Here’s a critical truth for Christ-followers: if we’re alive, it’s for the purpose of fruitful labor (Philippians 1:22).
In a word, we’re here for work.
When we offer Him our five-loaves-and-two-fish worth of effort, He multiplies it in ways we can’t even imagine.
The thing is, all too often I distort this truth by forgetting that the work doesn’t start with me, and it’s not accomplished by my own strength.
God is the One who calls me, and He is the One – the only One – who can equip me.
So whether your ministry is in your church or your community, will you join me in praying the Scriptures over your service to the Lord?
Prayers for Ministry
Pray that all that you do in your ministry would be done in love (I Corinthians 16:14). Acknowledge to the Lord that any other motive will profit you nothing (I Corinthians 13:1-3), and ask Him to keep your purpose pure.
Agree with God that He is the Creator and Sustainer of all things, including your area of ministry, so that in all things He might have preeminence (Colossians 1:17-18). Share with Him that you want Him to be preeminent in your ministry.
Ask the Lord to help you work heartily, as for the Lord and not for men, knowing that from the Lord you will receive the inheritance as your reward. Confess to God that you are serving the Lord Christ with the goal of pleasing Him, and not other people (Colossians 3:23-24).
Claim God’s promise that as you wait for the Lord you will renew your strength, mounting up with wings like eagles, running and not growing weary, walking without becoming faint (Isaiah 40:31).
Thank God for the example of Jesus Christ, who came to earth not to be served, but to serve others and give His life as a ransom for many (Matthew 20:28). Pray that you would be willing to sacrifice whatever God asks, in order to serve Him well through your ministry.
Pray that God’s grace would equip you to let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven (Matthew 5:16). Ask Him to keep you from serving with the purpose of bringing glory to yourself.
Ask for God’s grace to help you fear the Lord and serve Him faithfully with all your heart, ever remembering what great things He has done for you (I Samuel 12:24). Pray that you would serve devotedly, from a heart overflowing with gratitude for all God has done for you.
Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for demonstrating to me a life sacrificially devoted to ministry and service. I confess that my natural tendency is to serve myself, and I pray that You would help me to follow in Your footsteps, remembering how much You have done for me. It’s in the name of my Savior, Jesus Christ, that I pray. Amen.
We Must Depend on God’s Power to Pray and Attribute Results to His Power
Read James 5:16 in the various translations:
“The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective” (NIV).
“The effective prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much” (NASB).
“The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much” (KJV).
“The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and wonderful results” (NLT).
The Greek seems to point to two aspects of power. One is the energy put forth in praying and the other is the effect of those prayers.
What gives us power in prayer is that we make our petition in the authority of Jesus Christ. Even the righteousness referenced in this verse is that of Christ’s. Scripture is clear that no one is righteous in oneself (Rom. 3:10-12). Praying “in Jesus’ name” means more than tacking the phrase on to the end of the prayer. When we pray in Jesus’ name, we are claiming His identity, His righteousness, and His authority. Therein is power in prayer. This kind of prayer can’t help but to have power.
The results are powerful in the sense that something will happen. Be careful not to be discouraged or disillusioned if the results are not manifested in big ways … obvious miraculous power. When God answers prayer with peace, wisdom, or grace, you have power.
peace . . . . power to make it through the hard times
wisdom . . . . power to know what to do
grace . . . . power to be Christ-like in the midst of a dark, sinful world
Prayer is powerful because God is powerful. As the Almighty, omnipotent God, He has the ability to do what we ask. As the Sovereign Lord of all creation, He has the authority to do what He knows is best in a given situation.
One way to emphasize the Power Source is to begin times of prayer with praise and thanksgiving acknowledging His Lordship and might.
- Incorporate praise for answered prayer.
- Build follow-up into your structure. One possibility is to have people journal prayer requests and answers they have seen. Brief sections of what they wrote could be read or compiled and then distributed.
Order the Prayer Ministry Manual for a brief exegesis of Ephesians 3:20 regarding God’s power and a look at the example of Elijah’s prayer for how “the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective” (James 5:16-18).
For More on what will help you develop and maintain an effective Prayer Ministry, read the following:
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires Personal Relationship
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires Having the Right Purposes for Praying
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires A Passion for Prayer
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires that it is a Priority
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires Adherence to Biblical Principles
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires and Results in Power (this post)
- Effectiveness in Prayer Requires that it be a Permanent Practice
- Planning Strategies for Effective Corporate Prayer
- Preparing Others to Join Your Prayer Efforts
- Promoting Prayer Successfully
Praying the Word of God helps us hit the mark, aligning us with His will. We’ve created a series of one-page, downloadable prayer guides designed to guide you as you pray the Scriptures for:
- Israel: targeted requests to help you pray for the nation of God’s people
- The Jewish people: specific Biblical ways you can bless and intercede for God’s people around the world
- Jewish Voice Ministries International: invest in this ministry by lifting us up to God in prayer
- Our Outreaches: though each outreach location is different, there are some vital needs that remain constant regardless of where we go
Pray for Israel
Do you want to know how to pray for Israel in greater detail and depth? Jewish Voice Ministries has put together this Intercessory Prayer Guide for Israel that provides focused, targeted requests to help you pray for the nation of God’s People. We hope this prayer guide can help both Messianic Jews and Christians pray their support for Israel.
Praying for Jewish People
You love Israel and the Jewish People. You want to bless them and pray for them, but sometimes it’s difficult to know just what to pray. Here is handy list of detailed, biblical ways you can pray for Jewish People around the world.
Praying for Jewish Voice
The ministry of Jewish Voice is upheld by the prayers of our partners. We are so grateful for your prayer! We can’t do it without you and your prayers! Here are some specific ways you can invest in the ministries of Jewish Voice by lifting us up to God in prayer.
Praying for Outreaches
Your prayers for our outreaches make a big difference! Though each outreach location is different, there are some vital needs that remain constant regardless of where we go. Here are some specific ways you can pray.
Blessing Scripture Statements
These blessing decrees are based on Scripture. Believe and declare them over your life. Personalize them, memorize them, share them, and pray them over others. You are blessed!
Support and Prayer for Israel
Declare Israel’s identity:
“For the sake of His great name the LORD will not reject His people, because the LORD was pleased to make you His own” (1 Samuel 12:22).
For this is what the LORD Almighty says: “After He has honored me and has sent me against the nations that have plundered you—for whoever touches you touches the apple of His eye” (Zechariah 2:8).
For the LORD’s portion is His people, Jacob his allotted inheritance (Deuteronomy 32:9).
You shall also be a crown of splendor in the LORD’s hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God (Isaiah 62:3).
You shall be called Hephzibah , and your land Beulah ; for the LORD will take delight in you, and your land will be married (Isaiah 62:4).
They shall call them the Holy People, the Redeemed of the LORD; and you will be called Sought After, the City No Longer Deserted (Isaiah 62:12).
Intercede for Salvation for Israel and Jewish People Everywhere:
- For Israel to turn to the Lord so the veil may be taken away (2 Corinthians 3:11-16), and for their spiritual blindness to be removed.
- Pray based on the Lord’s promise that all Israel will be saved, as it is written: “The Deliverer will come out of Zion, And He will turn away ungodliness from Jacob; for this My covenant with them, when I take away their sins” (Romans 11:25-27).
- Proclaim also God’s promise that “He will cleanse them and give them a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh” (Ezekiel 36).
Pray for Israel and Her People by Calling on the Lord Regarding:
- Her leaders
- Those who protect her
- Her allies—may the United States be one!
- Her challenges
- protection from the ongoing threat of war and terrorism from her enemies
- pray for God to deal swiftly and justly with those who hate Israel and the Jewish People, and who seek to destroy them
- pray for God’s solutions and provision for border disputes, housing and water shortages, incoming refugees, and other troubling internal issues
- Her resources
- pray for the boldness of Christian and Messianic Believers around the world through their advocacy and prayers for Israel
- pray for a deep unity in the Spirit among all Believers in Israel that allows for an effective working together regardless of political ideologies
- pray for the protection and effectiveness of ministries within and outside Israel such as Jewish Voice who are reaching out to Jewish People with the Good News of Yeshua, discipling new Believers, and establishing congregations
- pray for and praise God for His faithfulness to her, and for His ongoing commitment to His many promises on her behalf
Last but not least, pray for the peace of Jerusalem and all Israel—a cry that will find its ultimate fulfillment in the Sar Shalom—The Prince of Peace, Yeshua Himself. — Psalm 122:6
Praying for Jewish Voice Ministries
Proclaim the Lord’s Blessing and Fulfillment of Our Vision:
Jewish Voice Ministries is dedicated to proclaiming the Gospel of Yeshua (Jesus) to the Jew first and also to the Nations throughout the world, according to Romans 1:16.
We are also dedicated to equipping the Church by providing education about the Hebraic roots of Christianity, the Church’s responsibility to Israel and the Jewish People, and how to share Yeshua with the Jewish People.
In addition, JVM partners with several other Messianic ministries to establish and operate Messianic Jewish Bible Institutes around the world to train leaders for Jewish ministry, as well as the establishment of the Messianic Career Institute. — Ephesians 4:12
Key Verses to Pray:
“Write down the revelation and make it plain on tablets so that a herald may run with it” (Habakkuk 2:2).
“May the favor of the Lord our God rest upon us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands” (Psalm 90:17).
Pray through and declare all of Psalm 91, which is a conditional covenant between God and His people. Pray that we as a ministry would consistently and consciously dwell in the Presence and provision of the Lord, and that as we abide in Him and declare Him boldly as our God in whom we trust (vs. 1-2), we would continually be blessed by the protection the Lord promises for us in the rest of the Psalm – protection from the enemy’s schemes, from illness, terror, and harm; not only for us but for all that pertains to us and our ministry, including our partners and prayer partners!
Other Prayer Points:
For our leadership:
- Pray for godly leadership, wisdom, clarity of vision, and protection for Jonathan Bernis, our Jewish Voice Board, and our other JVM leaders.
- Pray especially for the Lord to impart to us a focused understanding and passionate application of the Lord’s call to us as a ministry in these End Times, and the corresponding anointing, strategies, and resources to fulfill it
For our staff and ministry as a whole:
- For each of us to experience and sustain a vibrant relationship with the Lord
- For every aspect of our ministry to be fruitful and Spirit-led
- For effective and productive business practices
- For deep unity of vision, mission, and relationships
- For blessing, favor, and shalom not only on us, but on all of the wonderful friends and partners of Jewish Voice
Also pray for:
- The Lord to continue to use us to bring blessing and unity throughout the Messianic movement, and the Body of Messiah as a whole
- Boldness and fruitfulness as we proclaim the Good News through television, print, and online media
- Protection, stamina, and courage for our Global Outreach team; and salvations, healings, and encouragement for those we minister to as we bring the Good News in person to international locations through our medical outreaches and Hear O’ Israel! Festivals
- Effective follow-up through planting new congregations to nurture and disciple new Believers. Pray also for the building up of existing congregations
- Supernatural faith leading to supernatural effectiveness in every area of our ministry
- Pray for the Lord to be glorified in every aspect of our lives and ministry! May His will be done and His Kingdom come in and through us
Keep tracking with us through our Prayer Points emails and our prayer blog—and PRAISE the Lord as well, as together we see the answers to our prayers!
Now to Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to His power that is at work within us, to Him be glory in the body of believers and in Messiah Yeshua through all generations, for ever and ever! Amen (Ephesians 3:20-21).