“When Adam and Eve fell, they relinquished rulership of the earth to Satan, a fallen angelic being. Spiritual warfare is the reversal of that procedure. It is the unseen power encounter between the kingdom of God and the kingdom of darkness. Through prayer, fasting and exercising the authority of Christ and His cross, believers indwelt and empowered by the Holy Spirit are forcing angelic beings to relinquish rulership of the earth!” – Eddie and Alice Smith
The enemy hates intercession because we exercise our authority in Christ when we pray. It is one of the greatest things he will attack. I have been to so many prayer meetings over the years that were stopped or hindered because of enemy attack. We must realize that our fight is not against flesh and blood. It is an attack in the spiritual realm and is an unseen power encounter between two kingdoms. The enemy is on an all out attack to stop prayer, because he knows that there is power in intercession. There is power in even one intercessor that knows his/her authority in prayer.
The movie War Room is an excellent example of the power of prayer demonstrated in an elderly intercessor who knew her authority and would not give in to enemy lies. She taught a younger woman how to stand strong in prayer for her marriage, and God broke through in an amazing way. To my astonishment, I was able to watch this incredible Christian movie on an Islamic airlines last week while flying back to the U.S. God is making His name and the power of prayer known everywhere!
Do not look at your prayer life as a small ministry of no importance. The enemy knows full well how mighty you are in pulling down his strongholds, and he will try to intimidate, discourage, divide, or defeat you. Don’t accept his lies.
“Doubt. Deception. Discouragement. Division. It’s time for the church to stop accepting these enemy strikes as natural. Spiritual warfare is a reality that the church must face. It won’t go away on its own – but it can be dealt with through prayer.” Ways to Maintain Victory in Spiritual Warfare through Prayer“The church must do all it can to protect unity and destroy division. A local congregation becomes well prepared to resist the enemy when, finding itself in a conflict, people begin to ask the question, ‘What is the enemy trying to do here?’ Then, turning to the Lord, each asks an even more important question: ‘Lord, how do we counter these attacks of divisiveness against your people?'”
The following are ways you can personally maintain victory in spiritual warfare through prayer. I am especially emphasizing warfare in the area of relationships in our lives. This has to do with how we see God, how we see ourselves, and how we see and relate to others. Many times we are blinded to the ways that the enemy is trying to get us. I find that these reminders are extremely helpful when I am under attack. They may seem basic, but they have huge significance and perhaps are the greatest hindrances to the enemy’s success in defeating us. Pray through these ways of victory for yourself and the Church globally:
- Love God with all your heart, and abide in Him – Loving and abiding in God is so important in order to see answered prayer. I am personally, by nature, a warrior but my relationship with God is the best antidote against the enemies flaming missiles. We must know God intimately, and abide in that intimacy daily.
“If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you” (John 15:7).
- Speak out the attributes of God, and praise him daily in prayer – Worship is a powerful form of warfare. Praying and singing out loud about the greatness of God during moments when you are emotionally down makes a huge difference. Your heart begins to rise up, your feelings change, and you see the sovereignty and greatness of God.
“Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God” (Philippians 2:9-11).
- Know your identity in Christ– Your personal identity in Christ is the enemy’s strategy of attack against you. Know in your heart God’s incredible love for you. You are the beloved of God, a royal priest, the apple of God’s eye, and so much more. Remind yourself of these things. Pray God’s identity over your life using Psalm 139. You are God’s masterpiece.
“For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother’s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psalm 139:13-14).
- Depend on God’s wisdom and not your own– Understand the ways of God, and rely on His sufficiency. He is all-wise and all-knowing. Pray for the Spirit of wisdom and revelation in your life and decisions daily. Take time to listen to God.
“I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better” – (Ephesians 1:17).
- Know God’s Word as your weapons against the enemy’s lies– The Bible is your main defensive, for it is the truth that sets you free. Pick up your shield of faith, and protect your mind with the helmet of salvation. Speak out truth and faith. Strongholds come in through the mind, and God’s Word is a mighty weapon against them. Use God’s Word in your prayer times.
“Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free” – (John 8:32).
- Grow in holiness and humility– Humility enables you to receive the grace of God. It is opposite of the enemy. When you are submitted to God, the enemy flees. Pray for humility and holiness in your life, and offer your life to God as a living sacrifice.
“Therefore, I urge you, brothers, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as living sacrifices, holy and pleasing to God – this is your spiritual act of worship” – (Romans 12:1).
- Guard your relationships, and practice peace and love– Know the power of words, and watch your tongue carefully. Speak life words of peace and love rather than death words. Watch all criticism. Pray for your relationships and your church.
“Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good. Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above yourselves” – (Romans 12:9-10).
- Forgive quickly, and walk in unity– Learn to forgive quickly, and bless others. We can have no authority over a nation, city, or neighborhood when we have unforgiveness in our hearts. Release forgiveness and blessings to all. Ask for forgiveness quickly when you sin.
“Bear with each other and forgive whatever grievances you may have against one another. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them together in perfect unity” – (Colossians 3:13-14).
- Have extended times of prayer and fasting – Learn to exercise the authority you have in Christ. Extended times in prayer and fasting increase spiritual authority. You are seated with Christ. Ask God to give you and your church grace for prayer and fasting. See Isaiah 58:6-14 for 18 benefits of fasting.
“Blow the trumpet in Zion, consecrate a fast, call a sacred assembly’” – (Joel 2:15).
Unity and prayer within the Church globally will have a dramatic effect in bringing in the world harvest.It is as we unite together that God can bring great breakthrough against the powers of darkness. Each of us need others to pray for us personally as we are involved in the ministry of prayer and intercession. Let we pray through these ways to maintain victory for all intercessors and their churches. Additional verses to study about spiritual warfare are in Ephesians 6:10-20.
“The real danger for us is not the enemy’s schemes, but being unaware of them – and thus, unprotected from them. We tend to approach difficulties in the church as though they are ‘natural’ things. But when churches divide over whether to use hymns or contemporary choruses, it’s not natural. When a flock turns on its shepherd, it’s not natural. When saints, called to live in love and peace, spend their time criticizing and accusing one another, it’s not natural. The devil has come to church.” Unnamed Quotes by David Butts
The Intercessors Arise International and Nations House of Prayer Equipping Center websites will help you to maintain victory through prayer. Included are dozens of motivational teachings on prayer and intercession.
Together in the Harvest,
Intercessors Arise International
International House of Prayer Kansas City (IHOPKC)
Here are 20 prayer points for victory in all aspects of your life.
It’s important not to underestimate the power of prayer. The combination of hard work and continuous prayers is enough to move any mountains ahead of you. I believe the prayer points below will put you in the right mind frame to live victoriously today.
Be determined in 2017 to grow spiritual and in your life pursuits.
20 Prayer Points for Victory and Favour
1. O Lord, illuminate Your truth to my understanding.
2. Lord, let me, with the eyes of my heart, see You clearly.
3. Let the spirit of favour fall upon me now, in the name of Jesus.
4. Lord, take away from me all powers do not originate from You.
5. Profitless hard-work, pack your load and go out of my life, in the name of Jesus.
6. I refuse to do profitless work, in the name of Jesus.
7. O Lord, shield me from all forms of deception.
8. No weapon of satan and his agents fashioned against me shall prosper, in the name of Jesus.
9. Lord Jesus, I thank You for answering my prayer.
10. Lord, give me the solution to any problem facing me, in the name of Jesus.
11. I reject the spirit of impossibility, I claim open doors, in the name of Jesus.
12. O Lord, as You delight in my prosperity, I pray that You bless me indeed in my work.
13. Father Lord, increase my greatness and comfort me on every side, in the name of Jesus.
14. I bind the spirit of depression, frustration and disillusionment in my life, in the name of Jesus.
15. I recover all the ground that I had lost to the enemy, in Jesus’ name.
16. Lord, open doors of opportunity to me through this prayer, in the name of Jesus.
17. Holy Spirit, set me on Fire for God.
18. The Lord should anoint me to pull down negative strongholds standing against me, in the name of Jesus.
19. Let blessings, goodness and prosperity pursue and overtake me, in the mighty name of Jesus.
20. Thank God for His provision so far.
Prayer points by Dr Olukoya