Mealtime prayers are essential conversations with God. Paul tells us to: “Celebrate always, pray constantly, and give thanks to God no matter what circumstances you find yourself in.” (1 Thessalonians 5:16-18)
Poverty and starvation are an everyday reality for some, while others of us quench their thirst and put hunger at bay at our leisure. No matter which side of the pendulum we find ourselves on, praying God’s will over our lives and our meals is important. “… for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.” (1 Thessalonians 5:18b NLT)
Praying God’s blessing over our meals is a simple way to make a big difference on the daily alignment of our hearts. Use dinner time and all other times of eating to recall God’s goodness in your life. It helps us remember that our blessings come from our Creator… who deserves credit for all.
Here are 10 prayers that will fit any mealtime situation, from formal family dinners, to meals on the go at the neighborhood drive-thru:
Table of contents
- 1 1. A Prayer That This Food May Fuel Us to Do Your Work
- 2 2. A Prayer in Remembrance of the Hungry
- 3 3. A Prayer of Confession
- 4 4. A Prayer for Family Mealtime
- 5 5. A Prayer for Mealtime Fellowship
- 6 6. A Prayer for When Someone is Missed at the Table
- 7 7. A Prayer for Dining Out
- 8 8. A Prayer in Remembrance of the Last Supper
- 9 9. A Prayer for When Food is Scarce
- 10 10. A Prayer for the Drive-Thru
- 11 A Birthday Blessing
- 12 Birthday Prayers for Cards
- 13 Prayer to have a Happy Birthday Celebration
- 14 Prayer for a Newborn Baby’s Birthday
- 15 Read Birthday Bible Verses
- 16 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Birthday Prayers and Blessings”
- 17 Recent prayer requests…
1. A Prayer That This Food May Fuel Us to Do Your Work
Father, Praise You for the nourishment the You provide. Thank You for meeting our physical needs of hunger and thirst. Forgive us for taking that simple joy for granted, and bless this food to fuel our bodies forward into Your will for our lives. We pray that we will be energized and be able to work for the glory of Your Kingdom. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
2. A Prayer in Remembrance of the Hungry
Father, You are mighty and strong to sustain our bodies. Thank You for the meal we are about to enjoy. Forgive us for forgetting how many pray for food to relieve their starvation. Bless and relieve the starvation of those who hunger, Lord, and inspire our hearts to seek out ways that we can help from our abundance. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
3. A Prayer of Confession
Father, This meal is the work of Your hands. You have provided for me, again, and I am grateful. I confess my tendency to forget to ask Your blessing upon my life, through the comforts that You have given me to enjoy. So many people lack these daily comforts and it is selfish of me to forget about them in their need. Show me how to make the most of Your blessing in my life, for everything I have is a gift from You. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
4. A Prayer for Family Mealtime
Father, We have gathered to share a meal in Your honor. Thank You for putting us together as family, and thank You for this food. Bless it to our bodies, Lord. We thank you for all of the gifts you’ve given to those around this table. Help each member of our family use these gifts to your glory. Guide our mealtime conversations and steer our hearts to Your purpose for our lives. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
5. A Prayer for Mealtime Fellowship
Father, Praise You for friendship and family! Thank You for bringing us together today to share a meal. The people in our lives bring us such joy, and we are grateful for time spent in fellowship together. Help us use this time to bond closer as a group, and learn to love each other more. Bless our appetites, both physical and spiritual, to honor You in all we do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
6. A Prayer for When Someone is Missed at the Table
Father, We are coping with an empty seat at our table. Be with the one we are without, today, and help us to trust in Your timing, purpose, and great love for us all. As we miss ____________ today, we pray Your blessing over him/her/them, and us, and the space in between now and when we see them next. Until then, may this food bless our bodies, and give us strength to endure the day ahead. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
7. A Prayer for Dining Out
Father, Bless this establishment and employees as they prepare and serve our food. Thank You for the opportunity to have our meal brought to us, and the ability to relax and enjoy this time with one another. We understand our privilege to be here, and we pray to be a blessing to those we encounter in this place. Bless our conversation, and may we honor You in all we do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
8. A Prayer in Remembrance of the Last Supper
Father, As we sit here today preparing to eat this food, we remember Your Son. How He came here as a human being, and ate with His family and friends just like we do. Thank You for the gift of Jesus, and that we can look to Him knowing He understands our hunger. Bless us, Lord Jesus, and stir our hearts to remember You in all we do. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
9. A Prayer for When Food is Scarce
Father, We come to You hungry, today. It’s hard to understand why we don’t have enough to eat, but we come to You for strength, knowing that You are our provider. Help us to trust that You will sustain us through times of abundance and times of scarcity. Bless us and help us get back up on our feet again. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
10. A Prayer for the Drive-Thru
Father, Thank You for the drive-thru, that saves our time on busy days. We pray for those who prepared our food, and we ask that we would be a blessing to them during our brief encounter today. We remember that they are your children, and that they should be treated with kindness and respect, so that they will be able to see You in our actions. Bless this food to our bodies and keep us safe on the road today. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Photo credit: Thinkstock
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
Birthdays are wonderful occasions to celebrate one’s progress through life. Use these birthday prayers to bless, protect, and guide the birthday boy or girl on this special day.
A Birthday Blessing
Here is a nice prayer to say for someone who is celebrating their birthday. This blessing asks God to protect and guide the recipient through the coming year.
Renew My Strength
Heavenly Father, Please bless (name),
for today is (his/her) birthday.
Dear Lord, please protect and guide (name) as she
continues along the path youve chosen for her.
Give her the courage to follow in your light, and feel
your love wherever she goes.
Make her strong and give her the strength to make
good decisions in the coming year. Keep her free from
illness and sadness, for she is a truly good person who
deserves happiness and success in all aspects of life.
We know that life is like a book. With each new
chapter, we learn and grow towards what you would
have us be. Bless (name) now on this day, and in the future.
In your name we pray,
Birthday Prayers for Cards
Here are a couple birthday blessing poems that would be perfect for writing in a card, or posting on someones Facebook wall. They are sure to elicit a smile from the recipient:
May God Grant you Friendship
May God grant you friendship
and warm love within your home.
May he surround you in the quiet peace
that’s found in him alone.
May his hand lead you to laughter,
and his love dry every tear.
As you sense his presence in your life
more deeply every year.
Birthday Candle Prayer
Jesus said, “I am the light of the world”
May the birthday candles that represent the years of your life.
Be a reflection to others of your love for Christ.
I said a Prayer for You Today
I said a prayer for you today
And know God must have heard.
I felt the answer in my heart
Although he spoke no word!
I didn’t ask for wealth or fame
(I knew you wouldn’t mind).
I asked him to send treasures
Of a far more lasting kind!
I asked that he be near you
At the start of each new day;
To grant you health and blessings
And friends to share your way!
I asked for happiness for you
In all things great and small.
But it was for his loving care
I prayed the most of all!
Prayer to have a Happy Birthday Celebration
Here is a blessing to help ensure that one has a happy birthday celebration. Birthdays should be a time of happiness and merriment.
O God, Please ensure that (name)
has a happy and celebratory birthday.
I pray that (name) is surrounded by family
and friends as she marks the passing
of another year.
In your name I pray
Prayer for a Newborn Baby’s Birthday
Lets not forget the most important birthday of all. A baby’s first!
God bless this perfect little one,
Keep him safe and sound.
Bless his tiny hands and feet,
so he may conquer and defeat.
Brighten up his spiritual eyes,
so that he may undoubtedly become wise.
Bless his cute little mouth,
So your name he can shout.
But most of all bless his little mind,
to stay heavenly divine.
Oh! And don’t forget to bless his parents too
For the big job they got to do.
Read Birthday Bible Verses
“Why did I come out from the womb to see toil and sorrow, and spend my days in shame?”
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Birthday Prayers and Blessings”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- God’s mercy and favor for my son – May God bless him and bless the works of his hands to enable him take care of himself after a Master’s degree in the UK
- The power to get wealth – Heavenly Father, I thank you for your mercies and blessings on my life. I pray that today, you shall give me the power to get …
- My Birthday – As I turn 60 this coming week:-The lord bless and keep me,the lord makes his face to shine upon me& be gracious unto me.The Lord …
- My Birthday – As I turn 60 this coming week:-The lord bless and keep me,the lord makes his face to shine upon me& be gracious unto me.The Lord …
- Find a good husband – Dear Father, Today is my birthday, and I want to thank you for blessing me with another year. Thank you for all the steps that …
- Oleg – Wisdom, direction, power, friends, wife, blessings. Thank You!
- Pray for good weather – Prayers for good weather this Sunday May 27th 2018. My daughters 6th Birthday Party has been rescheduled twice already and this Sunday looks again to …
- Birthday Prayer – I pray that I will be blessed this day in an abundance and maintain the faith and confidence that I can do anything and be …
- My Birthday Wish – Dear Papa God, Please help me pass the behind the wheel driving test that I will take this coming Thursday, May 17th. I have waited …
- I’m too fat oh Lord,please help me lose weight – Am too fat… It’s unhealthy for me.. I can’t stop eating.i think am addicted to food.. Please Lord help me… Am xoo ashamed of my …
- My birthday wish prayer – My prayer is to have one, relaxing day off on my birthday tomorrow, May 9th. I pray that my mother feels better from her physical …
- Health – Health insurance
- I pray that I have a good day on my birthday! – Dear Father, may this special day bring happiness to me and all the family. With my last days around my family, I wish that they …
- Birthday Payer – My daughter Hannah is turning 3 today , we seek your prayer for her good health and to have a God fearing heart and a …
- God bless 102 years old Yu-Shia C . Strength her body and Joy & peace in her mind – God bless 102 years old Shia. Strength her body and Joy & peace in her mind. She is in tubefeeding .God heal & restore her …
- I pray that my Husband will come back to me – Dear St. JudeI pray that my husband will come to me, and bring me to the place where he is working and staying. I want …
- My Birthday Prayer – Dear Lord Jesus, I thank you for your blessings and guidance not only for myself, also to my family and friends..I am sorry for the …
- I said a Prayer for You Today – I said a prayer for you today And know God must have heard. I felt the answer in my heart Although he spoke no word! …
- Prayer for the family to come together – Dear lord I pray that two families can come together for my sons 1st birthday. Were all falling apart slowily and the seperation is stressing …
- Prayer for My Dad’s Birthday – Dearest Lord, Bless my Dad’s Birthday today, that you may give him more blessing,good health and birthdays to come and guide him always and lead …
- my birth day – Teles thanks God, with your Son and Spirits today i still live in your earth. bless me so that i can live by Your plan …
- Prayer For My Son’s Birthday – Lord please bless my son as he celebrates his 27th birthday today. Thank you Lord for all you have bestowed on him and are still …
- bless my husband on his birthday – I pray that My husband Austine be bless beyond his expectations and that God’s guiding light continualy shine on his way in Jesus matchless name. …
- For My birthday is on Dec – My mom passed away on Sept 14th Im an only child, not close to her family single for 5 yrs now. I requested off for …
- Happy Birthday to Me and Prayer for my Sons – Please pray for me, and my sons Ky and Ry. I thank God for all of my blessings. I pray that I continue to have …
- As i am celebrating my birthday today , I come before you with my wishes – (Tanzania) O Lord my God! I humbly stand before you today ,with maximum respect and appreciation for putting me under your care and protection for …
- Life is such a beautiful gift of god – Life is such a beautiful gift of god but it is always full with problemsand sorrows of different kindsso today let us pray to god …
- A Birthday Spent With The Lord – Dear Lord, today is my birthday and although there are grey clouds in the sky at the moment, I know because of who you are …
- Birthday prayers for my son – Dear Lord…Be with my child and bless him and guide him and protect him and save him… pls always be with him and be my …
- A Birthday Boy in the Unknown – Dear Heavenly Father, I pray that You lift Geovani for today is his 30th birthday and he is not home.He was taken from us 2 …
- Prayer for distant friends or dear ones – Dear God, i thnk u so much on ths vry day that u gav life to (name)i also thnk u as she cam into my …
- I trust You Heavenly Father! – Dear God, it’s my birthday today. Thank You for another year of life. Thank You Lord for everything that you’ve done for me. Thank You …
- Appreciation Prayer for letting me live as long as I have – Dear GodI thank you for letting me live as long as I have and to be healthy. I am grateful for my family, husband and …
- A Birthday Prayer for my Son – Oh precious Jesus, please bless my son today on his 23rd Birthday. I pray for your divine intervention on the healing of his spirit and …
- My 31st birthday Prayer – There are times when life isn’t all I want; but it’s all I have. So what I do is: Have it! Stick in your hat …
- Prayer on my 55th birthday – Father God, You have given me 55 years to cherish and hold.I thank you for this legnth of time you have trusted me here on …
- Birthday prayer for someone you mentor – (Name), what a privileged to become a part to what God is doing in and through you. I joy with you in your birthday and …
- May God Bless my Future – May this year be my best ever.I hope all my birthday dreams and wishes come true.Not just a year older, but a year better.Here’s to …
- It’s my Birthday today – Dear Jesus my Lord and my God , Thank you for all the blessings you have given me today. Pls Jesus Bless the family who …
- Birthday Prayer for another year , another day to celebrate – Heavenly Father,Thank you for today,another year another day to celebrate.thank you for all the tokens of love that reminds me of how i am love …
- My Prayer for Your Birthday – On your birthday, may you experience joyOn your birthday, may you experience loveOn your birthday, may all your dreams come trueOn your birthday, may all …
- Prayer for Birthday and For the Victims of Calamity – my birthday prayer is to heal our country, the Philippines from the tragedies that we encountered these past few days. That the victims will still …
- The Birthday Prayer of Strength – I pray Lord for you to give me strength on my birthday, to show me the way you wanted for me. I pray Lord that …
- Blessings for 2013 – I will be 57 years old tomorrow, 14th January 2013 and I give God the thanks, the praise and the glory for allowing me to …
- Blessings for 2013 – I will be 57 years old tomorrow, 14th January 2013 and I give God the thanks, the praise and the glory for allowing me to …
- A prayer for God to Remember me in all things – Dear Daddy Jesus, I thank you for this special day in my life. I thank you for all that happened in the past 35years. I …
- Thankful greetings to Mama Mary – Dear Lord,Just wanna take this opportunity to give my very thankful greetings to Mama Mary the mother of our savior Jesus Christ the King, Mama …
- Prayer for finding a love – “Almighty God, hear this prayer.”Almighty God, hear this relationship prayer. As You are first in my heavenly heart and mind and spirit, so do I …
- My child’s birthday prayer for this special day – God please my bless my little Ariyana for she is specially bless again on this special day. Please bless the pathway she have chosen on …
- A Thanksgiving Prayer for Life – Oh God, I thank you for granting and blessing me with another year as your child. Over the failures and sorrows of life, help me …
- My prayer and my birthday wishes for my 42th year – tomorrow is my 42nd birthday. Lord thank you for all the blessing.lord thank you for my the loving husband you given to me. Thank you …
- Thanksgiving for guiding my children and my family – Lord, I thank you for the gift of life and thank you for protecting and guiding my children and my family. I pray that may …
- A birthday prayer – father,i pray you bless my little girl on this specail day,i pray she grows to know your divine name and speak of your love and …
- Prayer For my birthday boy – Lord Jesus I ask one thing for my son today, on his birthday. Please bless him with a/some true positive, loving & loyal friends. He …
- 44th birthday prayer – Please dear Lord grant me restoration of the love, peace and joy in my home and marriage. Thank you Lord thet you grant me all …
- Prayer for continued blessings for my sons – Please pray for my son that is our of God’s way and needs to clelan himself from the stuff he is using. He needs to …
- Birthday blessing – It is truly remarkable when you receive the blessing of celebrating another year of life . This birthday, my prayer for you is that you …
- Blessings on the birthday – Please pray for me sejal, as I am celebrating my birthday today. I am already suffering from lots of problem including illness, marital disharmony and …
- Mom’s 75th Birthday – I pray Lord that You keep Lennie under Your care as she works diligently everyday to do Your work and Your will.Keep her healthy in …
- A prayer for my 21st Birthday – God grant me your protection and loving kind-ness for another year. Remind me that 21 years ago a blessing occured and my life is worth …
- Prayer for today’s birthday – May God this happy person be given a lovely time and help them to change and follow your way help everyone in need as we …
- Prayer to a Special Friend – As special is the sun the moon and the starsSo also is your creationYou are specially created by GodYou are special among your peersCause you …
- Bruce Birthday Prayer Request – Please I request very special my very dear friend Bruce.PleasePrayer birthday, god protect him Guide him give him strenght and courage, health and prosperity finance …
- My brithday wishes – Dear lord my birthday and my sister is coming but my mom don’t have Money to do are party is hard for my mom cause …
- Special Brithday Blessing – A special birthday prayer for my husband who lives abroad. I pray that God will look after him and guide to back to me.Please God …
- Birthday Prayer to Celebrate 39 Years – Father God, I thank You for your many blessings. All the Glory and Hounour are yours. Without you I am nothing. Father, I ask that …
- A prayer for my wife to be. – Dear Lord, thank you for all that you have done for this family. You have never let me down and you always show up at …
- I pray that God brings my precious son back to me – I pray that God brings my precious son back to me. I have not seen you in over a year. The tears will jot stop …
- Prayer for my relationship and education. – Dear lord thank you for all you have done,I pray that you help my relationship and my boyfriend to love me more and we get …
- Prayer for papa as he turns 83 – may the good Lord keep Papa strong as he faces the twilight of his life. may death come gently when it is time and may …
- Prayer for hearts desires – That the good lord should grant my heart’s desires which are positive and some include to get married this year, to buy a car this …
- Prayer for my birthday – Father god I thank you for another birthday thank you for the joy and happiness you bring into my life I ask you to grand …
- Humbly seeks prayers – On my 43 birthday I humbly request kindhearted people to pray for my happiness and happiness of others, eternal peace, happy long life, good health …
- Prayer for a lonesome birthday – Lord God, I ask you to bless all those who celebrated their birthday alone. Give joy in their hearts and people to cheer them up. …
Prayers Before Meals (Grace)
Meals are an important time to realize how lucky we are to have enough to eat, and give God thanks. We hope you will find these blessing useful.
If you are seeking to grow closer to Christ, for your family or just yourself, try out our interdenominational Daily Devotion, which is new every day. Prayers, music, artwork, Scripture and Commentary; reading it each day, or even every once in a while, will enrich your life.
Two Commonly Used Blessings
Bless, O Lord, this food to our use and us to thy service, and keep us ever mindful of the needs of others. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
For this and all we are about to receive, make us truly grateful, Lord. Through Christ we pray. Amen.
There are hundreds of prayer forms used before meals. Here are some good ones:
For good food and those who prepare it, for good friends with whom to share it, we thank you Lord.
For food in a world where many walk in hunger;
For faith in a world where many walk in fear;
For friends in a world where many walk alone;
We give you thanks, O Lord.
Let us thank God for food when others are hungry; for drink when others are thirsty; for friends when others are lonely.
Be present at our table, Lord!
Be here and everywhere adored.
Your mercies bless, and grant that we
May feast in Paradise with Thee
(or: May strengthened for thy service be.)
Bless the Lord, O my soul, And all that is within me, bless his holy name.
Bless the Lord, O my soul, And forget not all his benefits.
Blessed be God, eternal king, for these and all his good gifts to us.
Our Dear Heavenly Father, we thank Thee for this food. Feed our souls on the bread of life and help us to do our part in kind words and loving deeds. We ask in Jesus’ name.
Our Heavenly Father, kind and good,
we thank Thee for our daily food.
We thank Thee for Thy love and care.
Be with us Lord, and hear our prayer.
Most Holy, Righteous and everywhere present God,
our Father who art in Heaven,
we ask thy blessing upon this food.
Bless the hearts and hands that provide the same.
And when it is ours to pass from time to eternity,
own us and crown us heirs to Thy kingdom.
These favors and blessings we ask in the name of Christ,
our Great Redeemer.
From thy hand cometh every good,
We thank thee for our daily food.
And with it Lord, thy blessing give,
And to thy glory may we live.
Great God accept our gratitude,
For the great gifts on us bestowed–
For rainment, shelter and for food.
Great God, our gratitude we bring,
Accept our humble offering,
For all the gifts on us bestowed,
Thy name be evermore adored.
May this food so fresh and fragrant, call forth reverence for You in our souls. As you give this strength to our perishable limbs, So give us grace for our immortal lives.
Be present at our table, Lord; Be here and everywhere adored. These mercies bless, and grant that we May feast in fellowship with thee.
Blessing for Thanksgiving Day
Our Father in Heaven, we give thanks for the pleasure of gathering together for this occasion. We give thanks for this food prepared by loving hands. we give thanks for life, the freedom to enjoy it all, and all other blessings.
As we partake of this food, we pray for health and strength to carry on and try to live as You would have us. This we ask in the name of Christ, Our Heavenly Father. Amen.
Dear Heavenly Father, Thank You for this special day, a day to remember Your goodness to us.
Thank You for a roof over our heads, and more than enough food to eat.
Thank You for the family You have given to us, for family and friends who have gathered together to eat this Thanksgiving Day meal. Amen
O Gracious God, we give you thanks for your overflowing generosity to us. Thank you for the blessings of the food we eat and especially for this feast today. Thank you for our home and family and friends, especially for the presence of those gathered here. Thank you for our health, our work and our play. Please send help to those who are hungry, alone, sick and suffering war and violence. Open our hearts to your love. We ask your blessing through Christ your son. Amen.
Especially Suitable for Children
For food and health and happy days
receive our gratitude and praise
In serving others Lord may we
Repay our dept of love to thee.
Thank you for the food we eat,
Thank you for the world so sweet,
Thank you for the birds that sing,
Thank you God for everything.
God is great, God is good.
Let us thank him for our food.
By his hands, we are fed.
Let us thank him for our bread.
God our Father, Lord and Saviour
Thank you for your love and favor
Bless this food and drink we pray
And all who shares with us today.
Without Thy sunshine and Thy rain
We could not have the golden grain;
Without Thy love we’d not be fed;
We thank Thee for our daily bread.Amen.
This clever one was written by Robert Burns
Some hae meat and canna eat,
And some would eat that want it;
But we hae meat, and we can eat,
Sae let the Lord be thankit.
Come, Lord Jesus, our guest to be
And bless these gifts
Bestowed by Thee.
And bless our loved ones everywhere,
And keep them in Your loving care.
We thank you, God
We thank you, God, for this our food,
for life and health and every good.
Let manna to our souls be given —
the bread of life sent down from heaven.
From a hymn by John Cennick, 1745
Several from Ireland:
May the blessing of the five loaves and the two fishes which God shared out among the five thousand be ours. May the King who did the sharing bless our sharing and our co-sharing.
Bless, O Lord, this food we are about to eat; and we pray You, O God, that it may be good for our body and soul; and if there be any poor creature hungry or thirsty walking along the road, send them into us that we can share the food with them, just as You share your gifts with all of us.
May this food restore our strength, giving new energy to tired limbs, now thoughts to weary minds. May this drink restore our souls, giving new vision to dry spirits, new warmth to cold hearts. And once refreshed, may we give new pleasure to You, who gives us all.
This one is from the Carmina Gadelica collected by Alexander Carmichael, late 1800’s
Give us O God of the nourishing meal, well-being to the body, the frame of the soul.
Give us O God of the honey-sweet milk,
the sap and the savor of the fragrant farms.
God in our waking, God in our speaking;
God in our cooking, God in our eating;
God in our playing, God in our digesting;
God in our working, God in our Resting.
In a world where so many are hungry,
may we eat this food with humble hearts;
in a world where so many are lonely,
May we share this friendship with joyful hearts.
O you who clothe the lilies of the field, and feed the birds of the air, who leads the sheep to pasture and the hart to the water’s side, who has multiplied the loaves and fishes and converted the water to wine, do come to our table as giver and guest, to dine.
O Lord, who clothes the lilies
And feeds the birds of the sky,
Who leads the lambs to pasture
And the deer to the waterside,
Who has multiplied loaves and fishes
And converted water to wine,
O Lord, come to our table,
As guest and giver, to dine.
Lord, bless this food and grant that we May thankful for thy mercies be. Teach us to know by whom we’re fed; Bless us with Christ, the living bread.
Blessings for Christmastide
In the peace of this season our spirits are joyful: With the beasts and angels, the shepherds and stars, with Mary and Joseph we sing God’s praise. By your coming may the hungry be filled with good things, and may our table and home be blessed. Bless us O Lord, and these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty through Christ our Lord. Amen.
God of all gifts, we thank you for the many ways you have blessed us this day. We are grateful each of those who are gathered around this table. We ask you to bless us and our food and to bless those we love who are not with us today. In our gratitude and love, we remember your humble birth into our lives and pray for those who are are without enough to eat. We remember the stable in which you were born and pray for those who have no place to live. We remember your challenging message of caring and giving and we pray for peace in families and nations throughout the world. We bless you and give you thanks in your Spirit who brings our hearts to life the Christmas Day and forever. Amen.
Ah, dearest Jesus, holy Child,
Make thee a bed, soft, undefiled,
Within my heart, that it may be
A quiet chamber kept for Thee.
My heart for very joy doth leap,
My lips no more can silence keep,
I too must sing, with joyful tongue,
That sweetest ancient song,
Glory to God in highest heaven,
Who unto man His Son hath given
While angels sing with pious mirth.
A glad new year to all the earth! Amen.
(written by Martin Luther)
I am not yet born; O hear me.
Let not the bloodsucking bat or the rat or the stoat or the
club-footed ghoul come near me.
I am not yet born, console me.
I fear that the human race may with tall walls wall me,
with strong drugs dope me, with wise lies lure me,
on black racks rack me, in blood-baths roll me.
I am not yet born; provide me
With water to dandle me, grass to grow for me, trees to talk
to me, sky to sing to me, birds and a white light
in the back of my mind to guide me.
I am not yet born; forgive me
For the sins that in me the world shall commit, my words
when they speak me, my thoughts when they think me,
my treason engendered by traitors beyond me,
my life when they murder by means of my
hands, my death when they live me.
I am not yet born; rehearse me
In the parts I must play and the cues I must take when
old men lecture me, bureaucrats hector me, mountains
frown at me, lovers laugh at me, the white
waves call me to folly and the desert calls
me to doom and the beggar refuses
my gift and my children curse me.
I am not yet born; O hear me,
Let not the man who is beast or who thinks he is God
come near me.
I am not yet born; O fill me
With strength against those who would freeze my
humanity, would dragoon me into a lethal automaton,
would make me a cog in a machine, a thing with
one face, a thing, and against all those
who would dissipate my entirety, would
blow me like thistledown hither and
thither or hither and thither
like water held in the
hands would spill me.
Let them not make me a stone and let them not spill me.
Otherwise kill me.
Я еще не родился. Послушай меня.
Пусть не кровососущая летучая мышь или крыса, или горностая, или
Косолапый гуль подошел ко мне.
Я еще не родился, утешайте меня.
Я боюсь, что человеческая раса может с высокими стенами стеной меня,
С сильными наркотиками изнасиловать меня, с мудрой ложью заманить меня,
На черных стойках ложи меня, в кровавых ваннах закатывай меня.
Я еще не родился; предоставь мне
С водой, чтобы потакать мне, трава, чтобы расти для меня, деревья, чтобы говорить
Для меня, небо, чтобы петь мне, птицы и белый свет
В глубине души, чтобы вести меня.
Я еще не родился; прости меня
За грехи, которые во мне совершит мир, мои слова
Когда они говорят мне, мои мысли, когда они думают обо мне,
Моя измена, порожденная предателями вне меня,
Моя жизнь, когда они убивают с помощью моего
Руки, моя смерть, когда они живут.
Я еще не родился; Репетируйте меня
В частях, которые я должен играть, и репликах, которые я должен принять, когда
Старики читают мне лекции, бюрократы одолевают меня, горы
Хмуриться надо мной, любовники смеются надо мной, белый
Волны зовут меня к глупости, и пустыня зовет
Меня обречённость, а нищий отказывается
Мой дар и мои дети ругают меня.
Я еще не родился; О, послушайте меня,
Пусть не тот человек, который зверь или кто думает, что он Бог
подходи ко мне.
Я еще не родился; Оставьте меня
С силой против тех, кто замерзнет
Человечество, драгун меня в смертельный автомат,
Сделал бы меня винтиком в машине,
Одно лицо, вещь и против всех тех
Кто рассеял бы мою целостность,
Взорвать меня, как пушинку сюда и
Туда или сюда и сюда
Как вода, содержащаяся в
Руки прольют меня.
Пусть они не сделают меня камнем и не позволят им пролить меня.
Иначе убей меня.