Whether we are seeking forgiveness for our own sins or asking God to help us forgive others, prayer is the first place to start when seeking restoration and healing. The below prayers can help guide your thoughts and words as you seek being forgiven or help in forgiving others. It is a big step to seek out forgiveness and you have taken a bold step in faith!
Before we jump into specific prayers for forgiveness, you may want to take some time to consider what God commands of us concerning forgiveness and why it’s so critical to be able to forgive. Visit our article: What Does the Bible Say About Forgiveness?
Photo credit: ©Thinkstock/DedMityay
There arent many things in life more important than forgiveness. As Christians, we understand that we all make mistakes, and that we must learn to forgive, as God forgives us.
Below are a few sample prayers for forgiveness. Submit your prayer request below to ask God for forgiveness.
A Prayer for Forgiveness
I have sinned, Lord, and while I know that all have sinned and come
short I am having a hard time letting go of my shame and accepting your forgiveness.
I know that I am unworthy of your love, but Your Word promises
forgiveness as long as we confess our sins to You and repent.
I am so sorry for falling short of what You expect of me,
and I pray for your mercy and the strength not to make the same mistakes again.
There are many circumstances when we need to ask to be forgiven. One of the more common circumstances that we see in prayer requests, is asking for forgiveness after an infidelity.
We must learn to forgive even after the most hurtful of actions.
Forgiveness After an Affair
Being betrayed by a spouse is a very painful thing,
but we know, Lord, that it is Your will that we learn to forgive.
What others do should never impact our walk with you, God.
We need to be able to learn to forgive even the most painful breach of trust.
Help us to forgive our spouse the same way that we want You to forgive us,
and give us peace and healing for our broken hearts.
Table of contents
- 1 Forgiveness in The Scriptures
- 2 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Forgiveness”
- 3 Recent prayer requests…
- 4 Prayer for Forgiveness of Sin and Eternal Life
- 5 Prayer for Forgiveness of Others
- 6 Prayer for the Sin of Adultery
- 7 Prayer for Guidance and Forgiveness
- 8 Prayer for God’s Hand and Guidance In a Sin-Ridden Life
- 9 Verses:
Forgiveness in The Scriptures
The word of God offers us guidance on how to forgive our neighbors, and ourselves.
“Then Peter came up and said to him, Lord, how often will my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? As many as seven times? Jesus said to him, I do not say to you seven times, but seventy times seven.””
Read more Bible Verses about Forgiveness
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “Prayers for Forgiveness”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- For my trouble marriage- I need my husband an I back together. …
- Forgiveness- I pray for forgiveness for all my sins that I’ve committed against our loving Savior & against all people in my past!!! …
- Restoration, peace and removal of wickedness- I pray that the Lord will restore peace to my family. I pray that he would remove any wickedness from me and do not allow… …
- Restoration- I am a Christian you was born again in my 20s and I am now in my sixties. I confessed unbelief in the word of… …
- Restoration falling away from the Lord- To be restored to my First Love “the Lord” in an intimate relationship as before. To know His love, peace, presence and restoration. …
- Lend me you hope for a while, I seem to have lost mine- i need the assurance of God’s forgiveness. …
- Court victory- My prayers are actually three fold. I wish for the Lord’s Grace to restore my earthly fathers health. I made a small mistake, involving theft… …
- Free from Bondage & Break Generational Curse of Prison & Drugs- I want to be the one to Break the Generational curse of drug dealing, drug taken and prison. I have 3 sons, I don’t want… …
- Seek Freedom- Committed theft crimes over huge sum to my ex companies and facing legal suit. I cant afford to go to jail. seek HELP n leniency… …
- Lost- Lord please forgive me I began life as a Catholic.. Went to a Catholic school was raised that way until around the time my father… …
- Prayer for those separated in marriage and their children- Dear Precious Heavenly Father, I pray that you help and save all those in marital separation and divorce. Please bless them and their children. Help… …
- Prayer for my daughter- Please pray for my daughter to forgive me and for God to bring us together again. And to keep her safe. …
- Frankie and Shannon- Heavenly Father, I come before you and lay this troubled marriage/relationship in your hands. I ask that you would revive this couple, and draw them… …
- Closer to christ- To be more focus in my relationship with God. …
- For enemies- Lord help me to forgive completely my ex wife and her husband and the believers who abused me.Help me to fully let go of any… …
- Forgiveness- Father God, I come to humble as I know. Father I ask that you remove all the negative thoughts and replace them with forgiveness. Father… …
- Forgive infidelity- I ask for prayer for me and my husband. I found out he cheated on me with a coworker. It lasted a year. I am… …
- Prayer for forgiveness and hope- Please pray for me that the Lord may forgive me for offending him many times and that I have a prayerful heart and humbly bow… …
- Deliverance, blessing- I was mentally repeating a blessing and telling the devil to get away and I got mixed up and accidentally blessed the devil. I’ve since… …
- Strength- Pray for me cause I want to give up. …
More prayers posted in: Forgiveness
We should not be satisfied merely to keep the commandments of God, but should always be ready to do good deeds, even when others do not command them. The commandments of God state the minimum requirements for salvation. They should be kept not merely according to the scripture, but also according to the spirit, which obliges us to strive for greater perfection. We are sinful from birth, but God’s great love can save us if we allow Him to live within our hearts. Have you asked God for forgiveness of all of your transgressions? If the answer is no, He is anxiously waiting for you. Listen, and allow Him to lead.
If the need for prayer is what you are seeking most, may it be asking for forgiveness or guidance, whether in your own life, or in the life of someone you love, let us pray for you at the holiest place on earth, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. We have faith that sending your prayer to the place where our Lord Jesus Christ gave his life for us will help your request be granted! It is our honor and privilege to be a prayer warrior for you, and to ask the Lord to watch over you, protect you, and keep you, always. Please submit your prayer request today.
“But I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who spitefully use you and persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven; for He makes His sun rise on the evil and on the good, and sends rain on the just and on the unjust.” Matthew 5:44-45
Prayer for Forgiveness of Sin and Eternal Life
Father, I know that I have broken your laws and my sins have separated me from you. I am truly sorry, and now I want to turn away from my past sinful life toward you. Please forgive me, and help me avoid sinning again. I believe that your son, Jesus Christ died for my sins, was resurrected from the dead, is alive today, and hears my pray. I invite Jesus to become the Lord of my life, to rule and reign in my heart from this day forward. Please send your Holy Spirit to help me obey You, and to do Your will for the rest of my life. Amen.
Prayer for Forgiveness of Others
Father, I need your help and your insights. Today I have gained a better understanding of forgiving others and with your help, I fully forgive from my heart. Although I have been sinned against, I know I myself have sinned against others. You have freely forgiven me, so I forgive them as well. Father, I ask you to forgive me for hurting others out of my own hurt and to heal my relationships with others. I pray all of this in Jesus’ precious name and by whom all forgiveness and healing was made possible.
Prayer for the Sin of Adultery
Lord, I repent of all the sin in my life. I have committed adultery against my spouse, and I am so sorry. The decision I made to cheat on the partner you placed in my life was and is a terrible act on my part. Please forgive me. Please allow my spouse to forgive me in time, and heal our marriage. I am truly sorry for the wrong that I have done, and the hurt that I have caused to You as well as my family. If there is any sin that I don’t know of, please bring it to my mind that I may repent as well. Please forgive me Lord of any pride, rebellion, vanity, jealousy, judging, distrust, prejudice, dishonesty, theft, greed, spiritual adultery or fornication, or any spiritual murder. I ask this in Your precious name, amen.
Prayer for Guidance and Forgiveness
I am lost at this moment in my life. I have gone down the wrong road, and I am having a difficult time getting back to where I need to be. I want to do the right thing and keep true to myself, but it’s very hard to fight the demons that have pulled me back down. I need You, my precious Lord, to help get back on the right path and to stay away from this destructive life that I feel I am leading. I know I am the only one to blame for my actions. But I know if You will give me the courage, strength, and will to walk away, I can make it through with my eyes on You.
Prayer for God’s Hand and Guidance In a Sin-Ridden Life
Lord, you promised that when I seek You with all our heart, I will find You. I seek only after You. I ask that you still my troubled heart, calm my wayward mind, as I seek only after You. I’m never going to be able to figure this out on my own, and right now I’m leaning heavily on You. I give you all the anxieties and fears I feel inside, and I release them all to You. I know You will grant forgiveness of my sins. I ask that you please so, as I am truly sorry for the wrong I’ve done in my life. I open up my life so that it becomes like an open book before You. Amen
“For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus.” Romans 3:23-24
“You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God.” James 4:4
“Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins.” 1 Peter 4:8