Updated: 8 months ago
Category: Ask Naij
As a believer, praying for a safe delivery and a healthy baby is very important because the Bible instructs us to commit everything we do into God’s hands. This articlennjnjj on prayers for safe delivery will give you some guidance in praying towards the safety of the mother and unborn child during this important process.
One of the most difficult periods for pregnant women is the delivery process. The nine months of pregnancy comes with a lot of stress both emotional and physical. The hours of labour and delivery are very important. The contractions, the pain and possibility of a surgery are all dreaded by expectant mothers. But all these are nothing compared to the joy that comes after when they hold their babies in their hands. That is why immediately after the delivery all a mother wants is to hear the cry of her baby and know that the baby is okay.
Giving birth is not easy. Expectant mothers face a lot of anxiety especially as the date they are due for delivery draws near. Some of these fears include:
- Fear of the pain they will go through and if they are strong enough to handle it and push it through.
- How long might it take?
- What if the baby is not okay? What if she or he will have life-threatening complications?
- Fear of tearing.
- Fear of the unknown among many other things.
But instead of submitting to these fears, you can follow what the Bible says in 1 Peter 5 vs 7:
“Casting all your anxieties on Him, because He cares for you.”
READ ALSO: Debate: a male child is more beneficial than a female child in Nigeria
Here is a simple prayer for pregnant women as they draw closer to their due date:
- Father, I thank You for this baby growing inside of me. I thank You because this is a gift from You because the Bible says that children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward from You. Based on Your word in Psalms 139 verse 13 which says that You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb, I believe You have been in charge of the development of this baby from day one. I thank you because You are forming every part of his/her body, every system in his/her body, every cell and tissue to the perfection of Your image. I thank You because this baby is growing without any complications. I thank You also for the strength to carry this pregnancy. Father as I approach my day of delivery I commit myself and my baby into Your hands. I pray for strength and endurance from the first contraction till the delivery of the baby and the placenta. Father as I go into labour, I pray that You will give me the strength to push the baby out on time in Jesus Name. Lord, the pain of labour is as a result of the curse on man because of sin but now that I am in the new covenant in Christ Jesus, I pray that I will experience Your grace and mercy as I labour to deliver this baby in Jesus Name. This delivery will be without complications. The baby will come out strong and healthy. And at the end of it all, I will come out smiling, rejoicing and praising You for the new joy that has come to this world through me in Jesus Name. Amen.
Bible verses you can use to pray for yourself and the baby
- “Behold, children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward.” – Psalm 127:3
- “You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body and knit me together in my mother’s womb. Thank You for making me so wonderfully complex! Your workmanship is marvellous—how well I know it. You watched me as I was being formed in utter seclusion, as I was woven together in the dark of the womb. You saw me before I was born. Every day of my life was recorded in your book. Every moment was laid out before a single day had passed.” – Psalm 139:13-16
- “Yet You brought me safely from my mother’s womb and led me to trust You at my mother’s breast. I was thrust into Your arms at my birth. You have been my God from the moment I was born.” Psalm 22:9-10
- “The Lord is my rock and my fortress and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold.” – Psalm 18:2
- “Come to me, all you who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.” – Matthew 11:28
- “Be strong and of good courage; do not be afraid, nor be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.” – Joshua 1:9
- “From the end of the earth, I will cry to you, when my heart is overwhelmed; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” – Psalm 61:2
- “For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you and not to harm you plans to give you hope and a future.” – Jeremiah 29:11
- “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” – John 14:27
- “Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” – Isaiah 41:10
- “For I, the Lord your God will hold your right hand, saying to you, ‘Fear not, I will help you.’ ” – Isaiah 41:13
You can use some of the verses above to raise more prayer points for safe delivery. You can pray them every day before the day you are due for delivery. You can also use this to pray when you begin to feel the first contraction or before you go into full labour. We wish you and your baby good health.
READ ALSO: Effective prayer points for your kids
Subscribe to watch new videos
SUBSCRIBE TO WATCH NEW VIDEOS EVERYDAY
It is the wish of every pregnant couple to have a safe pregnancy and delivery, without any form of complication. These bible verses for a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery will boost your confidence and reassure you of God’s promises to you.
Be confident that he who began a good work in you shall be faithful to carry it on to completion. It doesn’t matter if you are having a high-risk pregnancy or a low-risk pregnancy. He who answered your prayers for conception is more than able to make you carry to term and deliver your perfect and healthy babies safely.
It’s natural for you to be worried about the outcome of your pregnancy. Also, most of the birth stories we hear from other mothers, and even some weird pregnancy dreams may not help your anxiety at all!
However, worry and fear doesn’t solve anything. All you have to do is follow the steps for a healthy pregnancy and commit your pregnancy journey into God’s hands.
This is the time to pray for peace of mind and body. It is time for an increased faith and trust in God, a time to be courageous, bold and fearless. Above all, this is a time to pray for supernatural strength for the journey ahead.
Below are some powerful bible verses to comfort and encourage you through your pregnancy and labour: All verses are from the New International Version (NIV)
Bible Verses for a Healthy Pregnancy and Safe Delivery
Bible Verses for a Healthy Pregnancy
1. Psalm 23:1-4
The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing. He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters, he refreshes my soul. He guides me along the right paths for his name’s sake. Even though I walk through the darkest valley, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
2. Isaiah 26:3
You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
3. I Samuel 1:27
I prayed for this child, and the Lord has granted me what I asked of him.
4. Exodus 23:26
And none will miscarry or be barren in your land. I will give you a full life span.
5. Psalm 139:13-18
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place, when I was woven together in the depths of the earth. Your eyes saw my unformed body; all the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. How precious to me are your thoughts, God! How vast is the sum of them! Were I to count them, they would outnumber the grains of sand— when I awake, I am still with you.
6. Jeremiah 1:5
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.
7. Psalm 112:7
They will have no fear of bad news; their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the LORD.
8. James 1:17-18
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows. He chose to give us birth through the word of truth, that we might be a kind of firstfruits of all he created.
9. Jeremiah 29:11
“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.”
10. Lamentations 3:22
Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.
11. 2 Corinthians 12:9
But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
12. Isaiah 40:29-31
He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the Lord will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint.
13. 1 Timothy 2:15
But women will be saved through childbearing— if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
14. Psalm 127:3
Children are a heritage from the Lord, offspring a reward from him.
15. Isaiah 44:2
This is what the Lord says— he who made you, who formed you in the womb, and who will help you: Do not be afraid, Jacob, my servant, Jeshurun, whom I have chosen.
16. Proverbs 31:25
She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
17. Habakkuk 3:18-19
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord, I will be joyful in God my Savior. The Sovereign Lord is my strength; he makes my feet like the feet of a deer, he enables me to tread on the heights.
18. Philippians 4:6-7
Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
19. John 14:27
Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
20. Romans 8:18
I consider that our present sufferings are not worth comparing with the glory that will be revealed in us.
21. Job 22:28
What you decide on will be done, and light will shine on your ways.
22. Psalm 91
Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, “He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.” Surely he will save you from the fowler’s snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. If you say, “The Lord is my refuge,” and you make the Most High your dwelling, no harm will overtake you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread on the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. “Because he loves me,” says the Lord, “I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call on me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life I will satisfy him and show him my salvation.”
Bible Verses for Labour and Delivery
23. Psalm 121:1-3
I lift up my eyes to the mountains— where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber.
24. Philippians 4:13
I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
25. Joshua 1:9
Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.
26. Exodus 1:19
The midwives answered Pharaoh, “Hebrew women are not like Egyptian women; they are vigorous and give birth before the midwives arrive.”
27. Isaiah 43:1-2
But now, this is what the Lord says—he who created you, Jacob, he who formed you, Israel: “Do not fear, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are mine. When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze.”
28. Psalm 30:5
Weeping may stay for the night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.
29. Exodus 15:2
The Lord is my strength and my defense; he has become my salvation.
30. 2 Samuel 22:33
It is God who arms me with strength and keeps my way secure.
31. Psalm 18:6
In my distress I called to the Lord, I cried to God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ears.
32. Psalm 46:1-3
God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble. Therefore we will not fear, though the earth give way and the mountains fall into the heart of the sea, though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
33. Isaiah 41:10
So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
34. Psalm 55:22
Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous be shaken.
35. Psalm 56:3
When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.
36. Psalm 61:2
From the ends of the earth I call to you, I call as my heart grows faint; lead me to the rock that is higher than I.
37. 2 Timothy 4:17
But the Lord stood at my side and gave me strength, so that through me the message might be fully proclaimed and all the Gentiles might hear it. And I was delivered from the lion’s mouth.
38. John 16:21
A woman giving birth to a child has pain because her time has come; but when her baby is born she forgets the anguish because of her joy that a child is born into the world.
39. Matthew 11:28
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.
40. Isaiah 40:29
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
41. 2 Chronicles 15:7
But as for you, be strong and do not give up, for your work will be rewarded.
42. Psalm 34:7
The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear him,
and he delivers them.
43. Isaiah 65:23
They will not labor in vain, nor will they bear children doomed to misfortune; for they will be a people blessed by the Lord, they and their descendants with them.
44. Isaiah 66:7
Before she goes into labor, she gives birth; before the pains come upon her, she delivers a son.
45. Isaiah 66:8
Who has ever heard of such things? Who has ever seen things like this? Can a country be born in a day or a nation be brought forth in a moment? Yet no sooner is Zion in labor than she gives birth to her children.
Do you know any other good bible verses for a healthy pregnancy and safe delivery? Please share with us in the comments below.