Mercies.. Mercies… Mercies… I Pray Traveling Mercies for as many as are going on a journey. Hmmm…
Do you need to do the same and you want some wishes and prayers to help? Then look no further because this page will give all you need to send to your friend, lover or loved ones on a journey.
1. Have A Smooth Journey
Your journey shall be as smooth as though you were flying on angel’s wings.
You will not experience any casualty no matter how small it is.
2. Enjoy Your Trip
Every bit of the journey shall be enjoyable to you.
You will have a smooth take-off, a good journey and a great landing
Table of contents
Smooth Traveling Quotes
Use these as Smooth Traveling Quotes for someone so special to you.
3. I Wish You Journey Mercy
Mercy shall go before you as you make your journey.
Favour shall come behind. And the canopy of God shall shield you from above in Jesus name.
Traveling Mercies Quotes
The Best Collection of Traveling Mercies Quotes for Your Loved Ones or Lover. Enjoy them.
4. Have A Stress-free Trip
Things shall be divinely positioned for your benefit as you go today.
You will be strengthened from within and stress will lay no hold on you.
5. Mercy Shall Speak For You
Every plan of the wicked concerning your journey has been cancelled by the Mercy of Jesus.
I declare the road safe for you in Jesus name.
6. The Best is Coming
Beyond you heart desires
Beyond your countless prayers
Beyond your sure connections
I wish the best come your way.
Safe Journey in His Mercies, dear.
Prayer for Safe Journey Mercies
Sometimes, all you will have to give your loves one or lover on a journey is Prayers fro Safe Journey Mercies.
7. My Prayer of Mercies for You
I pray all the evils on the way will give way to you because you are covenanted upon long life and prosperity. You shall go safely and be back safely. Safe journey to you.
130 Have a Safe Flight Quotes for Someone Special
Awesome Travelling Mercies Prayers
1. May your journey be accident-free, free of attacks from robbers, kidnappers and ritualists.
You are safe under the wings of our Lord.
Take Care of you for me.
Journey mercies, dear.
2. If I had known you’d be travelling, earlier, I would’ve packed my bags too.
Yeah! That’s how much I’ll miss you.
However, I pray that the Lord grant you journey mercies and keep your routes accident-free. Have a safe trip, my dear.
3. I’m missing you Already, my dear.
I pray for a danger-free journey,
Lots of love and favour from men when you get to your destination.
God’s got you in the hollow of His palm.
May He grant you journey mercies.
4. I would have paid you a visit if I had known your Trip would be so soon.
I hope you have a stress-free journey.
Make sure you buy a lot of goodies on your way back.
Safe trip, sweetness.
You’ll be greatly missed.
5. You know, the One who watches us neither sleeps nor slumbers.
I know this is a pretty long journey you want to embark on, but the Lord is with you. He’s got you…
You have my love and prayers and well wishes, my dear.
Be calm and don’t fret.
God will grant you a safe trip.
6. In all your endeavours, throughout your stay, day and night, good or bad weather, may the hand of the Lord continually support you and may He grant you journey mercies. Stay safe, my dear.
7. All your life, whatever you lay your hands on, in all seasons, at all times, may God’s protection never leave you. And on the journey, may God keep you safe. Journey mercies, darling.
8. God is the only one we put our hope in as regards your journey, and you know, He never fails. God would forsake you, so dear, do not be scared. Have a safe trip.
50 Safe Journey Wishes for Friend Travelling
9. May God keep you, May His hand and strength be upon the driver. Rely on God and cast your worries on Him. This is going to be a safe trip.
10. May you never encounter any danger. You’re going with all your body parts intact, you won’t return half-bodied. Every of the Lord’s promises shall be fulfilled. Have a safe trip.
11. May God clear all dangers on your route and may you find favour. You will come back safe, just as you have left. Have a safe trip.
12. As you embark on this trip with a sound health, May you not come back indisposed. You will encounter no dangerous scheme of the devil on your journey. Take care, dear.
13. May God’s peace be with you and even with the one who will drive. Do not fret. The Lord is faithful and He will keep you safe. This would be a fruitful journey
14. Wherever you find yourself, at any given time, all days of your stay, May God continually protect you. And on your journey, you will encounter no evil. Have a safe trip, my dear.
15. I know you are scared because many have lost their lives on that route. But, remember, you are of God and He’s got you. So this will be a safe trip, dear. Take care of you.
16. I’m sure you will have cause to testify on your return because I know, for sure that God will grant you journey mercies. It is well with you, my dear. Stay safe
17. May all times and seasons never be in your odds. You’ll be highly favoured. You will go and come back in peace in Jesus name. Have a safe trip, dear.
120 Bon Voyage Quotes for Friends, Lovers & Loved Ones
18. On this trip, I commit you into God’s hands. No danger will fall on your path and your journey shall be a safe one. Take good care of yourself, darling.
19. God will sustain and protect you. Your journey to and fro will be according to God’s leading
May He grant you journey mercies.
20. May the eyes and hands of all who will see and touch you not be against you. Your journey will be a safe one, my dear.
21. This journey will not be the last or lost one for you. And even unfolding events that will cause you to travel will be better than this. Take care of you.
22. Our only trust for a safe trip is in God and He never disappoints. Do not be afraid, dear. God will never leave you. Journey well
23. May the Almighty keep you safe with Him. His banner over you is love, my dear. He won’t fail you. Do have a safe trip and get those things we talked about on your way back. Love you always
24. May the weather be in your favour, my dear. You will come back in peace and a better person than you were. His mercies will never leave you. Journey well, dear. You’ll be missed.
25. God himself will guide you. He will be your protector and sustainer. You will not experience any danger on your journey, to and fro. Journey mercies, dear.
26. May God’s protection be on you and may you be favoured by everyone you meet. This will be a safe trip, darling. I look forward to your return as I’m missing as I’m missing you already. Be safe.
27. While there, do not forget the child of whom you are. Always put God first. And the journey? Be rest assured, it will be a safe one. Stay safe, dear.
28. Hi dear. I heard you were scared of going on this trip. Smiles. You’re God’s child and shouldn’t be. He would keep you safe, you know. Do take care of you. Journey mercies, dear.
29. Hello darling. I had a good laugh when I heard you were afraid of embarking on this long journey. You needn’t be. God’s got you always. Stay safe, my darling.
30. May the hand of God be on you. You would go safely and come back safe too. God’s grace will continually abide with you. Journey mercies, honey.
31. I’m sure your bags are packed already. Smiles. This will be fun and of course, Journey mercies are granted to those who fear the Lord. So, don’t worry. God’s got you, dear.
50 Bible Verses for Safe Travels (Scriptures for Safe Travel)
32. He’s with you day and night. Our God never sleeps. So be calm, dear. Stay safe, avoid trouble and troublemakers, and fulfil your purpose for this trip. Have a safe journey.
33. I never knew there would come a time when we would be apart, but this is for good. God’s blessings on you, dear. Stay safe and get me things on your way back. Love you.
34. I have always doubted that there would be a moment when we would be away from each other. But this is for a favourable course. God’s hands will be on you and keep you safe. Journey well, honey!
35. I sincerely hope that you have lots of memories to share with us when you get back. We miss you already. Don’t forget to put God first. We love you.
36. I know that the purpose of this journey will be fulfilled and God’s protection will abide with you. Drive safely, dear and take care of you. Stay strong!
37. I was glad when I learnt of your trip. You honestly need the break. And make sure you rest well over there. Do take care of you.
38. I’m sure you would have an amazing time. But don’t have all of the fun. Smiles. The Lord be with you, dear. Take care of yourself.
39. Drive carefully, fasten your seatbelt. Pray to God and cast your worries on Him. This will be a safe trip, dear. Stay strong, dear.
How to Wish Someone a Good Trip (Complete Guide)
40. May the Good Lord keep you safe. May you encounter no evil. The Lord is your shepherd. Stay safe, honey. Eat at the right time too. You will be missed.
41. From the moment you begin this journey till whenever you get back, you will have no cause to be sad. God will definitely be with you, wherever you go. Take care of yourself, dear.
42. I got wind of your plans to travel rather too late. I would have planned to come along. I’m missing you already as it is. Take care of you, darling. Be sure to get me those things you promised. Love you.
43. I’m really not pleased with you. You have failed to take me along on yet another trip. Smiles. Make sure you rest well. God’s journey mercies are sure. Take care of you.
44. Hey darling. Heard you were scared of the trip. Be calm. God’s got you. This will be a safe trip. Stay safe and sound, darling.
45. Wow! Heard of your trip. God will grant you journey mercies, dear. Don’t you dare come back empty handed. Stay sound, honey. God’s blessings, always.
46. Do let me know when you will be back. I’d love to pick you up at the park. This will be a safe trip, dear. Our God is faithful. Do rest well and steer clear of any kind of trouble. Lots of love.
47. Oh dear! Your shy self is going on yet another trip. I can guess how scared you are. And like I always tell you, God never forsakes his own. This will be a safe trip like others had been. Be strong, dear. It is well.
48. God’s blessings, unending favours, tender mercies and unconditional love will be with you, all days of your stay. No evil will be recorded about this trip. Journey well, my dear.
49. Do not forget that the purpose of this trip is for your good. You need the break. And you needn’t worry about your safety. God’s in control, always. Rest well, honey!
50. How is it that I’m missing you when you haven’t even embarked on the journey? That’s how special you are, my dear. May God Almighty grant you journey mercies. His hand will be on you and you will do exploits. You’re safe with God. Stay strong, darling.
51. May this trip be danger-free and may the Lord keep you safe all day of your stay. Stay calm dear and do have a pleasant trip.
52. May God’s hands be on you and may He keep you safe from all dangers you are likely to encounter. Have a safe trip.
53. Hi darling. I recently got wind of your trip. I pray the Lord keep you safe and sound, dear. Do take care of yourself.
54. We trust God for a harmless journey and He won’t fail. Do not be fearful, darling. God will not forsake you. Have a secure trip.
55. On every route, may you encounter no harm. Favor and joy will be your lot. You’ll get back to us safe and sound. Stay safe, honey.
56. May you not come back to us in failing health, even as you go safe and sound. No weapon formed against you shall prosper.
57. Our God is everywhere and He will definitely be with you, even as you embark on this trip. Do take care of you.
58. Oh well! You finally decided to have the much-needed break. Good of you, dear. This will be a safe trip, no doubt. God’s got you.
59. The goodness of the Lord, His unfailing mercies and kindness will rest upon you, all days of your stay and beyond. Do have a safe journey.
60. If I had realized earlier that your trip would be this soon, I would have come visiting. Take care of yourself, dear. Journey mercies.
61. You have my warm greetings and love, dear. Do not be apprehensive. God will grant you journey mercies.
62. Throughout your stay, whatever you lay your hands on shall prosper and the purpose of this trip will be established. Journey well, dear.
63. May all form of evil on your path be cleared in Jesus name. Do not be alarmed, dear. This is a safe trip.
64. As long as God lives, you will encounter no trouble on your way. You will go and come back safe. May God grant you journey mercies.
65. Hi honey! I heard of your trip from a mutual friend. I’m surprised you didn’t tell me. Smiles. May God keep you safe and your route, accident-free. Take care.
66. The sun shall not smite you by day nor moon by night. The Lord’s hand will be on you, now and forever. Take care of you.
67. Hey dear! Packed bags? Have you gotten all that you’ll need? I’m sure you have, already. Journey well, dear. Stay safe.
68. God himself will direct and guide your path. All forms of danger are cleared. Journey mercies, dear.
69. How have you been, dear. I heard you are leaving, tomorrow. I’ll remember you in my prayers, dear. Stay safe and take care of you. Journey mercies.
70. You will come back in one piece. There would be no cause to mourn over you. Journey mercies, dear.
Long Traveling Mercies Prayers
71. Oh Lord Almighty, I pray for this friend who wants to embark on a very long journey. I pray that you keep her safe from all forms of danger. May your hands go before her and clear all evil. May you guide her. Grant her journey mercies, Lord, in Jesus name.
72. Oh Father, harken to my voice and listen to my pleas. I pray you satisfy my darling friend with journey mercies. Let your outstretched arms work for her safety and give her directions in order for her to get to her destination in peace. Go before her in Jesus name.
73. Dear Lord, protect him, be his guide. Let your hand of protection rest upon him. May we have no cause to mourn him and this journey will not birth sorrow. So at his arrival, we shall have cause to glorify your name in Jesus name.
74. Dear friend, I pray that the Lord grants you journey mercies. May forms of accidents be cleared. May the angels assigned to guide you never be weary. May God strengthen you for the journey ahead in Jesus name. Have a good trip.
75. Hi dear. The Lord is good, all the time and He has granted you the opportunity of this trip. May this trip never turn sorrowful. The purpose of this trip will be established. The Lord will show you how faithful He is. Stay safe, dear.
76. Darling friend, even though many have died on a trip, we serve a living and faithful God who doesn’t forget His own. May He be your Guardian and protector. He will never forsake nor leave you to perish. He will be everywhere you go. Stay safe and strong.
77. Dear God Almighty, I pray that your tender mercies will go before my friend and keep her away from trouble. You, yourself, Lord will be her guide and we will have cause to glorify your Holy name in the name of Jesus I pray.
78. God all-powerful, I have a friend going on a journey. May you grant him a safe flight. I pray he will come back safe and sound, just the way he is leaving. May you never allow the plans of the devil triumph. And you will show yourself to be faithful and bring him back safely, Amen!
79. May you have cause to tell of how good God is on your return. May God’s protective eye never look away from you. The reason for this trip will be fulfilled and you’ll come back with testimonies. Do take care of yourself, dear. Always pray before going to bed. God’s got you.
80. My good friend, do not be fearful. The Lord himself will go before you. May His unfailing mercies speak for you. May you have no regrets about this trip. You are safe under the Lord’s wings. Journey mercies, dear and stay safe.
81. The Lord is our refuge and our protector. On this journey, you will meet with no evil. The peace of the Lord will be with you throughout your stay. May God be your strength and joy. And on the route, there would be no accidents in Jesus name, Amen.
82. May you remain happy because of the assurance that the Lord is going before you. May you feel His presence wherever you go and may you be safe and free from dangers. May journey mercies be your lot. You will not perish in Jesus name, Amen!
83. The Lord God Almighty is The Rock we rely on and He never lets his own down. He will lift your head in glory and keep you safe from any form of accident. You’re highly favoured and His hand is upon you. Do have a safe journey.
84. Almighty God, I pray for this friend of mine. Lift her up, keep her safe, make your presence known. Let her have no cause to say ‘there is no God’. Take all evil off her path. May she meet us in peace when she’s back, in Jesus name.
85. Dear God, the maker of the universe. You know all paths well, of course, you made them. And you know the route my friend will take. Dear God, go before her and still every storm. Make a way where it seems there is none. So, all glory will be yours, in Jesus name.
86. Dear God, may the reason for the trip of this friend be fulfilled. May you watch over her and never look away. May your protective eyes and arms never leave her.
Go ahead of her, in Jesus name, Amen!
87. Almighty God, ruler of the universe. I commit my friend and his journey into your able hands because you alone know the end of anything even at its inception. Lord Jesus, please keep him safe in the hollow of your hands. Do not forsake him and grant him a trouble-free journey. In Jesus name, Amen!
88. Almighty Father, king of heaven and earth. I pray for my friend, that from the beginning to the end of this trip, there shall be no bad record. Your mighty hand will go before her. Thank you, Lord, in Jesus name, Amen.
89. Dear God, our father in heaven and only trust. We rely on you in a moment like this. Do as you have always done. The journey of this friend of mine, to and fro shall birth joy. No weapon fashioned against her shall prosper and you will keep her safe. Thank you, Heavenly Father, in Jesus name.
90. May the Lord prosper your ways. This journey will not lead to your death or lead to accidents. You will come back in one piece. The Lord will strengthen you and be like with you, all through your stay. May regrets never be your lot. Take care of you, darling and have a pleasant journey.
91. The face of the Lord will continually shine on you. May the Lord prosper your ways. May His hand be on the driver. May there be no accidents. God will go before you. His mighty hand will be on you. You will encounter no trouble. Safe trip, my dear.
92. Dear God, we thank you for all that you have done. We leave this trip into your hands, Lord. Take control. Guide, protect and sustain. Be with her, uphold her, strengthen her, Lord. So, on her return, we’ll have cause to praise you in Jesus name. Amen!
93. Heavenly Father, in you alone, I put my trust. I leave my friends in your hands.
You’ve been our protector and we know you will not disappoint us. We pray for a smooth journey. Grant her and mercies. Keep her safe in Jesus name.
94. Oh Lord, whose glory fills the earth and who owns all power. I decree in the name of Jesus that, this journey my friend wants to embark on will not cause us to cry. That you, God will sustain and be with him all days of his stay. All odds will be in his favour in Jesus name, Amen!
95. If God had not been on our side, what would we be saying now. But He has kept us and He will keep us beyond this day. The Lord will be before you and make all crooked paths, straight. He will never let you down. His mercies will be sufficient for you. Have a safe trip, my darling.
96. The road and route will be in your favour. The wind will not go against you. All weather conditions will favour. You shall not return indisposed. Men will rise to favour. People will rise and call you blessed. So shall it be, in Jesus mighty name.
97. The Lord our shepherd will be with you. He will meet with all of your needs throughout your stay and you shall never lack. He will prosper your ways and lift up your head. People there will want to serve our God. You will come back with joy and happiness. Stay safe, dear.
98. He will prove Himself faithful by keeping you out of harm’s way. And because we believe in your name, Lord, we pray you work wonders. The journey will not birth any danger. Stay safe, dear. You carry God’s presence and He is with you, so do not fret. This will be a safe one without accidents. Take care of yourself.
99. Oh Lord, saviour of the universe. I pray that you save my friend from all evil schemes of the devil. Let your power be made known. Keep her safe on this trip, to and fro. We’ll serve you all days of our lives, Lord, in Jesus name.
100. Nothing is impossible with you, Lord and keeping my friend safe on this journey is something we believe you can do, Lord. May everything be in her favour. May she find favour before men, too. So all of the Glory will be yours, Lord Jesus. Thank you, Lord, in Jesus name, Amen!
- Written By Oluwashanu Mayowa.
Prayers for Traveling Mercies
As we leave our homes and step out on this beautiful day, we request protection and traveling mercies, on our way to work, on our way to school, on our way to an interview, to visit a loved one or even as we go out on vacation. Send your angels to guard with watchful eyes over us wherever we go.
Heavenly Father, we place our trust in you. All our fears and anxieties, we lay at your feet. Give us peace of mind and assurance that all will be well.
Luke 21:18 But not a hair of your head will perish.
Deuteronomy 28:6 You will be blessed when you come in and blessed when you go out.
Zechariah 2:5 And I myself will be a wall of fire around it,’ declares the LORD, ‘and I will be its glory within.’
Guide the hands of our drivers
Jehovah Rapha, guide our hands as we steer our vehicles on the roads. Guide the hands of the driver of the vehicles that are about to take us to our destination.
Whether it is by car, by bus, by train or even plane, Dear God, keep us safe from any accidents, danger or other harm. Give us a safe, smooth, untroubled journey.
Proverbs 3:23 Then you will go on your way in safety, and your foot will not stumble.
Psalm 91:4-5 He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day.
Jehovah Rapha, guide our hands as we steer our vehicles on the roads Click To Tweet
Protect our family as they travel
Reach us safely to our destination. Bless and protect our families, the people who travel with us daily, our co-workers as well as employers. Remove every obstacle that may try to deter their journey.
Cover them all under the precious blood of the Lamb. Guide them, Oh Lord, My God. Be present as we go on our way. In Jesus’ mighty name, I declare we are covered, protected and saved! Amen and Amen!
Psalm 112:7 He will have no fear of bad news; his heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD
Psalm 34:7 The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear him, and he delivers them.
Reach us safely to our destination and bless and protect our families and friends. Click To Tweet
Before Christians go on trips, they often ask for “traveling mercies.” What are these special prayers?
The New Testament books in general talk a lot about prayers and praying, and in the Acts of the Apostles and in Paul’s letters there are a number of references to trips and traveling. But rarely in the Bible are the two topics of prayer and travel intentionally combined as is the case with the Christianese expression “traveling mercies.”
Traveling mercies are prayers that are made for someone who is about to undertake a big journey. When the term first started being used in the late 19th century, it meant prayers for missionaries who were going on long journeys to remote parts of the world. When you think about it, the late 19th century probably wasn’t so very different from the 1st century in terms of the dangers of travel. Delays, thefts, illnesses, unexpected expenses—such misfortunes plague long-distance travelers of every age and every part of the world.
The term “traveling mercies” caught on and started showing up in print quite a bit in missionary magazines and other kinds of Christian publications during the early part of the 20th century. It wasn’t long before non-missionaries wanted these special prayers too. After all, why should ordinary lay people settle for just hedges of protection when they can have traveling mercies too? And so by the mid-20th century, the expression “traveling mercies” was being used by pretty much anyone who wanted prayer for an upcoming trip, whether the trip was specifically religious in nature or not. The special connection between traveling mercies and missionary work had become a relic of a bygone time.
traveling mercies n. ‹Prayer› See various senses.
The term arose in the late 19th century and was used at first almost exclusively of church workers who were on a long journey for the purpose of ministry work (see sense 1), but by the mid-20th century the term was being used in a general way of any Christians who were on a journey for any reason (see sense 2).
1. God’s blessings and protection on missionaries, preachers, and other church workers who are traveling to or from a place of ministry, usually at some distance.
• Sakurai Minutes of the Second Bienniel Convention of the World’s Woman’s Christian Temperance Union 17 : He has blessed me with traveling mercies and allowed me to come here to try to do something for him. The Interior XXV. 1721 : The Lord was good indeed, and gave us traveling mercies innumerable throughout our journeying in England, Scotland and the United States, and now we are thankful to be brought again in health and strength to our loved field of labor in the Holy City. The Advance XLV. 699 : She wrote of their comfortable journey while ships just before and after had suffered. This was spoken of as one of the “traveling mercies” which we often ask for our missionaries. The Nazarene Messenger XII. 64 : We had traveling mercies, and on arrival in this city were very warmly welcomed by the people of the Pentecostal Church of the Nazarene. We were made comfortable by the kindness of the saints in a home of our own. Presbyterian Mag. XVI. 558 : The missionary, thankful for traveling mercies, reached Mejdel warm and dry, being clad in a complete suit of rubber. YMCA Association Men XXXVI. 426 : Pray for the thousands of delegates now enroute to the Triennial International Sunday School Convention at San Francisco. For traveling mercies, open-mindedness, spiritual vision, and obedient wills. Missionary Voice III. 449 : Pray for traveling mercies for them and for a great outpouring of blessings upon Brazil. Missions: An International Baptist Mag. XIV. 346 : Bon voyage to the delegates and friends bound for the Old World. May God give to all traveling mercies and a safe return! Miller Patty Lou in the Wilds of Central America 12 : She finished by saying, “And as we start on the final lap of the journey, give us traveling mercies. Keep Thy hand over us every moment of the voyage as we sail across the Gulf of Panama into the San Miguel Gulf and up the Tuira River to our headquarters.” The Moravian vols. 99–101 171 : Our thanks as a church are due for traveling mercies accorded to them all. They can be assured of the prayers of many, especially in the case of those who now undertake missionary responsibility for the first time. Huss Robert G. Lee: The Authorized Biography 204 : All of the men took turns praying that their pastor would be afforded traveling mercies, that he would be mightily used of God, and that he return to them safely. Hunter My Love Affair with Charles 65 : Please remember to pray for God’s traveling mercies as we drive on Thanksgiving Day to Clearwater for the Youth Convention, and then pray that God will make me a blessing to all the youth who will be attending.
2. God’s blessings and protection on any people who are traveling.
They Did Not March Alone 2 : Then the two men in uniform, the enlisted man and the Chaplain stood for a short prayer, asking God to give the young soldier traveling mercies and to bless him and the bereaved loved ones back at home.
North Carolina State AFL-CIO
Proceedings of the Annual Convention 110 : We pray that you have your way in the rest of this convention here this afternoon and that we as delegates and visitors going to our respective homes, that You give us traveling mercies as we go on the highways, through the air or however we go, and may we arrive home safetly for we ask this in Jesus’ name. Amen.
The Fulfilled Woman 23 : Always pray for traveling mercies and ask God to make your husband a safe, alert driver.
Everyone Gets to Play (2007) 83 : I’ve been in hundreds of prayer meetings and have heard all kinds of prayers from prayers for traveling mercies to unspoken requests.
They Like Jesus But Not the Church: Insights from Emerging Generations 44 : We find ourselves regularly using Christian words and phrases and clichés, such as
prayer warrior ,
quiet time ,
traveling mercies .
Branded: Sharing Jesus with a Consumer Culture 97 : I’m not trying to pick on anyone, but “traveling mercies” is one of my favorite Christianese phrases. Instead of praying for a safe trip to grandma’s house, we say, “Please pray for traveling mercies as we visit family this weekend.”
Why Men Hate Going to Church 103 : Please pray traveling mercies for my son. He’s flying back to Harvard for the spring semester.
SHOULD WE PRAY FOR “SAFE TRIPS” AND “TRAVELING MERCIES?”
by Shawn Brasseaux
It is common to hear Christian people assemble to pray for “safe trips” and “traveling mercies.” What exactly are “traveling mercies” I have no idea, so please do not ask me. The term is meaningless. But, I remember many times as a young child that my family and I would pray before leaving in a vehicle. As instructed in church, we would ask God to keep us safe on our journeys. As a child, I was under the impression that, if we would not pray for God to protect us before we left home, we would get in an automobile accident while en route to our destination. Many years ago, once I came to understand the Bible dispensationally, I realized just how futile that sort of praying was. Us praying about safe trips had nothing to do with what God was doing today. Let me tell you what I mean.
If we look at the Apostle Paul’s epistles, Romans through Philemon, and we see how our apostle prayed, we find nothing about Christians praying for “safe journeys” and “traveling mercies.” Romans through Philemon contain four large model Pauline prayers—Ephesians 1:15-23, Ephesians 3:14-21, Philippians 1:9-11, and Colossians 1:9-10. These are specific prayers that Paul said on behalf of Christians in the Church the Body of Christ in the Dispensation of Grace. He said nothing about safe trips. However, he wrote plenty about dangerous trips.
Led by the Holy Spirit, Paul himself confessed that he had many hazardous journeys, trips that involved him being robbed, beaten, imprisoned, shipwrecked, destitute of shelter and food, and so on. In fact, there is language that Paul was killed (and God raised him) on a few occasions. We read in 2 Corinthians 11:23-27: “ Are they ministers of Christ? (I speak as a fool) I am more; in labours more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequent, in deaths oft. Of the Jews five times received I forty stripes save one. Thrice was I beaten with rods, once was I stoned, thrice I suffered shipwreck, a night and a day I have been in the deep; In journeyings often, in perils of waters, in perils of robbers, in perils by mine own countrymen, in perils by the heathen, in perils in the city, in perils in the wilderness, in perils in the sea, in perils among false brethren; In weariness and painfulness, in watchings often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness.” If anyone should have prayed for “safe trips” in the Bible, it should have been the Apostle Paul! And, yet, he wrote nothing about such prayers. He never prayed them and he never exhorted us to pray in that manner, either. What are we doing praying to avoid something our apostle faced? If God was able to enable our apostle to endure it, surely God can enable us to bear them, too.
SEALED WITH THAT HOLY SPIRIT OF PROMISE
In fact, if you are going to say that the Lord will give us safe travels, how exactly will He do this? Will He send angels? Well, the answer is no, because Paul never talks about guardian angels in the Dispensation of Grace. I remember some time ago, a woman claimed that angels had protected some of her family members in a very serious car wreck. They were injured, some severely, but not killed. Some spent months in painful recovery. That sounded very silly to me. If there were guardian angels, I would expect them to guard against all injury, and not guard merely against death! Why did the angels not manipulate the circumstances so as to avoid the auto accident altogether? The truth is, whether in the Bible, or confirmed in our circumstances, angels have no ministry to us. Why? Because God is doing something different today than what He with Israel and angels in time past!
Ephesians 1:12-14 says: “ That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, Which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory.”
The Bible says that we who have trusted the Lord Jesus Christ as our personal Saviour, we are “sealed with that holy Spirit of promise.” That word “sealed” is a preservation term. It denotes security. The Bible says in 2 Corinthians 1:21-22 that God the Father has “also sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts.” What security! The Holy Spirit has encompassed our inner man, our soul and our spirit, and marked us as His own. Why should we be praying for God to protect our outward man—our physical body—when this physical body will eventually grow sick, grow old, and die anyway? Our soul, which lasts forever, is much more important than our physical body. If we die in a car accident, so what! We will go to heaven and be with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:6-8).
SUPPLEMENTAL: YEAH, BUT WHAT ABOUT ROMANS 1:9-10?
Those who dislike dispensational Bible study look for any little verse or piece of a verse that proves their “safe trips and traveling mercies” persuasion. I have noticed that their favorite passage is Romans 1:9-10: “ For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I make mention of you always in my prayers; Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a prosperous journey by the will of God to come unto you.” Yet, they stop reading the passage right there. They do not continue reading verses so as to establish the context. (It sounds like someone has a denominational agenda to promote!!)
Here, we pause and ask, “What does Romans 1:10 actually say?” People are forcing Paul to write, “Making request, if by any means now at length I might have a safe journey by the will of God to come unto you.” But, that is not what the verse said in our King James Bible!!! Paul is praying for a “prosperous journey” not a “safe journey.” And just what does that expression “prosperous journey” mean? We do not have to wonder. We just read the next few verses and Paul will tell us!
“ For I long to see you, that I may impart unto you some spiritual gift, to the end ye may be established; That is, that I may be comforted together with you by the mutual faith both of you and me. Now I would not have you ignorant, brethren, that oftentimes I purposed to come unto you, (but was let hitherto,) that I might have some fruit among you also, even as among other Gentiles.”
As we can clearly see, the “prosperous journey” of verse 10 is not for Paul’s benefit. The Bible is saying that that “prosperous journey” is for the Romans’ benefit! The Romans will prosper here. Paul wants to teach the Roman believers some doctrine that will firmly fix their understanding in sound Bible doctrine. He wanted to “impart unto some spiritual gift.” He wanted to provide them with the same spiritual wisdom, spiritual knowledge, and spiritual understanding that he had. This is a far, far, far cry from Paul wanting to have a nice, sweet, carefree trip to Rome! (By the way, Paul did eventually arrive in Rome in Acts chapter 28—chapter 27 says he first experienced a storm at sea and then a shipwreck!)
» Should we pray for sick people?» What is Pauline prayer?» What does Romans 16:20 mean?