Losing a loved one can bring about a sudden feeling of shock and trouble. Reciting a traditional prayer for comfort can help to bring you consolation and reassurance. Here is a look at some great prayers for loss of a loved one.
Comfort me with Your love O God
Wrap me up in Your strong embrace
Shelter me from the storm O Lord
Envelop me in Your tender care
By day I pour out my heartbreak to You
By night I give you my racing thoughts
In You I take refuge
In You I will not be afraid
For you hold me strong, You hold me safe
Calm my fearful heart O God
Still my anxious mind O Lord
For all my life is found in You
All my being is given to You
All my hope begins in You
Lord, at the moment nothing seems to be able to help the loss I feel.
My heart is broken and my spirit mourns.
All I know is that Your grace is sufficient.
This day, this hour
Moment by moment
I choose to lean on You,
For when I am at my weakest Your strength is strongest.
I pour out my grief to You
And praise You that on one glorious day
When all suffering is extinguished and love has conquered
We shall walk together again.
Our Father in heaven, may Your Name be honored. There is none greater than You. You are our refuge and strength. You are always ready to help in times of trouble. We praise You, Lord. We lift our hearts with praise. It is good to sing praises to You, our God; how delightful and how right! Lord, You are great and mighty in power. Your understanding is infinite. We thank You, Father, for the life of our loved one(s) who have gone on to be with You. Thank You for their time on earth and the impact they had on our lives. We are thankful to You and we bless Your Name.
Father, You can count the stars and call them all by name. Your power is absolute. Your understanding is beyond comprehension. You support the humble and bring the wicked down into the dust. You comfort those who mourn. We declare that those grieving the death of a loved one; mourning will turn into dancing. We confess that You are their rock, fortress, and Savior in whom they will find protection. You are their shield, and the strength of their salvation. Father, You are their stronghold. As they call on You, You have promised to answer. We believe that You will be with them during this period of bereavement, rescue them from grief, honor them, and give them Your salvation.
Father, we ask You to send Your peace to those persons who are mourning. Continue to surround them with family, friends and loved ones who will offer words of comfort. Give them sweet and restful sleep. Father, remove the spirit of heaviness, and give them garments of praise. In due time, bless their lives to overflow with laughter and joy again. As they take refuge in You, please help them to put their trust in You. Holy Spirit, we ask that You settle the hearts and minds of those who are feeling any guilt, resentment, bitterness, or anger. Help them not to look back but to press forward.
Father, forgive the bereaved for any sins they have committed through thoughts, words, or deeds. Forgive them if they have not meditated on Your Word to find comfort. Father, forgive them if they have not been totally submissive to Your perfect will for their lives. Forgive them for any hurtful things they may have said or done to the deceased. Lord, help them to forgive the deceased if necessary. Please remind them of anyone they need to forgive; and help them to forgive quickly.
Loving Father, I am finding it so hard to even get up out of bed to start the day, knowing that I have to face it alone and without the one I love so dearly – I know that without Your grace and sufficiency I could never get through the day – but I thank You that You have promised to be with me and to provide me with Your strength for the day as well as bright hope for tomorrow.
I can’t imagine tomorrow being anything but a day filled with pain – as I do not have my loved one beside me, but I ask that in Your grace You will give me the strength to get through today, step by step – knowing that You are there to carry me, even when my heart seems to fail from the grief and pain that I am going through.
Thank You that You have promised to carry our pain and thank You that Your grace is sufficient for every eventuality in our lives. Give me the strength and to cope with the loneliness I feel and help me to move forward in my life-plans, knowing that You are with me, to support and strengthen.
Give me hope for tomorrow – for my hope and my trust is in You, Lord. Hold me close I pray and thank You for always being with me and the great comfort that I have in knowing You, as my own dear Saviour and friend.
Loving Lord and Heavenly king, I want to lift up some dear friends of mind that are going through much grief at the moment and are finding it so difficult to come to terms with all that has taken place in the last few days…
I humbly ask that You would come to them and provide the comfort they need to come to terms with all that has happened – and the strength to face the reality that things will never be as they were.
Lord I know that their grief seems to be overwhelming them and I am hurting for them, and know not what to do to help – and so I am coming to You to in prayer, to ask that You will meet each of them at their point of need and help them to turn to You at this sad time.
I pray that as the day passes Your healing touch will comfort and succour them in this time of distress and may this be a thing that causes each of them to draw closer to You, knowing that You alone can heal the broken-hearted and bring joy out of pain.
Thank You Lord for being there for me and into Your hands I place each one of these dear ones who have such sadness in their hearts – I KNOW in Whom I believe and an confident that You will bring good out of this situation – and to You be all the praise and glory, Amen
Loving Lord I am filled with grief and sadness at the loss of my precious loved one – and yet that pain is tinged with gold, knowing that they trusted you as their Saviour and that they are now in Your presence.
I know that I am going to miss this precious one, who has been my strength and my joy for so long, and thank You for the precious times we had together.
Often Lord I expect my dear one to just be there, or walk through the door – and then remember that they have gone home to be with You. At times this is quite hard and yet I know that I must not grieve as those that have not hope in Jesus – but rejoice knowing that the day is coming when we will be together with You and You will wipe away all tears from our eyes – but at the moment my loss is like an open wound – and I pray that You will heal my brokenness and the loneliness I feel… and draw me every closer into Your arms of love my Lord and my God.
Thank You for all You are to me and may I rest in You in Jesus name, Amen
My heart is reaching out to you,
For what you’re going through;
I’m thinking of you frequently
And praying for you, too.
If there’s something I can do,
Anything at all,
Think of me thinking of you,
And don’t hesitate to call.
When someone we love passes away,
We ache, but we go on;
Our dear departed would want us to heal,
After they are gone.
Grief is a normal way to mend
The anguish and pain in our hearts;
We need time to remember and time to mourn,
Before the recovery starts.
Let’s draw together to recuperate,
As we go through this period of sorrow;
Let’s help each other, with tender care
To find a brighter tomorrow.
If we could bring you back again,
For one more hour or day,
We’d express all our unspoken love;
We’d have countless things to say.
If we could bring you back again,
We’d say we treasured you,
And that your presence in our lives
Meant more than we ever knew.
If we could bring you back again,
To tell you what we should,
You’d know how much we miss you now,
And if we could, we would.
If there was ever a time in my life I was weak, it was the days, weeks, and months after my daughter died. To know that God’s strength was at it’s best when I needed it the most gave me courage to take another breath. It seems impossible to “glory in my affirmities” when you don’t feel you have the strength to go on with your life, but God’s grace *is* sufficient. There is power through Christ Jesus to sustain you when nothing else can. You must allow Him to carry the burden – there are things too big for us to handle on our own. We cannot as mothers (and fathers) get through the loss of a child and retain any sanity without His help.
I don’t think it’s wrong to ask “why” – I have many times over the years. But you have to recognize God’s authority and know that whatever purpose there was for your child, it was fulfilled during the time you carried him or her. We don’t understand all of it, and honestly I don’t believe we have the capacity to. But I take comfort knowing that one day, God will hold me close and explain it to me in a way that I can understand.
Praise God that He is close to those who are suffering. He knows the pain we’re going through and He keeps us from being consumed by it. I know without a doubt that had it not been for the grace of God, I would have come through my daughter’s death a bitter and downtrodden woman. But through His love and compassion, He saved me from being crushed by the weight of the burden I carried. My heart still aches for my baby and it’s been seven years since she died – the ache has dulled some with time, but I don’t believe it will ever go away completely. I still cry at times talking about her, but I rest in the knowledge that God is near and will continue to carry me if I allow Him to. It’s a choice – a conscious decision you have to make. You have to acknowledge that you need help getting through it, and God is the only answer.
Dianne Gray, head of the Elisabeth Kubler-Ross Foundation discusses the five stages of grief and the classic book, ‘On Death and Dying.’
It is never easy to find the right words of comfort when someone we know suffers the loss of a loved one. But in times of grief, a few well-spoken words goes a long way in providing some measure of peace. As a Christian, a call, a prayer and a visit often helps. Here are some sympathy, condolence messages that can help you form your own words of comfort.
Read also Prayer For Those Grieving the Loss of Loved Ones
- After the tears have dried and the goodbyes have been said, all we have to hold onto are the happy memories that we’ve shared with our loved ones who have passed, this is what keeps them alive in our hearts and in our minds, and they will continue to live on, through us.
- Although no words can really help to ease the loss you bear, just know that you are very close in every thought and prayer.
I admired for his/her strength of character and his/her faith. I will continue to be inspired by the actions he/she took and the things he/she said while he/she was alive. He/she will live in my memories.
- I am at a loss of words, and I don’t know what to say to you to help you feel better. Please accept my condolences anyway. I’ll be praying for you.
- I am praying for you to get through this time with the peace that comes from the knowledge that God loves you and that He will take care of you.
- I am praying for you to have peace and strength at this time. You have my deepest sympathies.
- I am truly sorry to hear of the loss of (insert Name of deceased here.). Please accept our condolences and may our prayers help comfort you and hasten the journey of his/her soul to Heaven.
- May our Lord bless and comfort you and your family during this time of grief. Please accept my sincere condolences.
- Please accept our condolences, just know that we are here for you, and please do not hesitate to reach out, especially during this difficult time.
- My deepest sympathies go out to you and your family. May God give you the comfort and peace that you seek and may the soul of your loved one rest in peace.
- I cannot even begin to understand what you are going through right now, but I would like to offer my prayers and condolences to you and your family.
- In this tough time in your life, may my friendship, sympathy and heartfelt condolences bring you comfort.
- Those who are asleep will awaken on the day the Lord comes for us all.
- We are deeply saddened by your loss, our hearts go out to you and your loved ones and may our prayers guide soul to our Heavenly Father.
- We are saddened by your loss however, we celebrate the life of . We know she is watching down from Heaven. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
- We pray that God will give you strength and courage in your time of bereavement. Take comfort in friendship, prayer, and peace in love.
- We pray that the love of God enfolds you during your difficult times and that he helps you heal with the passage of time.
- After the tears have dried and the goodbyes have been said, all we have to hold onto are the happy memories that we’ve shared with our loved ones who have passed, this is what keeps them alive in our hearts and in our minds, and they will continue to live on, through us. My condolences.
- My heart is filled with sorrow upon hearing the news about the your (insert relationship of deceased to bereaved here.) passing. My most sincere condolences go out to you and your family.
- I would like to offer you and your family our deepest and most sincere condolences and may the soul of your (insert relationship of deceased to bereaved here) rest in peace.
- Dear (insert Name of bereaved here), I am terribly sorry to hear about the passing of your (insert relationship of deceased to bereaved here.). May my condolences bring you consolation and peace during this painful time.
- In this sorrowful time, I would like to extend to you my heartfelt condolences. May our Lord comfort you and your loved ones.
- May my condolences bring you comfort and may our prayers ease the pain of this loss.
- May our Lord bless and comfort you and your family during this time of grief. Please accept our sincere condolences.
- Only God can know what you are feeling in your heart now, and only He can restore your spirit. I am available to pray with you anytime.
- Our hearts are saddened by your loss and our thoughts and prayers are with you. May the memories of and the love of family surround you and give you strength in the days ahead.
- Our prayers and thoughts are with you and your family during this difficult time. May the comfort of God help you during this time of need.
- Perhaps they are not the stars, but rather, openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.
- Prayers and fond memories are what we have to remember our dearly departed. May the love of family and friends comfort you during these difficult days, our most heartfelt condolences.
- In the hard times caused by the departure to the angels in the sky of his dear brother, we are with our colleague (Name), with thoughts of comfort and compassion. God rest him in peace.
- A prayer, my thoughts of love, flowers and many tears is all I can offer now, when your soul is summoned to heaven, leaving a grieving mother desolated forever. I loved you and I will forever keep you in my heart, my dear son.
- A gentle soul ascended to heaven, leaving behind a lot of pain and anger. We say goodbye to our friend.
- We forever support the family of (Name), now that she has been separated from the man that was a father, grandfather and father-in-law.
- With boundless heartache, we announce the separation from our beloved father and grandfather. May God bless his soul.
- In a time of great ordeal, we are with our colleague and her family at the separation from her loved father. May God give him eternal rest and may He put his soul where the righteous rest. Sincere condolences.
- You went to heaven too soon, leaving behind you only tears and pain. May God rest your soul.
- All my life I will remember your kindness and love. May God forgive you of your sins, and may you stay with the angels up there, in a place free from pain and suffering.
- Pious homage, honor and remembrance in memory of the man who was a husband, son in law, brother, brother in law and uncle.
- Tears and flowers will now be brought to your grave and your sad gentle eyes will be just a memory. God’s forgiveness and eternal rest come upon the man who was a husband, son in law, brother and uncle.
- A good heart has stopped beating, a good soul rose to heaven, closer to God. The pain of losing a brother and uncle will forever remain in our hearts.
- He left this world after a long, hard suffering, the best husband, father and grandfather. May God keep you beside him, so you may watch over us.
Best Articles and Prayers Related to Grief
Looking for even more? Why not share one of these prayers with someone who may need it.
A Sad Heart – A Prayer Against Sadness A Prayer For those suffering tragedy A Prayer for Widows Prayer For Those Grieving the Loss of Loved Ones Prayer for Strength After The Loss of a Loved One Prayer – Life After Death
Bible Verses for Sympathy Cards
“O LORD, you hear the desire of the afflicted; you will strengthen their heart; you will incline your ear.” Psalm 10:17
“The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18
“God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.” Psalm 46:1 “From the end of the earth I call to you when my heart is faint. Lead me to the rock that is higher than I.” Psalm 61:2
“When the cares of my heart are many, your consolations cheer my soul.” Psalm 94:19
“When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you; when you walk through fire you shall not be burned, and the flame shall not consume you.” Isaiah 43:2
“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.” Matthew 5:4
“Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” John 14:2
“Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.” Isaiah 41:10
“And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phillipians 4:7
“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding, but in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your path.” Proverbs 3:5-6
“Come to me, all who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.” Matthew 11:28
“Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.” Corinthians 1:3–4