A morning prayer is a wonderful way to focus your time and attention on seeking God’s plan for the day ahead. Whether you need encouragement, peace, strength, or rest, God can meet you in a very real and present way when you come before Him with a humble heart. Seek God’s presence each morning before your energy and attention is pulled by all the tasks you have ahead.
Table of contents
Here are 10 helpful morning prayers to start your day:
1. “Lord, may nothing separate me from You today. Teach me how to choose only Your way today so each step will lead me closer to You. Help me walk by the Word and not my feelings. Help me to keep my heart pure and undivided. Protect me from my own careless thoughts, words, and actions. And keep me from being distracted by MY wants, MY desires, MY thoughts on how things should be. Help me to embrace what comes my way as an opportunity… rather than a personal inconvenience. And finally, help me to rest in the truth of Psalm 86:13, ‘Great is your love toward me.’ You already see the ways I will fall short and mess up. But right now, I consciously tuck Your whisper of absolute love for me into the deepest part of my heart. I recognize Your love for me is not based on my performance. You love me warts and all. That’s amazing. But what’s most amazing is that the Savior of the world would desire a few minutes with me this morning. Lord, help me to forever remember what a gift it is to sit with You like this. Amen.”
– Lysa Terkeurst
“I have set the LORD always before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” – Psalm 16:8
3. “Dear Lord, I don’t know who or what will cross my path today. But I do know that You are my Rock and my Fortress. You are my Shield and my Strong Tower. Help me to anchor myself to You today. Teach me how to stand strong in You and choose only Your way today. Help me walk by Your truth and not my feelings. Help me to embrace anything that comes my way as an opportunity to see You at work and as an opportunity to point others to You. Thank You that You love me and nothing can ever take that away from me! Even if I fail today and fall short, You whisper Your unconditional love deep into my soul and remind me that Your mercies are new every morning. That truly amazes me, Lord. Thank You for meeting with me today. Would You wake me again tomorrow with the same sweet whisper of Your love? I can’t wait to meet with You again. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
– Wendy Blight
“You will keep in perfect peace him whose mind is steadfast, because he trusts in You.” Isaiah 26:3
5. “Lord, grant me tenacious winsome courage as I go through this day. When I am tempted to give up, help me to keep going. Grant me a cheerful spirit when things don’t go my way. And give me courage to do whatever needs to be done. In Jesus’ name, Amen.”
– Dr. Ray Pritchard
“For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and self-discipline.” 2 Timothy 1:7
6. “Father, my heart is heavy. I feel like I have to carry the burden alone. Words like overwhelmed, distraught, exhausted seem to describe where I am. I am not sure how to let you carry my heavy load, so please show me how. Take it from me. Let me rest and be refreshed so that my heart won’t be so heavy in the morning. In Jesus’ name. Amen.”
– Ron Moore
“Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your mind in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
7. “Dear Lord, help me remember what a difference it makes when I make time with You a priority in my morning. Awaken me in body and spirit each day with a desire to meet with You and to hear You speak words of affirmation, assurance and wisdom over my heart as I prepare to go into my day. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.”
– Traci Miles
“If any of your lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.” James 1:5
9. The prayer of Jabez: “Jabez cried out to the God of Israel, ‘Oh, that You would bless me and enlarge my territory! Let Your hand be with me, and keep me from harm so that I will be free from pain.'” 1 Chronicles 4:10
10. “I got up early one morning
And rushed right into the day;I had so much to accomplishThat I didn’t have time to pray.Problems just tumbled about me,And heavier came each task;’Why doesn’t God help me?’ I wondered.He answered, ‘You didn’t ask.’I wanted to see joy and beautyBut the day toiled on gray and bleakI wondered why God didn’t show meHe said, ‘But you didn’t seek’,I tried to come into God’s presence;I used all my keys in the lock.God gently and lovingly chided,’My child, you didn’t knock.’I woke up early this morning,And paused before entering the day;I had so much to accomplishThat I had to take time to pray.” -Author Unknown, The Difference
Please let us know how these morning prayers have helped you in the comments below! Join our large praying community and experience the peace and joy that God freely gives each day.
For more daily encouragement, read our 30 Inspirational Quotes that will help you shine your light today!
This article is part of our larger Prayers resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Visit our most popular prayers if you are wondering how to pray or what to pray. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can’t find the words to pray.
Prayer for Healing
Prayer for StrengthPrayer for ProtectionMorning PrayersGood Night PrayersSerenity PrayerA Birthday PrayerSinner’s PrayerPrayer for ForgivenessPrayer for GuidanceIntercessory PrayerPrayer for PeacePrayer for FaithPrayer for Love
Now available is our new Daily Prayer devotional! An easy way to find start your day with prayer, read today’s prayer and sign up to receive by email.
Often times we only pray when times are tough. The Prayer for Today is a prayer to be said every morning when we rise. It is a prayer to be said daily, whether times are good or bad.
How to say the Today Prayer
Say this prayer every morning before you begin your day. This will help you to focus on what is important in life as you go about your day. God, Family, Community, Charity etc…
Slowly, your life will be transformed for the better, as you commit yourself spiritually each day.
The Prayer for Today
Just for today, help me, God, to remember that my life is a gift,
that my health is a blessing, that this new day is filled with awesome potential,
that I have the capacity to bring something wholly new and unique and good into
Just for today, help me, God, to remember to be kind and patient to the
people who love me, and to those who work with me too. Teach me to see all the
beauty that I so often ignore, and to listen to the silent longing of my own soul.
Just for today, help me, God, to remember You.
Let this be a good day, God, full of joy and love.
Feel free to print off this prayer in order to easily access it each morning.
For more daily prayers and affirmations, visit our collection of
If you would like to post a prayer request today, please click on the link below. God Bless.
A Prayer for Today!
By Alistair Begg
“Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.” – >James 1:17
The believer in Christ receives a present justification. Faith does not produce this fruit later on, but now. So far as justification is the result of faith, it is given to the soul in the moment when it closes with Christ and accepts Him as its all in all. Are those who stand before the throne of God justified now? So are we as certainly and as clearly justified as those who have entered into the portals of heaven. The thief upon the cross was justified the moment that he turned the eye of faith to Jesus; and Paul, at the end of his life, after years of service, was not more justified than the thief who had no service at all.
We are today accepted in the Beloved, today absolved from sin, today acquitted at the bar of God’s judgment. What a soul-stirring thought! There are some benefits that we will not be able to enjoy until we enter heaven; but this is our immediate possession. This is not like the corn of the land, which we can never eat until we cross the Jordan; but this is part of the manna in the wilderness, a portion of our daily nutriment with which God supplies us in all our comings and goings.
We are now–even now–pardoned; even now are our sins put away; even now we stand in the sight of God accepted, as though we had never been guilty. Let our present privileges awaken us to present duty, and now, while life lasts, let us spend and be spent for our sweet Lord Jesus.
Heavenly Lord, may we never forget that we are yours, and that your love never changes regardless of time. This is the day you have made, and in every moment we will rejoice for you have taken our shame and made us your children!
*Editor’s Note: The following is an abridged version of Today! By Alistair Begg. To read the full devotional, follow this link.