Whether we are seeking forgiveness for our own sins or asking God to help us forgive others, prayer is the first place to start when seeking restoration and healing. The below prayers can help guide your thoughts and words as you seek being forgiven or help in forgiving others. It is a big step to seek out forgiveness and you have taken a bold step in faith!
Before we jump into specific prayers for forgiveness, you may want to take some time to consider what God commands of us concerning forgiveness and why it’s so critical to be able to forgive. Visit our article: What Does the Bible Say About Forgiveness?
Photo credit: ©Thinkstock/DedMityay
Prayer of Forgiveness: A Valuable Gift
A prayer of forgiveness is something we all seek at some point in life. Forgiveness is a valuable gift that is neither easily obtained, nor easily given. Forgiveness is essential for life; it frees us from past wrongs and gives us hope for the future. It is for forgiveness sake that Jesus Christ came to earth to die for mankind.
Prayer of Forgiveness: Made Possible by Jesus Christ
The prayer of forgiveness is a prayer that is offered up to God. Though we may directly hurt each other, all of our trespasses ultimately hurt God. You may wonder how this is possible. How can our shortcomings hurt the omnipotent Creator of the universe? Does God even care? In Genesis 6, we find that God Himself actually grieved over all the wrongs that man had inflicted upon each other: “Then the LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intent of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart” (Genesis 6:5-6).
All knowing, God grieves even at the mere thought of evil. Thus, ultimate forgiveness must also come from God. However, because of His justice, forgiveness cannot be freely given. Every wrong must be accounted for in order for God to be a just judge. Jesus Christ died on the cross at Calvary in our place so that our sins may be forgiven. His suffering paid for our transgressions. “For this is My blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins” (Matthew 26:28).
In His love, God knew that our conscience needed to be freed from guilt and condemnation. He knew that forgiveness of sins was our greatest need. In the ultimate act of love, God not only suffered the pain of our wrongs, but also paid for their consequences in order that we may have forgiveness offered to us when we sin. All we need to do is to accept His free gift of forgiveness.
Prayer of Forgiveness: Ask God for Forgiveness
Perhaps you have stumbled upon this web page looking for a prayer of forgiveness to soothe a tormented soul. Or maybe you are struggling with trying to forgive another for deeply hurting you. For all who accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior, forgiveness has been freely given. If we acknowledge our wrongs and ask for forgiveness, God will forgive us – no questions asked: “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).
If we reject Jesus, in essence, we reject God’s gift of forgiveness. We are in fact saying that we do not wish to be reconciled with God (1 John 1:10). Though it is our free choice to not accept forgiveness from God, we will ultimately be accountable for all the sins we have committed at the end of this life. It is God’s deep desire to be reconciled with you. “For God so loved the world, that He gave his only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life” (John 3:16). If you desire to be truly forgiven, consider what Jesus said and sincerely accept Him as your Lord and Savior. You will be forgiven and God will begin a transforming work in your life.
Prayer of Forgiveness: Receive a New Life
The prayer of forgiveness gives us a new hope and a new beginning. All our sins are wiped away by God. “For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their lawless deeds I will remember no more” (Hebrews 8:12).
If you understand that you are a sinner, and you believe that Jesus Christ came as the one and only Redeemer of sin, then you understand the prayer of forgiveness. The question is – are you ready to implement the prayer, by receiving God’s gift of His Son, Jesus Christ? If so, believe in Christ, repent of your sins, and commit the rest of your life to Him as Lord:
“Repent, and let every one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins; and you shall receive the gift of the Holy Spirit” (Acts 2:38).
If you decided to receive Jesus today, welcome to God’s family. Now, as a way to grow closer to Him, the Bible tells us to follow up on our commitment.
- Get baptized as commanded by Christ.
- Tell someone else about your new faith in Christ.
- Spend time with God each day. It does not have to be a long period of time. Just develop the daily habit of praying to Him and reading His Word. Ask God to increase your faith and your understanding of the Bible.
- Seek fellowship with other followers of Jesus. Develop a group of believing friends to answer your questions and support you.
- Find a local gathering where you can worship God.
Did you become a follower of Jesus today? Please Click YES! or NO Are you already a follower of Jesus? Please Click Here
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
– We have all
and deserve God’s judgment.
, the Father, sent His only Son to satisfy that judgment for those who believe in Him.
, the creator and eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He
for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was
rose from the dead
according to the
. If you truly believe and trust this in your heart, receiving Jesus alone as your
, declaring, “
Jesus is Lord
,” you will be saved from
and spend eternity with God in heaven.
What is your response?
Yes, today I am deciding to follow JesusYes, I am already a follower of JesusI still have questions
There arent many things in life more important than forgiveness. As Christians, we understand that we all make mistakes, and that we must learn to forgive, as God forgives us.
Below are a few sample prayers for forgiveness. Submit your prayer request below to ask God for forgiveness.
A Prayer for Forgiveness
I have sinned, Lord, and while I know that all have sinned and come
short I am having a hard time letting go of my shame and accepting your forgiveness.
I know that I am unworthy of your love, but Your Word promises
forgiveness as long as we confess our sins to You and repent.
I am so sorry for falling short of what You expect of me,
and I pray for your mercy and the strength not to make the same mistakes again.
There are many circumstances when we need to ask to be forgiven. One of the more common circumstances that we see in prayer requests, is asking for forgiveness after an infidelity.
We must learn to forgive even after the most hurtful of actions.
Forgiveness After an Affair
Being betrayed by a spouse is a very painful thing,
but we know, Lord, that it is Your will that we learn to forgive.
What others do should never impact our walk with you, God.
We need to be able to learn to forgive even the most painful breach of trust.
Help us to forgive our spouse the same way that we want You to forgive us,
and give us peace and healing for our broken hearts.
Table of contents
Forgiveness in The Scriptures
The word of God offers us guidance on how to forgive our neighbors, and ourselves.
“Then Peter came up and said to him, Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times? Jesus said to him, I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.””
Read more Bible Verses about Forgiveness
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Forgiveness”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Forgiveness- Help me Lord, help me forgive my ex-wife as we go through a custody dispute and protect our children’s hearts during this difficult time. Help… …
- Prayer for forgiveness and protection- I am a new Christian. I go to Sunday school each Sunday. I believe in god and have been baptized in the father, son, and… …
- Forgiveness of a person who has hurt and used me for self gratification- Please pray that I can be forgiven of Victor who has used me for his own self gratification. I am so angry and hurt inside… …
- Forgiveness- Dear Lord, my almighty God, I have not been a very good person, have committed a few sins, not proud of myself at all, please… …
- Strength and Forgiveness- Dear God, please be with me in these troubled times and forgive me for my trespasses. Help me face the past, help me heal my… …
- God help me to forgive those who hurt me- to ask GOD to help me to forgive those who hurt me, more especially all that mistreatment comes from my family. To ask GOD to… …
- To forgive others- I have been hurt badly by my husband’s youngest sister, Pauline Goh for many years that give me so much of stress. She always pick… …
- Forgiveness of my sins against God- Dear God, I’m sorry for my sin. I commit adultery,casting your name and drinking, which was a sin against you, as well as a sin… …
- Change me- I’m been damaged, broken, divorced but I still and falling down.I would love for God to help me see my purpose here I can’t see… …
- An argument with a stranger- Yesterday I don’t know what came over me I guess because I’m insecure person and I’ve struggled with my life of high-school getting into college… …
- Restore my life back to you Lord- Restore my life back to you Lord. Forgive me from my brokenness and sins. Help me to forgive those who have hurt me in the… …
- Help him find you Lord- Lord, first and foremost, thank you for everything you do for me. I love having a relationship with you, it is one that never fades,… …
- Forgiveness- I pray that God gives me the grace to forgive all those who have offended me. …
- Fill me with your likeness- Lord, I ask that you forgive me for I have sinned. I sin every day, as we all do. I long to be more like… …
- God- God i love i am praying to you bless us all i thank you for sun thankyou for rain i hope they dont have any… …
- Forgiving heart- Pray for me to be a forgiving person. I keep grudges for years and years. I am very kind and respectful but I don’t like… …
- Thankful & Forgiveness- Dear God, I praise your holy name. Thank you for life,health & strength. We ask your forgiveness, I am sorry to all my sins I’ve… …
- Help!!!- God please forgive me for I have sin against you..HELP ME JESUS …
- Gorgiveness- Dear jesus please forgive me of my past sins. Take my worries away. …
- My Struggles- Dear God, I stand here confused, frustrated, angry, depressed, guilty, stressed, and lost. I do not know where or how to begin Father God, I… …
More prayers posted in: Forgiveness