Please help me to dwell on the good and the positive in my life. I know that it is You who examines our hearts. Search the inner depths of my heart and expose anything that is not of You so I can be set free of it.
Lord, where I have directed anger toward others in my life or held anger inside of me, I confess that as sin and ask You to take this burden of anger away from my soul. Heal any wounds that I have inflicted, through my words and actions, in others and myself. Help me to speak sweet words of healing, and to bring Your restoration to every situation where it is needed, for I know that pleases You.
Thank You, Lord, that You will redeem my soul in peace from the battle that is against me. I believe that You, the God of peace will crush the enemy under my feet. Help me to depart from thoughts of anger and bouts with depression; help me to seek peace and actively pursue it. Help me to live righteously because I know there is a connection between the presence of Your Holy Spirit and the fruits of self-control, peace, and joy. Thank You that You will take away all anger in me and keep me in perfect peace, because my mind is fixed on You Father. In Jesus’ name I pray. Amen.
PRAYERS TO OVERCOME THE SPIRIT OF ANGER
BASIC SCRIPTURES: James 1:19, Psalm 30:5
The rage of anger has been tearing homes apart like a wooden lion. This act is very common to see in most people whenever they are engaging in talks with each other . Anger is an act done out of provocation. God uses the story of Moses’ anger to teach us lesson. The anger of Moses was used to break the bondage of 430 years from a nation. And as such, he could not enter the Promised Land.
Ephesians 4:26-27, ”Be ye angry, and sin not: let not the sun go down upon your wrath: Neither give place to the devil.”
There are holy anger. There are anger occasioned by the devil. Holy anger is achieved when it is used to solve spiritual matters and problems.
This kind of anger cannot be motivated by sin. We find out that there was an anger of God in destroying the Sodom and Gomorrah (Genesis 19;1-29). – That’s holy anger. It was destroyed because of their sins and demonic way of life.
Anger can be described as a sin to God when it is committed for the purpose of pride, impatient, strife. Bible explain to us the story of Jezebel and Delilah.
These set of people has a destructive anger that is done for the purpose of oppression, humiliation, destruction.
Anger can best be demonstrated in words or actions. It is a nasty attitude that most people exhibited and are battling with in their various circle of life.
Some have problem in public speaking. Some don’t just know how to express good words to people in a calm way. When you just flee up in a small matter, you have the spirit of anger.
When you don’t want people to advise you on your mistakes, then you have the spirit of anger. When you choose cheap words to penetrate into people angrily, you are inviting the fruits of anger and bitterness.
The fruits anger possesses are, envy, . When the spirit of anger get hold of person, it can make you to curse people who are important in your life. It is very serious.
The ability to raise up your voice at others without self-control, it is the spirit of anger and resentment. If anger is part of your weakness, its better you cry out to God before it destroy your life.
The funny thing about this spirit, you will not know the kinds of destruction or words you have uttered out during the process, until when your head is cool.
1 John 4:1, “Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God . . .”
WHAT BAD ANGER CAN DO?
- It can destroy your marriage
- It can make your boss to issue you a sack letter
- It can make people to flee from you
- It sends a signal to your man or woman that you are not a responsible person
- It results to serious fighting and quarreling between a man and a woman
- It blocks God’s blessings when the anger is done in a bad way
- It chases away your customer because of bad customer relations
- It leads to abusive and insulting each other
- It can force you to do a very deadly thing when the spirit has really get over your head.
- It can force a woman to do evil against her husband/man
- It can force you to divorce your partner
- It can makes someone to lay a deliberate curse upon his or her partner
Anger is like a pregnancy that you cannot hide. For example, when a woman refuses to deal with the spirit of anger, it will follow her throughout the journey of her marriage.
When a husband and wife has same spirit of anger, you should have a clue whats the next thing that will happen to such marriage. It is destruction.
Bad anger is a spirit of witchcraft attitude if not handled now, the consequences will be much. How can a woman raise her voice at her husband?
How can a man grab his wife and start to use her as punching bag just as that picture. Some Christians are not believers until the fruits they possess is fully in checked.
It is difficult to fulfill your aim in life when your head is always hot, whether you are guity or not. An angry believers will remain in sin. Are you easily provoked? Do you take offence so easily?
If you do, ask God to help you today. Undo any wrong decision(s) taken in your angry state and keep a cool head
As a Christian, God expects us to avoid the spirit of anger so that he can work with out life. God bless.
NB: That spirit of anger can go and go forever. If you can do the followings:
- Love people
- Forgive people quickly
- Uproot the root of bitterness
- Stop focusing your mind so much on the person’s mistakes
- Take away pride and nagging spirit from you
- Be happy to associate yourself with people
- Read the word of God
- Get rid of hatred and wickedness
- Apologize on time when you are wrong
- Don’t judge people
- If you are seriously at a loggerhead with your wife, kindly stay away from her for some hours
- Kill the quest for vengeance
- O God forgive me of my sins that I have committed especially in the areas of anger, in Jesus name
- O God have mercy upon me and wash away my sins, in the name of Jesus.
- Father, if this spirit of anger is an in-born, take it away from me, in the name of Jesus.
- Whatever the spirit of anger has destroyed in my life………(mention them), O God, begin to repair it by Your mercy, in Jesus name.
- Father, this anger has caused my marriage, let Your peace settles in my mind, in the name of Jesus.
- Any kind of destructive power that is attacking my brain and mind, be destroyed in the name of Jesus.
- My Father, I am here for total reformation of my character. Break me and remould me again, in the name of Jesus.
- I fire back every arrow of anger, in the name of Jesus
- I destroy this spirit of anger by the power in the blood of Jesus
- Provocative anger, get out of my head, in the name of Jesus.
- Every power that want me to destroy my blessings by myself, die, in the name of Jesus .
- My character that has been polluted by the devil through anger spirit, I destroy your plans in my life, in Jesus name
- Lord Jesus, deliver me from the oppression of provocative anger, in Jesus name
- I release myself from every hot temper spirit, in the name of Jesus
- O Lord, create in me a clean and pure heart, in the name of Jesus
- My Father, let this spirit of anger stop and do not allow it to control me, in the name of Jesus.
- O Lord, those that my anger has offended in my past, forgive me, in the name of Jesus.
- Holy Spirit, arrest my spirit, in the name of Jesus
- Every demon of Delilah in me that is causing me to raise my voice at my husband, O Lord, cool my temper by the blood of Jesus.
- Anyone or organisation using my weakness against me, Father correct it by fire, in Jesus name
- O Lord, let Your holy anger cool my spirit, in the name of Jesus.
- Every spirit of pride in me, I break your backbone, in Jesus name
- I curse every spirit of anger and resentments in my life to expire, in Jesus name
- I plead the blood of Jesus over my attitude
- Lord Jesus, wash my anger with the blood of Jesus
- Evil stranger in my body, come out of my head, my mind, my face, in the name of Jesus.
- I command any demon afflicting me with this spirit to leave at once, in Jesus name
- Every inherited anger from my foundation, break by fire
- The spirit of anger hunting my marriage, be destroyed by fire, in Jesus name
- You anger, I exit you today, in Jesus name
- My marriage shall not break or suffer because of my hot temper, in the name of Jesus.
- Every mission of the enemy to make me lose my job, you are a liar, I repent from bad attitude today, in Jesus name
- I convert my bad anger into a holy anger, in the name of Jesus.
- My mouth shall not be me in trouble into trouble, in Jesus name
- Every power assigned to manipulate my mind whenever I speak, I arrest you today, in Jesus name.
- I shall not use my mouth to scatter the blessings of God for my life
- My Father, advertize me as a good person to others, in Jesus name
- Every fruit of anger causing me to smell in the nostril of my helpers, God, O Lord, I arrest my spirit, in Jesus name
- Every wicked act done deliberately against people in order to win them, i destroy the spirit in Jesus name
- Every spirit of impatient, die, in Jesus name
- Spirit of pride in my life, break by fire, in Jesus name
- I refuse to scatter my home with my hot temper and strife, in Jesus name
About a week ago, I received an email from a reader. She saw my post on overcoming disappointment, and she asked if I could help her. She is suffering in an unbearably unjust situation, and she is angry and resentful at the person causing it.
I can’t share her whole story, but the details are unimportant. Your anger and resentment are as real and honest and justified as hers are. They’re understandable.
And she’s looking for answers, just like you are.
I prayed about this woman and her family, and I prayed for you. I prayed that God would give me the words to help both of you.
My therapist says that anger is always masking a more vulnerable emotion. I think it’s helpful to look at that more vulnerable emotion and to deal with that, but you can come back to that later. For now, let’s just talk about the anger and resentment you’re feeling.
12 Bible Verses & 5 Steps to Overcoming Anger and Resentment
Concrete steps make sense to me. Give me a numbered list, and I’m a happy camper. So I created a numbered list for you.
Following the steps isn’t as easy as 1-2-3. The steps are where the real work lies. I am praying that you are challenged by these steps, and that you find a way to get through them all.
- Control your temper. (Let’s start right away with the hard stuff!)
When people mistreat us and there’s nothing we can do about it, we get angry. It isn’t fair. Parents see it in their young children who are constantly on the lookout to make sure everything is fair.
The gut reaction to get angry in the face of unfairness never really goes away. God’s Word says that we are to control our tempers, even in the face of unfairness.
Sensible people control their temper; they earn respect by overlooking wrongs. -Proverbs 19:11
Earn respect. What if the respect of men isn’t what you’re after?
Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires. -James 1:19-20
The righteousness God desires. Ouch. We may be able to brush off the respect of men, but the righteousness of God doesn’t go away so easily.
Do to others as you would like them to do to you. -Luke 6:31
When we overlook wrongs, we treat others the way we want to be treated. But what if the wrong is something really big? What if we can’t just get over it?
We still have choices. If the wrong is something monumental – abuse, neglect, criminal – then DO SOMETHING. Don’t just get angry, but take action. Enlist the help of someone who can stop it.
The reader who wrote to me has endured her situation for five months. Certainly, she has been slow to anger. But now, she is angry.
2. Don’t let your anger control you. God recognizes that sometimes, we do get angry. Often, we need to get angry to remedy a situation or to spur us on to action.
Don’t sin by letting anger control you. Think about it overnight and remain silent. -Psalm 4:4
He is saying to think about your situation, and see if it merits getting angry.
Are you saying something like, “YES! It does! I have a right to be angry. Is that wrong?”
Being angry isn’t a sin, but being controlled by anger is a sin.
And don’t sin by letting anger control you. Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry, for anger gives a foothold to the devil. -Ephesians 4:26-27
So you’re angry. Don’t let the sun go down while you are still angry. Find a way to work out the anger, pray through the anger, move past the anger before you give the devil an in-road to your psyche.
Need a pick-me-up? Go do something kind for someone. Volunteer your time. Do good, forgetting about the person who’s made you angry for a while.
Stop being angry! Turn from your rage! Do not lose your temper – it only leads to harm. -Psalm 37:8
All scriptures are God-breathed, right? Every word is true. So what of this? Stop being angry?! How do you just stop?
3. You pray. Pray for yourself. Pray for the person who is making you angry. Pray for the situation. Pray that your heart will be softened and you’ll forgive.
People can’t change people. Only God can change people.
Right now, you need to be changed, and the person who’s hurt you needs to be changed. Give yourself permission to just focus on you for now. Ask God to change you and get rid of your anger despite the rotten situation you’re in.
But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth.
Put on then, as God’s chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. -Colossians 3:8, 12-13
You are holy and beloved, my friend. You are, and you deserve better than what this anger and resentment are doing to you.
4. Forgive. I said these steps weren’t going to be easy. Pray that you can forgive the person who’s making you angry. Pray it every day, every hour, every minute if you have to.
Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you. -Ephesians 4:31-32
It’s the Golden Rule again. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Treat the person who’s made you angry with the same tenderhearted kindness that you treat your kids with.
I heard once that holding unforgiveness in your heart is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die. Unforgiveness is toxic to your soul. It affects every part of your life, and it manifests in sickness, in tension, and in anger.
Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. Do not condemn others, or it will all come back against you. Forgive others, and you will be forgiven. -Luke 6:37
We are required to forgive as the Father has forgiven us. It is not optional – and it does not come easily.
5. Love. Forgiveness is one thing, but loving is another thing entirely. Loving your enemy – the very person who’s hurt you – is also required by scripture.
Not suggested, required.
The very thought makes me feel sick for you.
You don’t want to act in a loving way towards the person who’s hurt you. Not at all.
That’s where prayer comes in again. Pray that you’ll have compassion and kindness for that person. (And keep praying it until it happens.)
Love your enemies! Do good to them. Lend to them without expecting to be repaid. Then your reward from heaven will be very great, and you will truly be acting as children of the Most High, for he is kind to those who are unthankful and wicked. -Luke 6:35
This passage goes on to say that even sinners are kind to those who love them, but it takes something special to be kind to an enemy.
You see, we don’t get to have vengeance. It’s not ours; it’s God’s alone. We are called to love God and love one another, the end.
Never pay back evil with more evil. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. Do all that you can to live in peace with everyone. Dear friends, never take revenge. Leave that to the righteous anger of God.
For the Scriptures say,
“I will take revenge;I will pay them back,”says the Lord.
Instead, If your enemies are hungry, feed them.
If they are thirsty, give them something to drink.In doing this, you will heapburning coals of shame on their heads.
Don’t let evil conquer you, but conquer evil by doing good. -Romans 12:17-21
You see, Jesus didn’t just die for you, my righteous friend. He died for the person who’s hurt you, too. He loves both of you the same. It doesn’t seem fair (there’s a parable about that), but it is so.
Jesus died for both of you because you’re both sinners.
Different stories, different sins, same black marks.
For God has not destined us for wrath, but to obtain salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep we might live with him. Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing. -1 Thessalonians 5:9-11
© 2015 – 2017, Tara Ziegmont. All rights reserved.