Say the St Joseph Prayer to Sell a House if you’re having trouble selling your home or property. There are several steps that must be done for the prayer to be effective.
- 1 Obtain a Statue (Optional)
- 2 Say a St Joseph Novena
- 3 St Joseph’s Prayer to Sell a House
- 4 What is the St. Joseph Prayer
- 5 How Does the Ritual Prayer Work
- 6 The Burying of the Statue
- 7 Where Can I Find a Statue of St. Joseph
- 8 After Burying the Statue
- 9 Psalms to Evoke the Higher Powers
- 10 Have Faith
- 11 Community Q&A
- 12 Tips
- 13 Things You’ll Need
Obtain a Statue (Optional)
The St Joseph Prayer to sell a house requires that you buy a St Joseph statue. Once you’ve acquired the statue, you must bury it in your yard, within three feet of your For Sale sign.
Bury the statue upside down, but facing in the direction of the house that you’re trying to sell. Once this is done, say the following prayer:
Prayer to Sell a House
O, Saint Joseph,
you who taught our Lord
the carpenter’s trade,
and saw to it
that he was always properly housed,
hear my earnest plea.
I want you to help me now
as you helped your foster-child Jesus,
and as you have helped many others
in the matter of housing.
I wish to sell this quickly, easily, and profitably
and I implore you to grant my wish
by bringing me a good buyer,
one who is
eager, compliant, and honest,
and by letting nothing impede the
rapid conclusion of the sale.
Dear Saint Joseph,
I know you would do this for me
out of the goodness of your heart
and in your own good time,
but my need is very great now
and so I must make you hurry
on my behalf.
Saint Joseph, I am going to place you
in a difficult position
with your head in darkness
and you will suffer as our Lord suffered,
until this is sold.
Then, Saint Joseph, i swear
before the cross and God Almighty,
that i will redeem you
and you will receive my gratitude
and a place of honour in my home.
Say a St Joseph Novena
After burying the statue, also consider saying a novena to St Joseph. A novena is said consecutively for nine days, and can be an effective means to gaining a favorable intercession on your behalf.
The St Joseph Prayer and Novena can be found here…
It isn’t hard to realize that the housing market has rebounded, but it can still be difficult to sell a home. Some people become so desperate that they rely upon supernatural methods of garnering interest for their home. This may seem far fetched but there are dozens of people who claim they have improved their good fortunes by reciting the St. Joseph prayer. This is an ancient catholic prayer that has to improve a number of different situations, and it’s even believed to assist in the selling of a home.
St Joseph’s Prayer to Sell a House
O, Saint Joseph, you who taught our Lord the carpenter’s trade, and saw to it that he was always properly housed, hear my earnest plea. I want you to help me now as you helped your foster-child Jesus, and as you have helped many others in the matter of housing. I wish to sell this house quickly, easily, and profitably and I implore you to grant my wish by bringing me a good buyer, one who is eager, compliant, and honest, and by letting nothing impede the rapid conclusion of the sale.
Dear Saint Joseph, I know you would do this for me out of the goodness of your heart and in your own good time, but my need is very great now and so I must make you hurry on my behalf.
Saint Joseph, I am going to place you in a difficult position with your head in darkness and you will suffer as our Lord suffered, until this house is sold. Then, Saint Joseph, I swear before the cross and God Almighty, that I will redeem you and you will receive my gratitude and a place of honor in my home.
Have a Distressed Real Estate Expert Take a Look at Your Case
Enter your information to get a complimentary case analysis
What is the St. Joseph Prayer
In the four gospels, (Mark, Matthew, Luke and John) Joseph is described as a silent man yet he’s also an individual of great faith. He’s one of the better known saints, and he’s rumored to have died in the arms of Jesus and Mary. This is the same man who was charged with raising the son of God as the husband of Mary. Many lesser men would have left their virgin brides, but Joseph had unwavering faith. Since Joseph was so upstanding, Pope Leo XIII issued as series of letters in 1889, naming Jesus’s stepfather as a patron Saint of the church. However, the prayer dedicated to this devout man of god has been around for more than 1900 years. Earliest accounts suggest that this short prayer was actually written in the year 50 A.D. However, the first well known accounts of people actually using it date back about 500 years. There’s no scientific explanation for how the prayer works, but it seems to do with having friends in high places. Joseph raised Jesus, and it seems like praying to him is an express way of getting miracles through to those in charge.
How Does the Ritual Prayer Work
According to the Ballen Group of Las Vegas, the prayer of Saint Joseph can be used to ward off communism, find a job and of course, sell a house. However, there are different ways of performing the prayer in order to achieve the desired results. It’s not just enough to say the prayer when you’re looking to sell your house fast. You also need a statue of the patron saint. The statue isn’t deified or placed upon an altar. Instead, it’s buried, to mimic the success of the first real estate prayers dedicated to St. Joseph.
The Burying of the Statue
In the 1500’s, a group of nuns in Europe were seeking more land for their crops and livestock. They apparently said the prayer of Saint Joseph and buried their medals which were imprinted with his image. The prayers of the nuns were answered as they received ample land to sustain their cloister. This is the origin the ritual of burying something that represents the saint. It was more than 500 years ago when these nuns revealed the power of the prayer regarding real estate, and thousands of others have garnered similar success. It’s believed that the ancient religious ritual of sacrificing something is enough to appease higher powers. The web is bursting with stories of people who utilized the prayer after burying the statue, and they were nowhere near as devout as the nuns.
Where Can I Find a Statue of St. Joseph
The term ‘statue’ should be used loosely, because most of them are actually decorative figurines. The average statue is a mere 3.5″ tall, and they retail for less than $2 most of the time.
There are actually entire St. Joseph house selling kits and one seems to be as effective as the others. It’s important to note that this prayer and the statues have worked so well in the past that there are multiple companies dedicated to making these kits. A more expensive statue is viewed more favorably, because it requires a greater sacrifice.
The best place to begin looking for a statue of Saint Joseph is online; the Catholic Company sells a kit for $7.95 which includes detailed instructions as well as background information on the ritual. The Catholic Supply website has the largest selection of St Joe statues we could find. You should also be able to find the individual statue on Amazon or eBay. You should also be able to find the statue at a local Christian library or book store. The catholic friendly stores are more likely to carry the statues than are the protestant stores, so you may want to call around.
After Burying the Statue
The house selling kits may be better than the individually sold statues, because the kits include instructions. However, there isn’t really an exact protocol, so long as the prayer is said everyday. The words should be repeated exactly, and burying the statue lets St. Joseph know that someone needs assistance in the real estate market. It’s also important to have faith that the ritual is going to be successful.
There are also other prayers that are said to help sell a house, and they can be used to supplement the St Joseph’s prayer.
Psalms to Evoke the Higher Powers
The book of Psalms was written by King David, a man well known for his real estate prosperity. There are different prayers to be said on different days of the month, and the proper psalm for a day can be found online. Fortunately, there are also psalms specifically dedicated to becoming prosperous. Chapter 18 is the Psalm that results in miracles being worked on the reader’s behalf. The sixth verse mentions the lord hearing the prayers and moving heaven and earth to answer the prayers. Chapter 81 is also good for those needing help selling a house.
The AME church has a saying “If you’re going to pray don’t worry and if you’re going to worry don’t pray.” This means you need to have faith that the prayer is going to work before you bury the statue. In the book of Mark, Peter walked on the water with Jesus until he doubted, so have faith that your prayers will be answered and miracles can happen. Perhaps this is how the ritual aids people in selling their homes, because the additional faith provides a boost in confidence. It’s also important to remain proactive in your house selling efforts. Praying won’t do much without action and faith without work is dead. Saying the prayer and filling out the form below demonstrates both faith and the initiative, and we buy houses from people needing a miracle.
Have a Distressed Real Estate Expert Take a Look at Your Case
Enter your information to get a complimentary case analysis
A few months ago someone asked for prayers for selling their home. After praying for the person another lady who was standing close by and heard the request said that she was a realtor and advised the individual to bury the statue of Saint Joseph in the front yard and that would cause the house to be sold quite fast.
Have you heard of this before?
Apparently, there are realtors who keep a stock of St. Joseph statues solely for the purpose of selling the house of their clients! They dig a hole in the yard of the house and bury the statue as some kind of good luck charm to sell the house.
Let me first say that this is not biblical. There is no scripture in the bible that supports burying anything to get God to do anything for you. If you have this scripture, please feel free to leave it in the comments below. This sounds more like witchcraft than it does something that is coming from the Almighty God! To be clear, the St. Joseph in reference is the husband of Mary. Here is what Wikipedia has to say about this click here
When you are trying to sell your house you must first ask yourself a few questions.
1. Why is my home for sale? Did God direct me to do this?
2. Is my home reasonably priced or am I being greedy?
3. Is my house properly staged and does it look presentable so that someone would want to buy it?
4. Do I have a good realtor? The truth is sometimes it’s just best to stay away from family members or someone who just got their license and wants to practice on you!
You see, if God wants you to sell that house and move then you will sell the house really fast. You’re not going to need to worry about the economy because God is bigger than that! He can sell your house when no one else’s house is selling. So there is absolutely no need for you to have any fear that it will not sell.
(2 Timothy 1:7) “For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.”
You also can’t be too greedy expecting the buyer of your home to pay more than what is a reasonable asking price. You need to do your home work and know what the comps are in your area. What is the home worth?
(Leviticus 25:14) “‘If you sell land to any of your own people or buy land from them, do not take advantage of each other.”
Yes! We all want the wonderful testimony of how God blessed us in the sale of our home and we made so much money doing it BUT this should never be at the expense of taking advantage of someone else. God is watching and this will not be pleasing to Him. The money you made from being dishonest in that deal will be taken from you in so many other ways. It’s just not worth it. Be honest.
You want to make sure that your house is staged properly for a sale. Bottom line, clean your house! This is a simple thing but the truth is that most people neglect to consider that just by clearing away clutter and organizing their home, the sale can be quite quick. If you have animals try to make sure your house doesn’t smell like the animal. If you’re so accustomed to this, then ask a friend to tell you honestly how your house looks and smells. Invest in some plugins or something to clean the air and make your home pleasant. It’s these little things that can make a big difference especially if you don’t have the money to paint or do other major repairs.
Do some research online about staging your home for sale and make sure to do all that you can to be ready for your buyer.
Find a realtor that has experience selling your type of house. The price range, the area and has a track record for selling homes. It seems that everybody these days has a real estate license. This doesn’t mean that you should make yourself the guinea pig! Just because your family member has a real estate license doesn’t mean they should be selling your home. If they are good at what they do, that’s fine. Or if God told you to give them the listing. You need to pray about this as well. Use wisdom.
Please keep this very important point in mind, you are only selling your house to one person. All you need is just one person. You don’t have to worry about ratios of how many people need to look at your house before it is sold. You just need one. God can provide that one person for you with the first person that walks through the door.
So here are the prayers that you will need to get your house sold.
Praying to find a realtor
Heavenly Father, in obedience to you I am ready to sell my house. Thank you for leading me to this point. Guide me to finding the right realtor for this decision. Direct my steps to the real estate agent that you wish to bless with my listing. I pray that you will continue to build them up in wisdom, understanding and knowledge to list my house, give me good directions and finding the right buyer, in your name Jesus I pray, Amen!
Now it’s time to pray for your buyer
Prayer for the buyer of my house
Lord God, I pray for the buyer that you have for my house. Wherever they are right now Lord please begin to remove every obstacle that would prevent them from seeing my home. Guide them here. Give them the desire to want to live in my area. Provide the financing they need to qualify to purchase this home at my asking price. Get them pre approved and ready to close very quickly. Bless them financially and prepare their hearts to care for this home as much as I cared for it. In Jesus Name, Amen.
And, here is the final prayer which is one for you to sell your home
Prayer to Sell my home
Father God, thank you for blessing me with this home. Thank you for the enjoyment that I received from it for the years that I have lived here. Show me what I need to do to prepare it for sale. I pray that my house will sell very fast. I will not have any fear in my heart because I know that you have the right buyer lined up to purchase it. I pray that you will grant me grace to be honest and not greedy in what I am asking. I know that I only need one buyer and I ask that you will send them quickly. I promise to tithe on the increase that you will bring from this sale and to honor you in this business dealings. I also pray for the new place where you will be taking me. That you will have it prepared for me that i will find much joy and peace in that new home, in Jesus Name, Amen.
We know that God will do an amazing thing in selling your home fast. Remember, you don’t need any st. Joseph statues to sell your house you just need to pray, believe God and know that He will grant you the desires of your heart.
Here are some more prayers and bible verses for you:
Prayer of Faith
Prayer for Wisdom
Proverbs 23: 17-19 The Prayer of Expectation
Joshua 1:8 – Prayer For Success and Prosperity
Part 1 Bury the Statue
- Buy a statue of Saint Joseph.
Choose a small, simple statue so that the burial will be easier to perform. You can by saint statues at Catholic supply stores and online.
- The ideal height is between 3 and 4 inches (7.6 and 10 cm).
- Nowadays, you can even buy a St. Joseph “home selling kit” from retailers and some real estate offices. These kits usually come with a small statue of St. Joseph, a prayer card, and instructions on the practice.
- Wrap the statue in protective cloth.
Take a soft, clean washcloth or similar material and wrap it around the statue several time, covering all sides, including the top and bottom. Consider placing the wrapped statue in a resealable plastic bag, as well.
- You could also wrap the statue in plastic wrap or place it directly in the plastic bag without first wrapping it in a cloth. The idea is simply to protect it from as much dirt and damage as possible.
- Wrapping the statue is a matter of practicality, but more importantly, it is also a sign of respect. Even though you are burying his statue, St. Joseph is still a saint, so you should demonstrate a certain degree of respect for his likeness.
- Bury the statue.
Dig a hole in your yard that is deep enough to fit the entire statue. Place the wrapped statue inside, then fill the rest of the hole in with dirt. Note that any specifics concerning the exact placement of the statue vary depending on who you ask, so there is no one definitive choice.
- The most common tradition holds that you should bury the statue near the “For Sale” sign or near the road. Place the statue inside the hole upside-down and facing your house.
- Others insist that the statue should face the road to symbolize the act of leaving the home.
- Some traditions also suggest placing the statue right side up or lying on its back, pointing toward the house like an arrow.
- You could also consider placing the statue 3 feet (1 m) away from the rear of the house or in your rear yard flower bed.
- Consider burying the statue in a flower pot.
If you live in an apartment or a condominium, you may not have a yard that you can bury the statue in. Under these circumstances, you should bury the statue in a large flower pot. Place the flower pot on a deck, patio, or windowsill.
- The flower pot can have something growing in it, but this is not a strict necessity.
- Note that the rest of the tradition stays the same. You should still wrap the statue in protective cloth and treat it with the same degree of reverence.
- Consider keeping the statue in your home.
If the thought of burying a statue of St. Joseph seems disrespectful to you, consider placing the statue in your home, instead. Set the statue down in a window or on a counter in clear sight of the “For Sale” sign in your yard.
- When doing this, you do not need to wrap the statue in protective cloth.
- Burying the statue is a matter of tradition, not doctrine. There is no Catholic doctrine stating that burying a statue of St. Joseph will help you sell your house. Church teachings do suggest that calling for St. Joseph’s intercession when selling your home can help, though, which is why keeping a statue of St. Joseph in your home during the sale would likely work just as well as burying the statue.
Part 2 Say a Prayer
- Pray upon burial.
As soon as you bury the statue, you should say a prayer to St. Joseph, asking for his intercession. The exact prayer can vary, and you can go with a pre-written prayer or a prayer from your own heart.
- Some prayers “threaten” St. Joseph, essentially stating that he should sell your home for you if he wants to get out of the ground. These prayers somewhat undermine the value of asking for intercession, however, so they are generally not preferred.
- Consider using a simple, humble prayer, like the following:
- “O Blessed St. Joseph, tenderhearted father, faithful guardian of Jesus, chaste spouse of the Mother of God, I pray you to join with me in praising God the Father through his divine Son who died on the cross and rose again to give us sinners new life. Through the holy name of Jesus, pray that we may obtain from the eternal Father the favor we ask for: our home sale. We have been unfaithful to the unfailing love of God the Father; beg of Jesus mercy for us his brothers and sisters. Amid the splendors of God’s loving presence, do not forget the sorrows of whose who weep. By your prayers and those of your most holy spouse, our blessed Lady, may the love of Jesus answer our call of confident hope. Amen.”
Say a prayer each day until the house sells. While saying a single prayer at the time of burial is good, repeating a prayer for intercession each day from that point on demonstrates a greater degree of faith and earnestness. You can say the same prayer each day or offer a different one.
- Try a nine-day novena.
Instead of saying a standard prayer each day, you could try saying a novena. A novena is a set of prayers recited over the course of nine days. There are different variations, but essentially, you say a different prayer each day and follow each prayer with an “Our Father.” Consider using the following novena:
- Day One: O God, guide of those who listen and helper of those who hear your voice, speak to me, as you did to St. Joseph, and help me accomplish the things you give me to do.
- Day Two: O God, you love your people and bless the ordinary lives we quietly live. As you blessed St. Joseph, bless what I do, however hidden and simple it may be, and let all I do be done with love.
- Day Three: O God, ever faithful, you remember us always and in time reveal your blessings. Help me trust in you, as St. Joseph faithfully trusted, and never let me lose faith in the wonderful gifts you promise me.
- Day Four: God of families, bless the family that’s mine. Keep us safe from harm, and never let evil come between us. Let peace remain in our hearts.
- Day Five: O God, who loves children, be kind to our children today. Give them eyes of faith for seeing far, a loving heart for welcoming life, and a place always at your side.
- Day Six: God of our heavenly home, bless our home on earth. Let the spirit of Mary and Joseph rest at our table, shape our words and actions, and bring blessing to our children.
- Day Seven: God, our Father, give your fatherly spirit to those who are fathers now. Like Joseph, give them hearts of devoted love for their wives and children and strength for forgiveness and patience.
- Day Eight: Give shelter, O God, to those who need it, and bring together families divided. Give us enough to eat, and decent work to earn our bread. Care for us, O God.
- Day 9: Bless all families, O Lord, especially those in need. Remembering the life of your Son, we pray for the poor, for those who lack a good home, for those in exile. Grant them a protector like Joseph, O God.
Part 3 Free the Statue
- Dig up the statue when your house sells.
As soon as the contract is signed and the final details are in order, remove the statue from its place in your yard. Unwrap the protective cloth and wash away any dirt that managed to get on the statue itself.
- According to legend, if you leave the statue in the yard, the new owners of the house will not be able to stay there for a long time. New owners will come and go until the statue is finally removed.
- While there may not be any proof to back this legend, removing the statue should at least be done as a sign of respect.
- Give thanks.
Offer a prayer of thanks—first to God, and then to St. Joseph for his intercession. You can offer a prayer from your heart and in your own words, or you could say a generic pre-written prayer of thanks. Either way, the important thing is to pray with sincerity.
- An example prayer of thanks would be:
- “Heavenly Father, I thank you for my life and everything you have bestowed upon me and upon all people, this day and every day. I thank you for the good and bad, the understanding of forgiveness, and your holy power, without which we would have nothing. I thank you this day for all your blessings, your gifts, your never ending love for us. Although we all are sinners, I ask you to forgive me every day for what I might have done wrong, that I might not have noticed. Even though we all come short of the glory of God, I thank you for the sacrifice of your only son Jesus Christ for all our sins. You and only you know us Father and you know if our hearts are true. So once again, I thank you with all my heart and soul. In the name of Christ I pray. Amen.”
- An example prayer of thanks would be:
- Display the statue in a place of honor in your new home.
Since intercession to St. Joseph helped you sell your home, it is customary to display the statue you buried in your new home. Doing so demonstrates gratitude and reverence.
- The display does not need to be anything fancy. Simply sitting the statue on your mantel or desk will suffice.
Add New Question
Does the statue need to be blessed when I’m burying it?
I have not read anything that says the statue needs to be blessed. All instructions do recommend to say a prayer to St. Joseph at the time of burying the statue.
Does the seller have to be the one to bury St. Joseph?
Yes, traditionally, the seller should be the one to bury the statue.
Can you take it with you if you move?
Absolutely, you should! Be sure to place him is a position of honor somewhere in the new home.
I recently sold my house. I want to send a thank you donation. Where do I send it?
Choose a Catholic organization or church in your area.
Do I have to be Catholic for this to work?
It’s not necessary to be Catholic. You may be a Christian who believes in the holy family (Jesus, Mary and Joseph), and the Trinity of the Faithful.
I am a Jew. Will this work for me?
Yes, this will work for anyone who believes in the power of prayer.
Why hasn’t St. Joseph answered my prayers yet?
God isn’t a vending machine. Pray and leave the results up to Him. He hears you and will give you what you really need.
Can I bury it at the house I want to buy?
No. Digging a hole in a stranger’s yard to bury it is highly frowned upon.
We found a St. Joseph statute left by a prior owner. Should we sell our home?
No. Just clean him off and place him in a position of honor in the home. Pray and express your gratitude to God for blessing your home and family.
Should St Joseph be buried by the For Sale sign or close to the front door?
The answer to this depends on who you ask. It makes sense to have it near the sale sign unless it’s not near your house.
Show more answers
Is it okay to bury more than one statue since recommendations of location vary?
I understood he should be upside down facing away from your home
If the house doesn’t sell and is delisted, should I dig up the statue and rebury it?
Can I sell a house for someone else?
What prayers are needed to honor or bury St. Joseph?
Show more unanswered questions
Ask a Question
200 characters left
Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered.
- Believe. Burying a statue of St. Joseph should be done as an act of faith, rather than as an act of superstition or good luck. Act in sincerity, pray in earnest, and believe that the help you are asking for will come your way.
Things You’ll Need
Statue or St. Joseph OR St. Joseph home selling kit
Resealable plastic bag
Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 355,302 times.
Did this article help you?