Here are 4 more signs that you might be under spiritual attack.
Table of contents
Drastic Changes at Home, Work or Health
We know that Satan is the prince of the power of the air (Eph 2:2) and he can make life hard for those who are believers in Christ. Job is an example of Satan buffeting those who trust in God. I remember a pastor teaching about spiritual attacks. The week that he was preparing his sermon, his washer suddenly broke down, his heating and air conditioning system burned up, his wife became very ill and one of his children was beaten up at school. Were these things simply coincidence? I know of many other pastors who had similar experiences, although not quite as drastic as these. Satan doesn’t want the church to know about him. He is good with most people believing he is a myth. Satan and his minions are more dangerous when they appear to not exist.
New Get the daily Faith In The News Story in your FB messenger. Just click the blue button to get started
Increasing Patterns of Fear
I believe there is a reason that the most frequent thing that Jesus mentioned and is recorded in the Bible is “fear not” is because He knows our tendency to do just that. There are 365 mentions of “fear not” or something very similar to this. That means that we have at least one “fear not” for every day of the year. Sometimes even deacons, elders, experienced Christians and yes, even pastors have times of fear. They might fear whether they are truly saved or not. They might fear that they are a false convert. The only fear however that is beneficial is a fear of the Lord for that is the beginning of wisdom but this fear is a fear that means we have a holy, deep and abiding reverence for God and that we strive to obey Him in all things. If you are having bouts with fear, you might be under spiritual attack. The way to thwart these finery darts is to get into the Word of God and fall on your knees. Believe God’s Word and don’t trust your feelings. Human feelings are highly unreliable but God’s Word is always true and why Jesus repeatedly said “fear not.”
Marital and Family Conflict
Since we know that Satan wants to destroy the Christian family, he will often try to create friction between husbands and wives and between children and parents. This could also include in-laws, cousins, uncles and aunts. There is no better way for the enemy to try and discourage the Christian than to drive a wedge between the members of the family. Be aware that Satan seeks to destroy the foundation of nations…the family and what better place for him to focus his attacks on than the Christian family.
Many that I counsel feel that God has let them down and they fall away from church or their belief in God. They also stop reading their Bible. They might even pull away from their Christian friends but that is exactly what Satan wants. That’s where Satan is most dangerous. He would love nothing more than to try and isolate you. Satan is described as a roaring lion who is roaming about, seeking whom he might devour (1 Pet 5:8) and just like in the wild, a lion will most likely attack the straggler, the one who becomes separated from the herd. If you feel like separating from other believers, take warning. You are more vulnerable when you are walking the Christian life as a solo act. There truly is safety in numbers.
May God richly bless you,
Pastor Jack Wellman
Image Source: C BY-SA Arden
Modifications: text added
Do you ever find yourself trudging along as if in a fog? Something’s off and you can’t nail it down. You’re swimming through mud and nothing makes sense. Finally the light-bulb goes off in your mind; you’re under spiritual attack. Stuff is going on in the unseen realm and it’s affecting you.
The cloak of darkness over your mind is a common symptom of the fog of war (aptly so named by John Eldredge). Often our most dramatic challenges come after a spiritual high or significant progress. If you don’t recognize it for what it is, the attack may take you down. Understanding what it feels like when under spiritual attack is a wonderful key allowing you to get your fight back.
Jesus said, “The thief does not come, except to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.” (John 10:10) So if there’s stealing, killing, and destroying going on, you can be certain the enemy is at work! Jesus always gives life.
The enemy will use any means he can to mess with us as God’s children. Here are three that, if you become alert to them, can save you a great deal of distress.
Three Characteristics of Satan’s Attacks
God will not usually add His voice to a cacophony of sound in your head, your life, the church, or the world at large. God does not use confusion to drive or oppress you. “God is not the author of confusion, but of peace.” (1 Corinthians 14:33) It’s the enemy who darkens, messes with, and confuses our minds. (2 Corinthians 4:4)
The Holy Spirit may stir up your mind in order to correct some wrong attitude or behavior or to press you forward in your mission for God, but He will never cause a cloud of confusion and darkness in your mind. If that’s what you’re feeling, it’s Satan’s work, not God’s.
What’s the answer? Quit trying to figure things out when your mind is filled with confusion. Don’t keep on playing into the enemy’s hand and accepting the confusion he is trying to bring. Quite literally stop thinking! Put up a mental stop sign, and STOP!
Distract yourself if need be. Deliberately put your mind somewhere else. Choose somewhere peaceful such as nature, calming music, worshipping God, or listening prayer.
Let your mind become still, and then you will be able to hear God’s voice.
Oh, don’t you love the verse, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus” (Romans 8:1). We are set free!
And yet the Holy Spirit is not finished with us yet. We have growing up to do. Parts of our character need to be changed. The Holy Spirit is the One who convicts us when we sin and need to be corrected.
Condemnation from the enemy and conviction from the Holy Spirit may appear somewhat similar from the outside, but they could not feel more different. And their results are as opposite as life and death.
Condemnation draws you downward. It’s hopeless, dark, and holds you in the past. It feels like the end.
Conviction from the Holy Spirit draws you upward. There is hope, light, and a focus on your future. It points the way to receiving God’s forgiveness and provides strength to go forward. It feels like the beginning.
If you are feeling condemned in your heart you can know—with absolute certainty—that it is not from God. “For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but that the world through Him might be saved (John 3:17). Go back to Scripture. Read John 3:16. Read John 6:37: “He who comes to Me I will never cast out.” Read Luke 19:10: “For the Son of Man came to seek and to save that which was lost.” Choose to believe that you are exactly the one for whom Jesus came and died.
If you are feeling conviction from the Holy Spirit you will know what to do. “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9) Ask for God’s forgiveness. Make things right with others to the degree it is within your power to do so.
And then get on with the mission God has given you to do!
3. Manipulation and Control.
We need guidance, encouragement, teaching, protection, and sometimes even correction. We need appropriate authority in business, society, government, the church, and even in the home in order to maintain peace and allow human beings to thrive. Our well-being is often affected by how well those in authority fulfill their responsibilities.
But Satan has a sinister way of twisting God’s concept of authority and turning it into manipulation and control. In the home this has resulted in domestic violence and the subjection of (usually) women and children to the whims and desires of (usually) men. In the church this has resulted in toxic religion, cults, twisted applications of church discipline, and attempts at “elder” control of minute aspects of people’s lives.
When another human being attempts to control or manipulate you for their own purposes, you can be sure it is Satan’s work and not God’s. Jesus came as a servant, and those who rightly exercise His authority will do the same. “He who is greatest among you shall be your servant” (Matthew 23:11).
Jesus never delegated to any human being the right to play junior Holy Spirit in anyone else’s life. If someone is trying to play that role in your life, be very suspicious. Realize that Jesus alone is your Lord; all others must take a lower place.
When You’re Under Attack
Learn to be wary of confusion, condemnation, and manipulation and control. Use your feelings as a barometer; sometimes they may alert you to an attack from the enemy.
If you become aware of these feelings, STOP. Survey your mind and heart for these characteristics of the enemy.
And then use your precious emotional energy to enter God’s presence. Get calm and listen for His voice. He will meet you there.
Your Turn: Have you been aware of confusion, condemnation, or manipulation and control in your life? Can you see that as the enemy at work? How does that help you get your fight back? Leave a comment below.
Tweetables: why not share this post?
- If there’s confusion, condemnation, or manipulation and control it’s the enemy at work, not God. Tweet that.
Defeating Fear and Anxiety is Possible!
Victory in spiritual warfare is possible. Jesus fought the enemy – and won! You can experience that in your own life also.
There’s more about this in my book Overcoming Fear and Anxiety through Spiritual Warfare. Right now Amazon has the book available at a discount. (How nice!) We have no way of knowing how long this special pricing will be available.
And you can get a FREE CHAPTER right here.
Read a FREE Sample Chapter NOW
Many Christians do not realize they are under the attack of the enemy until it’s over. They have failed to recognize they were being targeted. When they do the damage has already been done. The Bible teaches we should not be ignorant of the devils tactics (2 Corinthians 2:11). In this article we will expose the works of darkness by helping you identify them as they are happening in real time.
A spiritual attack is a sudden, violent, aggressive action taken against you. The key word here is sudden. The enemy likes the element of surprise. The enemy sowed the tares among the wheat, at night, while the servants slept (Matthew 13:25). This speaks of his ability to surprise attack us. These sudden attacks can leave us stunned and paralyzed. When the attacks are ongoing, they can be due to unbroken generational curses.
When people are attacked, they often describe it as having periods of peace followed by a sudden barrage of devastating events that left them spiritually, emotionally and physically crippled. If this has happened to you it’s time to fight fire with fire! Let’s identify the signs of a spiritual witchcraft attack:
1. Doubt. Many people would not consider this a sign of witchcraft but it is. Once witchcraft begins to work you start to feel uncertain about your beliefs. You start to feel shaky and insecure. You can even become critical and start questioning things you never questioned before. You start to doubt your faith, your belief in the Lord Jesus, your Pastors and their decisions, your church, the bible, etc. Maybe even the calling of God on your life. Doubt will paralyze you in your steps. It’s the way the enemy gets his foot in the door. Doubt leads you to sin. If you’re having sudden bouts of doubt accompanied by a strong analytical spirit these are the beginning signs your under a witchcraft attack.
2. Confusion. As witchcraft begins to works it’s magic, it begins to produce a state of confusion and bewilderment in the believer. You know you’re under a witchcraft when you have a hard time trying to understand things. That is because your mind under siege. When witchcraft is at work you don’t know what to do at times. You may feel disoriented, confused, or lost. It’s hard for you to make a decision because you cannot even concentrate. You have trouble paying attention and staying focused. Your thoughts feel scrambled. You are easily distracted. You have trouble focusing and getting something done. You have trouble organizing things you must do or setting your priorities in order. You have trouble completing a task or learning something new. Confusion is a key sign of a witchcraft attack.
3. Forgetfulness. Under this type of spiritual oppression things can begin to slip your mind. It’s hard for you remember the details. You can forget events, names, or things. You start to forget Scriptures verses you once knew. You forget appointments or things you were supposed to do. Your mind can even go blank at times, where it’s hard for you to recall things. You can even forget what you wanted to pray for. Bouts of sudden forgetfulness are another sign of witchcraft.
4. Misfortune. When you’re under a witchcraft attack you start to experience what the world calls “bad luck.” Unexpected things begin to happen to you. You’re constantly being disappointed, going through setbacks and tragedy. Your life becomes a miserable experience. Relationships all of the sudden break. Business deals all of the sudden drop. Your endeavors feel like they have been sabotaged. You feel defeated. When witchcraft is at work it releases a “chain effect” or “chain reaction” of hardships. One bad thing after another suddenly happens to you.
5. Depression. You start to feel discouraged. You start to feel hopeless. You start to feel desperate. You feel emotionally, mentally and spiritually drained. You start to lose interest in doing the work of ministry. You start to fall into stagnation. You start to bury your talents and gifts. You start to slow down and even become isolated. You start do doubt your calling. Witchcraft left unchallenged long enough can make you feel overwhelmed in life. Where you can’t cope with the challenges ahead of you and see no meaning for living.
6. Quarreling. When witchcraft is at work, you can become angry and frustrated over little things. The little things become the big things and result big fights. You may even begin to fight over the things of God. The devil can turn a church service into point of contention or the way somebody prayed. You may find yourself fight after an anointed church service or your spouse. You feel irritated, uncomfortable, annoyed. You may even start to fight with your spouse in your marriage. You start picking fights for no reason. When witchcraft is at work it releases a spirit of contention.
7. Sickness, aches and pains. Witchcraft can also bring sickness, aches and pains. For example you may feel like your catching a cold or the flu. You may experience migraine headaches. Sometimes the headaches can last for days. You may feel a dull constant pain. Like a tight band of pressure is wrapped around your head. You may suffer from pain or stiffness in the neck and in the shoulders. Others may feel heaviness on their shoulders. Some may experience a tight chest. Others may suffer from sudden dizzy spells. Sudden sharp pains in the head or the body. Buzzing noises in the ears. Your eyes might feel irritated or feel a burning sensation. Some can even experience out breaks on the skin, allergies or rashes.
8. Constant Fatigue. Witchcraft attacks can make you feel tired all the time. This tiredness is supernatural. In the natural you have no reason to be tired, especially if you’re eating a balanced diet, exercising and getting sleep. Those under witchcraft may feel so tired they have to fight to stay awake. You take your coffee and energy drinks and still feel drained. You take your vitamins, eat healthy and sleep your 8 hours and you still feel like you could sleep for days. There is no medical reason for the tiredness. Some people fall asleep during their prayer time at church and at home. You feel drowsy or fall asleep reading your bible. You sense a great heaviness over your body. These symptoms can be attributed to a witchcraft attack. This can even spill over in the spiritual realm where you feel spiritually dull, apathetic, slow and lethargic. Where it’s difficult for you to feel excited over God’s presence, prayer, or his word.
9. Accident prone. When your under attack the devil tries to harm you any way he can. One of the ways he tries to harm you is through mishaps or accidents. When your under attack from the enemy you can become clumsy. You start bumping into things. Things bump into you. You start tripping over things. Things fall on you. Things will break around you. You may find yourself in accidents. Slip and falls. Car crashes or near car crashes. The freakiest things happen to you. Sprained ankles. Bad things just seem to happen to you.
10. Unnatural Fear. When you under a witchcraft attack you may start to have sudden abnormal fears; irrational fears. You begin to fear things you were never afraid of. For example, suddenly you’re afraid of leaving your house because your afraid something “bad” might happen to you. You might feel afraid that you’re being watched. The air around you feels strange; You fear you’re being targeted. Some begin to have an unexplained fear of the dark. This can be witchcraft at work.
11. Nightmares. When you have been targeted by witchcraft your dreams can become tormenting. You may have dreams where you find yourself eating food offered to you or weird dreams of having sex with other people you don’t know. These are signs witchcraft is being worked upon you in your dreams. Some times you may experience being attacked in your dreams by people, dogs, snakes, wolves or spiders. You may even wake up with marks on your body. When nighttime falls you start feel restless. Many thoughts begin to run through your mind not allowing you to sleep. Your mind is over active. You suffer from insomnia or sleep but can’t sleep profoundly. This can be an attack of witchcraft.
12. Sexually Seduced. When your being attacked by witchcraft you can find yourself having sudden battles of sexual nature. You may feel seduced, enticed or lead astray into sexual immorality. This is beyond the common temptation to sin. Some people may experience sudden and intense thoughts of sexual impurity. You may feel tempted to commit adultery, fornicate, watch pornography or masturbate. Some people may even backslide into sexual sins of the past. Big changes can happen to your sexual behavior when your under the spiritual attack of witchcraft.
If you are under the symptoms mentioned above, we advise you to begin to submit yourself to God, pray intensely and resist the devil (James 4:7). How do you resist the devil? In prayer begin to cancel all demonic assignments against your life in the name of Jesus. Secondly seek spiritual help from your Pastors and other mature Christians (James 5:14).
Please follow and like us:
7 Signs You Are Under Spiritual Attack
There was a time when someone suffering from a heart attack had little chance of survival because he or she didn’t know what was happening and ignored the symptoms until it was too late.
Medical advancements began identifying common warning signs such as discomfort and pressure in the center of the chest, pain on one or both arms, and shortness of breath.
Spreading awareness of the warning signs has greatly increased the survival rate for heart attack victims.
In a similar manner, many Christians seem to be blindsided by spiritual attacks.
When it comes to a spiritual attack, it is crucial to recognize the warning signs for survival.
Here are 7 Signs You Are Under Spiritual Attack…
Never miss a post again!, sign up for email alerts today.