Prayers For Lost Loved Ones
The loss of a loved one can be one of the most painful parts of life. Grief and mourning come in many different stages and it is easy to let emotion consume you during these difficult times. However, it is important to keep God close to your heart instead of pushing Him away. Remember that you need God now more than ever and He wants you to be happy again despite the loss and heartbreak you may feel.
In addition to losing a loved one yourself, it is also difficult to know how to help someone else who has lost someone close. One way to comfort them is to pray to God that they find peace and comfort in their time of need. With the love and reassurance God can provide, it is possible to ease the pain of those who are hurting. These 10 prayers can help you and your friends or family to cope with the loss of a loved one by asking God to pay close attention to them so they are able to move on.
Updated on November 29, 2018
Source Bible Verses for Death of a Loved One
The loss of a loved one is already devastating for anyone. When the loss is unexpected, the pain is beyond words. I know this because three years ago, my 19-year-old daughter passed away after an auto accident. My world came crashing down and I was engulfed in a wrenching pain that can only be known by another parent who has lost a child.
In the future, I hope to write more about my daughter and what God has taught me and is still teaching me, about the comfort He has given me, and the peace that is inexplicable. At this point, I can only write on the surface and without detail, but I want to share some Bible verses that have been and continue to be an encouragement for me in hopes that some other grieving mom may be looking for the same comfort and assurance that I searched for in the months following my daughter’s accident. I hope these help you as well.
Source Bible Verses for the Passing of a Loved One
- Those who have been ransomed by the Lord will return. They will enter Jerusalem singing, crowned with everlasting joy. Sorrow and mourning will disappear, and they will be filled with joy and gladness.
- The young women will dance for joy, and the men—old and young—will join in the celebration. I will turn their mourning into joy. I will comfort them and exchange their sorrow for rejoicing.
- Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. There is more than enough room in my Father’s home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you? When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am. And you know the way to where I am going.
- I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
- Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began.
- Can anything ever separate us from Christ’s love? Does it mean he longer loves us if we have trouble or calamity, or are persecuted, or hungry, or destitute, or in danger, or threatened with death? … No, despite all these things, overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us. And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love. No power in the sky above or in the earth below. Indeed, nothing in all creation will ever be able to separate us from the love of God that is revealed in Christ Jesus our Lord.
- No eye has seen no ear has heard, and no mind has imagined what God has prepared for those who love him.
1 Corinthians 2:9b
- And God will raise us from the dead by his power, just as he raised our Lord from the dead.
1 Corinthians 6:14
- Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. And do everything with love.
1 Corinthians 16:13
- All praise to God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is our merciful Father and the source of all comfort.
2 Corinthians 1:3
- Through suffering, our bodies continue to share in the death of Jesus so that the life of Jesus may also be seen in our bodies.
2 Corinthians 4:10
- For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands.
2 Corinthians 5:1
- For we will put on heavenly bodies, we will not be spirits without bodies.
2 Corinthians 5:3
- We would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.
2 Corinthians 5:8b
- Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4: 6-7
- He heals the brokenhearted and bandages their wounds.
- And now, dear brothers and sisters, we want you to know what will happen to the believers who have died so you will not grieve like people who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and was raised to life again, we also believe that when Jesus returns, God will bring back with him the believers who have died.
1 Thessalonians 4:13-14
- So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold—though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.
1 Peter 1:6-7
- Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
- Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
- He will wipe every tear from their eyes, and there will be no more death or sorrow or crying or pain. All these things are gone forever.
- And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
- God blesses those who mourn, for they will be comforted.
- The Lord hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles. The Lord is close to the brokenhearted; he rescues those whose spirits are crushed.
- Good people pass away; the godly often die before their time. But no one seems to care or wonder why. No one seems to understand that God is protecting them from the evil to come. For those who follow godly paths
will rest in peace when they die.
- Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.
2 Corinthians 1:3-4
If you have a favorite verse that has helped you in times of trouble, please do share it in the comments!
For Those Who Are Suffering
During the worst days following my daughter’s accident, God surrounded me with people who had gone through what I was going through—both in person and online. In fact, some of the greatest comforts for me during that period came from strangers online who are now friends. If you are struggling now, please feel free to contact me. I don’t even begin to have answers, but I understand the pain and I will walk beside you and share your grief.
If you are the friend of someone who has lost a loved, please read my article on how to comfort a friend.
Table of contents
All quoted scriptures are from the New Living Translation.
Have you ever had a friend lost a loved one, probably a Husband, Wife child or close relative? It’s never easy as we cannot imagine the pain, emotional trauma and stress they’re going through at that moment. But as close friends, we ought to be there for them, comfort them and say kind words that’ll help them through that trying period. No matter how brief the statements we make at that moment to comfort them may be, it’s highly needed to keep them together, remind them that they’re not alone and that as their friend, you also share in their grief.
See Also: What To Say To Someone Who Is Dying
One of the most difficult things to do at such low moments is finding the right comforting words to tell them keeping their temperament and personalities in mind. It’s already sad that they lost a loved one, however, most people are uncomfortable with this situation as nobody would want to show up saying something that will make the person or family feel worse about the situation. Some people ramble when they’re nervous and therefore make mistakes in trying to comfort the bereaved.
For these reasons, we’ve taken time to compile a list of statements, phrases or sentences you can tell a friend when he or she is bereaved of a family member or lost a loved one. These words can be spoken at the funeral, sent via messages or written on a card to them.
See Also: Words Of Condolence: 100 Comforting Words of Condolence For a Loss
What to Say to Someone Who Just Lost a Loved One
There are no words to tell you how sorry I am. Please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers.
She brought so much joy to everyone around her she’ll surely be missed by many.
I’ll always remember _______ and how much he loved you and the rest of your family. I’m so sorry for your loss.
________ was very much loved by all. Her good works will never be forgotten and she now lives in our heart. I know she was your dearly loved one but we’ll all miss her too.
I am very sad to hear about this huge loss. I know she was a dearly loved one to you. If you feel like talking, I’m always here for you.
I wish I could rewind the hands of time and take away this moment forever; I wish I could take away your pain. Just know that you’re in my thoughts and I’m praying for comfort for you and your family.
I feel your pain, if there is anything I can do to help, please let me know.
________ was such a shining light in so many people’s life. We’ll all miss her terribly. Please know that I’ll be here for you if you ever need to talk.
At the news of her demise, my heart aches and hurts deeply. I can’t imagine enough your grief considering how dear she was to you. I’m so sorry.
He was loved by all, your loved one and everybody’s friend. I can’t believe that this moment is a reality. Accept my most sincere sympathy.
Also Read: What To Write In A Sympathy Card: 60 Condolence Messages
More things to Say to Someone Who Just Lost a Loved One
______was such a generous man. We’ll all miss him, but his legacy will live on through all great works he did.
I’ll miss her kind words and sweet smile. Please know that I’ll be praying for you and your family.
We share comfort in knowing he is no longer suffering. We send thoughts of sympathy and support to you as you begin your journey without him.
I know that she was well loved and respected. She had great character and a big heart.
I can’t imagine how you’re feeling right now and I won’t pretend to know the loss that you’re experiencing. Please know that you’re not alone and I’m just a phone call away. If you ever need any support or someone to talk to, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me.
Although there’s nothing I can do to change what happened, I’ll continue to offer you my love and support. Extending my most heartfelt condolences to you and your family.
Losing a loved one is totally heart breaking. I’m very sad he had to go. You have my warmest support, prayers and goodwill. Call me and I’ll be right there if you need anything please.
My deepest condolences to you and your family during this dark time. Please know that our family is keeping you and yours in our prayers and thoughts.
May all the sweet memories of ________bring you solace during this time. I hope that all the great moments that you were able to have with him/her before she/he passed away brings you comfort.
Please know that you’re in my thoughts and prayers. My sincerest condolences for an incredibly great loss.
Still Thinking of What to say in Different scenarios, take a look at these articles below
What To Say To Someone Who Is Depressed
What To Say To Someone With Cancer
80 Weird Things To Say To People To Get Them Really Thinking Hard
100 Random Things To Say To Anyone Around You
“Dear Lord, I pray for ___________ who have lost their son/daughter. I ask that you would fill them with a deep sense of your peace and grace. I ask that you would surround them with your love and hope. Give them the strength to carry on and to know that they still have a purpose on this earth. Lord I am asking that each day they would grow stronger in the knowledge of you and how great you truly are.
Lord, on their darkest days be their light. On their loneliest days, be their friend. On their saddest days be their joy. Grant _________ to be strengthened with power to continue on. I pray that they would be firmly established in the knowledge of you. I pray that they may be able to comprehend what is the breadth, width, height and depth of your love for them. Let that unfathomable love carry them through their darkest days.
Lord, I pray that __________ would be filled with pleasant and joyful memories of ________. May each day bring a brighter hope of the future. May they grow closer to you through this experience. Let not their hearts turn bitter, angry or disillusioned. May they once again begin to trust. Bring them the divine comfort and assurance that can only come through your love.”
In Jesus name we pray. amen