Wedding Blessings – Powerful Scripture Quotes
Marriage is a gift – an amazing blessing from God. Yet often, the greatest gifts in life are not always cherished the way they should be. Maybe because life gets busy, or we get hurried and distracted. Maybe because we start to take one another for granted. Or we disagree and let resentments hang on longer than they should.
Life gets hard.
The baggage we bring along from our past doesn’t help much either. What worked for us as two individuals, coping with the everyday stresses of life, may not work so well when joined as “one.” We spin our wheels comparing our own marriage to the next one over, complaining about the problems; falsely thinking it might propel the other to action. We long for brighter tomorrows, but instead get stuck, in regret and hurt. We begin to drift away. And sadly, many times, we start looking for the nearest door marked “Exit.”
There’s a battle over marriages today, and the enemy would love nothing more than to destroy yours, and to bring.you.down.
Don’t let him win.
The enemy’s aim – to destroy. God’s aim – to build up.
In all of the talk about marriage, defending our views, or pointing out differences, we have to ask ourselves one question…have we prayed? I mean, really prayed, consistently, over time? And if we’re not, then who is?
God promises in Isaiah 55:11 that His word will not return empty, without accomplishing great things.
There’s no magic formula in praying verses and words, but there is power through the Spirit of God. And there’s power in His Truth to bring forgiveness, healing, renewal, and restoration – no matter how bad things may seem. His reach is big. His love is huge. His grace covers all.
Prayer + God’s Word = Power – the pathway for Him to do miraculous things.
40 Powerful Wedding and Marriage Blessings to Pray Over Your Spouse:
We praise you for your love and faithfulness. We thank you for huge grace. We thank you that you give us the power to love well. Thank you for my spouse. Thank you for the gift of marriage. Thank you that you’re for us; that you fight for us. Thank you that you are Redeemer, and you have good in store. We confess, some days, marriage gets tough, and we blow it – again. We ask that you would make us more like you. Please fill our marriage and lives with truth and cover it with blessing.
Lord, we pray for…
Adoration – “My beloved is mine and I am his.” Song of Songs 2:16
Belief – “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved-you and your household.” Acts 16:31
Blessing – “He blesses the home of the righteous.” Prov. 3:33
Commitment – “Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.” Ecc. 4:12
Courage – “Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Josh. 1:9
Discernment – “And it is my prayer that your love may abound more and more, with knowledge and all discernment, so that you may approve what is excellent, and so be pure and blameless for the day of Christ.” Phil. 1:9-10
Encouragement – “Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.” Ephesians 4:29
Endurance – “Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never ends.” 1 Cor. 13:7-8
Faithfulness – “Let love and faithfulness never leave you; bind them around your neck, write them on the tablet of your heart. Then you will win favor and a good name in the sight of God and man.” Prov. 3:3-4
Favor – “May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us, establish the work of our hands…” Ps. 90:17
Forgiveness – “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” Eph. 4:32
Friendship – “Two are better than one…if either of them falls, the one will lift up his companion.” Ecc. 4:9-10
Fruitfulness – “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.” Gal. 5:22-23
Generosity – “A generous person will prosper; whoever refreshes others will be refreshed.” Prov. 11:25
Gentleness – “Walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.” Eph. 4:1-3
Grace – “Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone.” Col. 4:6
Health – “Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.” Prov. 16:24
Hope – “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you hope and a future.” Jer. 29:11
Humility – “Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility count others more significant than yourselves. Let each of you look not only to his own interests, but also to the interests of others.” Phil. 2:3-4
Integrity – “Whoever walks in integrity walks securely, but he who makes his ways crooked will be found out.” Prov. 10:9
Intimacy – “Do not deprive one another, except perhaps by agreement for a limited time, that you may devote yourselves to prayer; but then come together again, so that Satan may not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.” 1 Cor. 7:5
Joy – “May your fountain be blessed, and may you rejoice in the wife of your youth.” Prov. 5:18
Kindness – “She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue.” Prov. 31:26
Love – “May the Lord make your love increase and overflow for each other…” 1Thess. 3:12
Oneness – “They are no longer two but one flesh. What God has joined together, let no man separate.” Matt. 19:6
Peace – “May there be peace within your walls…” Ps. 122:7
Protection – “The Lord is faithful. He will establish you and guard you against the evil one.” 2 Thess. 3:3
Provision – “And my God will supply every need of yours according to his riches in glory in Christ Jesus.” Phil. 4:19
Purity – “Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, my rock and my redeemer.” Ps. 19:14
Purpose – “And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.” Rom. 8:28
Respect – “Let each one of you love his wife as himself, and let the wife see that she respects her husband.” Eph. 5:33
Self-Control – “For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.” 2 Tim. 1:7
Servant-Hearted – “As for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.” Josh. 24:15
Strength – “The Lord gives strength to his people; the Lord blesses his people with peace.” Ps. 29:11
Submission – “Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.” Eph. 5:21
Thankfulness – “Pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.” 1 Thess. 5:17-18
Trust – “There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear.” 1 John 4:18
Understanding – “Husbands, live with your wives in an understanding way…” 1 Peter 3:7
Value – “A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.” Prov. 31:10
Wisdom – “Above all else, guard your heart, for everything you do flows from it.” Prov. 4:23
Let your favor shine on us as we seek after you.
In Jesus’ name,
You may also want to read our prayer to use during a wedding ceremony: A Prayer to Pray At Weddings
Debbie McDaniel is a writer, pastor’s wife, mom to three amazing kids (and a lot of pets). Join her each morning on Fresh Day Ahead’s facebook page,http://www.facebook.com/DebbieWebbMcDaniel, for daily encouragement in living strong, free, hope-filled lives.
Find her also at and
These marriage restoration prayers are a guideline on how to pray for your marriage. Pray in faith, that God will move on your behalf. There is no guarantee you will not have problems in your marriage, even if you are a Christian. But, God has promised never to leave or forsake us.
All marriages will have trials and tribulations. Statistics can be quite discouraging, as over 50% of marriages end in divorce. Christian marriages are fiercely under particular attack because the enemy does not want strong spiritual families.
If an enemy can destroy the family unit, he can come in and wreak havoc on the parents to the children. The good news is, God has ordained marriage and wants your marriage to succeed even more than you can imagine. He has not abandoned or forgotten you or your children.
Joel 2:24 And I will restore to you the years that the locust hath eaten, the cankerworm, and the caterpillar, and the palmerworm, my great army which I sent among you.
How to Pray Prayers for Marriage Restoration
We can not control others, and God will not go against a persons’ will. He can, however, change hearts. He can bring about situations that change hearts and minds. Pray that God will touch the heart of your spouse.
The Holy Spirit will go to places we can not go, to accomplish things we cannot. These prayers are just a guideline for how to pray. When praying the prayers below, use the Word of God, because it a powerful tool against the works of darkness.
Hebrews 4:12 For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Insert the name of the person you are praying for to make the prayer personal. Do not be discouraged if things do not change right away, continue to thank God for the victory and the restoration of your marriage.
Submit your Prayer Request
Continue to Believe God for your Marriage
When going through problems in your relationship, it is easy to want to withdraw into yourself and become paralyzed with fear and depression. I encourage you to continue to attend church and consider joining a prayer group. This will provide spiritual strength and support. You will find the Lord will meet you during these times of worship to encourage and strengthen you.
Also, if you are involved in ministry, continue to minister. Remember when the enemy is not only attacking your spouse, he is attacking you. Remain prayerful and consider praying for others who are having difficulties in their marriage. Proverbs 11:25 The liberal soul shall be made fat: and he that watereth shall be watered also himself.
Prayer of Salvation
Father, I come to you in the name of Jesus. I believe that you are the son of God and that you died for the sin of the whole world. I admit that I have not done everything right. I repent of my sins and want you to change my life. Forgive my sins and come into my heart, and wash me with your blood.
I believe that you are the son of God and that you died for the sin of the whole world. I admit that I have not done everything right. I repent of my sins and want you to change my life. Forgive my sins and come into my heart, and wash me with your blood. Amen.
Prayer for a Discouraged Husband
Father, I come before you. I ask that you do a new thing in his life. Let him experience your divine love and grace. Cover him with the precious blood of Jesus. Lord, you said in your word, ” for this cause shall a man leave, his mother and father and the two shall become one flesh.” Unite us as never before and let him feel my love and support.
I cancel every assignment of the enemy to make him feel inadequate. Help me to show greater love, respect, and affection. Cause my husband to surrender every weight and burden to you Lord and bring restoration to his/her heart and mind.
Help him to trust you and seek your guidance in everything. I command every burden to be broken off his life right now in the name of Jesus. Bring him into the full knowledge of you will and cause him to be the husband and father you have called them to be. Let him walk in victory and wisdom in all he does. In the Jesus name. Amen!
Prayer against the Spirit of Adultery
Lord, I bring my marriage to you today. I discovered __________ is having an affair. I ask that you restore and heal my marriage. I know you are the restorer of the broken. Help me to be strong, and continue to seek your face.
Help me to continue to take authority over this situation. Father, you told me you have given me the power to step of serpents and scorpions and over all the power of the enemy! So, I bind every ungodly soul tie ______ has with this person! I break and destroy every plan the enemy has to hurt my family.
I pray a wedge between them, right now in the name of Jesus, and I command that all connections with this person be destroyed, right now, and I cancel every assignment of the enemy! I commit _______ to you and ask that you take out the stony heart and give _____ a heart that loves and fears you.
Father, in the name of Jesus, open _______ eyes, and cause the scales to be removed. Holy Spirit, cause ______ to be convicted of their sin. Let them no longer find enjoyment in this ungodly relationship. Remind _____ of the vows he made before you. Lord send Christians in their path to share the light and life to _______. I thank you for healing and restoring my marriage, in the name of Jesus. Amen
Prayer for your Husband
Father, I bring this couple before you today. I ask you will touch the heart of this husband that he might know your divine love. Whatever he is seeking that is not in you will let him find only emptiness.
I bind everything that is separating him from you. Send people to him to share the Gospel of your son, and let them man surrender to the highest God. Let him be, saved, healed and restored, right now, in Jesus name!
Remind him of his commitment and vow he made to his wife before you. Father, you said the king’s heart is in your hand, so I know this husband’s heart is also in your hand! Turn his heart back to his wife and family in the name of Jesus. I speak restoration of the love and this marriage, in the Name of Jesus. Amen
Prayer for Your Wife
Father in the name of Jesus, I thank you for this woman. You have said for this cause shall a man leave his mother and father and the two shall become one flesh. Father, I cancel the assignment the enemy has set forth to destroy this family.
You are the restorer of the broken. I ask that the Love of God which passes knowledge will arrest this wife. Open her eyes and her heart to you. Send laborers in her path, to minister God’s love, mercy, and His Salvation. We call it done in Jesus name!
Prayer for Marriage Restoration
Move on behalf of this couple and bring restoration to this relationship. Father, in the name of Jesus, I decree this man’s heart, is turned back to his wife, and the wife to the husband. Bring healing and restoration to their home.
Where there is no love, create love, where there is no peace, bring peace, where there is trouble, calm the storms of life, where there was confusion, bring understanding. I ask that every obstacle bringing this separation be removed, and cast into the sea, and this marriage be restored, and made whole. In Jesus name. Keep me posted! God Bless you!
Marriage restoration is a process. It is the process of changing not only your spouse but you as well. Take all of your cares to the Lord because he is the author and finisher of your faith. May the spirit of Christ cover and comfort you as you believe for the healing of your marriage.
Almighty God, You created everything in the world. You thought of it all. There is nothing lacking in what You’ve done. You are so awesome and from where I stand, I’m in awe of You. I Love You, Lord!
Gracious and Merciful Father, today I thank You for partnering me with someone special to be my spouse, whom You have also created in Your image and likeness.
You knew us before we were born and already knew we would be together. You have given us both responsibilities as husband and wife.
I trust that, as we walk in faith and unwavering love, You will protect us from the evil forces in this unpredictable world.
Ephesians 4:1-3 I, therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you to walk worthy of the calling with which you were called, with all lowliness and gentleness, with longsuffering, bearing with one another in love, endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.
Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for edification. Eph 4:29 Click To Tweet
Standing strong in the Word
As a married couple, we stand strong on Your Word which has given our relationship a firm foundation, based on faith and truth.
With You at the centre of our relationship, there is no fear that we will be fruitful and prosperous in everything we do and faithful to each other.
I thank You that as You continue to fill us with Your consuming fire, we will always thirst for You.
See also: 7 Powerful Prayers for Marriage Restoration
Genesis 2:18, 22-24 – Then the LORD God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone. I will make him a helper fit for him.” And the rib that the LORD God had taken from the man, he made into a woman and brought her to the man. Then the man said, “This at last is bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh. She shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.” Therefore a man shall leave his father and his mother and hold fast to his wife. And they shall become one flesh.
Ephesians 5:22-23, 33 – Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church, his body, and is himself its Savior. However, let each one of you love his wife as himself. And let the wife see that she respects her husband.
Renew and revive us
Abba Father, we know that we are all imperfect. So we pray that You will continue to renew us.
Revive us when we feel weak. Fill us with affection, warmth, passion and romance towards each other, especially when we lack spontaneity in our sexual relations.
With GOD at the center of our relationship, we will be prosperous and faithful in ALL we do Click To Tweet
Facing challenges in our marriage
Give us strength and humility as we face challenges in our lives. May we always have love, honour, patience and respect for each other and be motivated to shower encouraging words, both spiritually and emotionally.
I declare that as I practice these things daily, the commitment in my marriage will grow and will not be threatened by temptation.
1 Peter 3:7 – Husbands, likewise, dwell with them with understanding, giving honor to the wife, as to the weaker vessel, and as being heirs together of the grace of life, that your prayers may not be hindered.
1 Corinthians 7:5 – Do not deprive one another except with consent for a time, that you may give yourselves to fasting and prayer. And come together again so that Satan does not tempt you because of your lack of self-control.
Blessings on our marriage
By Your love and grace we are made whole. As we continue to make You first place in our lives, I declare that my marriage is blessed and highly favoured!
These mercies I pray in the beautiful, sweet sounding name of Jesus Christ, SO BE IT…Amen and Amen!
1 Corinthians 13:4-7 – Love suffers long and is kind. Love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil; does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.
Titus 2:2-5 Older men are to be sober-minded, dignified, self-controlled, sound in faith, in love, and in steadfastness. Older women likewise are to be reverent in behavior, not slanderers or slaves to much wine. They are to teach what is good, and so train the young women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled.
The following are quotes on prayer from various resources as it pertains to your marital relationship. We pray you will find them helpful for your spiritual relationship in your marriage.
• The strength of a man and wife joined together in God’s sight is far greater than the sum of the strengths of each of the two individuals. That’s because the Holy Spirit unites them and gives added power to their prayers. (Stormie Omartian, The Power of a Praying Wife)
• If you pray for yourself and not for your husband, you’ll never find the blessings and fulfillment you want. What happens to him happens to you and you can’t get around it. (Stormie Omartian, The Power of a Praying Wife)
• Prayer is your declaration of Dependence. When you don’t pray it’s your declaration of independence. It’s your way of saying “I can do this without God. (Unknown)
• Prayer works like glue in a marriage. Prayer is like a window to the heart of your spouse. We are rarely phony in prayer. We rarely stay angry at someone when we listen in on their conversations with God. People reveal more about themselves in prayer than any other form of communication. They drop the excuses and masks. They open up and are vulnerable before God. Because prayer is intimacy with God, a natural by-product of praying together is intimacy with each other.
Even one person praying can impact a marriage. We were once on a television show with a country singing artist. He told of how his wife expressed her love to him when he was living far from God. She would wrap herself next to him in bed, stroke his chest or his back, and pray blessings aloud over him. At first, he said he was irritated because she knew he didn’t really believe in God. But then he began to see God answering some of the requests. Before long, he began to ask his wife to pray over certain areas of his life and responsibilities. He began to rely on her and those nightly prayers so much that if he was on the road, he’d call home for them. Even if she was sleepy and dozing off, he’d wake her up to pray over him! Finally, love broke through, and on one of those nights in bed, he prayed and asked Christ into his life. Now they pray together, asking God’s blessings over one another each night. (Bill and Pam Farrel, “Every Marriage is a Fixer-Upper”)
• Something amazing happens to our hearts when we pray for another person. The hardness melts. We become able to get beyond the hurts, and forgive. We even end up loving the person we’re praying for. It’s miraculous! It happens because when we pray we enter into the presence of God and He fills us with His Spirit of love. I’ve seen women with no feelings of love for their husbands find that as they prayed, over time, those feelings came. Sometimes they felt differently even after the first heartfelt prayer. (Stormie Omartian, The Power of a Praying Wife) But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut the door, pray to your Father who is in secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly. (Matthew 6:6 NKJ)
• Pray for your husband —not so much for your sake but for his that he won’t miss the blessing God has for him. (Cindy Wright)
• WIVES: Pray over your husband’s clothes, that God will protect him physically, mentally, and spiritually —protecting his heart, so it will be fully yielded to God’s ways of doing things. Pray over his shoes —that he will walk only in places that God has prepared for him ahead of time, and that God will instruct him and teach him in the way he should go. Pray over his shampoo and comb that he will continually work to guard his mind against any evil that will try to invade his thoughts. Pray over his food that he will develop a deep hunger for reading God’s word and live out the principles in his every day life. Pray over their beverage glass —that God will cause them to thirst for God’s righteousness and will live his life as a man of integrity. Pray about his friendships —that he will develop strong relationships with other men who are godly. Whenever you see his wallet —pray that he will be a wise steward of your finances and all you possess, remembering that everything is entrusted to the both of you by God Himself.
• Pray for your marriage as you have never prayed before. Ask God to increase your affection toward your husband and to increase your husband’s affection toward you. Thank God for every good quality your husband has and for every sweet memory you have shared. Plead with God to deliver you from any unforgiveness or bitterness you still hold in your heart. Allow God to give you beauty for ashes. Invite Him to become the center of your life and the Lord of your marriage. (The Walk Out Woman, by Dr Steve Stephens and Alice Gray)
• HUSBANDS, you may want to pray this for your wife: Father in heaven, help me to be the man my wife needs me to be today. I know that I cannot meet her every need —only You can do that —but help me to always be caring and attentive toward her. Help me to be sensitive to her concerns and to provide for her as I ought. Enable me to listen to what she says, and to always be courteous and thoughtful toward her and encouraging to her in all her efforts. Help me always to be alert to protect her and defend her against harm or insult. Please give me the will and energy to share my heart and my thoughts with her, and to tell her the things that seem obvious and self-evident to me but may not be clear to her at all. Help me to be kind, appreciative, and fun to live with. Amen. (John Yates, How a Man Prays for His Family)
• PRAY OVER EACH OTHER. We pray together and then kiss after grace at each meal. We pray over each other quickly as we head out the door each morning. We call each other for prayer when we hit snags in our day. We pray over each other as we lie in bed before we nod off to slumber. Prayer is like duct tape. It will hold you together through anything. (Bill and Pam Farrel, Red Hot Monogamy)
• PRAY WALK TOGETHER: My brother and his wife walk four miles each morning to welcome the dawn. Before they started prayer walking, three active children, as well as community and church involvement, had them in “contestant mode.” Rather than working together, they were competing with one another over whose agenda would win out. The prayer walk became their place of connection. That connection deepened. To be around them now, you would think they were newlyweds. They kiss all the time, hang on each other, and love to retire to bed early. I believe the result of all those early morning prayer walks created an incredible connection. (Bill and Pam Farrel, Red Hot Monogamy)
• The shortest distance between a problem and a solution is the distance between your knees and the floor. The one who kneels to the Lord can stand up to anything. (Unknown)
• Never underestimate the power of praying together. God is really is in the business of answering prayer. He can break through our stubborn spirits if we give Him the opportunity. I know it’s hard to invite Him in when a quarrel is in process, but if we will do it, He will surprise us with joy and forgiveness. (Jack and Carole Mayhall, Opposites Attack)