Ask and it will be given to you.”
Moreover, there is scriptural evidence that there are times when our failure to ask God for something results in his holding back on the blessings or protection he wanted to provide (see, for example, Ezekiel 22:30-31). No matter how you interpret passages like this one, one thing is clear: God wants us to pray.
As a mother, I’ve always seen prayer as a natural part of the parenting process, and I have always prayed for my children. But for many years my prayers tended to run along the “God bless Johnny” lines. I’d ask God to help my kids on their spelling tests, protect them on field trips, and restore their health when they got the flu or ran a fever. Rarely, though, did my prayers get more creative than that, and almost never did I sense that they packed any real punch.
And then I got involved with a group called Moms in Prayer (formerly Moms In Touch). On the basis of Scripture verses like John 15:7 (“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you”) and Jeremiah 1:12, amplified (“I am alert and active, watching over My word to perform it”), the Moms in Prayer tactic is to use the Bible itself — God’s actual words — as the foundation for our prayers.
How to Pray for Children
Here’s what I mean. Verses like Ephesians 4:32 (“Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you”) can be reworked into terrific prayers for how your kids treat each other:
I pray that Hillary and Annesley would be kind and compassionate toward each other, forgiving each other just as in Christ God forgave them.
Verses like 2 Timothy 2:22 (“Flee the evil desires of youth, and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart”) can serve as a prayer for the friends your children choose:
I pray that Virginia and Robbie would flee from evil desires and pursue righteousness, faith, love, and peace, enjoying the company of children who call on the Lord and have pure hearts.
Not only are prayers like these more interesting and creative than the ones I used to come up with on my own, but, because they come straight out of the Bible, they carry the full weight and power of God’s word. As God says in Isaiah 55:11, “my word. . . will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” And as the author of Hebrews points out, “the Word that God speaks is alive and full of power .”
Each of the chapters in my book deal with a different prayer topic or area of concern that parents often have for their children. Each chapter includes illustrations that bring these topics to life, and while I have sometimes changed names and minor details, all of the stories are true. I am grateful to the many parents who were willing to share in this book their concerns as well as their prayers.
How do you pray for your children? What passages of Scripture do you use for prayer? We welcome you to leave your comments and thoughts on our blog below!
The Bible is gloriously full of prayers for children (though they may not explicitly be labeled as such).
Here are prayers for your children in your family (based on passages of scripture):
- Prayers For Children For Salvation
- Prayers For Children For Blessing
- Prayers For Children For Obedience
- Prayers For Children For Peace
God has made it abundantly clear in Scripture that he wants to bless our children and descendants. He’s given us many promises to give us faith to hope and pray for their salvation and well-being. With that in mind, you pray these prayers for your children with faith that God answers prayer and that prayer is powerful.
1. Prayers For Children About Salvation
1. “And they said, ‘Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved, you and your household.’” Acts 16:31
Lord Jesus, I have believed in you and you have saved me. I believe it is your will to save my children. Please save each and every one of my children for your glory. Thank you that you hear all my prayers for children in my family.
2. “All your children shall be taught by the Lord, and great shall be the peace of your children.” Isaiah 54:13
O Lord, you have promised that all my children shall be taught by you. Please do this. Please reveal yourself to all my children, and save them. Please fill my children with your great peace.
3. “And as for me, this is my covenant with them,” says the Lord: “My Spirit that is upon you, and my words that I have put in your mouth, shall not depart out of your mouth, or out of the mouth of your offspring, or out of the mouth of your children’s offspring,” says the Lord, “from this time forth and forevermore.” Isaiah 59:21
Heavenly Father, you have promised that your Spirit and your word would never depart from me or my children or their children. I pray for each one of my children and grandchildren and descendants that you would save them and fill each one with your Spirit. And please cause each one to love and delight in your word.
4. “The children of your servants shall dwell secure; their offspring shall be established before you.” Psalm 102:28
O Lord, please establish my children and descendants before you. Cause each one to follow you wholeheartedly as disciples all the days of their lives. I pray for my children that they would dwell securely in you all their days.
5. “For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour my Spirit upon your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They shall spring up among the grass like willows by flowing streams. This one will say, “I am the LORD’s,” another will call on the name of Jacob, and another will write on his hand, The LORD’s, and name himself by the name of Israel.” Isaiah 44:3-5
Lord, you have poured out your spirit on me as part of your astonishing New Covenant blessings. You have filled me with the Holy Spirit and made me alive to the sweet things of you. Please do that in my children. I pray for my children that you would pour out your Spirit on them, causing them to be born again and to live with zeal for you.
6. “…I will make an everlasting covenant with them. Their offspring shall be known among the nations, and their descendants in the midst of the peoples; all who see them shall acknowledge them, that they are an offspring the LORD has blessed.” Isaiah 61:8-9
Father, in Christ I am part of your everlasting covenant to love and do good to your people. You have promised to bless me abundantly in Christ. Please also bless my children and bring them into your covenant people. Let it be known that my children follow and delight in Christ.
2. Prayers For Children About Blessing
7. “Praise the Lord! Blessed is the man who fears the Lord, who greatly delights in his commandments! His offspring will be mighty in the land; the generation of the upright will be blessed.” Psalm 112:1-2
Lord Jesus, you have moved me to fear you and I want to fear you. Help me delight in your commandments more and more. Please cause each of my children and descendants to be mighty in the land. Please use each one to influence thousands for you.
8. “The righteous who walks in his integrity— blessed are his children after him!” Proverbs 20:7
Lord, thank you that you have helped me to walk in integrity. You promised that if I did this you would bless my children. So I ask you to please bless my children. Thank you, Lord Jesus, that you delight to answer these prayers for children I’ve been given.
9. “I have been young, and now am old, yet I have not seen the righteous forsaken or his children begging for bread.” Psalm 37:25
O Lord, thank you that in all my years you have never forsaken me. Thank you for all the ways you have provided for me over the years. I offer this prayer for my children: continue to be faithful to them and provide for them. Thank you, Lord.
10. “I will give them one heart and one way, that they may fear me forever, for their own good and the good of their children after them.” Jeremiah 32:39
Father, you have given me a new heart. You have promised that if I fear you it will be for my good and my children’s good. So I pray that you would please do good to my children and all my descendants. Please cause them to fear you for their good and their children after them.
3. Prayers For Children About Obedience
11. “I the fear of the Lord one has strong confidence, and his children will have a refuge.” Proverbs 14:26
Lord God, please help me to fear you. Please deliver me from temptation and sin. And please deliver my children from temptation and sin, evil and harm. Thank you that you are our mighty refuge.
12. Therefore you shall keep his statutes and his commandments, which I command you today, that it may go well with you and with your children after you, and that you may prolong your days in the land that the Lord your God is giving you for all time.” Deuteronomy 4:40
Oh Lord, you have given me a heart to keep your commandments and you’ve helped me by the power of your Spirit. Please let it go well with my children and descendants. Please give them hearts to obey your word and walk in the manner worthy of the gospel all their lives.
13. “They shall not labor in vain or bear children for calamity, for they shall be the offspring of the blessed of the LORD, and their descendants with them.” Isaiah 65:23
Lord, you have said that your people will not bear children for calamity, but that they shall be blessed of the Lord. The greatest blessing you could give my children is the knowledge of you and your ways. My prayer for my children is that they would have that sweet knowledge. Shine your light into their hearts.
14. “Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” Proverbs 22:6
Father, I certainly have made many mistakes in my efforts to train my children in your ways. Nevertheless, I trust in YOUR faithfulness toward my children. I trust you to save them, draw them, protect them, cause them to follow you, and obey you. In this confidence, I pray for my children that you would keep them until they grow old.
15. “And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ.” Philippians 1:6
Father, you have begun a good work in me, causing me to trust in Christ and faithfully leading me in your ways. I trust that you’ve begun a good work in my children as well by placing them under my care. Please complete this good work by making them fruitful for you.
4. Prayers For Children About Peace
16. “…do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
Lord, so often I am tempted to be anxious for my children. To worry about their safety, health, and spiritual condition. Yet you have promised that you will give me the peace that passes understanding. So as I offer these prayers for children in my family, I thank you that you will give me peace. I thank you that you understand my anxiety and are eager to meet me in the midst of it.
I thank you for the encouraging words of men like Charles Spurgeon:
- How To Pray The Prayer of Faith That Gets Things “Done”
- How Do We Pray Without Ceasing?
- Tapping Into The Sacred, Overwhelming Power of Prayer
- 7 STAGGERING Things God Does When We Pray For One Another
- Why Do We Pray? 4 Profound, Staggering, Compelling Reasons