A morning prayer is a wonderful way to focus your time and attention on seeking God’s plan for the day ahead. Whether you need encouragement, peace, strength, or rest, God can meet you in a very real and present way when you come before Him with a humble heart. Seek God’s presence each morning before your energy and attention is pulled by all the tasks you have ahead.
Table of contents
Here are 10 helpful morning prayers to start your day:
1. “Lord, may nothing separate me from You today. Teach me how to choose only Your way today so each step will lead me closer to You. Help me walk by the Word and not my feelings. Help me to keep my heart pure and undivided. Protect me from my own careless thoughts, words, and actions. And keep me from being distracted by MY wants, MY desires, MY thoughts on how things should be. Help me to embrace what comes my way as an opportunity… rather than a personal inconvenience. And finally, help me to rest in the truth of Psalm 86:13, ‘Great is your love toward me.’ You already see the ways I will fall short and mess up. But right now, I consciously tuck Your whisper of absolute love for me into the deepest part of my heart. I recognize Your love for me is not based on my performance. You love me warts and all. That’s amazing. But what’s most amazing is that the Savior of the world would desire a few minutes with me this morning. Lord, help me to forever remember what a gift it is to sit with You like this. Amen.”
– Lysa Terkeurst
“I have set the LORD always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” – Psalm 16:8
3. “Dear Lord, I don’t know who or what will cross my path today. But I do know that You are my Rock and my Fortress. You are my Shield and my Strong Tower. Help me to anchor myself to You today. Teach me how to stand strong in You and choose only Your way today. Help me walk by Your truth and not my feelings. Help me to embrace anything that comes my way as an opportunity to see You at work and as an opportunity to point others to You. Thank You that You love me and nothing can ever take that away from me! Even if I fail today and fall short, You whisper Your unconditional love deep into my soul and remind me that Your mercies are new every morning. That truly amazes me, Lord. Thank You for meeting with me today. Would You wake me again tomorrow with the same sweet whisper of Your love? I can’t wait to meet with You again. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
– Wendy Blight
“You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You.” Isaiah 26:3
5. “Lord, grant me tenacious winsome courage as I go through this day. When I am tempted to give up, help me to keep going. Grant me a cheerful spirit when things don’t go my way. And give me courage to do whatever needs to be done. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
– Dr. Ray Pritchard
“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
6. “Father, my heart is heavy. I feel like I have to carry the burden alone. Words like overwhelmed, distraught, exhausted seem to describe where I am. I am not sure how to let you carry my heavy load, so please show me how. Take it from me. Let me rest and be refreshed so that my heart won’t be so heavy in the morning. In Jesus’ name. Amen.”
– Ron Moore
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your mind in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
7. “Dear Lord, help me remember what a difference it makes when I make time with You a priority in my morning. Awaken me in body and spirit each day with a desire to meet with You and to hear You speak words of affirmation, assurance and wisdom over my heart as I prepare to go into my day. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
– Traci Miles
“If any of your lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” James 1:5
9. The prayer of Jabez: “Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that You would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let Your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.'” 1 Chronicles 4:10
10. “I got up early one morning
And rushed right into the day;I had so much to accomplishThat I didn’t have time to pray.Problems just tumbled about me,And heavier came each task;’Why doesn’t God help me?’ I wondered.He answered, ‘You didn’t ask.’I wanted to see joy and beautyBut the day toiled on gray and bleakI wondered why God didn’t show meHe said, ‘But you didn’t seek’,I tried to come into God’s presence;I used all my keys in the lock.God gently and lovingly chided,’My child, you didn’t knock.’I woke up early this morning,And paused before entering the day;I had so much to accomplishThat I had to take time to pray.” -Author Unknown, The Difference
Please let us know how these morning prayers have helped you in the comments below! Join our large praying community and experience the peace and joy that God freely gives each day.
For more daily encouragement, read our 30 Inspirational Quotes that will help you shine your light today!
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
You may have seen the hall hanging that says, “A family that prays together stays together”. Even though this is not a verse from the Bible, it actually reflects the truth of scripture. Praying together as a family yields tremendous results. And the best part is, you don’t need to pray for hours – you can easily make a short family prayer every now and then. See, God is more interested in the heart of the Christian than in the volume of the prayers offered. When done right, a short family prayer might be more effective than most people think. Here some short evening, morning prayers for family, food blessing, short family thanksgiving prayer.
Examples of short family prayer
1. Short morning prayer for family
Lord, we thank you for watching over us through the night. We are grateful for the blessing of a brand new day. As the Psalmist said, this is the day that you have made. We shall rejoice and be glad in it. Lord, we thank you in advance for the many opportunities to rejoice and be glad today. Guide us as a family throughout the day, in Jesus name, we believe and pray. Amen.
2. Evening prayer
Father in heaven, we come to you with hearts that are full of thanksgiving. You have watched over us all day. God, you have ordered our steps. You have blessed the work of our hands. God, you have protected us from the pestilence that wastes at noonday. And now as we retire to bed, we pray that you will keep us from the arrow that flies at night. We thank you, Lord, because you never sleep nor slumber. In Jesus name we pray. Amen.
3. Prayer for food blessing
Lord, thank you for providing us with our daily bread. Your word says that you shall bless our bread and water and take sickness away from us. We believe and we confess that our food is blessed and sickness has been taken away. We receive this food with thanksgiving. Amen.
Scripture places a lot of advantages to corporate prayer. Jesus taught that when two or three people pray together, an answer is almost guaranteed.
“Again I say to you, if two of you agree on earth about anything they ask, it will be done for them by my Father in heaven. For where two or three are gathered in my name, there am I among them” (Mathew 18:19-20).
If two or three family members bow their knee to say a short family prayer, tremendous power is made available immediately. Because whenever we gather in the name of the Lord, He comes to grace the occasion. Notice the scripture above did not say wherever we gather but whenever we gather. The emphasis is not on the venue but on the people meeting. So you don’t have to wait for Sunday morning in order to say a prayer – you can pray together as a family and the good Lord will be right there with you.
In conclusion, the secret of making an effective short family prayer is to pray in line with scripture. It also helps when you are in one spirit as a family before you pray. Try to solve any disagreements before you approach the throne of grace. Then your short prayers will be powerful and effective.
Also read: PRAYER POINTS FOR THE FAMILY
Prayer is the greatest way to start your day
Rise and shine – the great morning awaits all of God’s children.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) – This may be a well-known fact … not everyone is a morning person. Some people really struggle to get out of bed and get their day started. Praying to God is the perfect way to find the needed encouragement, peace and strength for the day’s tasks. With hopes of helping those anti-morning believers and further inspiring the go-getters of the world, we present to you a wonderful list of powerful morning prayers.
Take the Prayer Trivia Quiz now!
Arising from Sleep
O Master and holy God, who are beyond our understanding: at your word, light came forth out of darkness. In your mercy, you gave us rest through night-long sleep, and raised us up to glorify your goodness and to offer our supplication to You. Now, in your own tender love, accept us who adore You and give thanks to You with all our heart. Grant us all our requests, if they lead to salvation; give us the grace of manifesting that we are children of light and day, and heirs to your eternal reward. In the abundance of your mercies, O Lord, remember all your people; all those present who pray with us; all our brethren on land, at sea, or in the air, in every place of Your domain, who call upon your love for mankind. Upon all, pour down your great mercy, that we, saved in body and in soul, may persevere unfailingly; and that, in our confidence, we may extol your exalted and blessed Name, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, always, now and forever. Amen
The Good Morning God Prayer
Good Morning God!
You are ushering in another day,
untouched and freshly new.
So here I am to ask you, God,
if You’ll renew me too.
Forgive the many errors that I made yesterday
and let me try again dear God
to walk closer in Your way.
But Lord, I am well aware,
I can’t make it on my own.
So take my hand and hold it tight,
for I cannot walk alone.
Morning Offering to the Sacred Heart
O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary, I offer You my prayers, works, joys and sufferings of this day for all the intentions of Your Sacred Heart, in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world, in reparation for my sins, for the intentions of all our associates, and in particular for the intentions of our Holy Father for this month.
I adore Thee, O my God, and I love Thee with all my heart. I give Thee thanks that Thou hast created me, made me a Christian, and preserved me this night. I offer Thee the actions of this day; grant that all of them may be according to Thy holy Will, and for Thy greater glory. Save me from sin and from all evil. Let Thy grace be always with me.
Prayers at the Day’s Beginning
Lord, one more day to love you!
O Jesus, watch over me always, especially today, or I shall betray you like Judas.
Lord, today is the day I begin!
Jesus, shine through me and be so in me that every person I come in contact with may feel your presence in my soul.
My God, send me thy Holy Spirit to teach me what I am and what thou art!
May the Passion of Christ be ever in our heart.
And to be more with Him, more with Him, not merely with oneself.
Father, my heart is heavy. I feel like I have to carry the burden alone. Words like “overwhelmed,” “distraught,” “exhausted” seem to describe where I am. I am not sure how to let you carry my heavy load, so please show me how. Take it from me. Let me rest and be refreshed so that my heart won’t be so heavy in the morning. In Jesus’ name. Amen.
– Ron Moore, Crosswalk.com
Dear Lord, help me remember what a difference it makes when I make time with You a priority in my morning. Awaken me in body and spirit each day with a desire to meet with You and to hear You speak words of affirmation, assurance and wisdom over my heart as I prepare to go into my day. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
– Traci Miles, Crosswalk.com
Find Your Patron Saint Medal Now
‘Help Give every Student and Teacher FREE resources for a world-class Moral Catholic Education’
Copyright 2018 – Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for July 2018
Priests and their Pastoral Ministry. That priests, who experience fatigue and loneliness in their pastoral work, may find help and comfort in their intimacy with the Lord and in their friendship with their brother priests.