Whether you’re part of a blended, single-parent, foster, adoptive, or traditional two-parent family, your family is important to God. You can ask him for anything in regard to your family as long as it’s in line with his heart, his desires . . . and essentially, His will. (See scripture prayers at the bottom of this post.)
Just so you know, family unity is definitely “according to his will.”
“Families are the basic, foundational social units in all human communities around the world, and healthy individuals within healthy families are at the core of a healthy society.” University of Nebraska – NebGuide by UNL Extension Family Life specialists and educators. (John DeFrain, Gail Brand, Jeanette Friesen, Dianne Swanson)
Healthy families are good for all of us, because the state of the family directly impacts the state of our society.
Strong families produce children who have the tools to grow up to become healthy, mature, well-adjusted adults.
- 1 The family unit is:
- 2 How God designed the family:
- 3 Scripture prayers for your home and family:
- 4 Prayer for Family Unity
- 5 Prayer for Protection Over Family Members
- 6 Prayer for a Troubled Family Relationship
- 7 Prayer for Grandchildren
- 8 Prayer for Your Family’s Strength
- 9 Prayer for a Healthy Pregnancy
- 10 Verses:
The family unit is:
- God’s idea
- God’s design
- An expression of God’s nature and essence (The Truth Project, Del Tackett)
How God designed the family:
When God formed the earth, flinging stars in the sky, and creating life, he said, “Let us make man in our image, after our likeness.”
When he says “us”, he’s referring to the active participation of every member of the godhead in creation. Father. Son. Holy Spirit.
There’s community and relationship within God between:
God the Father . . . God the Son . . . God the Holy Spirit.
(John 10:30, 2 Corinthians 13:14, John 4:34, Matthew 26:39)
Within family, we’re meant to experience the same intimacy, oneness, community, and fellowship God experiences in the godhead. That’s his plan for our families.
Family members are meant to take care of one another, and sacrifice for “us.” But we’re each imperfect and we live with imperfect people. Rather than fighting with our families, it’s important to fight for our families.
Praying hard. Praying often.
Here are some powerful prayers you can use to pray for strength, unity, forgiving hearts, harmony, and steadfast love within your family. These prayers are powerful because they’re based on the things God has had inspired men write down for our benefit.
Scripture prayers for your home and family:
- “Father God . . . I ask you to help each member of our family (name them) to be completely humble and gentle in our interactions with each other; and to be patient, bearing with one another’s faults in love – even when we’re tired, frustrated, angry, or hurt. Help us Father, to make every effort to remain united in the Spirit in this home. Please bind us together in peace.” Ephesians 4:2-3
- “Gracious God . . . help us (name your family members) to love each other fervently. Grow our love so deep that it is able and willing to overcome and forgive a multitude of sins. Inspire a spirit of hospitality in (family member names) and enable us to cheerfully share our home with those who need a meal or a place to stay. God I acknowledge that you have given each one in this family spiritual gifts. Help us to put our own needs aside and use those gifts to serve one another well. We will rely on the strength and energy you alone supply. I pray that everything we do within this family unit will bring you glory through the One who lives in us – your Son, Jesus Christ. 1 Peter 4:8-11
- “God – you are the One who gives us perseverance and encouragement. In you, we have hope. Help our family (name family members) live in complete harmony with each other, as is fitting for followers of Jesus Christ.” Romans 15:5
- “Loyal and trustworthy God, help my spouse (insert name here) and I to honor our marriage and clearly see how valuable and precious it really is. As we honor our marriage to one another, and our covenant with you, help us keep our marriage bed pure.” Hebrews 13:4
Other links you may be interested in:
Scriptures to Pray Over Your Family
Bible Verses About Family
Are You a Prayer Worrier or a Prayer Warrior?
Strong, united families are not only good for our children, they’re a refreshing and beautiful reflection of God’s glory in the world.
Because families are worth fighting for . . .
Prayer for families is the very foundation that keeps a family unit together. Have you heard the phrase “A family that prays together stays together”? The concept is true – a family that has their focus on praying to the Lord Jesus Christ has a foundation that may be shaken at times, but it will withstand all that comes against them.
It’s important for parents to have their children involved in family prayer because this helps build the children’s relationship with the Lord and also teaches them the importance of prayer. Families that pray together establish trust with one another, learn to pray in a fellowship, and come in agreement through Jesus. These disciplines help bring unity to the household.
The family is a small church and our ministry first starts at home. In 1 Timothy 3:5 we read, “If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God’s church?” Managing your family is caring for each member, teaching them God’s ways, leading them to grow in the Lord, and equipping them for adult life. Prayer is an important element in this process. A family who has a heart of prayer for each other will have a heart of prayer for the world.
Prayer for families can be done in a variety of ways – by you in your prayer closet, by praying together with your spouse, praying together as a family unit, and praying with friends. Praying for your family not only lays a foundation for family life, it also surrounds your family with protection and peace.
In many cases, the Lord reveals specific needs for your family members. He reveals pain that they may be feeling or certain things that are drawing them away from fellowship with Him. Praying for your family can give you insight from the Lord and most of all, prayer will bring you comfort as God reminds you of His promises. Perhaps some members of your family do not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. Prayer for the unsaved is vital.
Prayer for Families – Sample Prayers
- Prayer for protection and provision – Father, Thank you for my family. I ask that you bless them with Your favor. Provide for all of their needs. I ask You to protect them from harm and evil. Surround them in the shadow of Your wing. Go before them and prepare the way for them. If any path is crooked, I ask you to make it straight. Protect them from the schemes of the enemy and keep them from deception. Bring Your perfect peace to their hearts. In Jesus name I pray, amen.
- Prayer for unity – Father, I thank you for blessing me with my family. I ask you to bring us into unity through You. I ask that anything that is hidden in darkness – to cause disunity – will be brought to light. I ask You to lead us into Your perfect truth and help us to be the family You intend us to be. Lord, help us to be a blessing to one another and to others. Reveal Yourself to us and let us come into agreement with You. Lead us in Your ways. Grant us compassionate hearts, fill us with Your love that does not keep records of wrong, and bring joy to our hearts when we think of one another. Bring Your perfect peace and unity into our family. In Jesus name I pray, amen.
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
– We have all
and deserve God’s judgment.
, the Father, sent His only Son to satisfy that judgment for those who believe in Him.
, the creator and eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He
for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was
rose from the dead
according to the
. If you truly believe and trust this in your heart, receiving Jesus alone as your
, declaring, “
Jesus is Lord
,” you will be saved from
and spend eternity with God in heaven.
What is your response?
Yes, today I am deciding to follow JesusYes, I am already a follower of JesusI still have questions
Family Unity. It is a treasure to us all, and something very precious to each of us. The Lord blesses us with family members to lead, counsel, love and take care of, and in exchange, our family does the same for us. Praying for our family is something we should do daily. Whether someone you love needs God’s grace in a hard situation, or you simply want to bless his or her walk in life through our Lord Jesus Christ.
If the need for prayer and protection for your family and loved ones is what you are seeking most, whether in your own life, or in the life of someone you love, let us pray for you at the holiest place on earth, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. We have faith that sending your prayer to the place where our Lord Jesus Christ gave his life for us will help your request be granted! It is our honor and privilege to be a prayer warrior for you, and to ask the Lord to watch over you, protect you, and keep you, always. Please submit your prayer request today.
They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” Acts 16:31
Prayer for Family Unity
Lord, I want to thank You for this precious family of mine. For the talents and good things that You have given each of us. Please keep us united, and our bond strong as the days pass. Please guide us, protect us and equip us to do Your will each and every day. Thank You for all that You are, and all that You have given us. My heart is forever grateful!
Prayer for Protection Over Family Members
Lord, I ask for protection and safety over my spouse, my children, my parents, my family members and myself today. Please lead us with Your mighty hands today and always. Deliver us from any enemy and evil that try to hinder our way. Do not let the ways of the enemy blind our eyes. We know that You are for us, so that no one could ever stop us. Please watch over us and guide us all safely throughout this day, so that we may all arrive safely back home, Father. Amen.
Prayer for a Troubled Family Relationship
Heavenly Father, there is a war going on in the souls of many of my family members. I will not be silent about this, and I pray that you will look after them. I also come to you today to pray for the salvation of my family as well. Lord, may my family know You. I pray that they will learn to crave You just as I do. I pray that they will learn to stand strong in the face of trials and tribulations in life. When people knock them down, I pray that they stand up even stronger in You than ever before. I pray that they show love instead of revenge on those who do not agree with them. Give me strength to persevere through any troubles that come my way today. It is time to rise above the sin that comes at me and to that of my family members. It is in Your precious name I pray these things.
Prayer for Grandchildren
Heavenly Father, You have blessed me with precious grandchildren, and I am ever so grateful! I pray for these little souls, Lord. I also want to thank you for my own children. I have raised them up to praise You, and to look to You in all things. I lift up my grandchildren to You today, Lord. These little ones are precious gems in Your eyes, as well as in mine, and that of our family. Please watch over them each and every day. Keep them safe, and guide them in all that they do. I ask these things in Your precious name. Amen.
Prayer for Your Family’s Strength
Please shine your light upon my family today, Lord. Give us strength to overcome all of the difficulties that we are currently dealing with, and protect us against any and all problems we may encounter in future days. Lord, please bring us together as we are meant to be. May the love that binds us only grow stronger as we fulfill the path and desires You have laid out before each of us. Grant my family forgiveness for any sins we have committed against one another. Amen.
Prayer for a Healthy Pregnancy
Thank you Father for the little baby that is about to be born. Lord, I pray that You would protect this unborn child that is being knit together in his/her mother’s womb, and I pray Lord that You would give grace for a safe and healthy delivery at the right time.
May this baby grow up to know and love the Lord Jesus, which will make him/her wise unto salvation. I pray for Your protection and grace for this little baby who is shortly to take his/her place in this world, and I ask that he/she may grow in wisdom and understanding. Guard and protect both mother and child as the day for delivery draws ever closer, and keep them from all the perils and uncertainties in this journey. Amen.
“I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.” 1 Corinthians 1:10
“How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!” Psalm 133:1
“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” Proverbs 17:17