Caring for different people every single day can take a toll on nurses. This is particularly true for nurses working in the pediatric ward. Since patients in this area are more vulnerable to stress, pain and discomfort, it’s not enough for nurses to concentrate on their physical needs. Sending out prayers can help, too because inevitably, it’s so easy for these small people to capture our hearts again and again.
Below are some of the most powerful prayers for a sick child.
Prayer For A Sick Child In The Hospital
You’re with us.
Though you are not seen,
We know that you stay by our side.
You love us,
More than we could know,
And you feel each tear that we cry.
We trust you,
To take hold of our hands,
Until we’re recovered and well.
You promise to,
Comfort and care,
Until we are laughing and playing again.
Thank you Jesus.
Prayer To Restore A Sick Child’s Health
O Lord God, I come to You for help and succor.
You have afflicted my child .
Help me to understand that You mean well.
Give me grace to bear my child’s affliction with patience and strength.
Bless me, O Father, and restore my child to health.
Do not forsake us, but give us an assurance of Your loving Kingdom.
Bless this illness to me and my child , and help us both to be better children of Yours because of it.
In the name of Your Holy Son Jesus Christ. Amen!
Prayer To St. Nicholas For A Sick Child
Saint Nicholas, who like the Savior,
loved children so tenderly and gave generously to those in need,
listen to us who plead for this sick child
who is so dear to our hearts.
We thank God for the great gift of our child
and we pray that He relieve this child of pain
and free him/her from suffering.
Obtain strength when he/she is weary,
hope when discouraged,
and joy when downhearted.
May the Lord, through your intercession,
restore perfect health if such be His divine will.
These favors, we beg of you through your love for all children.
Prayer For A Sick Child Through St. Gerard
St. Gerard, who, like the Savior, loved children so tenderly and by your prayers freed many from disease and even death, listen to us who are pleading for our sick child. We thank God for the great gift of our son/daughter and ask Him to restore our child to health if such be His holy will. This favour, we beg of you through your love for all children and mothers.
Short Prayer for A Sick Child
Heavenly Father, watch over our child, and grant that he may be restored to that perfect health which it is yours alone to give; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Prayer For A Sick Child With Chronic Illness
Dear God, I pray for (child’s name) as he/she deals with this (specific illness) so often. I know You are the Master Healer and that You also provide times that are symptom-free for this dear little one. Please comfort and protect this dear child during this hard time. Help them to know that they can come to You for the peace and health that only You can provide. Please be with the doctors as they continually study to find medicines and treatments that will comfort those that suffer from chronic illnesses. I leave this in Your precious hands oh God my Father. Amen
See Also: 9 Powerful Healing Prayers for Cancer Patients
Prayer For A Sick Child With Threatening Illness
Lord I come to You today to present (child’s name) to You. This very deadly sickness that is upon him/her is very sad to all who know and love him/her. I know that in times like this his/her Mommy and Daddy are in despair. Please keep them strong in You so that they can be a comfort to this dear little child. Please keep (child’s name) from being scared of what is happening all around him/her. I ask Your mercy so that pain would be minimal or nonexistence. I love this small and fragile little child. Bestow Your grace and peace to them and all who love them. I pray this in Jesus name, Amen.
Prayer To Bring Healing To A Child
Lord, you love our child as You love all children, Bring healing to our child who is not well. Stay by his side and comfort him through this trying time. Keep us ever mindful of Your loving presence Bless us with Your powerful healing and comfort us also. Thank You for hearing our prayer!
See Also: 20 Short But Effective Prayers for Surgery
A Prayer For My Sick Child
Loving Lord Jesus, You are the good Shepherd of the sheep and You are the One Who carries the little lambs in Your arms – and gently cares for those that are weak and afraid. Lord it is so hard to watch a child in distress and feel helpless to aid them – but I pray Lord that You would safely carry this little child and tend for him/her as only You can.
I lift up this precious child to You and ask for Your healing power to permeate through his/her frail body and return him/her to radiant health and strength. Relieve all the symptoms of this unpleasant illness that has invaded this little body – guard him/her from danger and may he/she respond to Your healing touch on his/her life.
Thank You that You are a God Who cares and loves little children and that You hear and answer prayers. Keep this precious lamb enfolded in Your arms and resting on Your bosom and raise him/ her back to full health I pray – and we will give You all the thanks and praise for You alone are worthy.
Prayer For The Recovery For A Sick Child
Almighty and most merciful God I bring before You this little child who is suffering such pain and discomfort – and I ask that in Your grace and mercy You would raise them back up into full health and strength and work a speedy recovery.
The Lord Jesus took little children in His arms of love and blessed them and I pray that in a very special way You would put Your arms of love and blessing around this little one and minister to each need and every pain.
Little ones do not understand why they are feeling so poorly and I just ask that You would have compassion for this little child and take away any fear and pain – and multiply Your grace so that they come to a quick and lasting recovery….
Thank You Lord in Jesus name we pray,
Before we go to sleep tonight, let’s offer a heartfelt prayer for a sick child somewhere out there.
♥ Connect with NurseBuff on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!
by Sharon (Arizona)
Please pray for this precious little girl.
Please Lord we ask that you heal Hope, that you come into her and take away illness, pain, or any fears associated with her cancer.
Lord we beg you to spare this child any suffering. Please Lord guide this family let them feel your amazing power and grace, bestow upon them the love, faith and guidance they will need to conquer these trials, we praise you Lord.
In Jesus name Amen
Thank you everyone who prays this prayer!
Table of contents
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer For a Sick Child”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Complete healing – I am praying for the complete healing of my son who suffered from dilated cardio myopathy since he was still one year old. I claimed …
- Prayer for child and family – I ask for y’all to pray for my child health problems mentally and physically and emotionally my child is under attack and I realize that …
- She will get better – Please pray for my daughter so her Social Aniexty leaves and she can return to normal.
- Prayer for grandson – Asking for prayer for my grandson who has an arm injury and need him cleared by doctor today.
- Healing – I would like healing for my youngest son he’s name is caneian he’s 8 years of age he’s been complaining about cramps on both side’s …
- Family and health prayer – I pray that my grandson get healed And I pray that my son get a new appealed.
- Prayers for Katie’s Hope – I have a granddaughter Katie and she is six years old. that has a rare disease called CDKL-5. It is not curable. We are having …
- God’s strength and courage – Please my God, help my sister who is taking care of very ill child. Give her strethgh and courage to carry this heavy cross.
- Prayer – My child is admitted with tb and hiv, others are not well too. TB.I pray that their test return negative.
- Pray for the children – Can you Pray for my granddaughter Saniyah and the family she has Cancer A tumor And her brain Eight years old And she’s in Hospice …
- Healing and deliverance – My adult son Nicholas is chronically ill. Please pray with me for healing of his mind, body, and spirit. He is my only son… but …
- For my daughter – For my teenage daughter who is struggling with depression and suicidal ideation.
- My daughter Annty – I’m asking for prayer for my terminally ill daughter, breast cancer spread throughout the body. She wants to live and is believing for God’s intervention …
- Healing for my Nephew Jaden – Lord, I call upon you to heal my nephew Jaden from this form of cancer called HLH. God, the Dr’s said there’s nothing more they …
- Prayer to the Holy Spirit – O holy spirit who make me see everything who show me the way to reach my ideals who gives me the divine gift to forgive …
- Stella – My granddaughter has suffered a near drowning and in need of healing prayers. Please pray for our family and please Lord allow Stella to stay …
- Prayer for my niece Nikka – Lord God Almighty, I lift Nikka’s life, sickness, and suffering to you. Please be with her O Lord, during these times of illness. She is …
- Prayer for my 14 Year Old Autistic Brother – Hi my name is Jessica and my 14 year old brother is in much need of prayer for him to get well soon. He is …
- Ms. Linda’s nephew – I have a co-worker that I met only by our love of the Dallas Cowboys. She is always very cheerful and says “Hey Baby” with …
- Healing – Almighty God I ask for your forgiveness of sins i seek your presences Lord on behalf of Tianna that I may be worthy to call …
- Praying for my family with addiction and disease – I am praying for my nephew who has a disease and my grandson who is addicted to cocaine. Lord you know their affection. And I …
- My son vihar in coma pray for him – Dear father. My son m vihar got fever on fever he got fits and it attacked to brain. He is unconscious since 1year 5months. Doctors …
- Benny Bear – Dear God, our little Bentley is sick and the doctors are having problems finding the problem. New symptoms appear. They say “just watch it” I …
- Healing for my daughter – I ask that you pray for my daughter who is in lots of pain. I have faith that God is in control. May Jesus lay …
- Healing – Asking for prayer for a little boy that broke his leg and had to have surgery asking for a speedy recovery for his life and …
- Healing – Healing in her uterus diabetes and pain Her name is Anishka
- Get better – My step son is 7 and was in a bad 4 wheeler accident he is having surgery right naw need all prayers please. Prayers big …
- Please Help – Heal my baby’s heart condition
- Health Issues – Please bless my four leg daughter (Cat) Shandy with good health and happiness forever. She’s finding herself lonely.
- Sick child – Please pray for my son Uzor who is suffering from mental illness and he is in the hospital.
- Prayer for pain – I ask for prayers for my daughter she has chest pain. Thank you
- Restore my good health – The perfection of God is expressed through me. The idea of perfect health is now filling my subconscious mind. The image God has of me …
- Restore health – Pray for Nellie that her health is restored in JESUS name this my mom who helped her mom my dad her sister now need the …
- Heal my precious young son – Hello, I ask to anyone that can find it in their heart to pray for the healing and health of my precious 9year old son. …
- Prayer for my sick son – As my 11 month old son Rushat is suffering with the severe pneumonia and he is in icu from last 15 days kindly requesting you …
- Healing – In the name of jesus ..please heal Abbas from Cancer.
- Prayer for healing – Please Lord touch my children that are struggling with illness, strife , and addiction . Touch and heal my oldest son who has battled years …
- Prayers for SK – Please send prayers for my great grandson Sawyer who was born early because his mother was addicted and died yesterday. He is very critical with …
- Prayers for our Soldier – Heavenly Father Please pray for our daughter Sarah that she be healed of this awful, 2nd round of Brain Cancer that has stopped her in …
- Prayers for our baby girl – We are asking for prayers for our one-month old baby girl Jo. She has been diagnosed with RSV and we are currently at a pediatric …
- My niece – My sister had a surgery recently and after the recovery she was released to go home as soon as my sister got home she called …
- Prayer for my son – I am requesting prayer for my son Jack Schneider as we are headed to the ER in order for him to submit & get help …
- Prayer for healing – Father God heal my child
- Please help me to protect my babies from illnesses – Please be cure my darling daughter from fever and protect my 4day old baby from that. I am so much confused. Please help us god.
- Prayer for Clarissa – Dear Lord, You are the greatest healer and I give you praise. I place my 8 months old niece, ( Clarissa ) who is undergoing …
- Heal my child – Father god please heal my child Kimora who suffers from cerebral palsy please heal her brain and take away her seizures please keep her healthy …
- Total healing for my son – I pray and ask Heavenly God to heal my son of perinatal asphyxia and to allow my son have stability health wise. So that he …
- Holly – Dear God, please help Holly find her inner self. Help to find her strength to life a whole complete life knowing You have great plans …
- Heal my son from schizophrenia – I pray that God the Father, Jesus His Son and the Holy Spirit will heal my son Charles. I pray for intercessory prayer by the …
- Prayer for Olona – Heavenly Father, I present Olona to You who has just been admitted to hospital. Lord we know that you love children, please spare her from …
- Health – I pray that my son Dante who has down syndrome will be strong and break norms of the society about disability. He must be god’s …
- Health prayer – Please pray for my grandson who is only 2 and has pneumonia. He also has asthma, a heart murmur and a rare blood disorder.
- Get well daughter – Dear God and blessed Mother Mary, please be with my Jillie. Please she is only 24 and and needs to make a Complete recovery from …
- Prayers for Penny – Penny goes into surgery on 3.7.18 for a mass biopsy and removal. Please send prayers for a safe surgery and positive outcome. Thank you all
- Healing – Kindly please pray for my niece nia Greene who is having severe belly pain right now she is hospitalized and receiving Iv treatment.praying for it …
- Healing – Please pray for my daughter Stevey Lynn (11 years old) she has been feeling tired, and the other day she blacked out with shortness of …
- Prayer for sons health – Please pray for my son. He has blood clots in leg and lung. He has a blood clotting factor. Pray that the doctor gets him …
- J’Ziah Healing Prayer – Father God, I pray for J’Ziah as he deals with this virus, fever, or flu like cold. I know You are the Master Healer for …
- Pleurisy – My son Ricky has been suffering with pleurisy for about 12 to 14 years. He ends up in the hospital almost every year. The pain …
- For my baby – My baby will delivery next month..But scan report baby have congenital diaphragmatic hernia..After delivery need surgery..till now I don’t have money…This surgery it will take …
- Healing – My teenager was hit in the head today playing football and went unconscious for a few seconds, he has a concussion but is doing well …
- Paw Paw Clarence Jr. and MAWMAW Eve – Dear God, Teach me to be gracious through whatever situations arise. I may not receive piles of money, but I will be dignified. I am …
- My daughter – My daughter has been diagnosed with a very painful disease. She is about to lose her mind in pain. Other than surgery with no guarantee …
- Pray for my nephew – Please for my nephew he has a fever and I pray that it goes away Jesus I ask humbly that you touch his body and …
- Fast recovery – Pls pray for Luke to recover for all he has gone heal his lungs
- Prayers for frail new born – Please pray for my great niece who was born too early (at 24 weeks) and is having a hard time beating the odds against her. …
- Prayer for Maya – Please pray for my Grand daughter Maya who is in the hospital suffering through some awful procedures. Thank you. God Bless.
- Prayer for Maya – Please pray for my Grand daughter Maya who is in the hospital suffering through some awful procedures. Thank you. God Bless.
- Son taken to er, – Dear Father in Heaven, My Son is at the er, Please find out what he what is making light headed, stumbling on his feet, and …
- Daughter – Dear lord, Please heal my 7 month old baby who was hospitalize a week ago due to 3 viruses. The thoughtnof seeing her with tubes …
In a previous post, Praying for a Sick Child, I shared the story of my son’s heart surgery, how God answered my whole-hearted request, and graciously taught me how to pray.
Our God, proving once again how real he is . . . providing glaring evidence of his existence.
Today I want to share a prayer (based on scripture) for parents to use as they pray for a sick child – because sometimes the words are impossible to find when the diagnosis is incomprehensible.
I know the reality of hurting so badly you can’t find words to pray. There was a time in my life when I just sat in silence before God. That, in and of itself, was prayer.
Coming empty. Devoid of words. Wasted in strength. Placing ourselves before the throne of grace.
In those times when the diagnosis is heart-breaking and we can’t find words, God hears our hearts.
When the words won’t come, friends and family can stand in the gap – uttering those concerns with lips able to speak on our behalf.
As you read this prayer, you’ll see scripture addresses. I’m not including links to those addresses like I normally do. The reason? If you’re in a crisis situation, the best thing is for you to put your hands on a physical Bible, crack open its pages, and drink in the words. As you do, you create opportunities for God to lead you to other verses that might be helpful.
Take his words to heart. They. Are. Life.
As you pray, remember how important it is for you and your spouse to be united as you pray for a sick child. Carry your child to God together.
A Prayer When Your Child is Seriously Ill
Strong and Faithful Father,
My heart is breaking for my child, (insert child’s name here). The weight of this situation is so heavy it’s difficult to breathe. My words choke out in fragments. Sometimes they don’t come at all. Articulating thoughts requires more energy than I have, so I just sit in silence.
My strength is gone. I’m anxious, Father. This situation doesn’t make sense to me. My child, (insert name here), is so innocent and vulnerable. I don’t understand why this is happening.
Help me to trust you with (child’s name) life . . . with every aspect of this situation . . . with all the pieces of my life. Keep me from attempting to rely on my own understanding because there is no way to understand this.
Help me trust you with all my heart – not just part of it. I acknowledge that everything in the heavens and earth – everything that is precious to me including (child’s name) – belongs to you. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
This is your kingdom not mine. I adore you and recognize you are in control of everything. (1 Chronicles 29:11; 1)
Your ways are higher than my ways. Your thoughts are higher than my thoughts. (Isaiah 55:8-10; Romans 11:33-34)
You are good, loving, and faithful. It’s absolutely impossible for you to do evil or to do wrong. Help me to believe this in the depths of my soul during this time. (Deut. 32:4; Job 34:10; 1 John 1:5; Psalm 86:15; Psalm 100:5)
Thank you God for remaining faithful even when I act faithless in my pain. Your love, presence, power, and promises are not dependent on my behavior. (2 Timothy 2:13)
You understand my pain. (Isaiah 53:3)
Give us strength because we are flat out weary. Help us run this grueling race with perseverance and never give up.
Help us keep our eyes glued to Jesus, our champion, who perfects our faith. In him all things hold together. We will depend on him to hold us together no matter what comes. (Colossians 1:17, Hebrews 12:1-3)
Father, I love and adore (child’s name). Thank you for entrusting (child’s name) to me. It is such a privilege being (child’s name) parent. I humbly ask you to bring complete healing to (child’s name) and make (child’s name) physically whole if that’s your will.
If it isn’t your will for (child’s name) to heal during his/her time on earth, I will still love, serve, and follow you.
I know that you are for (child’s name), not against (child’s name). No illness, disease, disappointment or setback – nothing in all the world – can separate (child’s name) from your love. (Romans 8:35-39)
I ask you to protect (child’s name) emotionally and spiritually. Give (child’s name) the strength he/she needs for each moment, each test, each prod, each pill, each surgery. (Luke 11:1-4) With your great love, drive out all (child’s name) fear and comfort (child’s name). 1 John 4:18
Even though I can’t see it now, I believe that in all things you work for the good of those who love you. No matter what happens, you will bring beauty from the ashes of this time. (Romans 8:28-29; Isaiah 61:3)
I thank you God for continuing to work good in me, transforming me into your image, and perfecting me until the day Jesus returns. Use this struggle, Father, for your glory and renown. (Philippians 1:6; 2 Corinthians 3:18)
Thank you for being with (child’s name) in the fire. There is always hope with you. (Genesis 50:20; 2 Peter 3;9; Isaiah 43:2; Isaiah 61:3)
I submit myself, this situation, and (child’s name) to you, God – 100%. I trust you with the outcome. I will rely on your strength completely.
I pray these things in the name of Jesus.
If you have a sick child, I’m truly sorry for your suffering. I know what it feels like, and wouldn’t wish that on anyone. Please let me know how I can pray for you and your family.
If you or someone you know has a child with a congenital heart defect, check out Mended Little Hearts for support, education, and to determine where parents of children with a CHD are meeting in your area.
Other links you might like:
Scriptures to Pray Over Your Family
Jesus said “… Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 19:14 cf. Mark 10:14, 18:16) Children must have been pretty important for Jesus to be quoted in three out of the four gospels. Indeed they are important and to be entrusted with children on this planet is one of the greatest honors that God gives to parents. We love them, we teach them, we discipline them and sometimes we must also witness their illness. That is when we pray the most for the children. Perhaps you need some prayers or Scriptures for a sick child. Take a look at these.
Prayers for a Sick Child
A Minor Illness
“Dear Heavenly Father, I entrust this dear child toYou as he/she suffers from what seems to be a (sickness name). Lord, I know (child’s name) is uncomfortable as he/she tries to rest. I also know that rest is so important to get beyond this minor sickness and to avoid progression to something more serious. Please give him/her the rest that they need. Lord, I lift (child’s name) up to You and know that You will perform Your perfect will for his/her recovery. In Jesus Name I pray, Amen”
A Chronic Illness
“Dear God, I pray for (child’s name) as he/she deals with this (specific illness) so often. I know You are the Master Healer and that You also provide times that are symptom free for this dear little one. Please comfort and protect this dear child during this hard time. Help them to know that they can come to You for the peace and health that only You can provide. Please be with the doctors as they continually study to find medicines and treatments that will comfort those that suffer from chronic illnesses. I leave this in Your precious hands oh God my Father. Amen”
A Severe or Death Threatening Illness
“Lord I come to You today to present (child’s name) to You. This very deadly sickness that is upon him/her is very sad to all who know and love him/her. I know that in times like this his/her Mommy and Daddy are in despair. Please keep them strong in You so that they can be a comfort to this dear little child. Please keep (child’s name) from being scared of what is happening all around him/her. I ask Your mercy so that pain would be minimal or nonexistence. I love this small and fragile little child. Bestow Your grace and peace to them and all who love them. I pray this in Jesus name, Amen.”
Healing and Encouraging Scriptures
God is Still on the Throne
Nevertheless I am continually with thee: thou hast holden me by my right hand. Thou shalt guide me with thy counsel, and afterward receive me to glory. Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion for ever. (Psalms 73:23-26)
Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquities; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle’s. (Psalms 103:2-5)
Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. (Isaiah 41:10)
Meditate Upon What You Know as Truth
My son, attend to my words; incline thine ear unto my sayings. Let them not depart from thine eyes; keep them in the midst of thine heart. For they are life unto those that find them, and health to all their flesh. (Proverbs 4:20-22)
As for me, this is my covenant with them, saith the Lord; My spirit that is upon thee, and my words which I have put in thy mouth, shall not depart out of thy mouth, nor out of the mouth of thy seed, nor out of the mouth of thy seed’s seed, saith the Lord, from henceforth and for ever. (Isaiah 59:21)
Even in the Valley
A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones. (Proverbs 17:22)
Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved: for thou art my praise. (Jeremiah 17:14)
Now unto him that is able to do exceeding abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that worketh in us, Unto him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus throughout all ages, world without end. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)
God has a Plan
For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the Lord, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. (Jeremiah 29:11)
Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also. (John 14:1-3)
Even in the darkest of days our God is an awesome God and He will continue to bless us. Our life circumstances teach us and prepare us for times to come. I am reminded of this great passage, full of hope, from Paul:
Romans 5:3-5 “… but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And patience, experience; and experience, hope: And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us. For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.”
Have you read this related prayer article?
10 Prayers for Help in Times of Need
Resources – The Holy Bible, King James Version, YouTube “Our God is an Awesome God” performed by Michael W. Smith, Image courtesy of FreeDigitalPhotos. net
Share this post
: | | | |