Family Prayer – Preservation
One of God’s highest priorities is preserving family relationships. God designed marriage (Genesis 2:18, 24) and the family to accomplish His purpose and to enrich our lives (Psalm 127:3). While technology has enhanced the quality of our businesses and allowed families to stay electronically accessible, it has also curtailed communication. With greater regularity, parents and their children distance themselves from one another emotionally and spiritually. Ultimately, in this era of cutting-edge communication, the family unit “mis-communicates” with God by omitting family prayers.
A family unit is established upon divine creation and Satan utilizes any circumstances that promote disputes and destruction within a relationship (Ephesians 4:26–27, 1 Peter 5:7–8). The majority of families rarely participate in activities together, directing their attention to the television or computer. In forfeiting dialogue with family members, parents and children lack unity from God through prayer.
Family Prayer – Privilege
We may recall the familiar child’s family prayer, “God is great, God is good. And we thank Him for this food.” As a child facing the probability of a “creature” hiding under my bed I prayed, “If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.” Some families may choose prearranged prayers or repetition, while others may prefer spontaneous, less structured prayers. In both cases, prayers are a privilege that require a commitment between parent and child as well as God. Including God in daily circumstances helps both child and parent to understand one another. With the freedom of praying together, families are partners, building strong spiritual foundations in their homes (1 Corinthians 3:9, 11).
Family prayers extend beyond meals and bedtime. Our needs extend beyond food and fears. Families should discuss and pray together on a variety of issues. By integrating a Bible verse(s) (Ephesians 6:1–3) with prayer, children can be encouraged to ask God to help them obey their parents. Parents show their obedience to God by respecting and honoring each other (1 Peter 3:7). Children experience security as they witness their parents praying for God’s help as well. As the mother seeks to please God in her prayers, God rewards her family (Proverbs 31:10–12, 28-29). As the father assumes his place as spiritual leader in the home, God blesses the family (Genesis 18:19). By example, their children will approach the Lord regularly as if they we were crawling up into a loving Father’s lap.
Family Prayer – Protection
In family prayer, it is important to remember that our Heavenly Father loves to talk with children and cares deeply about their problems. Knowing that He protects and rescues us from our fears provides invaluable peace and unity to a family. Praying together allows children to voice their concerns to both an earthly parent and their “Father, dear Father” (Romans 8:15) simultaneously. When our daughter was young, we read Romans 8:38–39 then prayed, thanking God for His love and asking Him to keep her safe as she began first grade. Years later, as our daughter headed off to college, our family prayers knitted us even closer, knowing God was faithful.
The benefits of family prayers impact the parents in dramatic ways. Unemployment can tear a marriage and family apart. When Dave lost his job of 8 years, he was shaken. The children began praying for their father before and after school. Dave and Christy shared their need for direction and resources with their children. Dave recalls, “There were days when I felt frustrated and my heart was restless. But then one of the children would put their hand on my shoulder and ask God to ‘help Daddy not to be sad and for some nice people to give our daddy a job.’” Dave shared how he felt his heart being guarded, even protected, whenever his family prayed with him. When that perfect job was provided, the whole family gave thanks and their children realized their vital part in praying (Philippians 4:6–7). Prayer plants a hedge of protection around families.
Family Prayer – Priority
Though family prayer is effective in strengthening members, it’s often difficult to find a specific prayer time. Parents approach family prayer with the best of intentions, only to find schedule conflicts. A parent may feel unqualified to lead in prayer, believing that they will appear ineffective communicating with God. So are there guidelines to establishing family prayer as priority each day?
- Talk about whatever is bothering you, no matter how small (1 Peter 5:7).
- Invite God to reveal His purposes, plans, and desires for your life (1 John 5:14–15).
- Make God the head of your home (Deuteronomy 6:5–9).
- Expect God to respond as you humble yourself before Him (Mark 11:22–25).
Family Prayers . . . all it takes is
T.I.M.E. Learn More About Prayer!
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
– We have all
and deserve God’s judgment.
, the Father, sent His only Son to satisfy that judgment for those who believe in Him.
, the creator and eternal Son of God, who lived a sinless life, loves us so much that He
for our sins, taking the punishment that we deserve, was
rose from the dead
according to the
. If you truly believe and trust this in your heart, receiving Jesus alone as your
, declaring, “
Jesus is Lord
,” you will be saved from
and spend eternity with God in heaven.
What is your response?
Yes, today I am deciding to follow JesusYes, I am already a follower of JesusI still have questions
Here, we have a prayer for family to ask for God’s help in strengthening a family’s bond. Sometimes, members of our families can be the cause of a lot of stress and worry.
Bring them closer to yourself, and God with this family prayer.
Table of contents
- 1 Prayer to Keep Family Together
- 2 Bible Verses about Family
- 3 Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer for Family”
- 4 Recent prayer requests…
- 5 Prayer for Family Unity
- 6 Prayer for Protection Over Family Members
- 7 Prayer for a Troubled Family Relationship
- 8 Prayer for Grandchildren
- 9 Prayer for Your Family’s Strength
- 10 Prayer for a Healthy Pregnancy
- 11 Verses:
Prayer to Keep Family Together
Say this prayer to help bring your family closer together. Make sure to say the names of any family member you want included in the prayer. Your husband (or wife), sons, daughters, father or mother.
Use this prayer, and write your own at the bottom of this page.
A Prayer for Family
Please shine your light upon my family.
Give us strength to overcome all of the
difficulties that we are dealing with now
and protect us against any and all problems
we may encounter in the future.
O Lord, please bring us together as we
are meant to be. May the love that binds
us only grow stronger as we fulfill the destiny
you have laid out for us.
Grant my family forgiveness for any sins we
have committed. May we also forgive one
another Lord, as it is sometimes difficult to do.
Bless us Lord,
In your name I pray, Amen
Bible Verses about Family
“For the unbelieving husband is made holy because of his wife, and the unbelieving wife is made holy because of her husband. Otherwise your children would be unclean, but as it is, they are holy.”
Check out what the bible has to say about family with these Bible Verses.
Family is an important part of one’s life, and is also very important to God. From Adam and Eve onward, God made humans to be together with love to guide and support one another. Through prayer we can make our families stronger.
Prayer Request: Post Your Own “A Prayer for Family”
If you’d like, you can post your prayer below so the PrayWithMe community can help pray with you.
Rules for Posting: All prayers are posted publicly through to this site. Don’t use full names or any other identifying information that you wouldn’t want out on the web.
Don’t post with ALL CAPS, and try to use proper spelling and grammar.
If you can, help pray for others and post comments of support.
Recent prayer requests…
Tap below to see prayers from other visitors to this site.
- Family to be blessed- For my daughter marriage to be performed..PL. Pray for my son .His health and .good . employment and his. Wife and son .PL pray for… …
- Healing and Restoration of my marriage and family- Father in the name of Jesus Thank you for healing my sister colon and removing the infection alone with removing her hernia Thank you for… …
- Prayer for fertility treatment to work- Dear Lord, this prayer is for my daughter and son in law as they go through fertility treatments this week. Please allow them to be… …
- Now he needs to undergo a very risky surgery- My 78 y/o Dad has a stage 4 lung and bone cancer. Now he needs to undergo a very risky surgery on his intestines but… …
- Lord please help- Lord, I thank you for all you’ve done for our family. I come to you on my hands and knees and ask for your guidance.… …
- Positive energy- Please pray to end my family’s depression and help us to find happiness and be more productive in life. Pray for us to create nothing… …
- Salvation- Please pray for salvation of children and grandchildren. Son Craig whose beliefs are in Buddhism along with Shannon and family and Terry who are being… …
- Step children- My step children are grown, and have nothing to do with me. They don’t acknowledge me at all. I just need peace with this. It… …
- Protection and wisdom- I pray that God’s protection surround our family right now. I feel we are under spiritual attack and it is destroying our hearts and minds.… …
- Pray for husband to pass his EE exam for his master degree- Please pray for my husband to pass his Electrical Engineer exam for his Master Degree. He had been working very hard for this while working… …
- Salvation- Prayer for my twins, Victor and Shawn, two grandchildren, Karsyn and Joel, my brother Edward and children. We need to move out of this environment.… …
- Protection and justice- Dear Jesus Please protect the lands that I have inherited from my parents from Buddhika. Please don’t ever let him assault us or threaten us… …
- Everything is Falling Apart- In 2011 we lost my stepdad to the horrific Mesothelioma lung cancer. My mom is 76 today and 3 weeks ago found out she has… …
- My Family- I pray for my Wife, my two daughters and myself to be protected from the influences and effects of evil forces and spirits and their… …
- Salvation- I would really appreciate your prayers for my son and daughters salvation their spouses and their children please. …
- Family- God help me. Everything is coming together. Now my fiancé wants to treat me badly. Leave me with no electric or water while he is… …
- Safe delivery, mother and child, and house movement- Believing God for safe delivery, mother and child will be safe, also trusting God to move houses by next month, with all needed in the… …
- Healing and deliverance- Praying for miraculous healing from the Lord for myself, mom and siblings. Also praying that the Lord should deliver my family from afflictions, persecution, divorce,… …
- Move on behalf of my daughters father- My daughters father will go in front of a judge tomorrow to lift a bond hold, we are just asking that the bond is granted… …
- Protect End bondage and Deliver from Homelessness- My family has been suffering from homelessness, being bound in custody and incarcerated for protecting their family and are in need of deliverance from poverty.… …
More prayers posted in: Family
Family Unity. It is a treasure to us all, and something very precious to each of us. The Lord blesses us with family members to lead, counsel, love and take care of, and in exchange, our family does the same for us. Praying for our family is something we should do daily. Whether someone you love needs God’s grace in a hard situation, or you simply want to bless his or her walk in life through our Lord Jesus Christ.
If the need for prayer and protection for your family and loved ones is what you are seeking most, whether in your own life, or in the life of someone you love, let us pray for you at the holiest place on earth, the Church of the Holy Sepulcher. We have faith that sending your prayer to the place where our Lord Jesus Christ gave his life for us will help your request be granted! It is our honor and privilege to be a prayer warrior for you, and to ask the Lord to watch over you, protect you, and keep you, always. Please submit your prayer request today.
They replied, “Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household.” Acts 16:31
Prayer for Family Unity
Lord, I want to thank You for this precious family of mine. For the talents and good things that You have given each of us. Please keep us united, and our bond strong as the days pass. Please guide us, protect us and equip us to do Your will each and every day. Thank You for all that You are, and all that You have given us. My heart is forever grateful!
Prayer for Protection Over Family Members
Lord, I ask for protection and safety over my spouse, my children, my parents, my family members and myself today. Please lead us with Your mighty hands today and always. Deliver us from any enemy and evil that try to hinder our way. Do not let the ways of the enemy blind our eyes. We know that You are for us, so that no one could ever stop us. Please watch over us and guide us all safely throughout this day, so that we may all arrive safely back home, Father. Amen.
Prayer for a Troubled Family Relationship
Heavenly Father, there is a war going on in the souls of many of my family members. I will not be silent about this, and I pray that you will look after them. I also come to you today to pray for the salvation of my family as well. Lord, may my family know You. I pray that they will learn to crave You just as I do. I pray that they will learn to stand strong in the face of trials and tribulations in life. When people knock them down, I pray that they stand up even stronger in You than ever before. I pray that they show love instead of revenge on those who do not agree with them. Give me strength to persevere through any troubles that come my way today. It is time to rise above the sin that comes at me and to that of my family members. It is in Your precious name I pray these things.
Prayer for Grandchildren
Heavenly Father, You have blessed me with precious grandchildren, and I am ever so grateful! I pray for these little souls, Lord. I also want to thank you for my own children. I have raised them up to praise You, and to look to You in all things. I lift up my grandchildren to You today, Lord. These little ones are precious gems in Your eyes, as well as in mine, and that of our family. Please watch over them each and every day. Keep them safe, and guide them in all that they do. I ask these things in Your precious name. Amen.
Prayer for Your Family’s Strength
Please shine your light upon my family today, Lord. Give us strength to overcome all of the difficulties that we are currently dealing with, and protect us against any and all problems we may encounter in future days. Lord, please bring us together as we are meant to be. May the love that binds us only grow stronger as we fulfill the path and desires You have laid out before each of us. Grant my family forgiveness for any sins we have committed against one another. Amen.
Prayer for a Healthy Pregnancy
Thank you Father for the little baby that is about to be born. Lord, I pray that You would protect this unborn child that is being knit together in his/her mother’s womb, and I pray Lord that You would give grace for a safe and healthy delivery at the right time.
May this baby grow up to know and love the Lord Jesus, which will make him/her wise unto salvation. I pray for Your protection and grace for this little baby who is shortly to take his/her place in this world, and I ask that he/she may grow in wisdom and understanding. Guard and protect both mother and child as the day for delivery draws ever closer, and keep them from all the perils and uncertainties in this journey. Amen.
“I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought.” 1 Corinthians 1:10
“How good and pleasant it is when God’s people live together in unity!” Psalm 133:1
“A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.” Proverbs 17:17