by The Upper Room on October 19, 2015
Table of contents
LOVING GOD, we don’t always understand your timing, but we trust that you are good. We know that you hold us in your hands and wrap your love around us when we we are sad. We are sad today, Lord.
Comfort us with your presence. Grant us peace in our hearts. Fill our minds with good memories of the one we love.
You are the great Healer, and we ask you to heal our hearts today and wipe the tears from our eyes to see the hope you have set before us. Amen.
– Jenny Youngman
From page 71 of Scrambled Starts: Family Prayers for Morning, Bedtime, and Everything In-Between” by Jenny Youngman. Copyright © 2015 by Jenny Youngman. All rights reserved. Used by permission of Upper Room Books. Learn more about or purchase this book.
Pray today’s prayer. Share your thoughts.
“But it is not so among you; but whoever wishes to become great among you must be your servant, and whoever wishes to be first among you must be slave of all. For the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life a ransom for many.”
Mark 10:43-45, NRSV
This Week: pray for someone who is sick. Submit your prayer to The Upper Room Living Prayer Center or share it in the comment section below.
Did You Know?
In need of prayer? The Upper Room Living Prayer Center is a 7-day-a-week intercessory prayer ministry staffed by trained volunteers, call 1-800-251-2468 or visit The Living Prayer Center web site.
This week we remember: Howard Thurman (October 31).
(Courtesy of Vanderbilt Divinity Library)
- Job 42:1-6, 10-17
- Psalm 34:1-8, (19-22)
- Hebrews 7:23-28
- Mark 10:46-52
Sponsored by Upper Room Ministries ®. Copyright © 2015, a ministry of Discipleship Ministries | PO Box 340004 | Nashville, TN 37203-0004 | USA
Death and dying are parts of life. While some people fear them, others draw inspiration from death.
As nurses, it’s inevitable for us to see some of our patients die and their families deeply grieve for them. Although we can’t bring back their loved ones, there are still ways for us to provide comfort, strength and guidance to the families our patients left behind.
Here are 10 powerful prayers for the departed.
For the recently deceased
In your hands, O Lord,
we humbly entrust our brothers and sisters.
In this life you embraced them with your tender love;
deliver them now from every evil
and bid them eternal rest.
The old order has passed away:
welcome them into paradise,
where there will be no sorrow, no weeping or pain,
but fullness of peace and joy
with your Son and the Holy Spirit
forever and ever.
Prayer for the souls in purgatory
Eternal rest grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.
Prayer for deceased relatives and friends
Almighty Father, source of forgiveness and salvation, grant that our relatives and friends who have passed from this life may, through the intercession of the Blessed Virgin Mary and of all the saints, come to share your Eternal happiness through Christ our Lord. Amen
Prayers for the deceased for forgiveness and peace and for mourners
Lord Jesus, our Redeemer, You willingly gave Yourself up to death so that all people might be saved and pass from death into a new life. Listen to our prayers; look with love on Your people who mourn and pray for their dead brother/sister.
Lord Jesus, You alone are holy and compassionate; forgive our brother/sister his/her sins.
By dying You opened the gates of life for those who believe in You; do not let Your brother/sister be parted from You, but by Your glorious power give him/her light, joy, and peace in heaven where You live for ever and ever. Amen.
My brother (sister) in faith, I entrust you to God Who created you.
May you return to the One Who formed you from the dust of this earth.
May Mary, the angels, and all the saints come to meet you as you go forth from this life.
May Christ Who was crucified for you bring you freedom and peace.
May Christ, the Son of God, Who died for you take you into His kingdom.
May Christ, the Good Shepherd, give you a place within His flock.
May He forgive your sins and keep you among His people.
May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the sight of God forever. Amen.
Prayer for a deceased friend
I commend you, my dear to almighty God, and entrust you to your Creator.
May you rest in the arms of the Lord who formed you from the dust of the earth.
May holy Mary, the angels, and all the saints welcome you now that you have gone forth from this life.
May Christ who was crucified for you, bring you freedom and peace.
May Christ who died for you admit you into his garden of paradise.
May Christ, the true Shepherd, embrace you as one of his flock.
May he forgive all your sins and set you among those he has chosen.
May you see your Redeemer face to face and enjoy the vision of God, forever.
Prayer for unexpected death
Heavenly Father we know and believe that our times are in Your hands, but Lord it’s so often such a shock to us when a dear loved one meets with a sudden or unexpected death – through an accident or perhaps due to some unforeseen tragedy, which takes the life of someone they loved – long before it would be expected.
Lord, we bring before You today those who are having to go through such a tragic loss and pray that You would be very close to each one that is in mourning today over such a loss – and are perhaps confused or even angry that such a devastating occurrence has overtaken them – without any apparent warning.
You are the God of all comfort Who comforts us in time of need and we pray that for those that are facing such a difficult trial today. Uphold them we pray, and ask that You draw very close to them … raise up we pray, the right people to minister to them and to be a genuine comfort and support at this time of tragedy and grief.
Lord, we don’t understand why our loved ones should suddenly be removed from us through a sudden, unexpected death – but Lord we trust You to soothe away the hurt in time – for shall not the God of all the earth do right…. In Jesus name, we pray,
Prayer for deceased parents
O God, Who has commanded us
to honor our father and mother,
have compassion in Thy mercy,
on the souls of my father and mother;
forgive them their sins,
and grant that I may see them
in the joy of eternal brightness.
Through Christ our Lord.
Prayer after violent death
Father, we bring before You those that have had the devastating experience of having someone close to them that they know and love, suffer a sudden, violent and needless death. Lord how we grieve for those that are having to experience this right now, and we pray that in Your grace You would look down with pity and mercy and meet them right at their point of need.
Lord, You are the one Who was sent to heal the broken-hearted and comfort those that mourn and are heavy-laden. You are the One Who promised that Your grace is sufficient for every eventuality – even for those having to face the sudden and violent death of someone close to them. Draw near to them we pray and lift them up into You arms of love and carry them during this time of suffering and grief for You have promised that underneath are Your everlasting arms.
Lord, as we lift up in prayer those that are having to come to terms with the sudden and violent death of a loved one – we pray that You would use this tragedy to be the thing that starts to draw each suffering soul into the tender arms of their Saviour – the Lord Jesus Christ, in Whose name we pray,
Prayer for a deceased brother, relative or friend
You are, O God,
quick to pardon and desire man’s salvation.
In Your goodness we ask You to grant our deceased brothers,
relatives, and friends everlasting happiness.
With the help of Blessed Mary ever Virgin
and all Your saints,
we ask this through Christ, our Lord.
Prayer to say on the day of a person’s death
O God, Whose property is always to have mercy and to spare, we humbly beseech Thee for the soul of Thy servant N…, which Thou hast this day commanded to depart out of this world, that Thou wouldst not deliver it into the hands of the enemy, nor forget it unto the end, but wouldst command it to be received by the Holy Angels, and conducted to Paradise, its true country; that as in Thee it hath hoped and believed, it may not suffer the pains of hell, but may take possession of eternal joys.
Through Christ our Lord.
See Also: 10 Inspiring Songs To Help With Grief
Share these beautiful prayers to friends or family who need them.
♥ Connect with NurseBuff on Facebook, Pinterest, and Twitter!
Here, we have a prayer for family to ask for God’s help in strengthening a family’s bond. Sometimes, members of our families can be the cause of a lot of stress and worry.
Bring them closer to yourself, and God with this family prayer.
Prayer to Keep Family Together
Say this prayer to help bring your family closer together. Make sure to say the names of any family member you want included in the prayer. Your husband (or wife), sons, daughters, father or mother.
Use this prayer, and write your own at the bottom of this page.
A Prayer for Family
Please shine your light upon my family.
Give us strength to overcome all of the
difficulties that we are dealing with now
and protect us against any and all problems
we may encounter in the future.
O Lord, please bring us together as we
are meant to be. May the love that binds
us only grow stronger as we fulfill the destiny
you have laid out for us.
Grant my family forgiveness for any sins we
have committed. May we also forgive one
another Lord, as it is sometimes difficult to do.
Bless us Lord,
In your name I pray, Amen
Bible Verses about Family
“For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.”
Check out what the bible has to say about family with these Bible Verses.
Family is an important part of one’s life, and is also very important to God. From Adam and Eve onward, God made humans to be together with love to guide and support one another. Through prayer we can make our families stronger.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer for Family”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Salvation for my husband- Dear Heavenly Father, I left my husband up to you, I pray that he seek you with his whole heart and long for a personal… …
- The news- Please pray for a dear friend of mine that is going through a serious health condition. …
- Need for clarity and release of my burdens carried- Please pray for my family and my husband and I are at a dead end with financial struggles and it is putting a lot of… …
- Family and Ministry- My children live in the USA after I brought them there when I was pursuing my graduate studies. My daughters now live legally in the… …
- Family healing and protection- Yahweh. Please heal the afflictions that has been thrust on my family and myself. Take the burdens of these diseases from our bodies and cast… …
- Please pray for me- Please pray for me for I lost my husband of 20 years Jan 13, 2018, to a massive heart attack .I’m trying to move forward… …
- Anxiety/ elevated blood pressure- I need prayer I feel I’m losing my family .one to drug addiction .the other one moved out. I feel extremely pressured. I’ve been having… …
- Perfect Harmony- Dearest Father God, In your name I ask for happiness, peace, harmony and prosperity in my family. We need your help. We haven’t had much… …
- For family- I pray God gives me true friends and family. Gives my life direction for me and my children. And gives me a good loving God… …
- New year prayer- Please pray for me and my family for the upcoming year. …
- God’s Divine Intervention- Dear God, I am so thankful of everything you have done for me. Thank you for my medical information today. Thank you for giving me… …
- God’s Divine Intervention- Dear God, Thank you for the fast orayer response last night. Please continue to give me the wisdom to know how to make things better for… …
- Love is strength- Lord, my family & I have been through some trying times. My daughter/granddaughter & I suffer from depression. I am asking you, Lord, to supply… …
- Daughter’s mental illness- Please pray that the Holy Spirit brings hope, peace and reconciliation to God in our family. Our daughter may feel God’s love for her and… …
- God’s Divine Intervention- Dear God, Thank you for getting me through today. Lord I know you hear my prayers. I am trying to be patient with my husbands… …
- Take my hand and lead me – I am lost- Dear Lord, During this time of hardship and confusion, please guide my children by helping them feel safe and engage in their world of happy… …
- God intervene in my marriage- I’m praying to God to fix my marriage the devil is fighting since I got married I have no peace this even affect my 3… …
- Fruits of the spirit- All curses are spoken over my family and in my marriage to die. Remove all struggles and depend only on God in all we do …
- Let god my husband heart to accept Jesus- O lord touch my husband heart to know you. …
- Amen- Prayer for my family,finances and business. …
More prayers posted in: Family