Ending your day with prayer is a wonderful way to let go of stress and find peace before falling asleep. No matter what you faced today, talking to God through goodnight prayers will renew your faith. Evening prayer also helps you see all the good things that happened in your day that you have to be thankful for!
Share these nine bedtime and evening prayers with your children, spouse and friends so they too can fall asleep feeling blessed and thankful!
Table of contents
- 1 Goodnight Prayer for Blessings
- 2 A Bedtime Prayer to Stop an Anxious Heart
- 3 Giving Thanks Evening Prayer
- 4 A Short Night-time Prayer (2 Timothy 1:7)
- 5 Popular Child’s Bedtime Prayer, 18th Century
- 6 A Beautiful Prayer to End the Day
- 7 Father, We Thank Thee
- 8 Bedtime Prayer (song by Twila Paris)
- 9 The Examen (Evening Reflection)
- 10 Praying for peaceful sleep
- 11 Praying for a restful night
Goodnight Prayer for Blessings
Bless us with rest tonight, Jesus, and a good night’s sleep. Forgive us for the things we did today that did not honor you. Thank you for loving us so much and that you know us through and through. We need your help every day, and we thank you for the strength you give and for helping us know that with you, even hard things are possible. Bless our family and our home, and keep us safe through the night. May your angels guard us and watch over us, just like you promised.
You’ve told us we are just like sheep. And that you lead us and guard us like a shepherd. You know our names, and you make us feel special and loved. When we hurt, you help us feel better. Thank you, Jesus, for your good care and for giving us to help. Thank you for the Bible, and for teaching us stuff in life that helps us grow. Bless the people in our world, and help them to know you love them, too. Thank you for all the people who help us so much: teachers, doctors, policeman, and fireman—and so many more.
Thank you for your good plan for our lives. Help us to obey you and love you more and more. When we awake in the morning, put a smile on our face and your purpose in our hearts, ready to start a new day. We love you, Jesus. Good night. In Jesus’s precious name, Amen. ~ ~ Rebecca Barlow Jordan
A Bedtime Prayer to Stop an Anxious Heart
Dear Lord, please help me trust You and empower me through Your Spirit to stop my emotions from bossing me around. I want to quit worrying about what might happen and focus on what has already happened by remembering and praising You for Your faithfulness in my life. In Jesus’ Name, Amen. ~ Renee Swoop
Giving Thanks Evening Prayer
Dear God, we thank you tonight for the good day and for the special way you take care of us all the time. Thank you for the fun times outside and the quiet times inside, and for helping us learn new things every day.
Thank you for creating us special, exactly the way you wanted. Thank you for protecting us throughout the day. Forgive us for the wrong things we do. Thank you for loving us even when we disobey or try to do things our way. Help us to always choose your way, God, because it’s always best. We pray for all the people who don’t know you, and that they will come to understand your love for them, too.
Bless our family and thank you for good times together and apart. Bless our friends and those we love, including our grandparents, our aunts and uncles and cousins. Thank you for our home and a place to sleep and good food to eat. Help us rest well, give us peaceful dreams, and send your angels around our home to protect us throughout the night. Teach us to trust you and to love you more and more. You are good; you are great; and you are faithful, God. And we love you. Good night. In Jesus’s precious name, Amen. ~ Rebecca Barlow Jordan
A Short Night-time Prayer (2 Timothy 1:7)
For God’s not given me a spirit of fear,
But a spirit of love,
and of power, and a sound mind,
To live each day and glorify his name.
Popular Child’s Bedtime Prayer, 18th Century
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep.
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
Alternative Version for Children:
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
Watch and guard me through the night,
and wake me with the morning light.
A Beautiful Prayer to End the Day
Heavenly Father, my day is drawing to an end, and I’m ready to turn in. But before I do, I have to thank you for your faithfulness today. It’s always a good day, even when things may not go the way I plan, or when the world seems in chaos, because you are in control.
For all the times when I was aware of your help today, all the times when your unseen presence seemed so near, thank you, God. But for all the ways you worked behind the scenes, unknown to me, moments when heaven-sent angels moved on my behalf in ways I’ll never know, thank you for those also, Lord.
Forgive me for any foolish actions on my part today or things I did without first asking your blessing or wisdom. Those are moments I’d rather forget, but I’m so grateful for your forgiveness when I ask. I never want to go to bed without clearing the air between us, Lord. Our friendship means too much, and your holiness deserves that. Thank you for loving me just as I am. Your love compels me to give you my all and fills my heart with praise for the relationship we share because of Jesus.
As I close my eyes tonight, I’m praying for loved ones around me, for friends and those who need to know you, Lord. I’m praying that your love, like the billions of stars in the night sky outside, will touch them and help them see who you really are. I pray for our world and those in it. I pray for their needs as well as my own.
Grant me a good night’s sleep tonight, God, so that I can awake refreshed and ready to begin another day loving you. Thank you again for blessings so undeserved and too numerous to count. I love being your child, and I long for the word “faithful” to describe my service to you, each day of every year. When I awake in the morning, may it be with a joyful smile, not a grumpy spirit. May your protection and your presence bathe this place with peace and safety against the enemy. Good night, Lord. In Jesus’s name, Amen. ~ Rebecca Barlow Jordan
Father, We Thank Thee
Father, we thank thee for the night,
And for the pleasant morning light;
For rest and food and loving care,
And all that makes the day so fair.
Help us to do the things we should,
To be to others kind and good;
In all we do, in work or play,
To grow more loving every day.
— Rebecca Weston – 1890
Bedtime Prayer (song by Twila Paris)
Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray dear Lord that you will keep
Your eyes upon this sleeping world
Every little boy and girl
Bless the children far away
The ones who don’t know how to pray
Those who are not feeling well
The little one the slipped and fell
Bless the puppy down the street
The neighbors I have yet to meet
Bless my mom and dad especially
Just one more thing I’d like to say
Before I close another day
I’d like to thank you Lord for all the ways
That You bless me
Bless the child whose home is torn
The babies who are not yet born
Bless the ones who take your word
To all the hearts that have not heard
Bless all your children everywhere
I hope they know how much you care
Maybe someday I can go
And tell them that You love them so
Bless Grandma and my Grandpa too
And all my friend and all they do
Bless every twig upon my family tree
Just one more thing I’ll say to you
I’m so amazed by all you do
I’ll thank you once again because it’s true
That you bless me
The Examen (Evening Reflection)
Written by St. Ignatius Loyola, the Examen is a daily process for prayerfully reflecting on your day.
1. Remember God’s presence.
Even after a trying day, God will quiet your soul as you remember His presence and intentionally seek to enter into it. Remember He’s with you. Invite Him to make Himself present to you.
2. Respond to Him with thanks.
Giving thanks gives God glory and helps us look on the bright side of a bad day. What small blessings can you thank God for?
3. Reflect on how God showed Himself to you.
God reveals himself through scripture, but we also see glimpses of him in nature, events, and people. Sometimes He shows up loudly through miraculous, divine intervention. Other times He shows Himself quietly through the beauty of a flower or an earnest conversation. As you look back over your day, can you identify moments where you sensed God’s revelation or intervention?
4. Repent of your failings.
I don’t like recognizing my own sin, but repentance is key to continual renewal in our relationship with God.As you reflect on your day, remember specific points where you failed. Bring your shortcomings before God and ask Him to forgive you.
5. Resolve to grow.
God is in the business of changing us, so don’t let your failings discourage or define you. His mercies are always new. Accept His forgiveness. Ask Him for grace to change. Is there anything you need to make right or anyone you need to apologize to? What can you do differently tomorrow?
Do you have a favorite goodnight prayer you use at bedtime? One that your parents taught you or that you are teaching your children? Share it with our community in the comments below!
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersThe Prayer of JabezShort PrayersThe Lord’s PrayerThe Prayer of St FrancisSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerIrish Prayers and BlessingsAdvent PrayersChristmas PrayersThanksgiving PrayerHoly Week Prayers for Each DayEaster PrayersMother’s Day PrayerPrayers for My HusbandPrayers for My SonPrayers for My DaughterPrayer Quotes
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
Here are some good night prayer messages for boyfriend, goodnight prayer for my love, goodnight prayer messages for her, good night prayer messages for friends and family, goodnight prayer SMS for loved ones and a simple night prayer for protection
Enjoy this spiritual good night messages to keep your lovers night awesome. Most people prefer the prayer type of messages compare to the romantic and sweet Good night messages but if you need messages from the romantic category. check below:
1.Good Night Messages for Her – Good Night SMS for Girlfriend
2.Good Night Messages for Him – Good Night SMS for Boyfriend
1. My heartbeat, no matter how rough your day has been, your night will be filled with love, joy, and peace. God will make your tomorrow better than your today. I love you, have a great night.
2. You have faced all the challenges that came with the day. I am praying to God for a peace filled night rest. God will give you the best dream that will leave you with thousands of memories. Good night my dear.
3. You survived the hurdles of today which are never by your power nor by your righteousness. God’s mercy has kept you breathing. May his name be continuously be exalted in Jesus name, Amen. Have a wonderful night rest, my dear.
4. The sky is dark and all you wish is to place your head on the pillow and drift off to dreamland, therefore, I pray that you find true rest with angels guiding you as you sleep. Your tired body will be refreshed because there is nothing too big for God to do. Have a good night.
5. As you close your eyes to sleep tonight, trust in God to protect you from every arrow of the wicked. Believe in him to rest with you and care for you. Tomorrow is your day and he will always be by your side. Have a peaceful night…
6. As you prepare to sleep tonight, may God forgive us for things we did wrong either knowingly or unknowingly. His love is ever present in our lives and songs of praise will be on our lips forever more. Sleep with your eyes close, because God is in control.
7. Some nights are long and lonely while some are short and scary but we have you oh God to be with the person reading this. Make their night rest a perfect one. Cover them with your banner and keep them safe until the next morning. Amen. Have a great night.
8. You will be having an awesome night with the king of kings and lord of host because he has given his angels charge to protect you from the evils that travel by night. You will wake up in good health tomorrow morning. Sleep well tonight.
9. The Lord will help us to love and follow his commandments. He will bless our good hearts and make our wishes a reality because he has promised to be with his people at all time. You are favored, my dear. Have a bliss filled night.
10. He gave us life and he gave us purpose. He is keeping us alive to live by grace because he is an ever-loving God. He will help us all through the night and make the morning as beautiful as the sunshine. Go to be with faith for our worries have been washed away. Good night.
11. We thank you, lord for today. Thank you for the gift of life and strong health. You have always shown us that there is none like you. The special treatment you have given to us is second to none. As we plan to sleep, father make it a peaceful night sleep. May we see the morning sun with refreshed bodies. Amen.
12. The night is a quiet moment you have given to us to reminisce how the previous day has been and how to face off tomorrow. Thank you for such wonderful moment and be with us all through the night. Enlarge our coast and fulfill our heart desires. Amen.
13. When we are about to drift off to dreamland, we wish to firstly ask for your forgiveness. Bless the amazing person reading this with understanding to face things following the right path. Be with him (her) this night and forever. Good night my dear.
14. King of the universe, I beg of thee to grant us a night of peaceful rest. Keep us alive to see another amazing morning that you have made. Give us your love and care for without them, we are nothing. Be with us now and forever. Amen. Good night my dear.
15. Keep us alive tonight so that we will continue the things we left half done when the morning comes. I hand over the heart desires of the one I love to your hands. Grant their wishes and strengthen them with your love forever. Good night my beloved…
16. I want to wake up tomorrow to thank you for my life and the life of my lover. Be with us as we close our eyes to rest our weak bones. I place all my hope in you because there is no God worthy to be compared to you. Grant our wishes tonight. Amen.
17. You are the true and great God. Make our night as wonderful as the day. May we have sweet dreams that will gladden our hearts. Warm us with your love as we sleep. Do this and may your name be highly glorified. Amen. Have a wonderful night my dear.
18. I pray to you, Lord Jesus to be the light of our nights. Send your angels to watch over the one I love so much. Open your heavenly arms to nudge him to sleep in bliss and wake up in happiness. We will always believe in your words. Have a great night, baby.
19. We are weak and wish to sleep, please renew our body and soul. Just like the sun shines on earth, shine in our lives and be our Lord forever. We are nothing without you, be our father and watch us through the dark and lonely night. Amen.
20. Sleep with an open mind for God knows our worries and our fears. He will never let us down no matter what. Just keep trusting in him, you will never be put to shame, my love. Sleep tight and have sweet dreams because our God doesn’t sleep nor slumber. Good night.
Praying for peaceful sleep
Oh Heavenly Father, as I lay my head down to sleep, I ask for your comfort and strength. Ease my mind. Help me to let everything go, and leave it all in your hands. Give me peace that I may sleep without tossing and turning.
Encamp your angels around me, that no harm will come to me or my household. I cover each and every member of my household in the blood of Jesus.
Read also: A Prayer for those Sleepless Nights
Praying for a restful night
Almighty God, bless my night, and bless the coming day. I’m so tired and anxious, burdened by the cares of the day. Lay your hand upon me and quiet my restless soul. Cradle me in your protective arms, dear Lord. Give me rest that tomorrow will be a very productive day.
1 Peter 5:7 Cast all your anxiety on him because He cares for you.
Philippians 4:6-7 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Encamp your angels around me, that no harm will come to me or my household. Click To Tweet
Refresh me fully and fill me with your joy, oh Heavenly Father. Wipe away my tears of today. I repent of my sins and look to your Holy Spirit for guidance and protection. In Jesus name, Amen!
Psalm 56:3 When I am afraid, I put my trust in you.”
Psalm 46:1-2, 10-11 God is our refuge and strength, an ever-present help in trouble, therefore we will not fear…Be still, and know that I am God…the Lord Almighty is with us.”
Weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning. -Psalm 30:5. Click To Tweet
In My Prayer Room • 3 Hours of Piano Worship Music, Instrumental Worship, Prayer Music #PianoMessage