Bible verses about perseverance
One word in Christianity that is not emphasized enough is perseverance. It is not those who at one time in their life prayed a prayer to accept Christ and later fall away who will enter God’s Kingdom. A true child of God will persevere in faith in Christ and it is these people who will enter Heaven.
Scripture makes it clear that God lives inside of believers and He will work in your life until the end.
God will use trials that happen in your life for good. While doing God’s will He will hold you up. Fix your eyes on Christ, not the world nor your problems.
You will not get through your walk of faith without prayer. Jesus gave us parables to teach us that we should not stop knocking on God’s door.
We should not lose hope. We’ve all been there praying for weeks, months, and even years for something.
Perseverance in prayer shows seriousness. I’ve seen God answer prayers in a matter of days and for some He answered a couple of years down the road. God is doing a good work in us that we don’t see. Are you willing to wrestle with God?
God answers at the best time and in the best way. We should not only persist in prayers during trials, but also when everything is going good. We should be prayer warriors praying for our families, ways to advance God’s kingdom, guidance, daily strength, help, giving thanks, etc. Remain steadfast! Perseverance builds character and a closer relationship with the Lord.
Things we need to persevere in.
- Faith in Christ
- Witnessing to others
- The Christian lifestyle
- “Prayer is the acid test of the inner man’s strength. A strong spirit is capable of praying much and praying with all perseverance until the answer comes. A weak one grows weary and fainthearted in the maintenance of praying.” Watchman Nee
- “Our motto must continue to be perseverance. And ultimately I trust the Almighty will crown our efforts with success.” William Wilberforce
- “By perseverance the snail reached the ark.” Charles Spurgeon
What does the Bible say?
1. 2 Peter 1:5-7 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, mutual affection; and to mutual affection, love.
2. 1 Timothy 6:12 Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, whereunto thou art also called, and hast professed a good profession before many witnesses.
3. 2 Timothy 4:7-8 I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. And now the prize awaits me—the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on the day of his return. And the prize is not just for me but for all who eagerly look forward to his appearing.
Focus on Christ and the eternal prize.
4. Hebrews 12:1-3 Since we are surrounded by so many examples of faith, we must get rid of everything that slows us down, especially sin that distracts us. We must run the race that lies ahead of us and never give up. We must focus on Jesus, the source and goal of our faith. He saw the joy ahead of him, so he endured death on the cross and ignored the disgrace it brought him. Now he holds the honored position—the one next to God the Father on the heavenly throne. Think about Jesus, who endured opposition from sinners, so that you don’t become tired and give up.
5. Philippians 3:14 I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us.
Driving through the storm!
6. James 1:2-5 My brothers and sisters, when you have many kinds of troubles, you should be full of joy, because you know that these troubles test your faith, and this will give you patience. Let your patience show itself perfectly in what you do. Then you will be perfect and complete and will have everything you need. But if any of you needs wisdom, you should ask God for it. He is generous to everyone and will give you wisdom without criticizing you.
7. Romans 5:2-4 Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of undeserved privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory. We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance. And endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation.
8. 1 Peter 5:10-11 In his kindness God called you to share in his eternal glory by means of Christ Jesus. So after you have suffered a little while, he will restore, support, and strengthen you, and he will place you on a firm foundation. All power to him forever! Amen.
9. James 1:12 God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him.
We must continue in prayer.
10. Luke 11:5-9 Then, teaching them more about prayer, he used this story: “Suppose you went to a friend’s house at midnight, wanting to borrow three loaves of bread. You say to him, A friend of mine has just arrived for a visit, and I have nothing for him to eat. And suppose he calls out from his bedroom, ‘Don’t bother me. The door is locked for the night, and my family and I are all in bed. I can’t help you.’ But I tell you this—though he won’t do it for friendship’s sake, if you keep knocking long enough, he will get up and give you whatever you need because of your shameless persistence. “And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you.
11. Romans 12:12 Be happy in your confidence, be patient in trouble, and pray continually.
12. Acts 1:14 They all joined together constantly in prayer, along with the women and Mary the mother of Jesus, and with his brothers.
Do not grow weary!
13. Galatians 6:9-10 So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up. Therefore, whenever we have the opportunity, we should do good to everyone–especially to those in the family of faith.
14. Thessalonians 3:13 But ye, brethren, be not weary in well doing.
Be strong in the Lord.
15. 2 Chronicles 15:7 Be ye strong, therefore, and do not let your hands be weak, for your work shall be rewarded.
16. Joshua 1:9 9 See that I command thee to be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither be thou dismayed; for I, the LORD thy God, am with thee wherever thou goest.
17. 1 Corinthians 16:13 Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong.
18. Psalm 23:4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
19. Job 17:9 The righteous keep moving forward, and those with clean hands become stronger and stronger.
20. 1 Corinthians 13:7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.
21. Lamentations 3:25-26 The Lord is good to those who depend on him, to those who search for him. So it is good to wait quietly for salvation from the Lord.
22. James 4:10 Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
23. 2 Thessalonians 1:2-4 Grace and peace to you from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. We ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters, and rightly so, because your faith is growing more and more, and the love all of you have for one another is increasing. Therefore, among God’s churches we boast about your perseverance and faith in all the persecutions and trials you are enduring.
24. Revelation 2:2-3 I know your deeds, your hard work and your perseverance. I know that you cannot tolerate wicked people, that you have tested those who claim to be apostles but are not, and have found them false. You have persevered and have endured hardships for my name, and have not grown weary.
25. James 5:11 As you know, we count as blessed those who have persevered. You have heard of Job’s perseverance and have seen what the Lord finally brought about. The Lord is full of compassion and mercy.
2 Corinthians 4:17 For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, worketh for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory.
Faith is an entirely free gift that Eternal God makes to man We can lose this priceless gift As St. Paul indicated to St. Timothy Wage the good warfare Holding faith and a good conscience By rejecting conscience certain persons have made shipwreck of their faith To live Grow And persevere in the faith until the end We must nourish it with the word of Eternal God We must beg the Lord to increase our faith It must be Working through charity Abounding in hope Rooted in the faith of the Church 1252015
Copyright © Jacqueline R. Mendoza | Year Posted 2015
Use this to report a poem that violates PoetrySoup’s Terms and Conditions ONLY.
Your IP Address: 22.214.171.124
Poem Title: Perseverance in faith
Reason for Reporting: * Required
Did you gleefully anticipate the 4th of July, a treasured holiday and day off from work? I did. Like me, did you celebrate with family and food, maybe a backyard BBQ or fish fry at the bay? Did you ooh and aah as you looked upward to watch beautiful fireworks light up the night sky,… Continue Reading →
This Father’s Day marks a new beginning…the beginning of holidays without my Dad’s presence. My family is in the difficult season of adjusting to life without him. That’s especially difficult for my mom who shared 60 years of marriage with my Dad. After a valiant fight against Parkinson’s and several other slow progressing diseases, my… Continue Reading →
Less than a year ago, God nudged me to attend a retreat where I knew no one. It felt a little like jumping out of a plane, but I took that leap of obedience anyway. There I met women who “got” me. Women who love God. Women who encourage others in their walk of faith… Continue Reading →
O how abundant is your goodness that you have laid up for those who fear you, and accomplished for those who take refuge in you, in the sight of everyone. Psalm 31:19 Can God’s redemption and restoration reveal itself in a 34 year old RV parked in a dusty, Texas ghost town? As I sit… Continue Reading →
Disappointments. Disease. Death. Sometimes these come at you in rapid fire and you feel cornered. Surrounded. When they do, I’ve been prone to shake my fist and give up. Frustrated and void of hope. Then Christ washed me in His grace six years ago. As a newborn in my personal walk with Jesus, one of… Continue Reading →
Do you recall standing in line as an elementary student, with all your friends and classmates, as the school nurse performed her annual vision check? I know I’m showing my age, but I do. As a fourth grader, I was sent home with a note for my parents advising that I probably needed glasses. My… Continue Reading →
God sometimes chooses the smallest of things to get our attention. Then he poignantly delivers his message. Recently I sat on the deck of a rustic cabin early one morning overlooking a tranquil lake. I intended to spend time on my daily Bible study. The water was smooth as glass and a layer of fog… Continue Reading →
White twinkling lights draped the floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking the lake. They were beautiful in the darkened room, but the spoken words proved to be mesmerizing. Suzie¹ spoke of how deeply our Heavenly Father loves us and “right now invitations.” She spoke of surrendering and creating sacred spaces during the weekend to be alone with God and… Continue Reading →
Only a few hours earlier I’d bonded with this precious new friend at breakfast. We sat and talked for nearly two hours, sharing backgrounds and dreams. This Texas small town girl felt an unlikely kinship with this Chicago gal and I was excited about this newly forged friendship. Now I’d just flipped her into waist… Continue Reading →
1. Perseverance In Faith: Luke 21 (04:58)
2. Perseverance In Faith: John 14 (04:18)
3. Perseverance In Faith: Peter 3 (03:29)
4. Perseverance In Faith: Romans 12 (02:56)
5. Perseverance In Faith: Corinthians 1 (04:01)
6. Perseverance In Faith: Revelation 3 (04:00)
7. Perseverance In Faith: James 1 (03:38)
8. Perseverance In Faith: John 15 (03:39)
9. Perseverance In Faith: Colossians 1 (04:04)
10. Perseverance In Faith: Second Thessalonians 3 (02:33)
11. Perseverance In Faith: First Timothy 4 (02:11)
12. Perseverance In Faith: John 6 (08:26)
13. Perseverance In Faith: Matthew 22 (05:03)
14. Perseverance In Faith: Corinthians 15 (06:53)
15. Perseverance In Faith: Ephesians 6 (03:12)
16. Perseverance In Faith: Galatians 6 (02:34)
17. Perseverance In Faith: Hebrews 6 (02:52)
18. Perseverance In Faith: Revelation 2 (04:52)